Now that Christmas is over.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now that Christmas is over....

Reaction Score
OMG nobody picks between Alabama and the G5 except maybe Ed Oliver.
I don’t disagree. But that winds up becoming a foolish choice. I think a mid level prospects that’s being recruited by a Power 5 is likely driven by ego. More power to them as they own their lives and have to make the choice they feel is best for them. FBS football is FBS football.
Jordan Morrison for instance. He got offered by Virginia. ACC school. Big time games. However, I think he’ll likely have a better chance starting as a freshman here than over at Virginia. And to me, those early game reps for a solid player are so invaluable when you’re considering an NFL career down the road.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How often does a Roethlisberger come along compared to a P5 QB?

Off the top of my head FCS has three ‘starters’ Wentz, Flacco and Jim G. The G5 has 2: Carr and Bort.

NC frigging State had four guys start this year: Wilson, Rivers, Glennon, Brisette.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How often does a Roethlisberger come along compared to a P5 QB?

Oh boy.

Fellas, try to keep up. I'm NOT saying the 5 star athlete or even the highly ranked 4 start athlete. I've made that clear multiple times. Those guys are going to play no matter what, and their chances of making the big leagues are much more in their favor. The numbers show that.

I'm talking about the lower ranked 4 star athlete and the 3 star athlete. THAT'S the kid that would be better served to choose UConn over the bench at a brand name P5 school...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree. But that winds up becoming a foolish choice. I think a mid level prospects that’s being recruited by a Power 5 is likely driven by ego. More power to them as they own their lives and have to make the choice they feel is best for them. FBS football is FBS football.
Jordan Morrison for instance. He got offered by Virginia. ACC school. Big time games. However, I think he’ll likely have a better chance starting as a freshman here than over at Virginia. And to me, those early game reps for a solid player are so invaluable when you’re considering an NFL career down the road.

If Alabama is recruiting you then you aren’t a mid level prospect.

Should the 20th kid in Missouri’s class pick Tulsa? Maybe - but that has nothing to do with the kids picking between Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well why did you choose to use Lynch instead of Wentz (North Dakota State) from the 2016 draft? I know, I know... AAC, right? ;)

Look, I've already said that Alabama is going to have much more sway and rightfully so. I'm using Alabama as the P5 example, perhaps uneffectively. How about I change the name to Michigan State?

I'm guessing you can understand the point if the choice for a 3 star athlete is to ride the pine at MSU or start all 4 years at UConn, that the latter offers him a better chance at the NFL if he truly is NFL material. That's the point here...

North Dakota State is neither in the G5 or AAC...

Reaction Score
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have an example of even 1 player who made the NFL while riding the pine? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.
Matt Cassell comes to mind.

Reaction Score
If I'm a recruit, and Nick Saban thinks I'm good enough to earn a scholarship at Bama, then I see no reason to believe that I can't/won't ever see the field.

I'd give it a shot, maybe win a national championship in my career. If I've spent a 2-3 years there, and don't play, maybe then I consider transferring, or doing a grad transfer year somewhere I have a better chance.

But it's hard to convince a kid he's not good enough to see the field at Bama, OSU, Clemson etc., when the best coaches in the country are telling him he is.

Reaction Score
If Alabama is recruiting you then you aren’t a mid level prospect.

Should the 20th kid in Missouri’s class pick Tulsa? Maybe - but that has nothing to do with the kids picking between Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State.
I would have to respectfully disagree. Alabama and lots of those schools recruit guys for competitive depth in practice as well. Everyone that signs with Alabama is not a 5 Star recruit. Which means everyone who’s offered wasn’t a 4 or 5 Star. There are lots of 3 star guys on those rosters man. Mid level prospects

Reaction Score
I'm talking about the lower ranked 4 star athlete and the 3 star athlete. THAT'S the kid that would be better served to choose UConn over the bench at a brand name P5 school...

You’re not thinking like or w/ the ego of a 17/18 y/o... ;) P5 cachet is a strong pull.

Reaction Score
If I'm a recruit, and Nick Saban thinks I'm good enough to earn a scholarship at Bama, then I see no reason to believe that I can't/won't ever see the field.

I'd give it a shot, maybe win a national championship in my career. If I've spent a 2-3 years there, and don't play, maybe then I consider transferring, or doing a grad transfer year somewhere I have a better chance.

But it's hard to convince a kid he's not good enough to see the field at Bama, OSU, Clemson etc., when the best coaches in the country are telling him he is.
I get what you are saying. And I agree that’s what the recruit is likely to believe. We are just poiting out that it’s a foolish choice because they sit the bench, get beat up in practice and are not being evaluated as a game rep player at the next level.
Again, I’m not disagreeing with you all in terms of the choice a kid is likely going to make.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would have to respectfully disagree. Alabama and lots of those schools recruit guys for competitive depth in practice as well. Everyone that signs with Alabama is not a 5 Star recruit. Which means everyone who’s offered wasn’t a 4 or 5 Star. There are lots of 3 star guys on those rosters man. Mid level prospects

Okey dokey.

The way to the NFL is to go to a G5 program with lesser coaching and competition.

That’s your argument....

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You’re not thinking like or w/ the ego of a 17/18 y/o... ;)

Perhaps not. But I'm definitely thinking like a UConn recruiter. ;)

I'm a little too lazy to do the analysis, but I'd love to see percentages of 3 star athletes who make the NFL via the P5 and 3 star athletes who make it outside of the P5. Anecdotally, I think the latter must be larger but having the numbers would be nice. If true, that's something I would have in my back pocket on recruiting trips for the Huskies... #REStorred

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
So the idea is that if you want to be drafted into the NFL you're better off at G5 than the likes of Alabama? P5 schools sometimes get their backup quarterbacks drafted...Bama and OSU have had years where they've had like 10 guys drafted

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So the idea is that if you want to be drafted into the NFL you're better off at G5 than the likes of Alabama? P5 schools sometimes get their backup quarterbacks drafted...Bama and OSU have had years where they've had like 10 guys drafted

Oh good Christ.

Go back and read the responses so that I don't have to type thing five times...

Reaction Score
Okey dokey.

The way to the NFL is to go to a G5 program with lesser coaching and competition.

That’s your argument....
Nope. Not my argument.
Just ask yourself this question. How many times have you seen a kid get drafted in the top 3 or 4 rounds and not see any game film on him after he got drafted?
My argument is this. If you’re not in the ESPN top 300 and you’ve been offered by a couple of P5’s and the majority G5’s you need to sit and think about it. If the roster of the P5 schools that offered you are full of 4 and 5 Star guys there’s a likelihood that you’ll be riding the pine. And if your goal is to make the NFL you need to consider where you’ll best get a chance to see the field. Because at the end of the day, if I’m advising, I’ll tell the prospect screw being able to say you “play” for Alabama. If you go to any of the G5 schools ala UConn, you’ll get a chance to showcase your abilities against a few P5’s and a decent G5 schedule. And as for strengthening and conditioning, I follow Tennessee and they’ve had a Horrible showing of a strength program for years. Just because you go to a P5 doesn’t mean your preparation will be better. Lashlee is a former P5 Guy. Aren’t the UConn players going to be guided under his tutilege? Edsall has tons of knowledge and coached in the NFL. You mean to tell me our guys aren’t going to get coached well?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh good Christ.

Go back and read the responses so that I don't have to type thing five times...
I feel your pain.
But the BY is alive so I’m ok with the dead horse getting beat

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The problem in this thread is that folks like Lynch and Bortles are being brought up to refute my point.

Wrong. They confirm it. They made it to the league. They aren't as good as many of the other QBs from the SEC. But they got their contracts.

That's the point. If a 3 star athlete (outside the top 250) really wants to make it to the NFL, they should seek to maximize their field time and exposure. That's all I'm saying here, folks. Nothing more than that...

Reaction Score
Sorry guys. But just like recruiting for college. I don’t care if you go to Bishop Gorman. And most of those guys get recruited to go there. If you’re riding the pine it would be tougher to get an offer from a major D1 program if there isn’t much film to evaluate. Just sayin

Reaction Score
The problem in this thread is that folks like Lynch and Bortles are being brought up to refute my point.

Wrong. They confirm it. They made it to the league. They aren't as good as many of the other QBs from the SEC. But they got their contracts.

That's the point. If a 3 star athlete (outside the top 250) really wants to make it to the NFL, they should seek to maximize their field time and exposure. That's all I'm saying here, folks. Nothing more than that...
Me too! Me too!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nope. Not my argument.
Just ask yourself this question. How many times have you seen a kid get drafted in the top 3 or 4 rounds and not see any game film on him after he got drafted?
My argument is this. If you’re not in the ESPN top 300 and you’ve been offered by a couple of P5’s and the majority G5’s you need to sit and think about it. If the roster of the P5 schools that offered you are full of 4 and 5 Star guys there’s a likelihood that you’ll be riding the pine. And if your goal is to make the NFL you need to consider where you’ll best get a chance to see the field. Because at the end of the day, if I’m advising, I’ll tell the prospect screw being able to say you “play” for Alabama. If you go to any of the G5 schools ala UConn, you’ll get a chance to showcase your abilities against a few P5’s and a decent G5 schedule. And as for strengthening and conditioning, I follow Tennessee and they’ve had a -ing show of a strength program for years. Just because you go to a P5 doesn’t mean your preparation will be better. Lashlee is a former P5 Guy. Aren’t the UConn players going to be guided under his tutilege? Edsall has tons of knowledge and coached in the NFL. You mean to tell me our guys aren’t going to get coached well?

If you don’t get on the field you weren’t good enough to play in the NFL.

Your assumption is insane: That players good enough to play in the NFL don’t get on the field because they chose a higher level of college competition.

There is a reason why almost no one does what you are proposing. Sorry Michigan State - I’m worried I can’t compete - I’m going to go to a directional Michigan - says no one ever.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If you don’t get on the field you weren’t good enough to play in the NFL.

Your assumption is insane: That players good enough to play in the NFL don’t get on the field because they chose a higher level of college competition.

There is a reason why almost no one does what you are proposing. Sorry Michigan State - I’m worried I can’t compete - I’m going to go to a directional Michigan - says no one ever.

Everyone thinks they can compete, like Medic said. But they also know when there might be a chance that they are buried behind folks on a 2-deep (it happens in hoops too, like when a point guard sees that his team recruited another point guard and then decommits). It happens all the time in multiple sports...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom