Now is the time for Blumenthal to declare war | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Now is the time for Blumenthal to declare war

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're an absolute dope. He can't help. He couldn't help then (actually helped to wound our reputation) and he can't help now. Are you really this stupid, really? Who the **** said anything about him being a democrat? Where the **** did you get that from my post?

Your Vietnam crack gave you away.

Not interested in arguing politics on this board. Lets keep it to UConn. Any thinking person would bring in every gun they have. You can't keep politics out of it though.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase Otter in Animal House, and to some degree, "NelsonMuntz is right. Psychotic, but absolutely right."

This isn't about bringing a lawsuit, but I can tell you how I would play it. I would be exploring three things. (And I do say exploring because, based on Aresco's omission of UConn the other day, I am not sure that the STate and University still don't know things that we don't):

1. There is one -- one -- women's athletic program, pro or college, in the entire United States of America that young girls all over the country look at and aspire to. And it is being shut out of the big time for reasons having nothing to do with women's sports and everything to do with football. I would be asking every female U.S. Senator and Congressman, and I would be asking the justice department and white house, how that can possibly be o.k. under Title IX. How Title IX can be limited to funding, but can have no rule over broader actions that universities are taking that are telling female athletes that you don't matter -- you are only around for the ride because you have to be.

2. I would now be looking at if not suing ESPN at least stopping their state subsidies. I doubt they did anything wrong this go round (having been more careful), but we sue them for breach of implied covenants of good faith and fair dealing both in their contract with the Big East and their corporate welfare contract with the State based on last year's round. Just DeFillipo's prior statements get us to a jury on that one.

3. It is time to call antitrust counsel. Antitrust laws are very complex and I am not an expert, but someone here illustrated that since '04 exactly one school that was playing BCS level football has now been pushed out. That would seem from a distance to be such an easy case.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
So nelson taunts Herbst because she tried to #begharder a year ago but implores Blumenthal to #sueharder now.

Why am I not surprised.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Tax-exempt status of athletic departments is the gamechanger, and one that the Senate actually can influence. That is the biggest hammer Blumenthal can wield, and he can do it from the standpoint of fiscal responsibility. The second is anti-trust. Most sports leagues are anti-competitive, which is why they usually lose anti-trust cases. The BCS generally just throws more money at the have-nots, which is what they would likely do in this case.

Reaction Score
There is a bigger hammer that nobody is mentioning. The doomsday scenario for college/pro sports is ala carte pricing of cable channels and this can be regulated by politicans/regulators. Right now the cable TV networks force their product down the throats of the cable TV providers who provide bundled cable packages. Consumers are forced to buy channels that they do not want. This is what scares the cable sports networks more than anything else.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah. Probably not.

The last thing we need now is more enemies. That play should have been made years ago or even last summer.

Reports coming out that McConnell played a big role in getting Louisville into the ACC.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
When there was true war (see Vietnam) Blumenthal was nowhere to be found. He tried to napalm the ACC when BC left and we're still dealing with the cancerous fallout. Blumenthal needs to stay the **** out of this

If you look up the word "irrelevant" in the dictionary, there is a screen shot of your comment.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Reports coming out that McConnell played a big role in getting Louisville into the ACC.
It's been widely known that he's been lobbying for them since 'Cuse and Pitt bolted.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Otter in Animal House, and to some degree, "NelsonMuntz is right. Psychotic, but absolutely right."

This isn't about bringing a lawsuit, but I can tell you how I would play it. I would be exploring three things. (And I do say exploring because, based on Aresco's omission of UConn the other day, I am not sure that the STate and University still don't know things that we don't):

1. There is one -- one -- women's athletic program, pro or college, in the entire United States of America that young girls all over the country look at and aspire to. And it is being shut out of the big time for reasons having nothing to do with women's sports and everything to do with football. I would be asking every female U.S. Senator and Congressman, and I would be asking the justice department and white house, how that can possibly be o.k. under Title IX. How Title IX can be limited to funding, but can have no rule over broader actions that universities are taking that are telling female athletes that you don't matter -- you are only around for the ride because you have to be.

2. I would now be looking at if not suing ESPN at least stopping their state subsidies. I doubt they did anything wrong this go round (having been more careful), but we sue them for breach of implied covenants of good faith and fair dealing both in their contract with the Big East and their corporate welfare contract with the State based on last year's round. Just DeFillipo's prior statements get us to a jury on that one.

3. It is time to call antitrust counsel. Antitrust laws are very complex and I am not an expert, but someone here illustrated that since '04 exactly one school that was playing BCS level football has now been pushed out. That would seem from a distance to be such an easy case.

Number 2 is such a land mine though. Obviously ESPN can't leave Bristol without a huge investment - but they can leak jobs to Los Angeles pretty easily. In this climate you can't put it past a state just spending huge dollars to pay them to move the Bristol operations elsewhere.

1 and 3 bang away.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hope in an anti-trust settlement that UConn does better than the USFL. Unless a legal victory is the goal - I don't think $3 makes much difference.

Reaction Score
The Tax-exempt status of athletic departments is the gamechanger, and one that the Senate actually can influence. That is the biggest hammer Blumenthal can wield, and he can do it from the standpoint of fiscal responsibility.

Agree 100%. Not sure how many allies Blumenthal would be likely to get here though (outside of New England) given that we are basically the only major state university on the outside looking in at this point.

The second is anti-trust. Most sports leagues are anti-competitive, which is why they usually lose anti-trust cases. The BCS generally just throws more money at the have-nots, which is what they would likely do in this case.

Leagues themselves aren't anticompetitive. College football is "an industry in which horizontal restraints on competition are essential if the product is to be available at all." That's not me saying that, it's the Supreme Court (NCAA vs. Board of Regents, 468 U.S. 85).

Professional leagues generally lose cases when the owners get together and agree to limit competition for player salaries. College athletes are amateurs, so throw all those cases out -- they don't apply here. The NCAA lost its landmark antitrust case against Oklahoma for trying to limit the total number of college football games that individual schools could televise. The problem was that the rule restricted the supply of televised games to consumers. Again, that's not what's going on here. There's nothing in the antitrust laws that gives us a right to be in a power conference for football (unfortunately).

Reaction Score
Please PLEASE, for your own good... keep the giant Dick out of things. You'll get a spot. But if you have Dick trying to collapse the free market, again, you'll lose and just make enough enemies to be locked out for good.

Reaction Score
How about instead of worrying about suing people, blah, blah, blah, we look at the important stuff. How about having some vision and getting out in front to talk up the athletic program? How about not hiring a zombie like Pasqualoni to head the football program? How about not having a basketball coach that is on a one year deal. We can talk about all the good things that have happened with this athletic department, but I defy anyone to tell me that it appears to be headed in the right direction. Now, it may very well be headed in the right direction, but the perception is that it isn't, and that has to hurt when it comes to being considered for any expansion into another league.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Simple solution: let Murphy be the point man on all of this. He can start his term off with a bang...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How about instead of worrying about suing people, blah, blah, blah, we look at the important stuff. How about having some vision and getting out in front to talk up the athletic program? How about not hiring a zombie like Pasqualoni to head the football program? How about not having a basketball coach that is on a one year deal. We can talk about all the good things that have happened with this athletic department, but I defy anyone to tell me that it appears to be headed in the right direction. Now, it may very well be headed in the right direction, but the perception is that it isn't, and that has to hurt when it comes to being considered for any expansion into another league.

Really? No one had thought of any of that, except in the other 200 threads on this board on exactly the same topic. But thanks for setting me straight.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Please PLEASE, for your own good... keep the giant Dick out of things. You'll get a spot. But if you have Dick trying to collapse the free market, again, you'll lose and just make enough enemies to be locked out for good.

I have had enough of BS posts like this. You are saying that you would rather have a Republican Senator help Louisville than a Democratic Senator help UConn. The Right is so insanely partisan that even when it comes to something that is personally important to someone, like say their college athletic team, you would rather see a Republican hurt you than a Democrat help you. You are nuts.

Reaction Score
I have had enough of BS posts like this. You are saying that you would rather have a Republican Senator help Louisville than a Democratic Senator help UConn. The Right is so insanely partisan that even when it comes to something that is personally important to someone, like say their college athletic team, you would rather see a Republican hurt you than a Democrat help you. You are nuts.
No <facepalm>... I would rather you not make yourselves look like hypocritical whiners that nobody will ever want to be associated with in the future by embarking on a suicidal campaign of destroying your own image. UConn will have a seat at the table... so long as you don't have Gov a$$hats from either party run around with gas cans burning the few bridges you have left from the last time Dick stuck his nose into things.

Reaction Score
Nothing good would come of this, it's way after the fact and would only hurt future invites. Threatening ESPN would only chase them out of the state along with their jobs.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't understand where this Republican vs. Democrat stuff comes from; the only person bringing it up is you. I think the point is that Blumenthal (rightly or wrongly) is wearing the black hat for the last lawsuit that pissed a lot of people off. Having him do it again will accomplish nothing. It is non-partisan.

Reaction Score
Sorry Nelson, I usually agree with your points but not this time. The smart move right now is to silently bury the hatchet with BC and start scheduling them. The ACC is due to be raided by the SEC, B1G and maybe the Big 12 somewhere down the line. When that happens, UConn needs allies not more enemies.

Reaction Score
UConn was playing nice because that is what the ACC wanted. Didn't do us a bit of good.

I expect that every poster that doesn't like this idea will feel that way primarily because Blumenthal has a "D" next to his name. More party first, even on something like this. For what its worth, Orrin Hatch was a monster pain in the ass to the BCS prior to Utah's admission to the Pac 12, and it definitely got everyone's attention.

The "D" next to his name is for , many here (myself included) feel we would be in the ACC now if he didn't file the stupid F@#$%^g lawsuit last time. We would have been added last year with Syracuse.

Reaction Score
UConn was playing nice because that is what the ACC wanted. Didn't do us a bit of good.

I expect that every poster that doesn't like this idea will feel that way primarily because Blumenthal has a "D" next to his name. More party first, even on something like this. For what its worth, Orrin Hatch was a monster pain in the ass to the BCS prior to Utah's admission to the Pac 12, and it definitely got everyone's attention.

Couldn't agree more. Orrin Hatch is the model that needs to be followed. And besides if the old relic from Pennsylvania could tie up Congress with steriod issues (who cares if Raphael Palmeiro was juicing?), this is way more important. This touches on Antitrust issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom