Non-Key Tweets | Page 860 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
A couple questions…
Do we know these figures to be true? Very surprised to see Colorado St higher than UConn on the R&D spend.
If that is true, and this was a meaningful metric, why is Colorado St not on Big 12 radar?

Interesting view. I don’t know that this particular metric is the priority. It’s all about prestige (fb pecking order), branding, other AD success. That’s what the media partners are monetizing.
That metric is actually disadvantageous to UConn. They have been on an upward curve. Last year or last three years would be better. And I do not think NSF data includes private sector R&D. Back in the day I sent them some funding to UConn and I am pretty sure that NSF would not have access to those dollars unless it was federal law that they be reported.

What totally blows my mind is how Oregon can be in the AAU. They are at de-minimus levels unless they report Nike funding separately.

Reaction Score
That metric is actually disadvantageous to UConn. They have been on an upward curve. Last year or last three years would be better. And I do not think NSF data includes private sector R&D. Back in the day I sent them some funding to UConn and I am pretty sure that NSF would not have access to those dollars unless it was federal law that they be reported.

What totally blows my mind is how Oregon can be in the AAU. They are at de-minimus levels unless they report Nike funding separately.
My friend mentioned their Oregon funding probably excluded Oregon Health Sciences which is a separate school. He said with that funding, Oregon is middle of Pac 12

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
My friend mentioned their Oregon funding probably excluded Oregon Health Sciences which is a separate school. He said with that funding, Oregon is middle of Pac 12
Yes, OHSU is completely independent, not anymore connected to University of Oregon than Oregon State or PSU.

Reaction Score
Yes, exactly, because Farmington isn't the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately for AAU purposes, the med school doesn't count because it is off campus.
Well, it may not count but off campus is sure not the reason

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, it may not count but off campus is sure not the reason
That is literally the reason. AAU doesn't consider off campus med schools. It impacts Kansas' number as well and was the main reason Nebraska lost its AAU status (med school in Omaha).

Reaction Score
Yes, exactly, because Farmington isn't the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately for AAU purposes, the med school doesn't count because it is off campus.
Many medical schools and their affiliated hospitals are located off campus. Yale, Harvard, Cornell, BU, Tufts and UMass to name a few.

Reaction Score
That is literally the reason. AAU doesn't consider off campus med schools. It impacts Kansas' number as well and was the main reason Nebraska lost its AAU status (med school in Omaha).
It is a friggin UConn hospital. Their medical campus.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still don't think they are hammering the fact that the northeast has tons of college football fans that aren't necessarily UConn fans. The game started here. But they all root for teams like Notre Dame, Navy and Big 10 teams. These people will support Big 12 football here the second it is offered.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is a friggin UConn hospital. Their medical campus.
It's technically UConn Health in Farmington. What happens at Avery Point doesn't count either. I'm not arguing for or against, simply saying that's what AAU does.

As @UCONNJACK said, this is common. UMass, Kansas, Maryland, many others. Nebraska got voted out in large part because the med school was in Omaha. Here is an excerpt from Nebraska's sumbission when they were reviewed in 2011.

Attachments

• 1689017169440.png
    1689017169440.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 57
Reaction Score
Many medical schools are distant from their schools' main campus but have their research dollars included.

My potentially flawed understanding is that Nebraska's "medical school is under a separate administrative structure, so the research dollars it brings in are not counted by the association."

Reaction Score

Clearly they are going over their potential conference options and the P12 possible media package scenarios so they will have a prepared response based on media package outcomes. I doubt if that Retreat will drive a B12 announcement the next day unless the media package direction is known in enought detail already (which it might be). But I have been wrong before.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You mean the Paterno doctrine?
You mean the Strauss/Nasser/Anderson Doctrine? I think its pretty clear that bad things happen in every organization and in every corner of society. I'm not sure what Big Ten Team that you're a fan of, but I'm sure I could sling plenty of mud at you with one 20 second Google Search. The time for shaming others is long been over. We're all living in a Spiderman Meme.

Reaction Score
You mean the Strauss/Nasser/Anderson Doctrine? I think its pretty clear that bad things happen in every organization and in every corner of society. I'm not sure what Big Ten Team that you're a fan of, but I'm sure I could sling plenty of mud at you with one 20 second Google Search. The time for shaming others is long been over. We're all living in a Spiderman Meme.
Wow. That may be the non-political record for whataboutism.

I don't care that boys were raped in the shower and my institution didn't do anything about it because it might have hurt the football program. What about ....

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Clearly they are going over their potential conference options and the P12 possible media package scenarios so they will have a prepared response based on media package outcomes. I doubt if that Retreat will drive a B12 announcement the next day unless the media package direction is known in enought detail already (which it might be). But I have been wrong before.
Eh, they might not be. Colorado has a serious lawsuit against them regarding their Cross Country program. My guess that’s what it’s about.

Reaction Score
Wow. That may be the non-political record for whataboutism.

I don't care that boys were in the shower and my institution didn't do anything about it because it might have hurt the football program. What about ....
Where did I defend Sandusky's Actions or the handling of events by my school? It gets tiring to read flippant remarks which make fun of a serious situation, and also demean an entire group of people with zero involvement in any scandal. Institutionalized hazing at NW has F all to do with Penn State, yet here we are. What happened at NW as no more to do with Penn State than it does Larry Nasser abusing juvenile gymnasts at MSU, or Strauss and Anderson abusing student athletes at OSU and UM respectively. Its beyond old and its all inappropriate.

Reaction Score
Where did I defend Sandusky's Actions or the handling of events by my school? It gets tiring to read flippant remarks which make fun of a serious situation, and also demean an entire group of people with zero involvement in any scandal. Institutionalized hazing at NW has F all to do with Penn State, yet here we are. What happened at NW as no more to do with Penn State than it does Larry Nasser abusing juvenile gymnasts at MSU, or Strauss and Anderson abusing student athletes at OSU and UM respectively. Its beyond old and its all inappropriate.
You didn't defend it. Defending it would be fine -- at least you'd be taking a stand. What I accused you of doing -- because it's what you did -- was engage in whataboutism. You implied we don't have to be worried about it or discussing it because someone else did something bad as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom