Novak Djokovic | The Boneyard

Novak Djokovic

Reaction Score
23 and counting. It's pretty incredible Serbia has produced the greatest tennis player ever and the current best basketball player in the world.
It really is. I am a Nadal fan, but Djokovic will go down as the best tennis player ever, IMO. Even in his CNN interview after Nadal won his 22nd grand slam in last year's French Open, he stated he thinks his 14 titles at a grand slam won't be broken but he can see his then record of 22 grand slams of being surpassed. Surely he had Novak in mind when he said that.

Reaction Score
It really is. I am a Nadal fan, but Djokovic will go down as the best tennis player ever, IMO. Even in his CNN interview after Nadal won his 22nd grand slam in last year's French Open, he stated he thinks his 14 titles at a grand slam won't be broken but he can see his then record of 22 grand slams of being surpassed. Surely he had Novak in mind when he said that.
I still have Federer but in reality djokovic is. He had the benefit of talent time in history as the other 2 greatest were playing at different times in their careers. Federer was declining. Nadal was rising. ND was emerging. Like Ali when the heavyweights mattered. The 3 best players of all time played each other and beat each other at the same time.

Reaction Score
Didn't Australian Rod Laver miss a few years because he was a professional and couldn't play in various tournaments? Novak is the best of this generation for sure. And where is Monica Seles from? She may have been the best woman's player ever- she was on track and dominating until her stabbing incident. Is she Serbian too?
23 and counting. It's pretty incredible Serbia has produced the greatest tennis player ever and the current best basketball player in the world.

Reaction Score
It’s a great accomplishment and it looks like he’s got a few more in him. I’ve followed him closely since I’m also of Serbian descent and while he’s had his share of regrettable moments he’s also often very kind, funny, and open in a way few athletes are.

Reaction Score
He’s 36 and I don’t see any signs of aging. Some great tennis players used to retire or be washed up by their their late 20’s.
No coincidence that Tom Brady was his guest in the private box. Diet and overall lifestyle can extend an athlete’s dominant lifespan.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm more of a Nadal fan but you have to give it to Djokovic. The only argument that could favor Nadal was that there was never a point in his career where one of the two (Federer, Djokovic) wasn't at an equal or more advantageous point in his.

Reaction Score
He is an absolute killer mentally. And he is also incredibly conditioned, he looked so fresh today. Ruud tried a couple of drop shots in the third set today, Novak got to them with so much time. Can he get to 30, seriously I think it’s possible if he plays 3-4 more years.

Reaction Score
The GOAT is debatable and hard to determine on just one metric like number of Slams. If all the players were healthy and in their primes, I would take Nadal over either Fed or Joker in a Final, but that's just me. Nadal still has the best winning % in Slam Finals history. Nadal has the better head-to-head with Federer and basically even with Joker, when both players were in their primes. Too bad Nadal has been hit hard with injuries. Congrats to Joker - his fitness is unreal & Brady-like. Good debate to have.

Reaction Score
He would probably have won one or two more had he not been banned from traveling to the USA because he is unvaxed.
Yep and being kept out of the Australian which he wins every year. Then there was the US Open where he accidentally hit the ball girl with the ball. He was destroying everyone that tournament before he lost his cool and screwed up.

The big three is the most incredible thing I've ever seen in sports and it will never be done again. They are all amazing and the three best ever but when you look at Djokovic's resume it's clear he's the best and there are more majors to come. His game is incredible but it's his remarkable mental strength which takes him to an even higher level.

Reaction Score
It’s a great accomplishment and it looks like he’s got a few more in him. I’ve followed him closely since I’m also of Serbian descent and while he’s had his share of regrettable moments he’s also often very kind, funny, and open in a way few athletes are.
I know he's controversial but I think he's the most eloquent athlete I've seen. He always says the nicest things about his opponents and really personalizes his messages to them, I find him to be a really thoughtful and interesting guy.

Reaction Score
I know he's controversial but I think he's the most eloquent athlete I've seen. He always says the nicest things about his opponents and really personalizes his messages to them, I find him to be a really thoughtful and interesting guy.
Those compliments though are always tinged with a bit of the poisoned tongue. I always laugh that his opponents don't take offense at his "compliments." I think they're scared to.

Earlier you made the point that between him and Jokic, they have 2 of the greatest athletes from such a small country.

A couple years ago were were talking about how 3 guys born in the Balkans were in the top 5 of world basketball (Giannis, Jokic and Doncic). Population of the Balkans (if you include Romania) is 50 million.

Reaction Score
He’s 36 and I don’t see any signs of aging. Some great tennis players used to retire or be washed up by their their late 20’s.
Pete Sampras won the US Open as an underdog Cinderella story in 2002 while looking washed up at 31. The longevity these guys have today is incredible.

Reaction Score
Pete Sampras won the US Open as an underdog Cinderella story in 2002 while looking washed up at 31. The longevity these guys have today is incredible.
People might be shocked to learn how many top athletes used to smoke cigarettes. My first job out of college was at ProServ the sports agency that repped Michael Jordan. David Falk worked there. But they were mainly a pro tennis firm. I didn't think anything of it at the time but a lot of these players smoked cigarettes.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how this new era of players shakes out - some of the things these young kids pull off are breathtaking. Alcaraz is barely 20 years old and shows no signs of slowing

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Still think Federer at his peak was most well-rounded.
Put Joker #2
Nadal as a one trick clay court pony compared to Federer and Joker goes #3.
Federer was always a whiny b!tc# (although he did improve on this when he approached retirement) and he won quite a few when the best players in the world were Safin & Hewitt.

Nadal, a couple years before his peak was able to beat Federer at his peak on Federer's best surface (Wimbledon). Nadal was a lot more than a one trick pony.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Still think Federer at his peak was most well-rounded.
Put Joker #2
Nadal as a one trick clay court pony compared to Federer and Joker goes #3.

Nadal did win 8 non-French majors but I agree that he's a distant third.

Hard to keep Federer above Joker at this point IMO. As far as who's most well-rounded, it's worth noting that Joker's won the French 3 times while Federer only won it once -- although to be far, Federer was annually up against the greatest clay player of all time, in his prime.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nadal did win 8 non-French majors but I agree that he's a distant third.

Hard to keep Federer above Joker at this point IMO. As far as who's most well-rounded, it's worth noting that Joker's won the French 3 times while Federer only won it once -- although to be far, Federer was annually up against the greatest clay player of all time, in his prime.

I was looking at the big 3 that way too since Joker owns the Australian Open.

Take away their best performance major and what's left. Nadal,once you strip away the French, is far enough behind the other two. But, I won't discount being the greatest on a specific surface and being the greatest by a far margin.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom