Now that Christmas is over.... | The Boneyard

Now that Christmas is over....

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I bet you wanted to make this post last night at 7 and had all you could do to wait.

The staff seems to be making a twitter effort on that VT running back, but he appears to be looking for a P5 opportunity.

The Hister kid from Rutty would be a good get for our safety position.

Reaction Score
I think the Hester kid doesn't look at us simply because Rutgers is/has been a rival school to us.. You're either with UConn or RU (player wise), but it would be nice if he saw a HUGE opportunity up in Storrs..

Same with the VaTech back... HUGE opportunity for him, but for some reason UConn remains unappealing to the masses.. We gotta change that mindset... I mean, MAC, MWC, other AAC schools are getting kids to come play for them ( we did get Shirreffs a few years back though).... We need more Shirreffs to come in and help offset some of the mess made over the past 4,5,6, 7 seasons

Reaction Score
Non-P5 team with back to back 3 win seasons, perhaps?
I would like to think that every kid who straps on a helmet wants to play at the next level? Seeing that nowadays players make it to the league from all divisions, wouldn’t it be worth the consideration to come to a G5 school, tear it up, knowing you will be getting constant looks from NFL scouts? I got from a reliable source that UConn had over 90 NFL scouts come through their facility this past year. And of course with RE’s NFL pedigree it seems like a no brainer? Even though UConn finished 3-9 and are in the AAC, it’s not like you’re playing suspect teams where scouts will be questioning your level of competition. If you ball out in the AAC believe me you will get a shot at a Combine invite- not to mention your non conference schedule will have a few big games ala Indiana, Illinois, Clemson down the road?
Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Hester is done playing the game. Multiple injuries over his career.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Kiy Hester leaves Rutgers football: 'Looking at every opportunity I can'
I'm pretty sure Hester is done playing the game. Multiple injuries over his career.

"My main thing right now is graduating and trying to see what the best option is for me and my family," said Hester, a communications major and labor studies minor. "I'm undecided right now. I'm definitely still going to play ball, but I'm taking care of my body and focusing on graduating. That was my main thing when I came back home (as a Miami transfer)."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would like to think that every kid who straps on a helmet wants to play at the next level? Seeing that nowadays players make it to the league from all divisions, wouldn’t it be worth the consideration to come to a G5 school, tear it up, knowing you will be getting constant looks from NFL scouts? I got from a reliable source that UConn had over 90 NFL scouts come through their facility this past year. And of course with RE’s NFL pedigree it seems like a no brainer? Even though UConn finished 3-9 and are in the AAC, it’s not like you’re playing suspect teams where scouts will be questioning your level of competition. If you ball out in the AAC believe me you will get a shot at a Combine invite- not to mention your non conference schedule will have a few big games ala Indiana, Illinois, Clemson down the road?
Thoughts?
I don't disagree and I think that is exactly the point that I am sure REv2 makes recruiting. I also think that if you have an offer from Alabama vs. UConn, most kids first reaction would be to take Alabama. The decision becomes a lot harder if you are deciding between Rutgers or BCU and UConn but being a P5 team is clearly a pro rather than a con.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't disagree and I think that is exactly the point that I am sure REv2 makes recruiting. I also think that if you have an offer from Alabama vs. UConn, most kids first reaction would be to take Alabama. The decision becomes a lot harder if you are deciding between Rutgers or BCU and UConn but being a P5 team is clearly a pro rather than a con.

And to be honest, I don't even understand the decision for Alabama if you aren't a top 100 type prospect. What good is it for a high level 3 star recruit or low level 4 start recruit to sit on the bench for 3 years out of 4? At that point, come to UConn, play for all four years on the field on ESPN, work your game to the best of your ability, and go to the NFL.

Besides, the 4 star recruit is the BMOC here. At Alabama, he's just recruit #23...

Reaction Score
Kiy Hester leaves Rutgers football: 'Looking at every opportunity I can'

"My main thing right now is graduating and trying to see what the best option is for me and my family," said Hester, a communications major and labor studies minor. "I'm undecided right now. I'm definitely still going to play ball, but I'm taking care of my body and focusing on graduating. That was my main thing when I came back home (as a Miami transfer)."

Thanks for the link. I was going off what a Rutgers Grad Acquaintance had told me. I try to stay off their boards as they are typically 50% bile and 50% delusion. That said I wish PSU had a scholarship for this kid just for the meltdown it would cause over there. Right now their posters are patting this kid on the back and wishing him well. If he ever ended up in Happy Valley... :D

Reaction Score
And to be honest, I don't even understand the decision for Alabama if you aren't a top 100 type prospect. What good is it for a high level 3 star recruit or low level 4 start recruit to sit on the bench for 3 years out of 4? At that point, come to UConn, play for all four years on the field on ESPN, work your game to the best of your ability, and go to the NFL.

Besides, the 4 star recruit is the BMOC here. At Alabama, he's just recruit #23...
Couldn’t agree more. However, I’m not sure most kids think that far out.
They need to understand that the best way to make it to Sunday is by being on the field.
I’m sure the coaches sell them on playing time as well so they go for it and wind up sitting on the pine then transferring to Kentucky State

Reaction Score
Let's be honest....Most kids in that situation don't care about being BMOC. That's not what drives them. They're looking for an opportunity to get a paycheck that could change, not only their lives but their family's as well. Kids like that go to Alabama because (1) they are confident in their ability (2) they're being coached by the best in the game (3) they're competing against the best everyday (4) they know that even if they don't play much, there are still far greater opportunities to make an NFL roster by riding the pine at Alabama where NFL eyes are at nearly every practice. It's no different then the girls that want to play for Geno. Or those that choose to go to Kentucky, Duke, or NC in basketball each year. They're competing with and against the most talented players every single day. Even at the high school level it happens. I live in the Amity school district. Amity is a very competitive baseball program. I have a friend who is the HC at a D2 school. He told me they will recruit kids that never play at Amity over most kids from other area high schools because they compete against the best every day and the program is run like a college program. Those kids are more college ready physically, mentally, and emotionally to play at the next level. Even if they've had limited game opportunities. That's not a knock on UConn. In my experience with young athletes, they want to compete against the best, whether that's in practice or in games, because it challenges them to work harder, train harder, and prepare to compete. Success is where preparation meets opportunity. Competitive kids are driven to succeed. They're willing to prepare (even if that means waiting for their time) and are looking for the opportunity to succeed at the highest level.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I also think that many (but certainly not all) HS coaches push kids to the more prestigious football programs/conferences possible because they are curious what "their kids" will do and because they like to put that story on their own resume. "I sent Kid A to 'Michigan' is just what they like to say at the cocktail party....and lets face it, when Michigan (or like school) calls and wants your opinion as coach, for many its hard not to become influenced by their gravity.

Reaction Score
Let's be honest....Most kids in that situation don't care about being BMOC. That's not what drives them. They're looking for an opportunity to get a paycheck that could change, not only their lives but their family's as well. Kids like that go to Alabama because (1) they are confident in their ability (2) they're being coached by the best in the game (3) they're competing against the best everyday (4) they know that even if they don't play much, there are still far greater opportunities to make an NFL roster by riding the pine at Alabama where NFL eyes are at nearly every practice. It's no different then the girls that want to play for Geno. Or those that choose to go to Kentucky, Duke, or NC in basketball each year. They're competing with and against the most talented players every single day. Even at the high school level it happens. I live in the Amity school district. Amity is a very competitive baseball program. I have a friend who is the HC at a D2 school. He told me they will recruit kids that never play at Amity over most kids from other area high schools because they compete against the best every day and the program is run like a college program. Those kids are more college ready physically, mentally, and emotionally to play at the next level. Even if they've had limited game opportunities. That's not a knock on UConn. In my experience with young athletes, they want to compete against the best, whether that's in practice or in games, because it challenges them to work harder, train harder, and prepare to compete. Success is where preparation meets opportunity. Competitive kids are driven to succeed. They're willing to prepare (even if that means waiting for their time) and are looking for the opportunity to succeed at the highest level.
I hear ya man. But when I turn on the set and watch all of the pre draft stuff they always put up a strength and weakeness segment of said prospect on the field.
I get it. Alabama and Big name schools have lots of talent to go up against but let’s face it, there’s something to say about performing in practice and something to say when you’re making plays on the field. To me it just goes further. Yes, players make it from Alabama that never see the field because of what you mentioned. But I believe more players that consistently start at G5 schools have a better advantage via playing time reps than a pine rider at an SEC school.

Reaction Score
You go up against your guys in practice every day and you get to know their tendencies, maybe you take a play or two off, etc. But when those lights come on and you don’t know the guy in front of you it’s just different. And as an NFL talent evaluator who’s charged with making decisions that will affect milllions against my payroll I want to see someone perform in games.
There are so many practice studs that fizzle out when the lights come on.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have an example of even 1 player who made the NFL while riding the pine? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.

Be that as it may, nobody is going to argue against the top 100 kid going to Alabama and knowing that he's going to start at least 2 of his possible 4 years on the field. And the first round of the draft always shows that to be true.

What I'm talking about is what happens in the second and third round, where the stars of the "lesser" football brands (non P5) start to really float to the top. For instance, in last year's draft, you had representatives of the following schools in the first three rounds:

1st round - Western Michigan, Temple

2nd round - ECU, West Carolina, Ashland, South Alabama, Houston, UConn, Villanova, Temple, Western Michigan

3rd round - Charlotte, Eastern Washington, Western Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Troy, Toledo, Youngstown State, UCF, Northern Illinois

That's my point for the 3 star and lower ranked 4 star athlete; come to UConn, play 4 years on the field on ESPN, and get your NFL contract while the guy riding the pine at Alabama gets a nice jacket... :cool:

Reaction Score
I also think that many (but certainly not all) HS coaches push kids to the more prestigious football programs/conferences possible because they are curious what "their kids" will do and because they like to put that story on their own resume. "I sent Kid A to 'Michigan' is just what they like to say at the cocktail party....and lets face it, when Michigan (or like school) calls and wants your opinion as coach, for many its hard not to become influenced by their gravity.
Let’s face it. Alabama consistently gets 3 to 5 Star guys year in and year out. So one can assume their entire 85 scholarship team consists of those. I’m not including walk ons here. Are you telling me that Alabama is cranking out 3 or 4 dozen NFL players each year? You know how many guys at those schools who were highly recruited that decided to stay you don’t even hear from after they signed out of high school? I sincerely believe there are more guys that have balled out on the field at G5’s that made it to the league than guys who you never heard of or sat the bench at P5’s.
I also believe schools like Alabama recruit guys to be bench players because they need the competitive depth fully knowing those guys will never see the field. And of course they sell them on the “you’ll make it to the NFL and your body won’t be banged up from all that playing time,” crap. Most competive guys that aren’t playing after year 2 that constantly see themselves getting recruited over wind up transferring to a G5.
Heck, look at some of the UConn players that have left this off season. They see the recruits coming in and rather then stay and duke it out they transfer out of frustration.

Reaction Score
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have an example of even 1 player who made the NFL while riding the pine? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.

Be that as it may, nobody is going to argue against the top 100 kid going to Alabama and knowing that he's going to start at least 2 of his possible 4 years on the field. And the first round of the draft always shows that to be true.

What I'm talking about is what happens in the second and third round, where the stars of the "lesser" football brands (non P5) start to really float to the top. For instance, in last year's draft, you had representatives of the following schools in the first three rounds:

1st round - Western Michigan, Temple

2nd round - ECU, West Carolina, Ashland, South Alabama, Houston, UConn, Villanova, Temple, Western Michigan

3rd round - Charlotte, Eastern Washington, Western Kentucky, Louisiana Tech, Troy, Toledo, Youngstown State, UCF, Northern Illinois

That's my point for the 3 star and lower ranked 4 star athlete; come to UConn, play 4 years on the field on ESPN, and get your NFL contract while the guy riding the pine at Alabama gets a nice jacket... :cool:
EXCELLENT POST! Thanks for the stats as well. That’s the message I was trying to articulate.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
OMG nobody picks between Alabama and the G5 except maybe Ed Oliver.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
OMG nobody picks between Alabama and the G5 except maybe Ed Oliver.

Yeah in the draft they love G5 stars over P5 players. That’s why the SEC and ACC dominate the first round and the AAC gave the world Blake Bortles and Paxton Lynch.

You're funny. I love how you chose to use Bortles as your G5 example rather than Roethlisberger...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're funny. I love how you chose to use Bortles as your G5 example rather than Roethlisberger...

I said the AAC produced them.

Nobody picks between Alabama and the G5.

You guys can slaughter the strawman you’ve invented.

If someone wants immediate playing time they might pick North Carolina or Arkansas. They don’t go to Memphis or Kent State.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

How often does a Roethlisberger come along compared to a P5 QB?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I said the AAC produced them.

Nobody picks between Alabama and the G5.

You guys can slaughter the strawman you’ve invented.

If someone wants immediate playing time they might pick North Carolina or Arkansas. They don’t go to Memphis or Kent State.

Well why did you choose to use Lynch instead of Wentz (North Dakota State) from the 2016 draft? I know, I know... AAC, right? ;)

Look, I've already said that Alabama is going to have much more sway and rightfully so. I'm using Alabama as the P5 example, perhaps uneffectively. How about I change the name to Michigan State?

I'm guessing you can understand the point if the choice for a 3 star athlete is to ride the pine at MSU or start all 4 years at UConn, that the latter offers him a better chance at the NFL if he truly is NFL material. That's the point here...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom