Notre Dame headed to B1G for Hockey | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame headed to B1G for Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So far the list of schools are ASU, North Dakota, RIT, Miami OH etc. My question to you is: would any of these schools balk at a B1G invitation? Unless it is a matter of logistics, why didn't the B1G announce the 7th and 8th teams together (ND and one of the above)? After all, I would think the B1G should have had the 7th school all ready to sign up, as negotiations with ND went on. To this desperate, UConn to the B1G fan, the longer this unknown 8th team is delayed the more likely it may be UConn. How long do you think the choice of the 8th team will take before you think something else is going on?
The logic here doesn't work. They still have time to line up team 8. ND and/or ASU would jump in a heartbeat, RIT, Miami, Omaha, don't even waste time thinking about them. UConn is not being considered as a hockey-only as team 8. If the B1G was thinking of going all the way east for hockey-only members, the first call would be a conference call to the desks of Jerry York and David Quinn about a package deal. There's no reason to believe the B1G would expand all the way east, add loads of travel for their teams, and leave the two biggest and marketable programs on the table in favor of an upstart. The reason the B1G is adding ND is because competitively the league is doing horribly, and they need more teams for scheduling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I've read and heard through the grapevine, this rumor is absolutely and completely unfounded. Unless they're saying this from the perspective that UConn is seeking admission to the B1G in all sports and hockey would just follow along, there is absolutely no reason to believe UConn is actively seeking to leave Hockey East. That would be unfathomably stupid on their part.
In a athletic department where maximizing resources is key...nothing is better now than Hockey East without ND. 1 over night series up in Orono...the rest bus trips to and from the arenas on game night. Add to the regional rivalries in UConn's recruiting area. This can't be beat.

Reaction Score
Hypothetical Scenario...

The B1G decides to add an 8th school for hockey only. The B1G invites UConn to be that school.

Does UConn turn it down to remain in Hockey East or does UConn accept the invitation in the hopes that it is a step to joining the B1G as an all-sports member?
There have to be conversations about the other sports and the future relationship between UConn and the B1G. It can't be a pure hockey move with no strings or promises attached.
Hypothetical scenario++
If it is UConn, does this mean there was a promises made by the B1G? After all the consensus is no way UConn moves from Hockey East unless there is more to it. Hypothetical is all we got for now.

Reaction Score
8th team will be ASU...
Not debating the choice. The question is why the delay in announcing them? Especially if this choice is such a slam dunk? Logistical reasons, I can understand.

Reaction Score
Clearly, the Big 10 wants/needs more content and eyeballs for the BTN. Hockey could be a great sport content for BTN, but the Big 10 Hockey Conference is new and only contained 6 schools before ND joins. I would think they want more schools to join over time to increase content.

As for UConn, there is no way UConn can join the Big 10 as a hockey only. Why? You would be leaving the best hockey conference in which all games are drivable by bus. Plus, the Big 10 does not sponsor women's hockey, so the women would have to stay in Hockey East which could be a problem if the men leave. (ND does not sponsor women's hockey.) In addition, UConn in the Big 10 would open up Connecticut to pay full price for the BTN. If the Big 10 could get full price in Connecticut by just adding UConn hockey, it would be smart for the Big 10 and dumb for UConn.

Reaction Score
So far the list of schools are ASU, North Dakota, RIT, Miami OH etc. My question to you is: would any of these schools balk at a B1G invitation? Unless it is a matter of logistics, why didn't the B1G announce the 7th and 8th teams together (ND and one of the above)? After all, I would think the B1G should have had the 7th school all ready to sign up, as negotiations with ND went on. To this desperate, UConn to the B1G fan, the longer this unknown 8th team is delayed the more likely it may be UConn. How long do you think the choice of the 8th team will take before you think something else is going on?
Maybe the reason for announcing only Notre Dame is that they insisted it that way in order to have their day alone in the sun?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Okay, let's play more hypothetical games....

Let's say the B1G offered UConn a Notre Dame/ACC style of package, until UConn is AAU or the B1G feels completely confident in its football program remaining competitive. All sports invite except for a 5-game B1G football scheduling deal for the "interim" (interim = anywhere between 0-15 years). The payout would obviously be less than full share but even a partial B1G payment would roundhouse any full AAC payment we are scheduled to receive. Would UConn accept that?

Reaction Score
Maybe the reason for announcing only Notre Dame is that they insisted it that way in order to have their day alone in the sun?
Could be. Could also be the news was leaked. Don't know. Given we only heard about ND yesterday, we can hardly call the lack of an announcement of another team a "delay". But if this goes on for a few weeks, you might wonder why.

Reaction Score
Okay, let's play more hypothetical games....

Let's say the B1G offered UConn a Notre Dame/ACC style of package, until UConn is AAU or the B1G feels completely confident in its football program remaining competitive. All sports invite except for a 5-game B1G football scheduling deal for the "interim" (interim = anywhere between 0-15 years). The payout would obviously be less than full share but even a partial B1G payment would roundhouse any full AAC payment we are scheduled to receive. Would UConn accept that?
I would, if I was UConn. Any kind of association with a P5 conference, especially the B1G, would make the other conferences think twice about waiting it out on UConn. It can only be good, especially if there are financial gains to be made.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we were given a set of benchmarks to reach and assurance of full membership once we reach those benchmarks (with all being reasonably achievable) it would make sense to join for hockey only for the time being. Shy of that, leaving HE makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Not debating the choice. The question is why the delay in announcing them? Especially if this choice is such a slam dunk? Logistical reasons, I can understand.

I believe the delay relates to ASU's hockey barn. They currently play in a <800 capacity barn. Plans were to renovate it as of 1/30/2015.
http://www.houseofsparky.com/2015/1...-hockey-oceanside-ice-arena-renovation-update

That may change...

Recently, the Arizona Coyotes may be kicked out of Gila River Arena in Glendale after the COG(city of Glendale) voided a 15 year contract between the city and yotes by hiring a former Ice Arizona employee. The COG did this on purpose to get out of a 15 million a year management fee/subsidy paid to ice Arizona for running and managing the team while IA gets the subsidy and pretty much all other revenues other than paying rent. Stupid deal initially for COG, but smart to get out. Bond rating for city went up

Now, tony Leblanc and other fake owners (really the NHL) no longer can survive or afford all the losses without the 15 million arena management fee. They are trying avoid a lame duck season and telling fans they are going to partner with ASU and build a new NHL arena that will house ASU and the yotes.
http://howlinhockey.com/2016/01/31/...hip-with-arizona-state-in-tempe-seems-likely/

I could see the yotes relocating to Vegas or...

With a B1G invite, I could see them partnering with yotes and building a dual use arena for ASU sports and NHL hockey in Tempe. kinda like how were dreaming of a major tenant and uconn in new renovated arena in Hartford.

So, I think it's still up in the air where ASU will play. Unless ocean side gets renovated, they will still play most games @ GRA

Reaction Score
First domino to fall in this scenario will be if the B12 expands and gets Texas to roll the LHN into a B12 Network. If that happens it will be interesting to see what goes next.

Or the opposite. Texas digs its spurs in on maintaining the LHN's independents and Oklahoma puts a 'fore sale' sign out for its services with Kansas and maybe OK State following right behind.

Reaction Score
That would be a violation of their terms of membership in the ACC. If the ACC had a hockey conference this would be a moot point....with BC and ND required to be members.

Looking at the history of ND, there is no way they signed a GOR or whatever with the ACC that does not give them a loophole to get out if its in their best interests to do so.

Reaction Score
I would, if I was UConn. Any kind of association with a P5 conference, especially the B1G, would make the other conferences think twice about waiting it out on UConn. It can only be good, especially if there are financial gains to be made.

It may also provide enough funding and interest to push forward with expanding the Rent to +50K, which will eventually be needed of UConn joins any P5/P4 conference.

Reaction Score
There are ZERO competitive benchmarks that UCONN should need to meet in order to join the The B1G from an athletic perspective. They meet it, they have met it for 10+ years. Anyone saying otherwise is either a hater or brain damaged.

The only membership UCONN should accept from The B1G is a full membership. The only stipulation I would place on them would be a promise to upgrade Lacrosse at a point in the future.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
There are ZERO competitive benchmarks that UCONN should need to meet in order to join the The B1G from an athletic perspective. They meet it, they have met it for 10+ years. Anyone saying otherwise is either a hater or brain damaged.

The only membership UCONN should accept from The B1G is a full membership. The only stipulation I would place on them would be a promise to upgrade Lacrosse at a point in the future.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Reaction Score
Looking at the history of ND, there is no way they signed a GOR or whatever with the ACC that does not give them a loophole to get out if its in their best interests to do so.
They actually were required to sign a GOR for their olympic sports that compete in the ACC. They will owe a $50 Million buyout if they leave the conference. Football and hockey are the 2 sports that don't compete in the ACC.

Reaction Score
It's obvious to me that Notre Dame has been desperate to Big Ten for quite some time now. I think they made the move in the hopes that it might open the door to join the Big Ten at some time in the future. Seems desperate to me, but I wish them well.

The word is that it was the Big Ten who approached ND and changed its "all or nothing" stance.

Reaction Score
I believe the delay relates to ASU's hockey barn. They currently play in a <800 capacity barn. Plans were to renovate it as of 1/30/2015.
http://www.houseofsparky.com/2015/1...-hockey-oceanside-ice-arena-renovation-update

That may change...

Recently, the Arizona Coyotes may be kicked out of Gila River Arena in Glendale after the COG(city of Glendale) voided a 15 year contract between the city and yotes by hiring a former Ice Arizona employee. The COG did this on purpose to get out of a 15 million a year management fee/subsidy paid to ice Arizona for running and managing the team while IA gets the subsidy and pretty much all other revenues other than paying rent. Stupid deal initially for COG, but smart to get out. Bond rating for city went up

Now, tony Leblanc and other fake owners (really the NHL) no longer can survive or afford all the losses without the 15 million arena management fee. They are trying avoid a lame duck season and telling fans they are going to partner with ASU and build a new NHL arena that will house ASU and the yotes.
http://howlinhockey.com/2016/01/31/...hip-with-arizona-state-in-tempe-seems-likely/

I could see the yotes relocating to Vegas or...

With a B1G invite, I could see them partnering with yotes and building a dual use arena for ASU sports and NHL hockey in Tempe. kinda like how were dreaming of a major tenant and uconn in new renovated arena in Hartford.

So, I think it's still up in the air where ASU will play. Unless ocean side gets renovated, they will still play most games @ GRA
The Cayotes are building a New Area in the East Valley. The west valley was a huge mistake for them.
The land was donated by the Salt River Pima's between Scottsdale and Mesa
Not too far from Tempe.

Reaction Score
Posted this in non key tweets by mistake

Only in the world of Karmanos and Bettman would ASU make sense. Hopefully, the Big is smarter than the NHL

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The word is that it was the Big Ten who approached ND and changed its "all or nothing" stance.
2fishing(2).png

Reaction Score
The ASU addition makes sense at first glance, but once you peel back the layers I can't see how it's a good idea. The red flags that I see:

• Arizona State is far, far away from the other B1G Hockey programs. You're asking the existing programs to commit to playing at least one additional game 1,000+ miles away from campus. That's not a cheap endeavor to bring players, coaches, equipment across the country. It's not crippling, but you're talking a significant expense for something that isn't a preseason tournament and has conference championship (and by extension Frozen Four) implications.
  • Arizona doesn't care about hockey. The Coyotes are 29/30 in attendance this season and haven't crept out of the bottom 5 in league attendance since 2006-07 when they were 24th.
  • The B1G alums living in Arizona are on a fixed income. This isn't like when the B1G added Rutgers because they knew they had hundreds of thousands of alumni in the greater NYC-area aged 23-55. Arizona's B1G alums I would imagine are probably senior citizens who have retired there. You're telling me these folks are going to pack arenas and shell out hundreds of dollars per season ticket? No way, maybe they'll by an individual game when their alma mater is in town, but ASU is going to struggle to sell season tickets.
I may be wrong and ASU may get the nod as team 8, but I would be very weary of them if I were a B1G school president.

Reaction Score
The ASU addition makes sense at first glance, but once you peel back the layers I can't see how it's a good idea. The red flags that I see:

• Arizona State is far, far away from the other B1G Hockey programs. You're asking the existing programs to commit to playing at least one additional game 1,000+ miles away from campus. That's not a cheap endeavor to bring players, coaches, equipment across the country. It's not crippling, but you're talking a significant expense for something that isn't a preseason tournament and has conference championship (and by extension Frozen Four) implications.
  • Arizona doesn't care about hockey. The Coyotes are 29/30 in attendance this season and haven't crept out of the bottom 5 in league attendance since 2006-07 when they were 24th.
  • The B1G alums living in Arizona are on a fixed income. This isn't like when the B1G added Rutgers because they knew they had hundreds of thousands of alumni in the greater NYC-area aged 23-55. Arizona's B1G alums I would imagine are probably senior citizens who have retired there. You're telling me these folks are going to pack arenas and shell out hundreds of dollars per season ticket? No way, maybe they'll by an individual game when their alma mater is in town, but ASU is going to struggle to sell season tickets.
I may be wrong and ASU may get the nod as team 8, but I would be very weary of them if I were a B1G school president.

To be fair, ND/Michigan/Michigan St./Ohio St. all played in the CCHA with Alaska Fairbanks which makes Phoenix look like a day trip! Also, I think recruiting-wise promising a yearly vacation out of the mid-west winter could help bring kids to the B1G schools (if uniform style has an impact, it's worth a shot).

And just like the rest of the moves they have made, if they can get the BTN rolling in Pac-12 country that is a huge bonus for the conference even if it doesn't rake in NYC money.

Reaction Score
That's so simple I can't understand it at all.
After I read it for a fifth time I got it.

Notre Dame one of 6 from HE making NCAA tourney this year. Penn State arguably just as good as ND but the B1G with an awful Wisconsin and Ohio St crushed the B1G pairwise which is all that matters for selection to tourney. Does ND make it playing a "weaker" B1G schedule this past year? What happens with NBCSports ND hockey contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom