Notre Dame headed to B1G for Hockey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame headed to B1G for Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bottom line: ND to B1G is a big nothingburger.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Meanwhile the homers on here, certainly saying this lightheartedly because I'm one of a small minority that would love UConn fully in the BIG, get to boast about Hockey East's dominance, which I guarantee is cyclical.

See? You understand that sports are cyclical. Now if only we could get others to do the same about our football program, we'd be all good. UConn football is trending back up-cycle. But there are plenty of nincompoops out there that think our Paul Pasqualoni era defines our football program. Makes you want to pound you head against a wall, eh?

And I agree with you: if B1G expands into the proper places, it has a chance of becoming the dominant college hockey conference. Avid fanbases in strong hockey markets in good recruiting areas located near large pods of B1G alumni. Hmmmm...I wonder why some of this sounds familiar? :)

Reaction Score
Bottom line: ND to B1G is a big nothingburger.

I wonder. I am sure that some at ND would actually prefer its non-revenue sports, i.e. everything but basketball and football, in the B1G, too as the travel costs are lower and it would foster more regional rivals as South Bend is a 2 1/2 hour drive to Michigan St, 2 to Purdue, 3 to Illinois, 2 to Northwestern, etc. With the problems the ACC is having with the ACCN, not with respect to money as ND has its own arrangement; but, with respect to conference stability, could this be treated as a 'warning' to the ACC to get its act together or ND can consider moving its sports sans football to the B1G?

Reaction Score
I wonder. I am sure that some at ND would actually prefer its non-revenue sports, i.e. everything but basketball and football, in the B1G, too as the travel costs are lower and it would foster more regional rivals as South Bend is a 2 1/2 hour drive to Michigan St, 2 to Purdue, 3 to Illinois, 2 to Northwestern, etc. With the problems the ACC is having with the ACCN, not with respect to money as ND has its own arrangement; but, with respect to conference stability, could this be treated as a 'warning' to the ACC to get its act together or ND can consider moving its sports sans football to the B1G?
B1G will never take ND w/o football in all other sports. Taking them in hockey was a thing of convenience for both sides...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
B1G will never take ND w/o football in all other sports. Taking them in hockey was a thing of convenience for both sides...

I agree that it is very unlikely, though this could still be taken as a 'warning' to the ACC because if the ACC looses Florida St, Clemson and maybe UNC, the value that ND sees in the ACC would be diminished. If the P5 becomes the P4 and being in a conference becomes the only way to get into the football playoffs, a B1G with UVA, UNC, G Tech and possibly FSU (or Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas) would be very attractive to ND.

Reaction Score
I agree that it is very unlikely, though this could still be taken as a 'warning' to the ACC because if the ACC looses Florida St, Clemson and maybe UNC, the value that ND sees in the ACC would be diminished. If the P5 becomes the P4 and being in a conference becomes the only way to get into the football playoffs, a B1G with UVA, UNC, G Tech and possibly FSU (or Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas) would be very attractive to ND.
First domino to fall in this scenario will be if the B12 expands and gets Texas to roll the LHN into a B12 Network. If that happens it will be interesting to see what goes next.

Reaction Score
Would be very interesting if ND moved its Lacrosse to the B1G, giving the B1G 7 members to the ACC's 4. Who knows, the B1G may become flexible with ND when long term dominance and cash are the main factors.

Reaction Score
Would be very interesting if ND moved its Lacrosse to the B1G, giving the B1G 7 members to the ACC's 4. Who knows, the B1G may become flexible with ND when long term dominance and cash are the main factors.
That would be a violation of their terms of membership in the ACC. If the ACC had a hockey conference this would be a moot point....with BC and ND required to be members.

Reaction Score
B1G will never take ND w/o football in all other sports. Taking them in hockey was a thing of convince for both sides...
How about convenience?:cool:

Reaction Score
That would be a violation of their terms of membership in the ACC. If the ACC had a hockey conference this would be a moot point....with BC and ND required to be members.
I gotcha. But violation schmiolation. ND can print money at will. That, or the potential demise of the ACC. UCONN's gotta get in at a 45 degree angle and I mean all the way in.
upload_2016-3-23_10-56-50.jpeg

Reaction Score
I have a feeling it will either be RIT or Miami, OH that becomes the 8th member. The latter will not make an ultimatum to field their other D1 programs in the BIG. Both have the academic profiles that can justify the armchair snobbery of BIG administrators. RIT represent new media territory & they are a bit further than say PSU with D1 development - already a Frozen Four appearance.

The BIG, as many PSU conspiracy theorists suggest - most definitely listens the needs of OSU and Michigan more than its other members. I don't want to proceed with the countless "conspiracy theories" here, nor the further isolation of Wisconsin and Minnesota on the western borders of BIG hockey. But I could : (.

If I'm UConn, I reject BIG Hockey membership only.

I'm maintaining the current course that many Minnesota hockey fans have taken, the NCHC offers a better product for college hockey - more Minnesota based teams, more tradition. If and when Minnesota does well, of course our loyalty remains - but road tripping to BIG games is not worth it - we can watch on tv.

The NCHC conference tourney, as well as the WCHA Final Five continues to outdraw the BIG hockey tourney.

Yes I realize the BIG has hockey upside, but OSU, MSU & PSU (I give them legitimate excuses due to their new beginnings) need to pick it up. I know Minnesota can & so far we have carried our weight, despite this year's worthy tourney omission - we got to the CG in 2014 as the BIG rep. But, I am really surprised with MSU's current mediocrity, Wisconsin's as well - both have won recent NCs at the expense of BC & neither look promising in the short term. We shall see.

PS I will remain a steadfast advocate for UConn to the BIG, all sports and academic benefits.

Reaction Score
Hypothetical Scenario........

The B1G decides to add an 8th school for hockey only. The B1G invites UConn to be that school.

Does UConn turn it down to remain in Hockey East or does UConn accept the invitation in the hopes that it is a step to joining the B1G as an all-sports member?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm surprised the B1G threw Notre Dame a bone even with their low amount of hockey schools. I thought the B1G was used to making the Irish suffer in any way possible for thinking their precious football team is too good for B1G's conference. Delaney should've made them suffer longer.
It's obvious to me that Notre Dame has been desperate to Big Ten for quite some time now. I think they made the move in the hopes that it might open the door to join the Big Ten at some time in the future. Seems desperate to me, but I wish them well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hypothetical Scenario...

The B1G decides to add an 8th school for hockey only. The B1G invites UConn to be that school.

Does UConn turn it down to remain in Hockey East or does UConn accept the invitation in the hopes that it is a step to joining the B1G as an all-sports member?
UConn says "Hell, no"

pj

Reaction Score
Hypothetical Scenario...

There have to be conversations about the other sports and the future relationship between UConn and the B1G. It can't be a pure hockey move with no strings or promises attached.

Reaction Score
Hypothetical Scenario...

They should and fellow BIG fans should reconsider a UConn addition & stop thinking AAU or football. It's a great school and the quality basketball they offer is a permanent reality for the BIG's second most important sport. UConn actually sews up the NYC market albeit I've never bashed the Rutger's add for the simple facst that outside the NYC metro, Jersey adds nearly 9 million people to the footprint and excellent prep football and basketball. Nearly 1/3 or NYC's metro will always reside in Jersey - I've never bought into the anti-Jersey New Yorkers - it's just smack talk.

Reaction Score
They should and fellow BIG fans should reconsider a UConn addition & stop thinking AAU or football. It's a great school and the quality basketball they offer is a permanent reality for the BIG's second most important sport. UConn actually sews up the NYC market albeit I've never bashed the Rutger's add for the simple facst that outside the NYC metro, Jersey adds nearly 9 million people to the footprint and excellent prep football and basketball. Nearly 1/3 or NYC's metro will always reside in Jersey - I've never bought into the anti-Jersey New Yorkers - it's just smack talk.
Go over to USCHO and let a certain Minnesota Gopher fan your view on UConn. He seems to think that it is a commuter school because of the little amount of research money compared to others that UConn brings in. He sings the praises of ND though...even they bring in less.

Reaction Score
Go over to USCHO and let a certain Minnesota Gopher fan your view on UConn. He seems to think that it is a commuter school because of the little amount of research money compared to others that UConn brings in. He sings the praises of ND though...even they bring in less.

em (<-- the word before this one was omitted by the moderators : ))

Reaction Score
http://www.thedailygopher.com/2016/3/23/11290782/notre-dame-joins-big-ten-hockey-2017

"Another team rumored to be looking at leaving Hockey east would be UCONN. The Huskies would like to jump to a different conference, but they would also want to join the Big Ten in all sports as they are not happy being stuck in the AAC."
From what I've read and heard through the grapevine, this rumor is absolutely and completely unfounded. Unless they're saying this from the perspective that UConn is seeking admission to the B1G in all sports and hockey would just follow along, there is absolutely no reason to believe UConn is actively seeking to leave Hockey East. That would be unfathomably stupid on their part.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling it will either be RIT or Miami, OH that becomes the 8th member. The latter will not make an ultimatum to field their other D1 programs in the BIG. Both have the academic profiles that can justify the armchair snobbery of BIG administrators. RIT represent new media territory & they are a bit further than say PSU with D1 development - already a Frozen Four appearance.

The BIG, as many PSU conspiracy theorists suggest - most definitely listens the needs of OSU and Michigan more than its other members. I don't want to proceed with the countless "conspiracy theories" here, nor the further isolation of Wisconsin and Minnesota on the western borders of BIG hockey. But I could : (.

If I'm UConn, I reject BIG Hockey membership only.

I'm maintaining the current course that many Minnesota hockey fans have taken, the NCHC offers a better product for college hockey - more Minnesota based teams, more tradition. If and when Minnesota does well, of course our loyalty remains - but road tripping to BIG games is not worth it - we can watch on tv.

The NCHC conference tourney, as well as the WCHA Final Five continues to outdraw the BIG hockey tourney.

Yes I realize the BIG has hockey upside, but OSU, MSU & PSU (I give them legitimate excuses due to their new beginnings) need to pick it up. I know Minnesota can & so far we have carried our weight, despite this year's worthy tourney omission - we got to the CG in 2014 as the BIG rep. But, I am really surprised with MSU's current mediocrity, Wisconsin's as well - both have won recent NCs at the expense of BC & neither look promising in the short term. We shall see.

PS I will remain a steadfast advocate for UConn to the BIG, all sports and academic benefits.
So far the list of schools are ASU, North Dakota, RIT, Miami OH etc. My question to you is: would any of these schools balk at a B1G invitation? Unless it is a matter of logistics, why didn't the B1G announce the 7th and 8th teams together (ND and one of the above)? After all, I would think the B1G should have had the 7th school all ready to sign up, as negotiations with ND went on. To this desperate, UConn to the B1G fan, the longer this unknown 8th team is delayed the more likely it may be UConn. How long do you think the choice of the 8th team will take before you think something else is going on?

Reaction Score
So far the list of schools are ASU, North Dakota, RIT, Miami OH etc. My question to you is: would any of these schools balk at a B1G invitation? Unless it is a matter of logistics, why didn't the B1G announce the 7th and 8th teams together (ND and one of the above)? After all, I would think the B1G should have had the 7th school all ready to sign up, as negotiations with ND went on. To this desperate, UConn to the B1G fan, the longer this unknown 8th team is delayed the more likely it may be UConn. How long do you think the choice of the 8th team will take before you think something else is going on?
8th team will be ASU...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak