Now is the time for Blumenthal to declare war | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Now is the time for Blumenthal to declare war

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ct lost 1/3 of its Financial Services jobs since 1990. Insurance, trading and hedge. The next 20 years should continue the bleeding. ESPN is an interesting case. Will Disney sell? I think they will. They've sold off virtually all of the ESPN properties outside of the Americas. Given the risk of technical change and Media Rights risk as teams like the Dodgers deal with Time Warner directly?

ESPN has a large campus. Is that the right model in 5 years? Remember when Sony purchased Columbia? Wait til the mouse sells China ESPN.

How much of that financial sector died after 2008? We know NYC has been hurt just as bad--not because the sector left, but because it doesn't even exist in the same size that it used to.

Reaction Score
Someone is going to offer ESPN billions of dollars?

And ESPN is going to take it so it can be even further away from NY?

Is this what you're saying?

Yes, because I believe Atlanta will be the new Media area. I believe in 10 to 25 years NY city is not going to be the mecca for media.

Reaction Score
I remember when ESPN was a f#cking trailer parked in a lot with a satellite dish on top, that we drove by on the way to the amusement park at Lake Compounce.

I don't know where it was, but I think it was FIshy's idea. THe state is always looking to pad the DOT budget, so that all those workers can stand around while one guy shovels gravel. I think West/Middle Street in Bristol is due for a 37 year plan of constant paving, and cones, and I think that the DOT should leave a very nice smooth, and no congestion pattern, for the workers at the Otis elevator facility, but leave everybody trying to get through to ESPN property (the term 'campus' used for ESPN property makes me want unlock the weapons storage and start target practice).......but leave everybody trying to get hrough there - inhaling tar and exhaust fumes.

I don't know why I write this now, except it's late at night, and it's warm in CT, and I can't wait for football season, and the intercollegiate sports world has been totally screwed by Disney's management, and ownership of ESPN.

Take lessons from the, always under construction, Cross Bronx Expressway.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
How much of that financial sector died after 2008? We know NYC has been hurt just as bad--not because the sector left, but because it doesn't even exist in the same size that it used to.

The best chunk died during the DotCom boom when PC trading and internet sales became viable everywhere and the insurance company agency model shifted, and the hedge fund managers could afford living in Mahattan again.

That's really my point: there are technology and business challenges coming for an ESPN that might just make Bristol's entire Campus look like an obsolete model -- more expensive to maintain than to rebuild a leaner delivery model. It's one of the reasons I think the Mouse will sell. Dress up the property with big contracts, sell, and slowly get out of dodge. The talking heads model is changing. Advertising. Web Properties. Like any other business they have many back office functions amenable to outsourcing.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Yes, because I believe Atlanta will be the new Media area. I believe in 10 to 25 years NY city is not going to be the mecca for media.

You suffer the same conceit. Large companies will manage risk by splitting up into regionals to play one Governor off another for Tax Breaks. There's successful models for this today. It's easier to outsource specific operations under that model as well. They need some presence in the major cities to cut down on Talking Head travel and Guest Travel. Backoffice functions can be performed anywhere.

You can't build cars in the South because only Detroit has the highly skilled UAW workers. Ooops. Hedge Funds can't move to Boca or Singapore or Abu Dubai. Ooops. It's all mobile with few constraints on raw materials whether the raw materials be celebrity guests or coal deposits.

Reaction Score
First of all I am not a Republican, I am an independant and have no prejudice against either party. Blumenthal will sue anybody if it will get his name in the headlines and he has. Remember the lawsuit he filed when the first schools departed the BE? It really angered some people in the ACC and is probably the reason Louisville is in the ACC. Blumenthal is a whiney weakling who loves projecting the image of a tough guy.If Uconn needs an advocate chose somebody else.

Folks, I'm afraid Blumenthal is Little Lord Fauntleroy lost in a congress of Charlie Wilson's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom