Now that Cox is out, who is going to fill the recruiting spot? | The Boneyard

Now that Cox is out, who is going to fill the recruiting spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So what does Geno do now? Nothing or does he try to recruit another big? Have a smaller number of players next year and hope for a bigger haul for 2017?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UConn is done for 2016.
Bingo. UCONN is recruiting a plethora of bigs from 2017, and they are in great need for kids from that class with size. Assuming Morgan stays, she'd still graduate the May before the 2017 kids come to campus.

UCONN will have only 2 post players when the 2017 kids are freshmen - Butler and Boykin. We don't need a lot of kids, but certainly a body or 2 from that class would be essential.

Reaction Score
Bingo. UCONN is recruiting a plethora of bigs from 2017, and they are in great need for kids from that class with size. Assuming Morgan stays, she'd still graduate the May before the 2017 kids come to campus.

UCONN will have only 2 post players when the 2017 kids are freshmen - Butler and Boykin. We don't need a lot of kids, but certainly a body or 2 from that class would be essential.

And that's why Aja and Lauren were so important to the Husky future. Also, either could have stepped into a situation in which she would have plenty of playing time--and a few nc's over the rainbow. Really good bigs are hard to find in wcbb.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well Irwin can play the 4. And I imagine Collier could play it undersized (like Maya did) if needed. Hopefully though, we can add a big or 2 in that 2017 class.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And that's why Aja and Lauren were so important to the Husky future. Also, either could have stepped into a situation in which she would have plenty of playing time--and a few nc's over the rainbow. Really good bigs are hard to find in wcbb.
UCONN was never really going to get her. I'm not sure what Geno thought or what he was told, but every contact I know of said she was never leaving Texas, even though she was "open to it" via recruiting. And Myers is right - I forgot about Irwin.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is not going to happen but I can dream & would like to see UCONN sign Fee Aiyeotan & make another push to get McCoy. I would really like for it to be truly Morgan's choice to leave after this year instead of sticking around because she might think the team needs her to remain competitive. If Morgan leaves we are going to be very young & thin ( thin as in few so no diet jokes please) in the post= 1 Junior ( Butler), 1 Sophomore (Boykin) & 1 Freshmen (Irwin). If McCoy is truly down to Lady Vols and Ohio State, UCONN should have no problems re-engaging because as someone suggested here the offer to McCoy might have been contingent on Cox not coming to UCONN. That contingency is now a reality.

Reaction Score

Geno has been thru this one before. Hand wringing fans, media pundits, all proclaiming a bad recruiting year for Geno---then he pulls a Steff out of his hat, and maybe adds a kid from NY--Then there is the: "it's good for WBB for Uconn to have a bad Recruiting year"[[[ but Not for me---my brain says good to lose once in a while--my fan head says NEVER.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is not going to happen but I can dream & would like to see UCONN sign Fee Aiyeotan & make another push to get McCoy. I would really like for it to be truly Morgan's choice to leave after this year instead of sticking around because she might think the team needs her to remain competitive. If Morgan leaves we are going to be very young & thin ( thin as in few so no diet jokes please) in the post= 1 Junior ( Butler), 1 Sophomore (Boykin) & 1 Freshmen (Irwin). If McCoy is truly down to Lady Vols and Ohio State, UCONN should have no problems re-engaging because as someone suggested here the offer to McCoy might have been contingent on Cox not coming to UCONN. That contingency is now a reality.

Totally agree, except I do not feel Boykin is a post and that use will not be her highest and best use.

Reaction Score
Question: if Mogan stays for graduated school, can she get another year to play?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Question: if Mogan stays for graduated school, can she get another year to play?
Yes. She will be eligible to play the full 2016-17 (Her last) if she chooses to do so.

Reaction Score
Yes. She will be eligible to play the full 2016-17 (Her last) if she chooses to do so.
How about 2016-2017? Since she may be still in the graduated school?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Totally agree, except I do not feel Boykin is a post and that use will not be her highest and best use.

What position do you think she is? Everything I've read about her makes her sound like a 4 all the way. Of course, I'm sure most Huskies fans have read much more than I have about her.

In case this is an issue of diction, I consider both 4s and 5s to be "posts".

Reaction Score
What position do you think she is? Everything I've read about her makes her sound like a 4 all the way. Of course, I'm sure most Huskies fans have read much more than I have about her.

As does every basketball coach in the world.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Boykin is more of a natural 3 IMO because she does not have the bulk, height, or lower/upper body strength to play in the post consistently.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

She's kind of a tweener; a rebounder, energy player but with the ability to guard multiple positions including out on the perimeter from what I've seen. A bit Ashja Jones w/out the high-scoring ceiling.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Thanks, Coco and Sluconn.

I just re-read her HG and PN evals. They both mention her as a 4, but it does appear she has more range on her shot than I realized.

She does look a little lean for the post but a college weight training program can help that. Be interesting to see how and how much she is used this year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks, Coco and Sluconn.

I just re-read her HG and PN evals. They both mention her as a 4, but it does appear she has more range on her shot than I realized.

She does look a little lean for the post but a college weight training program can help that. Be interesting to see how and how much she is used this year.
I think she will be used plenty and like a Swiss Army knife. You can put her at the top of the press because she is long, you can start her in a wing zone position and have the defense switch everything on the perimeter. She a good enough shooter you can't always sag off of her 3 ball. She can beat you off the dribble to the basket and her pull up game is on point. Some where out there there is footage of her KLS and Collier And Arike put in work in the FIBA 3 on 3 tournament in 2014.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Bingo. I do not. I'm a bit old school to be sure, but 6'2" on a good day is not a post - with that there are bonuses: she just may be Kelly Faris in a bigger body. Time will tell. BTW Kib or someone else may suggest misuse of diction. Definition and diction different to many, including myself; but you figured out where I was at, so ...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The ability to post-up does not make a post, but I'm to happy with a gun trade I made today to argue.

No argument from me. Was genuinely curious as to whether you thought she was a 3 or a 4 but not a "post".

Reaction Score

I think Morgan will have the benefit of a Master's degree if she stays the extra year. Combining academics and sport is a great idea--and Tuck may have a shot a 5 nc's. Pretty good pay-off for her helping out . . .

Reaction Score
She's kind of a tweener; a rebounder, energy player but with the ability to guard multiple positions including out on the perimeter from what I've seen. A bit Ashja Jones w/out the high-scoring ceiling.

Does Boykin seem like a Tuck clone? Same height, physically solid, plays in close. She can learn a lot from Morgan in the next year or two. But, as we've all said, getting a big for the future is, well, BIG.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No argument from me. Was genuinely curious as to whether you thought she was a 3 or a 4 but not a "post".
Yup, sees a 4 or a 3; hunch she'll see more time as a 4 - but we have to see a least quite a bit of the year before predictions are worth much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom