Now that Cox is out, who is going to fill the recruiting spot? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now that Cox is out, who is going to fill the recruiting spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Does Boykin seem like a Tuck clone? Same height, physically solid, plays in close. She can learn a lot from Morgan in the next year or two. But, as we've all said, getting a big for the future is, well, BIG.

I think Boykin is a bit more athletic and a more natural rebounder while Tuck is more skilled offensively.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
UCONN was never really going to get her. I'm not sure what Geno thought or what he was told, but every contact I know of said she was never leaving Texas, even though she was "open to it" via recruiting. And Myers is right - I forgot about Irwin.
Not only your contacts, but every one who knew anything about the situation said she was not leaving TX!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
It is not going to happen but I can dream & would like to see UCONN sign Fee Aiyeotan & make another push to get McCoy. I would really like for it to be truly Morgan's choice to leave after this year instead of sticking around because she might think the team needs her to remain competitive. If Morgan leaves we are going to be very young & thin ( thin as in few so no diet jokes please) in the post= 1 Junior ( Butler), 1 Sophomore (Boykin) & 1 Freshmen (Irwin). If McCoy is truly down to Lady Vols and Ohio State, UCONN should have no problems re-engaging because as someone suggested here the offer to McCoy might have been contingent on Cox not coming to UCONN. That contingency is now a reality.
Coco~

You know how I dislike the whole recruiting thing, CFB is the absolute worst, but every source here in the Buckeye state says, even the reputable one's are all saying it's any day know for McCoy and the Lady Bucks. 11 Warriors, the premier Buckeye Fan Site, is actually on BOOM Watch for her. I don't know because I don't keep up, but that's what the word is here. FWIW!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Coco~

You know how I dislike the whole recruiting thing, CFB is the absolute worst, but every source here in the Buckeye state says, even the reputable one's are all saying it's any day know for McCoy and the Lady Bucks. 11 Warriors, the premier Buckeye Fan Site, is actually on BOOM Watch for her. I don't know because I don't keep up, but that's what the word is here. FWIW!
twocents.gif

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco~

Well if that's the case Tori should negotiate with the OSU very wisely. First she should secure a scholarship for her sister like Kelsey Mitchell did and if she plays her cards right she might be able to secure a job for her Father in the process. But the most significant thing she needs to start teeing up is how many times a game Kelsey's is going to "allow" her to touch the ball-probably less than a handful!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Well if that's the case Tori should negotiate with the OSU very wisely. First she should secure a scholarship for her sister like Kelsey Mitchell did and if she plays her cards right she might be able to secure a job for her Father in the process. But the most significant thing she needs to start teeing up is how many times a game Kelsey's is going to "allow" her to touch the ball-probably less than a handful!
It was Coach McGuff that hired her Dad, who BTW was a very successful OH HS Baskeball Coach, you've no doubt heard of Katie Smith from tOSU, she was a great scorer as well and took a lot of shots. You may have seen that DT3's Senior year, when she didn't have much help. Injuries hit the Lady Bucks hard last season, they lost 3 players to ACL's before the first game. C Mitchell and Makayla Waterman on consecutive days, the first and second day of practice. Kelsey will be fine, as will the Lady Bucks. You'll see them for yourself in the opener.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It was Coach McGuff that hired her Dad, who BTW was a very successful OH HS Baskeball Coach, you've no doubt heard of Katie Smith from tOSU, she was a great scorer as well and took a lot of shots. You may have seen that DT3's Senior year, when she didn't have much help. Injuries hit the Lady Bucks hard last season, they lost 3 players to ACL's before the first game. C Mitchell and Makayla Waterman on consecutive days, the first and second day of practice. Kelsey will be fine, as will the Lady Bucks. You'll see them for yourself in the opener.
Actually I will see the OSU team before they play UCONN. The OSU game against South Carolina is nationally televised and should be a good one. Big props to OSU for taking on an out of conference schedule that includes UCONN, SC, and ND. With Maryland being in same conference now OSU will be playing all 4 of the FF teams from last year.
I will continue to vent at Coach McGruff for selling his soul to sign the Mitchell family. Regardless of the injuries the style of play of Mitchell (allowed by McGruff) where defense is optional and the next OSU shot is guaranteed to be worst than the last & makes for a very ugly brand of basketball. Given the level of talent & athleticism of the OSU roster the level of effort on the defensive end and the lack of collective will to share the basketball is indefensible.

Reaction Score
Does Boykin seem like a Tuck clone? Same height, physically solid, plays in close. She can learn a lot from Morgan in the next year or two. But, as we've all said, getting a big for the future is, well, BIG.
When I watched her play a saw alot of Swin Cash in her

Reaction Score
Madison McCoy (Tori's sister) received an offer from Marquette back in August, but there's been no word on a commitment to anyone since then.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have Butler for 3 more years? We have 2 more maybe 3 years for another big. No worries yet. Without Aja Wilson Kalini Brown and Lauren Cox we will still win more NCs. Im not worried...yet. Felicia the 6'9 girl from NY Im told is leaning towards Penn St and Rutgers. She needs work. Im told a great kid but is a bit of project that has a learning curve. McCoy for what ever reason has other schools. So we are at NEXT. Danielle Patterson had interest in UConn. Im sure there are other girls. We need a post player who wants UConn not someone who will come to UConn and play. To play for UConn is a total commitment. Not all kids will make that commitment. Its like some kids go to big prestigious schools and never make in big in business. Why? IMO its could be a number of reasons however in WCBB Geno knows what he's looking for. One of the most brilliant statements Geno has ever made was something to the effect that UConn isn't for everybody. There are a lot of great players but only a few can play for UConn. Its not what you are its what you can become. That is the type kid Geno is looking for. You can be great in HS and a flop in college unless you make the commitment. Even then you may not make it and then again you might be a late bloomer however at least your willing to try. Stop worrying about who we didn't get and start looking for who we can get.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stop worrying about who we didn't get and start looking for who we can get.

Well that's really up to UConn. But if you like I have a list of players UConn is mentioned to have some interest in from the '17 and '18 classes.

'17: Megan Walker, Jade Williams, Ladahzia Williams, Mikayla Cooms, Danielle Patterson

'18: Honesty Grayson, Aquira Decosta, Janai Crooms, Christyn Williams, Blair Green, Grace Berger, Mykasa Robinson, Lindsey Jarosinski (6-5), Andrea Aquino (6'9)

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Actually I will see the OSU team before they play UCONN. The OSU game against South Carolina is nationally televised and should be a good one. Big props to OSU for taking on an out of conference schedule that includes UCONN, SC, and ND. With Maryland being in same conference now OSU will be playing all 4 of the FF teams from last year.
I will continue to vent at Coach McGruff for selling his soul to sign the Mitchell family. Regardless of the injuries the style of play of Mitchell (allowed by McGruff) where defense is optional and the next OSU shot is guaranteed to be worst than the last & makes for a very ugly brand of basketball. Given the level of talent & athleticism of the OSU roster the level of effort on the defensive end and the lack of collective will to share the basketball is indefensible.
I don't disagree with many of your points, but McGuff brings a style and flash that has been sorely lacking for the Lady Bucks. Jim Foster and Nancy Darsch before him just coached boring basketball, even though they had some great players. McGuff reminds me of those old Alex English, Denver Nuggets teams. They said we'll just outscore you every night, that brand of BB while entertaining isn't conducive to winning or sustained greatness. The Lady Bucks aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be on offense. Kelsey was a concensus AA as a frosh, not many people have done that. Alston is a scorer deluxe and Alexa Hart will make the freshman-to-sophomore improvement. Kalpana Beach is another experienced big, Makayla Waterman and Kianna Holland can both score inside and outside. Shalya Cooper is just a BB Player and does whatever the team needs, Cait Craft is the same, albeit with less athleticism than Cooper. KMitch will have to do a lot less this year and that will make her better. I hope the D catches up to the O, things will be very interesteing in Buckeyeland if they do.

Reaction Score
So what does Geno do now? Nothing or does he try to recruit another big? Have a smaller number of players next year and hope for a bigger haul for 2017?
Last year Geno was able to put 5 players on the floor that could all hit 3's. We could be the Golden State Warriors of WCBB. We go small, we run, we press, and on offense spread you out and shoot 3's while your bigs shoot 2's. Simply put 3 is more than 2 - we win. The benefit of great outside shooting is it opens up driving lanes when a player has a quickness mismatch. KLS is 6'3 so she guards the opposing 4. I think Collier and Gabby Williams are very good undersized rebounder's.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There was an interesting comment by Geno at the AAC media day panel discussions regarding trends in basketball - he said that more and more coaches are understanding that the most important thing in basketball is the ball, so the best way to play the game is with as many players on the court at the same time who can handle the ball without turning it over, pass the ball, and shoot the ball. The result is that you are seeing more teams that are playing four or five guard like players. I think you look at teams like Dayton and Princeton from last year and the success they had. And Uconn has most years been more interested in ball handling skills than size - great when the two combine in a player like Stewart or Stef, but if you go back further 2002 - none of the players on his 'best team ever' was over 6'2". It also points to why Kiah may have struggled more at Uconn to establish her 'value' to the team - great defender and rebounder, ball handling was always a comparative weakness.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There was an interesting comment by Geno at the AAC media day panel discussions regarding trends in basketball - he said that more and more coaches are understanding that the most important thing in basketball is the ball, so the best way to play the game is with as many players on the court at the same time who can handle the ball without turning it over, pass the ball, and shoot the ball. The result is that you are seeing more teams that are playing four or five guard like players. I think you look at teams like Dayton and Princeton from last year and the success they had. And Uconn has most years been more interested in ball handling skills than size - great when the two combine in a player like Stewart or Stef, but if you go back further 2002 - none of the players on his 'best team ever' was over 6'2". It also points to why Kiah may have struggled more at Uconn to establish her 'value' to the team - great defender and rebounder, ball handling was always a comparative weakness.

Geno talked about this a bit in his Zach Lowe interview. Although most of the media focused on how may cuss words Geno used, he said some interesting things about the direction of the game. He likes the changes he's seeing in the NBA which is becoming more of a perimeter game with emphasis on skilled players (e.g., Warriors, Spurs). You can tell Geno loves the international style with a wider lane and less emphasis on anchoring a big center in the lane. The reason Stokes didn't play much against South Carolina was because SC's big post players couldn't defend against the offensive skill of Stewart and Tuck. Having big post players is obviously important but the more fluid game Geno envisions requires that they have the skills to handle the ball, pass and make shots outside the lane.

Reaction Score
When I watched her play a saw alot of Swin Cash in her
Can definitely see the Swin Cash thought but my first thought was a long Kelly Faris. DJB is so fundamentally sound, boxes out well, moves her feet well on defense, dribbles with the head up and thinks pass first( of course if you played 3x3 with NC and KLS I suspect all of us would think pass first). A further thought is that when DJB leaves after her senior season she will be remembered as a quintessential UCONN player.

Reaction Score
Well that's really up to UConn. But if you like I have a list of players UConn is mentioned to have some interest in from the '17 and '18 classes.

'17: Megan Walker, Jade Williams, Ladahzia Williams, Mikayla Cooms, Danielle Patterson

'18: Honesty Grayson, Aquira Decosta, Janai Crooms, Christyn Williams, Blair Green, Grace Berger, Mykasa Robinson, Lindsey Jarosinski (6-5), Andrea Aquino (6'9)

Don't forget Sleepy, Dopey, Doc, Grumpy, etc...

It's amazing how much chatter around here is focused on 2-3 years down the road. For UConn fans, this year can be so special (4 NCs in a row, Undefeated, Best Ever Team...). Why not enjoy it?! Many think this will be a "mail-it-in" year. For those of us who have played and/or coached, we know that past performance NEVER guarantees future success. One awkward rebound by Stewie; one slippery cut by Tuck; one ill advised dive into the stands by Mo; and the season gets a whole lot more interesting. Let's get this party started and enjoy the ride! We can worry about next year come mid-April...at the Victory Parade.

Reaction Score
We have Butler for 3 more years? We have 2 more maybe 3 years for another big. No worries yet. Without Aja Wilson Kalini Brown and Lauren Cox we will still win more NCs. Im not worried...yet. Felicia the 6'9 girl from NY Im told is leaning towards Penn St and Rutgers. She needs work. Im told a great kid but is a bit of project that has a learning curve. McCoy for what ever reason has other schools. So we are at NEXT. Danielle Patterson had interest in UConn. Im sure there are other girls. We need a post player who wants UConn not someone who will come to UConn and play. To play for UConn is a total commitment. Not all kids will make that commitment. Its like some kids go to big prestigious schools and never make in big in business. Why? IMO its could be a number of reasons however in WCBB Geno knows what he's looking for. One of the most brilliant statements Geno has ever made was something to the effect that UConn isn't for everybody. There are a lot of great players but only a few can play for UConn. Its not what you are its what you can become. That is the type kid Geno is looking for. You can be great in HS and a flop in college unless you make the commitment. Even then you may not make it and then again you might be a late bloomer however at least your willing to try. Stop worrying about who we didn't get and start looking for who we can get.
Ditto!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Don't forget Sleepy, Dopey, Doc, Grumpy, etc...

It's amazing how much chatter around here is focused on 2-3 years down the road. For UConn fans, this year can be so special (4 NCs in a row, Undefeated, Best Ever Team...). Why not enjoy it?! Many think this will be a "mail-it-in" year. For those of us who have played and/or coached, we know that past performance NEVER guarantees future success. One awkward rebound by Stewie; one slippery cut by Tuck; one ill advised dive into the stands by Mo; and the season gets a whole lot more interesting. Let's get this party started and enjoy the ride! We can worry about next year come mid-April...at the Victory Parade.

I don't think you yet appreciate how multidimensional and renaissance man and woman we Husky fans are!!

Reaction Score
Forget about who didn't choose UCONN and vice versa! I'm only focused on who decides to play at UCONN. We've missed out on a lot of #1 recruits...that didn't stop us from getting 10 championships! We may not get the next #1 recruit but that definitely won't stop the winning ways at UCONN!

Reaction Score
Forget about who didn't choose UCONN and vice versa! I'm only focused on who decides to play at UCONN. We've missed out on a lot of #1 recruits...that didn't stop us from getting 10 championships! We may not get the next #1 recruit but that definitely won't stop the winning ways at UCONN!
I promise you it will. If UCONN keeps missing out on top talent such as #1 and #2 recruits. The program might continue its winning ways, however it'll be much harder to win Championships, regardless how good of a coach Geno is. That's just my opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom