Non-Key Tweets | Page 859 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As for the on campus stadium, just declare a committee has been formed to evaluate the options in an effort to bring a stadium in the next ten years and leave it at that.
Yep, in 10 years Rentschler will be 30 years old which is it extended useful life.

(And please, nobody talk to me about how old the Yale bowl or the Rose Bowl are. It's an apples and oranges comparison given the different type of construction.)

CL82

Reaction Score
It’s not just that. It would help for basketball, move in and out times and would help encourage development in the area. That’s why it hasn’t happened yet, Mansfield wants UConn to be 1/4 its current size when it should be 50% bigger, with more private sector research parks and associated development.
If someone wants to make a case for the development of an improved highway system through eastern Connecticut, feel free, but it is unnecessary for a on campus stadium.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
If someone wants to make a case for the development of an improved highway system through eastern Connecticut, feel free, but it is unnecessary for a on campus stadium.
It is 40000 people six days a year. That's probably 90,000 extra car trips a year. It would be insanity to upgrade the roads for that extra load.

CL82

Reaction Score
I feel like Jim Williams has not been a proponent of are joining the Big 12 in the past. Has he heard something?

IMG_9529.jpeg

IMG_9528.jpeg

Reaction Score
This video is a good visual representation about research dollars and realignment. It really shows how the PAC 12, a conference that values research, has no good candidates to add. Also, Oregon, which is hoping to get a Big 10 invite, spends so little on research even though it is AAU.

Reaction Score
I feel like Jim Williams has not been a proponent of are joining the Big 12 in the past. Has he heard something?

View attachment 89585
View attachment 89584
Getting on board. Looks like this will happen. Not this week and maybe not next until Friday. If not then, the following week. Past performance is not a predictor of future performance. And I have been wrong before. But the tea leaves are orienting themselves North-South and yet they are not magnetic. It can only mean one thing.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Getting on board. Looks like this will happen. Not this week and maybe not next until Friday. If not then, the following week. Past performance is not a predictor of future performance. And I have been wrong before. But the tea leaves are orienting themselves North-South and yet they are not magnetic. It can only mean one thing.
We’re doomed.

Reaction Score
Talk is cheap will be their response. Show us your record at the end of the season.
And our response is, "Have you seen where we live?" It's called the northeast corridor. Pretty swanky, and we're the only game in town. By the time you make up your mind we may have another date. Dither and risk Dominoes takeout in one hand and your you-know-what in the other. Or maybe you think there's more value in grabbing six Arizona and five Utah schools to lock up a couple of corners. Don't let our shabby duds fool you. We got rid of those tailors. Jim Mora's in town and he's got all the latest fashions.

Reaction Score
Talk is cheap will be their response. Show us your record at the end of the season.
You just posted:

"My analysis, FWIW, is that the die is cast and we are in for a fortnight of softening up the base with friendly propagandists before it is announced".

That is what he is doing.

Reaction Score
And our response is, "Have you seen where we live?" It's called the northeast corridor. Pretty swanky, and we're the only game in town. By the time you make up your mind we may have another date. Dither and risk Dominoes takeout in one hand and your you-know-what in the other. Or maybe you think there's more value in grabbing six Arizona and five Utah schools to lock up a couple of corners. Don't let our shabby duds fool you. We got rid of those tailors. Jim Mora's in town and he's got all the latest fashions.
Really now .... ;)

Reaction Score
You just posted:

"My analysis, FWIW, is that the die is cast and we are in for a fortnight of softening up the base with friendly propagandists before it is announced".

That is what he is doing.
In the wider world, people who post here have zero influence. Talking about the talking heads podcasts, etc.

Reaction Score
This video is a good visual representation about research dollars and realignment. It really shows how the PAC 12, a conference that values research, has no good candidates to add. Also, Oregon, which is hoping to get a Big 10 invite, spends so little on research even though it is AAU.

A couple questions…
Do we know these figures to be true? Very surprised to see Colorado St higher than UConn on the R&D spend.
If that is true, and this was a meaningful metric, why is Colorado St not on Big 12 radar?

Interesting view. I don’t know that this particular metric is the priority. It’s all about prestige (fb pecking order), branding, other AD success. That’s what the media partners are monetizing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A couple questions…
Do we know these figures to be true? Very surprised to see Colorado St higher than UConn on the R&D spend.
If that is true, and this was a meaningful metric, why is Colorado St not on Big 12 radar?

Interesting view. I don’t know that this particular metric is the priority. It’s all about prestige (fb pecking order), branding, other AD success. That’s what the media partners are monetizing.
I'm not sure I understand what they are measuring. "Spending" isn't really the right word. What AAU and B1G schools are looking at is receiving more money, research grants. You want that money flowing in, and it then funds your research activities. That money attracts super smart people as professors, and those people likewise attract the money. Students also then want to come to a school where they are exposed to cutting edge research and brilliant people. It's an ecosystem.

As for Colorado State, it was formerly an A&M, and is still very engineering focused, especially Mechanical Engineering.
I continue to believe that UConn efforts on the research side are greatly hampered by Mansfield. If you want to really play in that space, you have to build facilities, and often that will mean public-private partnerships, with development outside of university property. You can see some of what Colorado State has done here. Colorado State University - Wikipedia

CL82

Reaction Score

One would think that, if the Pac 12 actually had a deal in this range, they would announce it to quash all the speculation that no one is interested in them. I have to wonder with whom the supposed linear deal is with given that it appears that none of the major players have an interest. I also have to wonder why there is a spread on the range. It makes me think there may be a speculative component to the non-linear portion of the deal, perhaps subscriber-based. If so that upper and maybe wishful thinking.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Colorado State also has a top forestry school and gets lots of research funding from USDA.

Reaction Score

One would think that, if the Pac 12 actually had a deal in this range, they would announce it to quash all the speculation that no one is interested in them. I have to wonder with whom the supposed linear deal is with given that it appears that none of the major players have an interest. I also have to wonder why there is a spread on the range. It makes me think there may be a speculative component to the non-linear portion of the deal, perhaps subscriber-based. If so that upper and maybe wishful thinking.

Also, what kind of "source" would actually allow a writer to describe who they are ("administrator at Stanford")? That person either: i) would be fired immediately; ii) doesn't really know anything and is just trying to look important; or iii) is being told what to feed Jim Williams.

Reaction Score
Big 12 Media Days are on Wednesday and Thursday. Heartland College Sports' Pete Mundo discusses the top five storylines heading into the event. He says Yormark will play it close to the vest regarding expansion, but a coach may slip up and say something.

SDSU and UConn talk at 18:05. He says Yormark is an East Coast, New York City guy and he's infatuated with UConn. He has to get the Presidents on board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand what they are measuring. "Spending" isn't really the right word. What AAU and B1G schools are looking at is receiving more money, research grants. You want that money flowing in, and it then funds your research activities. That money attracts super smart people as professors, and those people likewise attract the money. Students also then want to come to a school where they are exposed to cutting edge research and brilliant people. It's an ecosystem.

As for Colorado State, it was formerly an A&M, and is still very engineering focused, especially Mechanical Engineering.
I continue to believe that UConn efforts on the research side are greatly hampered by Mansfield. If you want to really play in that space, you have to build facilities, and often that will mean public-private partnerships, with development outside of university property. You can see some of what Colorado State has done here. Colorado State University - Wikipedia
I was thinking same thing. I think they get $’s but in turn spend it, which is what these guys were saying.
My friend in the admissions world also just confirmed Colorado State is very big in the animal research world. Overall they are just slightly ahead of UConn for research $’s

Reaction Score

1689007182501.jpeg

UConn has done similar with the medical school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom