Notre Dame Pregame Notes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame Pregame Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
If and when UConn finally does loose it will be interesting to see how this team reacts..my guess is that they will go right back to their winning ways
Going back to their winning ways after a loss has been a constant since March 17, 1993.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Also, the bloated green media machine is making hay out of this:

The ND men have thus far played an even softer schedule than the women. How soft? Well, they're 8-0 and yet ranked only 23rd, having just entered the rankings this week. (Looking forward to seeing them get thrashed by Villanova on Saturday.)

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't fit in with anybody. You do it the team way, or you don't do it at all. Great! Sadie Edwards is putting up big numbers. How much better a player would she be if she had stayed at UConn. Obviously she wasn't playing to the level that warranted major minutes. De'Janae homesick, injured, and not doing well academically was a recipe for a transfer. Good luck to both. However, they won't be winning any national championships.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I have never forgiven Notre Dame for stealing my high school's fight song;
"Cheer, cheer for old EHS, we've got the team we know is the best". A dastardly deed, indeed.
Say, mine, too.

Reaction Score
upload_2016-12-6_19-45-35.png

SOUTH BEND, Ind. Napheesa Collier couldn't wait to be a part of the University of Connecticut women's basketball team's rivalry with Notre Dame.

So on a cold December morning two years ago, less than a month after signing her letter of intent with the Huskies, Collier and her mother, Sarah, made a five-hour drive here from their home in St. Peters, Missouri. They bought their own tickets and ended up in the next-to-last row atop Purcell Pavilion across from the UConn bench.

"It was crazy being there and watching my future teammates play," Collier recalled.

The sophomore forward will have a better seat for the latest edition of the rivalry. And instead of being among 9,000 people in the stands, 9,000 will be watching her.

UConn puts its new No. 1 ranking and its 82-game winning streak on the line Wednesday night when it faces No. 2 Notre Dame at Purcell Pavilion.

The rest of the story [HERE]

Reaction Score

A smile appeared on the face of UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma when he entertained the prospects of playing on the road against the nation’s top-ranked team following a hard-earned win over nationally-ranked Texas.

“It is going to be fun these next couple of days preparing,” Auriemma said. “That is still one of my favorite things to do, prepare for a really good team, especially on the road. Those two days leading up to the game are a lot of fun, sometimes it can be more fun than the actual game. I am looking forward to seeing how we, as a team, look in these next two days.”

Full article [HERE]

I'm quite sure Geno is not alone on his eagerness for the game Wednesday night. I'm right there with him.

Reaction Score
upload_2016-12-7_7-46-41.png

They first met on Jan. 18, 1996. UConn beat Notre Dame 87-64 in South Bend, the first of 11 consecutive wins by the Huskies.

Two decades later, the teams will meet for the 46th time Wednesday night. The former Big East foes have played for national titles and have become heated rivals.

UConn holds a 34-11 lead in the series and has won the past five meetings. Really, the Huskies have dominated the rivalry aside from a stretch from 2011 to 2013 when Notre Dame won seven of eight.

There have been six meetings in the Final Four. Each team has won three times.

Let's take trips through Storrs, South Bend and beyond as we revisit eight memorable games:

(CONTINUE)

Reaction Score
Welcome words from Gabby:

"I think this team is ready," UConn forward Gabby Williams said. "This team is starting to show an identity. We're starting to play more aggressively. We're starting to have that UConn basketball that we've had the last few years. Yeah, we're ready."

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't fit in with anybody. You do it the team way, or you don't do it at all. Great! Sadie Edwards is putting up big numbers. How much better a player would she be if she had stayed at UConn. Obviously she wasn't playing to the level that warranted major minutes. De'Janae homesick, injured, and not doing well academically was a recipe for a transfer. Good luck to both. However, they won't be winning any national championships.

I just looked up USC and Sadie Edwards, and I think Cynthia Cooper is engaging in the sincerest form of flattery. Not only is Sadie contributing, but they have Minyon Moore and Asiah Jones!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's Perspective or how you can use Stats suit you message. :)

Top Two Teams to Tangle Wednesday

There's one Stat that I found completely useless.

UConn could claim a similar stat, but not as good as ND's. :)

As I read the homer piece by the incomparable ND PR machine, I am once again reminded of what Mark Twain once said:

"First get your facts straight. Then you can distort them as much as you wish."
;)

Reaction Score
Notre Dame's Perspective or how you can use Stats suit you message. :)

Top Two Teams to Tangle Wednesday

There's one Stat that I found completely useless.

UConn could claim a similar stat, but not as good as ND's. :)
After reading this, Geno's response:
whatmeworry.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Welcome words from Gabby:

"I think this team is ready," UConn forward Gabby Williams said. "This team is starting to show an identity. We're starting to play more aggressively. We're starting to have that UConn basketball that we've had the last few years. Yeah, we're ready."

The W or the L is not as important now as how the W or L occurs and its potential impact on the psyche of a still building team.

Reaction Score
The W or the L is not as important now as how the W or L occurs and its potential impact on the psyche of a still building team.
And I think Geno is already going down that road by saying that the preparation and play will be fun. He's trying to minimize the significance of the outcome and leverage the experience for the team's overall growth. Not just for this year, because he's thinking long term, years into the future.

Reaction Score
And I think Geno is already going down that road by saying that the preparation and play will be fun. He's trying to minimize the significance of the outcome and leverage the experience for the team's overall growth. Not just for this year, because he's thinking long term, years into the future.

Don't think Geno is concerned about future years. He knows he will loaded for several years, starting next year. This was thought to be a transition yr and the team is ahead of schedule thus far. The so called transition still has final 4 potential and NC potential, as there is no absolute dominant team without deficiencies. Next year there will be and at it will be UConn, as the size will be addressed in spades.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Memba this team from 2014?

Three of them will be on the court in South Bend Wednesday night. The fourth coulda.

(click the pic to re-visit the 2014 story)

And all 4 COULD have been wearing UCONN uniforms.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The ND men have thus far played an even softer schedule than the women. How soft? Well, they're 8-0 and yet ranked only 23rd, having just entered the rankings this week. (Looking forward to seeing them get thrashed by Villanova on Saturday.)
I don't mind this at all. WCBB needs the publicity. I'm a UCONN fan, if I weren't I could understand how that "Champions are made" video with members of this years team Holding 4 National Championship trophies might rub some people the wrong way.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No, he can be wrong. Would have been a lot more than 11 NC if he is right all the time.

It also would have been a lot more than 11 without all the injuries involving key players.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Wow, talk about bragging on a largely meaningless and undeserved stat. Play somebody before you brag about this one.

It won't matter after tonight's game anyway, because Geno and our ladies are going to put loss No. 1 on their stat sheet. In the immortal words of the late, great Al McGuire, Geno has put an elephant in Muffet's head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom