Notre Dame Pregame Notes | The Boneyard

Notre Dame Pregame Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2016-12-6_7-35-37.png

A smile appeared on the face of UConn women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma when he entertained the prospects of playing on the road against the nation’s top-ranked team following a hard-earned win over nationally-ranked Texas.

“It is going to be fun these next couple of days preparing,” Auriemma said. “That is still one of my favorite things to do, prepare for a really good team, especially on the road. Those two days leading up to the game are a lot of fun, sometimes it can be more fun than the actual game. I am looking forward to seeing how we, as a team, look in these next two days.”

Full article [HERE]

Reaction Score
Yes, the master of psychology at work here. First he doesn't know what this team is about, but, while being sure to praise them as individuals, calls the team out and says it needs an ass-kicking to take itself seriously. Then, as the team surprises everyone and seems to present a real chance of being good and on the eve of the biggest game, he flips and says: "no pressure: let's just have fun out there." If they lose, he'll say it was good for them; if they win, he'll say it was just a game, but the team still stinks; or more likely, he'll come up with something new, something to surprise everyone and motivate the guys further. The great thing is that they all know exactly what Geno is doing, and yet they buy into it anyway. I guess 11 NCs can't be wrong.

Reaction Score
Yes, the master of psychology at work here. First he doesn't know what this team is about, but, while being sure to praise them as individuals, calls the team out and says it needs an ass-kicking to take itself seriously. Then, as the team surprises everyone and seems to present a real chance of being good and on the eve of the biggest game, he flips and says: "no pressure: let's just have fun out there." If they lose, he'll say it was good for them; if they win, he'll say it was just a game, but the team still stinks; or more likely, he'll come up with something new, something to surprise everyone and motivate the guys further. The great thing is that they all know exactly what Geno is doing, and yet they buy into it anyway. I guess 11 NCs can't be wrong.

No, he can be wrong. Would have been a lot more than 11 NC if he is right all the time.

Reaction Score
Sonny , I think he is just preparing them mentally and psychologically for a loss when and if one comes along. So that they hopefully don't fall apart..Now if they don't falter , all the better.

If and when UConn finally does loose it will be interesting to see how this team reacts............my guess is that they will go right back to their winning ways

HGN

Reaction Score
If and when UConn finally does loose it will be interesting to see how this team reacts..my guess is that they will go right back to their winning ways
Probably.:)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I have never forgiven Notre Dame for stealing my high school's fight song;
"Cheer, cheer for old EHS, we've got the team we know is the best". A dastardly deed, indeed.

Reaction Score
Does this sound like a coach who thinks we need a loss, preferably a bad one?

Geno is working the psychology on his team and ND. Fact is the team is surely ahead of where Geno expected thus far considering the Big 3 gone. Second, Geno knows a loss, if it occurs, is no big deal as he has a very young team, limited bench, etc... It would provide him more fodder to psuh them on their deficiencies. Third, the game is more important to ND. ND is expected to win, with all the players they have back, UConn not as stacked as the last 4 years, and ND being at home. This would be psychology trauma for ND to lose. It would embed to all the players who have been around in the 5 losses in a row, that UConn just has their number. Essentially they would be battling psychologically what do we have to do win...they are supposed to be down this year. They aren't suppose to be stacked till next year.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This team is making a believer out of Geno. Right after winning his 4th straight last yr, Geno said something to the effect that, "There's no way we're going to win it next year." At the time I don't believe he was practicing reverse psychology, he was just being honest.

About the time he called for "this team to get their ass beat" I believe he began to sense the potential of this year's team.

The core 4 are growing up right before our eyes, and bringing everyone along with them, including Geno.

While a loss or 2 is still a possibility and this year may not end with a 12th banner being hung at Gambel, if this team stays healthy, they have a very real chance of winning it all, and Geno is beginning to realize it.

Reaction Score
This team is making a believer out of Geno. Right after winning his 4th straight last yr, Geno said something to the effect that, "There's no way we're going to win it next year." At the time I don't believe he was practicing reverse psychology, he was just being honest.

About the time he called for "this team to get their ass beat" I believe he began to sense the potential of this year's team.

The core 4 are growing up right before our eyes, and bringing everyone along with them, including Geno.

While a loss or 2 is still a possibility and this year may not end with a 12th banner being hung at Gambel, if this team stays healthy, they have a very real chance of winning it all, and Geno is beginning to realize it.

Touché.

Reaction Score

upload_2016-12-6_11-34-49.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As far as Geno wanting a loss to use to his own devices, I don't know. I think a strong possibility is he does not want the winning streak to become a weight and a distraction. The December running of the gauntlet may take care of that. Indeed, Wednesday may take care of that, though I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Memba this team from 2014?

upload_2016-12-6_14-42-29.png

Three of them will be on the court in South Bend Wednesday night. The fourth coulda.

(click the pic to re-visit the 2014 story)

Reaction Score
I have never forgiven Notre Dame for stealing my high school's fight song;
"Cheer, cheer for old EHS, we've got the team we know is the best". A dastardly deed, indeed.
And for Scrabble Squads everywhere:

Cheer, cheer for our Scrabble squad!
They fill the board with words that are odd!
Adz and xebec, zax and qua,
Zarf and quinoa, pyx, and ka!
Zato and furzy, os, ut, and ugh,
Zygote and baba, yoho and vug!
They know every word except
The one that spells victory!

Mad Magazine

Reaction Score
29 hours 'til tipoff...have the ND fans started whining yet about how the refs are "stealing" the game from them?

Reaction Score
ESPN Poll

58 votes and 63% for UConn after I voted. :cool:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's Perspective or how you can use Stats suit you message. :)

Top Two Teams to Tangle Wednesday

There's one Stat that I found completely useless.

UConn could claim a similar stat, but not as good as ND's. :)

Very much a homer piece. Wow, so Notre Dame gets credit for beating previously "undefeated" teams in the first six games of the season. How meaningful.

The piece also contains a factual error: "The teams have met five times in the Final Four with Notre Dame claiming wins in the 2001, 2011 and 2012 semifinals. UConn beat the Irish in the 2013 semifinals and 2014 national championship game." I suppose the author has repressed the memory of the 2015 championship game, or perhaps all the losses kind of blend together at some point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA