Non-Key Tweets | Page 985 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Swaim puts too much nonsense out there. I need credible sources to report on either of these "developments". Until then, Nebraska is firmly safe in the B1G and Texas A&M is firmly in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Texas A&M to the Big 10? It would be a death sentence for their football program.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Texas A&M to the Big 10? It would be a death sentence for their football program.
I don't know why TAMU would consider leaving the SEC for the B1G, but they haven't won a conference championship since 1998, and have only 3 NY6 bowl appearances in the past 25 years, so it's not like they're thriving.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't know why TAMU would consider leaving the SEC for the B1G, but they haven't won a conference championship since 1998, and have only 3 NY6 bowl appearances in the past 25 years, so it's not like they're thriving.
I imagine they are running away from Texas. It's what they do.

Reaction Score
Throwing stuff at walls and hoping it sticks
This strikes me as a lot of nonsense. Nebraska isn’t reorganizing it’s higher education system for the Big 10 not is the Big going to ask them to do it. And Texas A&M to the Big seems a non-starter for both sides. Texas maybe. It’s a death sentence for A&M and the Big gets what? Another Purdue without the basketball?

Reaction Score

At first blush, San Diego State's numbers look a bit scary. Their ratio of athletic to non-athletic debt looks way too skewed towards athletic. Maybe it was a "if you build it, they will come" strategy to get into the Pac 12. Colorado State is the only other non-P4 (I'm giving Wash St a pass) in the top 30 of athletic debt.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
At first blush, San Diego State's numbers look a bit scary. Their ratio of athletic to non-athletic debt looks way too skewed towards athletic. Maybe it was a "if you build it, they will come" strategy to get into the Pac 12. Colorado State is the only other non-P4 (I'm giving Wash St a pass) in the top 30 of athletic debt.
Without context it's impossible to determine if the debt any of these schools are carrying is a problem.

We are currently in an environment where any debt that is four to six years old is a massive bargain while anything new is at a cost that hasn't been seen in decades. I'll wager heavily that in many cases, schools listed above wish they borrowed more in 2019 than the did.

Another thing that needs to be considered is what the debt was used for. Even at recent interest rates, if it was used to build additional student housing, there is a very strong likelyhood that it was a quality investment.

I cannot speak on the athletic department debt without knowing what the sources were (I cannot see a bank loan to cover staffing salary increases) and how the funds were used.

Reaction Score
The Total Institutional Debt rankings were interesting...26 FBS schools with a debt of a billion..or more.

Georgia's relative debt was low...lower than Bowling Green and Ball State.

Reaction Score
C.W. Lambert@InsideTheBig12

Here's what I know about the Kansas rumor... and I discussed it before... months ago. Kansas and WVU are on the SEC's radar. Both would be more desirable - in future expansion - than ACC candidates other than CU/FSU. Nothing is imminent. Nothing could happen until 2031.

·
31m
My advice is don't worry about it. Don't get your hopes up. Don't count on it or brag about it. The Mountaineers have always been on the SEC's radar. The SEC has always thought highly of WVU football.

·
31m
The Mountaineers have been the runner-up 3 times losing out to Arkansas, South Carolina and Mizzou. Many in the SEC believe it was a mistake taking Mizzou over WVU.

·
32m
So when somebody credible tells me the SEC is looking at WVU again my first response is why? So they can break our hearts again? Leave us at the alter again?

·
32m
I can tell you a universal truth that you can take to the bank. The Jayhawks and Mountaineers need to win, they need to dominate the Big 12 between now and 2031. Because the Big 12 program that dominates - reaches the playoffs on a regular basis - becomes the SEC's first choice.

·
32m
I'm not going to argue with anyone who disrespects the Mountaineer program and the SEC's interest. Do your damn research. Adding WVU would plant the SEC flag squarely in B1G territory. PA, OH, MD, etc. WVU would have natural rivalries with Kentucky and Tenn.

·
33m
Again, Kansas and WVU might have pole position as the race starts... but its a long way from the finish line. They might have the SEC's eye right now, but they have 6 years to earn an invitation... or lose it.

Reaction Score
GREG SWAIM SHOW@GSwaim
·
1h
Just officially began hospice yesterday, so keep those prayers coming!!

GREG SWAIM SHOW
@GSwaim
I haven't advertised this, but 57 years after doctors in Columbus, Ohio told my parents that I probably wouldn't live to 20, they apparently were only off by 41-plus years.

I'm going into hospice soon, but really don't know exactly how long I have...so will compete until the day I go home.

I'm now on a ventilator 23-plus hours daily in bed (why I have so much time to post on social media and watch sports ), but very comfortable at this point and enjoying my family.

I really delayed posting this, because I'll get the traditional "I'm so sorry..." and that's fine, but what I'd rather get from those I grew up with, went to college with, and those I've known since the 90's to share a favorite memory with you that I may have forgotten!!

I'm very much at peace with this, as it was inevitable at some point, and I've been able to do so many things in a profession that I've created and love...and two of my sons will take over the family business and no doubt will take it to an entirely new level.

I do believe strongly in prayer, and will take anything you've got, but DO NOT feel bad for me, as I've done so much and have been so blessed with family and friends in my 61-plus years.

Ok, now that I've got that off my chest, let's talk sports...and bring it, as you know I definitely will
9:09 PM · Jan 29, 2024
from Oklahoma, USA

Lynn Ketelsen@Lynn_Ketelsen
·
Jan 30
Greg, what is your condition?

GREG SWAIM SHOW@GSwaim
·
Feb 3
Nemaline Myopathy

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This isn’t an issue if you have

endowments much larger than those debts. The endowments are invested. If the returns are greater than the interest in the debt, you are fine.

Reaction Score
I imagine they are running away from Texas. It's what they do.
I knew they were rivals but this seems more like hate .
They were not happy with not being told by the SEC in advance of the Texas add and when they voiced their disapproval they were pretty rudely rebuffed .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Here's what I know about the Kansas rumor... and I discussed it before... months ago. Kansas and WVU are on the SEC's radar. Both would be more desirable - in future expansion - than ACC candidates other than CU/FSU. Nothing is imminent. Nothing could happen until 2031.

·
31m
My advice is don't worry about it. Don't get your hopes up. Don't count on it or brag about it. The Mountaineers have always been on the SEC's radar. The SEC has always thought highly of WVU football.

·
31m
The Mountaineers have been the runner-up 3 times losing out to Arkansas, South Carolina and Mizzou. Many in the SEC believe it was a mistake taking Mizzou over WVU.

·
32m
So when somebody credible tells me the SEC is looking at WVU again my first response is why? So they can break our hearts again? Leave us at the alter again?

·
32m
I can tell you a universal truth that you can take to the bank. The Jayhawks and Mountaineers need to win, they need to dominate the Big 12 between now and 2031. Because the Big 12 program that dominates - reaches the playoffs on a regular basis - becomes the SEC's first choice.

·
32m
I'm not going to argue with anyone who disrespects the Mountaineer program and the SEC's interest. Do your damn research. Adding WVU would plant the SEC flag squarely in B1G territory. PA, OH, MD, etc. WVU would have natural rivalries with Kentucky and Tenn.

·
33m
Again, Kansas and WVU might have pole position as the race starts... but its a long way from the finish line. They might have the SEC's eye right now, but they have 6 years to earn an invitation... or lose it.
Lambert's modus operandi: here's rumor about P4 school possibly going to a different conference. Adds "and West Virginia" and posts it as inside info.

Reaction Score
Lambert's modus operandi: here's rumor about P4 school possibly going to a different conference. Adds "and West Virginia" and posts it as inside info.

My favorite quote of his here - "Kansas and WVU are on the SEC's radar. Both would be more desirable - in future expansion - than ACC candidates other than CU/FSU."

So he thinks Kansas and WVU are more valuable than UNC, UVA, Miami, etc.? Hmmm....... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This isn’t an issue if you have

endowments much larger than those debts. The endowments are invested. If the returns are greater than the interest in the debt, you are fine.
Thats not how it works. In general, most of the endowment is for specific things like scholarships, endowed professorships,... which can not be used to pay off the debt.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Thats not how it works. In general, most of the endowment is for specific things like scholarships, endowed professorships,... which can not be used to pay off the debt.
Well aware of that. Still doesn't change the fact that if your endowment is greater than your debts, those who gave would much rather see the school survive if it came to brass tacks. The donor can amend in times of need.

Reaction Score
Well aware of that. Still doesn't change the fact that if your endowment is greater than your debts, those who gave would much rather see the school survive if it came to brass tacks. The donor can amend in times of need.
You really don't understand endowments. You do realize that many of the operating expenses are paid for by endowment funds already. The scholarship money from the endowment already goes to the operating funds. If you even could redirect the money to pay interest or pay down debt, you would reducing the operating funds of the university and creating a major problem. And, it is almost impossible to change the terms of a restricted donation to an endowment and the endowment is comprised of thousands of individual endowments. To help understand the issue, at Syracuse, the average endowment fund out of the total $1.9 billion endowment is ~$750k.

When colleges have debt, they have to pay off the debt through operating revenues and/or unrestricted donations.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You really don't understand endowment
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Uh... never mind...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member