Now that Christmas is over.... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Now that Christmas is over....

Reaction Score
No they aren't. That's complete horse hockey.

This past year, Wichita State started competing with lower-level P5s. That's been their upper limit.

You're just making things up.
Am I? Obviously basketball is a smaller roster but have you checked these guys offer sheets?
Can you please tell us who offered and where they committed??? Please??? Can you pick one school on their sheets that would be considered classes about Wichita State?

Morris Udeze
Alex Lomax

Reaction Score
LOL at needing to play a sport in college to see where recruits go.

2018 Top Basketball Recruits

Who is making things up? Let me know who picked someplace like Wichita State over someplace like Duke.

One kid from St Louis picked St Louis. One kid went with his dad to Northern Iowa.

One kid picked Rhode Island, one UConn and one Princeton.

Everyone else is going to a P5 or Big East school.

So much for what you ‘know for sure’.
Morris Udeze
Alex Lomax

Reaction Score
So do all Bama players get to the NFL?
Could Donald Brown have played for Bama?
Hindsight is great isn't it?

Reaction Score
LOL at needing to play a sport in college to see where recruits go.

2018 Top Basketball Recruits

Who is making things up? Let me know who picked someplace like Wichita State over someplace like Duke.

One kid from St Louis picked St Louis. One kid went with his dad to Northern Iowa.

One kid picked Rhode Island, one UConn and one Princeton.

Everyone else is going to a P5 or Big East school.

So much for what you ‘know for sure’.
Nate Hinton. Houston Commit.
Check his offer sheet please

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Am I? Obviously basketball is a smaller roster but have you checked these guys offer sheets?
Can you please tell us who offered and where they committed??? Please??? Can you pick one school on their sheets that would be considered classes about Wichita State?

Morris Udeze
Alex Lomax

Oh wow the 123rd ranked player picked WSU over Florida. The sport is fundamentally changed.

WSU beat Ohio State for a player that Albany thought they had a shot at. Probably should auto-advance them to the Final Four the next few years.

Reaction Score
Now why in the world would Zach Scott choose to go to Florida Gulf Coast (a hot mid major) over Pitt?????
Geez. Wonder why man.

Reaction Score
Oh wow the 123rd ranked player picked WSU over Florida. The sport is fundamentally changed.

WSU beat Ohio State for a player that Albany thought they had a shot at. Probably should auto-advance them to the Final Four the next few years.
That’s not the point we argued Whaler. I’m giving you Player after Player that was good enough to get offered by a high level P5 that decided they wanted to playing time over pine time.
And now you’re giving me counter points.
Be fair brother.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Now why in the world would Zach Scott choose to go to Florida Gulf Coast (a hot mid major) over Pitt?????
Geez. Wonder why man.

Well based on your logic in this thread - they would do it because they can’t get playing time at a better school.

Do you see how dumb that is yet? Or do you think he wouldn’t play at Pitt?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That’s not the point we argued Whaler. I’m giving you Player after Player that was good enough to get offered by a high level P5 that decided they wanted to playing time over pine time.
And now you’re giving me counter points.
Be fair brother.

You are making up in your head why they picked a certain school. Nobody would not go to Pitt because of playing time. It’s absurd. All they have is playing time.

Reaction Score

My point has always been geared towards the 3 star guy in football. Not the 5 star guy. I know where he’s going and we know he will play at the big time school. It’s the 3 star guy that needs to think a little harder. And the players from Memphis and Houston (that you pointed out 5 posts ago) are slowly starting to realize that there’s value playing at any FBS not named Bama.
Once UConn starts winning again they’ll be able to get those fringe guys

Reaction Score
Well based on your logic in this thread - they would do it because they can’t get playing time at a better school.

Do you see how dumb that is yet? Or do you think he wouldn’t play at Pitt?
He made the calculated the decision that he will probably start at FGCU then sit the bench at Pitt because he didn’t want to have to claw against a stacked roster.
Not sure why you can’t understand that he’s making my argument for me.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have an example of even 1 player who made the NFL while riding the pine?

Haven't read the entire thread yet, so I don't know if he was mentioned, but Matt Cassell backed up Carson Palmer and Matt Lienert for 4 years and lead the Pats to a 10-5 record (Brady got credit for Kansas City) and got a huge contract a year later.

Also, CBS and FOX love to remind viewers that Chris Hogan played lacrosse at Penn State, not football.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Where were the Duke and UK offers for Udeze and Lomax? That's the point you were arguing.

Reaction Score
You are making up in your head why they picked a certain school. Nobody would not go to Pitt because of playing time. It’s absurd. All they have is playing time.
Clearly I’m not. These kids are looking at rosters and they don’t want to sit for a few years behind a junior or senior that is a highly rated player. Again basketball is slightly different because of the numbers Amen amount of offers that go out.
Kids want to play early.
Going to a P5 to sit on the bench just to say you’re there will slowly change. That’s why you see the rise of the mid major programs. In the past only a handful of schools dominated the sport. Now you see teams that you never would have imagined being in a conversation with a P5 actually competing. That’s because more fringe guys are opting for playing time and the smart coaches are selling the heck out of that.
UConn just needs to start winning again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He made the calculated the decision that he will probably start at FGCU then sit the bench at Pitt because he didn’t want to have to claw against a stacked roster.
Not sure why you can’t understand that he’s making my argument for me.

If a self proclaimed basketball guy thinks Pitt has a ‘stacked roster’. I don’t even know what to say other than you are completely disconnected from reality.

Florida Gulf Coast is better than Pitt is today.

You want it to be one way - but it’s not. It’s the other.

Reaction Score
Where were the Duke and UK offers for Udeze and Lomax? That's the point you were arguing.
It wasn’t just contained to two schools man. Why are you guys inventing things? All I know is that Florida and Ohio State are MAJOR basketball programs. And these guys chose to go somewhere else that’s considered mid major

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can you even imagine a player not going to the #162nd team in the KP ranking because they are afraid they won’t get playing time?

Reaction Score
If a self proclaimed basketball guy thinks Pitt has a ‘stacked roster’. I don’t even know what to say other than you are completely disconnected from reality.

Florida Gulf Coast is better than Pitt is today.

You want it to be one way - but it’s not. It’s the other.
Played Division 1 college basketball (walked on and walked out MVP my senior year) and had a contract to play in the Superior League in Puerto Rico but chose to stop chasing the dream as I wasn’t quite NBA material and had a daughter on the way. So I know a thing or two about competing at a high level.
You win Though.
You’re moving the goal post with your counter points. I stand by what I’ve been saying. Pitt and OSU are considered to be major programs in my opinion. Does it fluctuate from year to year, absolutely.
But you everyone has a right to their assessment.

Reaction Score
Can you even imagine a player not going to the #162nd team in the KP ranking because they are afraid they won’t get playing time?
I guess we were just using Bama as a reference but there are lots of P5 schools that are better points for reference. I’m sure UconnDan articulated that point.

Reaction Score
One thing I respect about this thread the most is that no mater how redundant this topic has become most posts are responded to. In this day and age where simple discussion can never occur without craziness ensuing is quite refreshing.
Thanks to all who participated in this discussion.
True junkies we are!
Seriously, Whaler, I respect your position. Thanks for the banter

Go UConn!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The argument to me is about snaps. Plenty of four star kids at top 10 programs could have increased their NFL odds by transferring a notch down (say Clemson to West Virgina) to get more snaps which allows for needed development and screen time. To me there is nothing more complicated about this. At bama, you might be a 5th round level talent, but there are two players in front of you with 1st and 3rd round talent and so your snaps are limited and you never develop.

This!

That is all that is being said. The argument being offered by the detractors is that if you are at a top program and you don't make the 2-deep, them you shouldn't have been in the NFL to begin with. Which of course is false. Four years of field development is a long, long time. Of course the top end player will always be the top end player. But the guy behind him could make the league too under the right conditions.

Unless some folks are suggesting that entire rosters in the SEC are getting drafted, which they clearly aren't...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Haven't read the entire thread yet, so I don't know if he was mentioned, but Matt Cassell backed up Carson Palmer and Matt Lienert for 4 years and lead the Pats to a 10-5 record (Brady got credit for Kansas City) and got a huge contract a year later.

Also, CBS and FOX love to remind viewers that Chris Hogan played lacrosse at Penn State, not football.

That was the one (and only) example that we could all think of. It's extremely extremely rare, to say the least...

Reaction Score
Nick Williams from East Brunswick, NJ wasn’t going to Alabama. Not recruiting him. In fact, they play 10 seconds of his film. That’s it.

The age old debate - Hornet - is that UConn can go into Ohio, Georgia, Virginia and get 4Star or even 3 Star. Over other P5 Offers. My minority monotony is between Greater NYC then Upstate NY then Eastern Canada then MA then our State CT (including the recently more productive Prep), UConn can evaluate better ... and grab better talent than the last 7 years. Three Stars. Faster stronger more capacity to develop. That’s the core of our Program recruiting. Kendall Reyes Ryan Griffin grabs. That’s HCRE first 14 months.

Later. We win Genuine Three Stars and maybe an odd Four Star. In Maryland and Pennsylvania and Virginia. I guarantee you Terry Richardson will repeat his success in South Florida.

In 3 years, we will have a 4 solid deep RB position; far better OLine with 2-3 backups ready to step up; and speed at CB and DE; and 6 guys at LB that run and hit. That turns a 3-9 to Bowls then competing for AAC championships.

Piping up that our guys don’t have P5 Offers misses the surprising history of 2003-2009. And about 30 extraordinary stories.
Agreed.
Excellent points. I do believe that’s where we’re headed. Starting with this class.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That was the one (and only) example that we could all think of. It's extremely extremely rare, to say the least...
There're some 7th round fliers and UDFAs that catch on with teams who were stars in other sports in college as well. Brock Lesnar played a preseason with the Vikings, but was a college wrestler. Jimmy Graham played basketball at "The U, " though he played Football during his grad year (The Brian Fair route). Chevy Troutman was given a tryout with the Redskins and Antonio Gates was recruited for college football, but never played. Instead he was a forward for Kent State basketball.

Reaction Score
This thread is bananas. While it is possible that a 3* prospect might expect to see more playing time day one going to Tulsa instead of Oklahoma, or Temple instead of Penn State, if all things are equal 99 out of 100 times they are taking the perceived bigger name offer. Wherever you go you are going to have to compete. Most kids won't shy from that competition. While making The NFL is likely the stated goal for most P5/G5 Prospects, the reality is that most won't even sniff an opportunity at the league. Knowing this most kids are going to take the chance to play for the bigger programs competing on the biggest stages. Go to USF and play in front of 15,000 people in an empty pro stadium against East Carolina on a Thursday Night, or go to UF and play against UGA in front of 85,000 fans at The Cocktail Party? It isn't that hard of a choice for the average 17 year old.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom