Non-Key Tweets | Page 712 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 5h5 hours ago
BYU and UC welcome to the Big12. Still trying to get verification on all sports or FB only.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 5h5 hours ago
My source just texted me that both schools have the votes...

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
I apologize to all fans of BYU and UC. The votes were there but TV execs won out. I'm done with this crap. I leave you in shame.

ME: Don't blame it on the sunshine, don't blame it on the moonshine, don't blame it on good times, blame it on the boogie

Extra credit for those who spot the "error" ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of the Twitterati, he was most correct and changed his tune the least:

I figured someone would pat him on the back during his victory lap.

He got nothing right until now when it was obvious this was the outcome.

Reaction Score
I figured someone would pat him on the back during his victory lap.

He got nothing right until now when it was obvious this was the outcome.

I think he was pretty plugged into what Oklahoma was thinking. I think if BYU did not have their candidacy torpedoed by their issues, the "Four To Get Two" thing was the most likely scenario, or at least the one Oklahoma wanted/was lobbying for. That fell apart and no other package could get 8 votes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think he was pretty plugged into what Oklahoma was thinking. I think if BYU did not have their candidacy torpedoed by their issues, the "Four To Get Two" thing was the most likely scenario, or at least the one Oklahoma wanted/was lobbying for. That fell apart and no other package could get 8 votes.

Why do you believe that? They have literally gotten nothing right until the obvious play that the Big 12 wasn't going to expand - which Boren all but said over a month ago.

I took a ton of crap immediately after the ACC annoucement for saying they weren't going to expand because it would damage them in the future with their TV partners. I should have said I had sources...

Flug is a version of the Dood who can stay on message.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
image.png

oh @Dooley

smh

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Holy crap the Dude put a coherent thought together.

If OU and UT wanted out they would have supported expansion because they wouldn't have cared about any future repercussions.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 1h1 hour ago
BTM First Text since B12 meeting "Big 12 non-action today is good indication Shanks/Silverman talks are bearing trees now, fruit in future"

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 37m37 minutes ago
Fox Sports President Erick Shanks BTN President Mark Silverman For those interested in OU's future...these names will become important.

Counting Down 2025 ‏@Expansion_Crush 32m32 minutes agoAtlanta, IN
@flugempire I think Silverman will be the next Commissioner. Delany doesn't have to mentor him. He would be a great leader.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 30m30 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush I think you might be right.

Jim Johnson ‏@JimUSFSig 29m29 minutes ago
@flugempire How will OU get to the Big Ten without AAU membership? Seriously. That would be a first. Ever. Even NEB had it when offered.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 25m25 minutes ago
@JimUSFSig Wrong. Michigan State was invited and entered into B10 many years before it became AAU.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 18m18 minutes ago
Michigan State: AAU membership started: 1964 Michigan State: Big Ten membership started: 1950 Just a friendly reminder.

Reaction Score
Holy crap the Dude put a coherent thought together.

If OU and UT wanted out they would have supported expansion because they wouldn't have cared about any future repercussions.

Why go to the trouble of voting for schools if they are already halfway out the door? Seems like at this point just keep status quo and get the Grant of Rights over with and get the heck out of there. I don't see any reason to support expansion if they just wanna get the heck out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why go to the trouble of voting for schools if they are already halfway out the door? Seems like at this point just keep status quo and get the Grant of Rights over with and get the heck out of there. I don't see any reason to support expansion if they just wanna get the heck out.

For one it keeps you from looking like fools on a national stage.

In addition to avoiding looking completely inept you can squeeze 10MM each out of the deal before the GOR runs out.

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda ‏@TuxedoYoda · 3h3 hours ago
Folks, B12 had 4 teams with 8 votes needed. TV Partners $ to not add at last minute killed everything. Don't blame UT & OU. All on TV.

Reaction Score
For one it keeps you from looking like fools on a national stage.

In addition to avoiding looking completely inept you can squeeze 10MM each out of the deal before the GOR runs out.

It's been reported by virtually everyone that no one could agree on the teams involved, so what's the point in fighting if not everyone else could agree either? Secondly, they already look like fools. And if they expanded only to leave in 6 years, they'd still look like fools. It's for that reason it's been reported they didn't want to "squeeze" more money out of the networks because everyone would realize they're just looking for a short term payday. At this point there's really nothing to gain. The networks were fighting back, the schools were fighting over who to add, what's really the point for OU and UT to challenge this if they truly know the Big 12 is on its death bed?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sorry there is evidence that goes against your narrative that certain schools are joining the Big 10?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry there is evidence that goes against your narrative that certain schools are joining the Big 10?

There's not evidence of that at all. The only evidence I see is that the Big 12 is dying and everyone knows it and can see it except you and West Virginia bloggers. I'm sorry that it goes against your discredit flug mission. But it's true.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
l
There's not evidence of that at all. The only evidence I see is that the Big 12 is dying and everyone knows it and can see it except you and West Virginia bloggers. I'm sorry that it goes against your discredit flug mission. But it's true.

Flug is discredited by anyone who can read. His nonsense is there for anyone who would like to go read it - most of it is right here on this very board. Defending him makes you look like an idiot - knock yourself out.

The Big 12 may very well end up dying. The fact they didn't take the short term cash grab tells reasonable people that Oklahoma and Texas may still be interested in staying in the long term.

Attack me if you like - I had Big 12 expansion nailed down on day one so it might just be I know what I'm talking about.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
l

Flug is discredited by anyone who can read. His nonsense is there for anyone who would like to go read it - most of it is right here on this very board. Defending him makes you look like an idiot - knock yourself out.

The Big 12 may very well end up dying. The fact they didn't take the short term cash grab tells reasonable people that Oklahoma and Texas may still be interested in staying in the long term.

Attack me if you like - I had Big 12 expansion nailed down on day one so it might just be I know what I'm talking about.

I don't think you know as much as you think you do. Predicting no expansion was hardly difficult.

After the circus of the past 90 days and the no vote, I have come to the opposite conclusion. UT and OU are not serious about sticking around past the expiration of the GOR. They probably would like too, but I think they were hit over the head by the tv partners with the realities of cable $$ going forward. If UT and OU were serious about staying they would have picked two or four schools, cut a deal with the ESPN / Fox to pay the new schools a lesser amount and let the tv cos keep the difference as a good will gesture. They also would have selected schools based largely on media value with tv input to again help the tv partners today and in 2023. They also would have pushed to extend the GOR either a couple years (symbolic gesture) or to match the ACC terms (true commitment).

Doing nothing makes the conference vulnerable, hardly a sign of long term commitment. And there is every reason to think big media, it this new time of shrinking cable boxes, wouldn't prefer to trim the NCAA football hierarchy to four power confs.

Reaction Score
l

I'm not defending flug. I've said my opinion on the matter. I don't really care. I'm perplexed why you spend so much time trying to talk people out of believing him, but whatever. That's your call. Point is, you're so hellbent on convincing folks he's wrong about everything that you're actually going against the common sense angle everyone else can see... the Big 12 is in real trouble. They know it. There's a reason why Oklahoma and Texas refuse, flatly refuse, to extend the Grant of Rights. They won't extend the Grant of Rights and they don't even care enough at this point to find common ground on expansion. That *should* tell you all you need to know if you weren't so clouded about whether or not flug is right. The writing is on the wall. One doesn't have to believe flug is a legit source of information to see that plain as day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think you know as much as you think you do. Predicting no expansion was hardly difficult.

After the circus of the past 90 days and the no vote, I have come to the opposite conclusion. UT and OU are not serious about sticking around past the expiration of the GOR. They probably would like too, but I think they were hit over the head by the tv partners with the realities of cable $$ going forward. If UT and OU were serious about staying they would have picked two or four schools, cut a deal with the ESPN / Fox to pay the new schools a lesser amount and let the tv cos keep the difference as a good will gesture. They also would have selected schools based largely on media value with tv input to again help the tv partners today and in 2023. They also would have pushed to extend the GOR either a couple years (symbolic gesture) or to match the ACC terms (true commitment).

Doing nothing makes the conference vulnerable, hardly a sign of long term commitment. And there is every reason to think big media, it this new time of shrinking cable boxes, wouldn't prefer to trim the NCAA football hierarchy to four power confs.

No offense but I predicted it from the start and made the point on day 1 that the impact to their future negotiations with media partners would be negatively impacted.

We can go back in the archives if you'd like. We can also grab all the threads where I predicted the ACC was going to be fine and FSU and Clemson weren't going anywhere. That was also a very unpopular opinion that proved right.

Expanding would not make the Big 12 any more stable. Every single
team they could have expanded with now will still be available when their GOR expires.

Texas and Oklahoma may ultimately stay for the exact same reason that Florida State and Clemson were never leaving the ACC. It's their best path to the CFB playoff.

Schools competing for football national championships are a lot more interested in their path to the playoffs than a few million marginal
dollars in television revenue.

Reaction Score
No offense but I predicted it from the start and made the point on day 1 that the impact to their future negotiations with media partners would be negatively impacted.

We can go back in the archives if you'd like. We can also grab all the threads where I predicted the ACC was going to be fine and FSU and Clemson weren't going anywhere. That was also a very unpopular opinion that proved right.

Expanding would not make the Big 12 any more stable. Every single
team they could have expanded with now will still be available when their GOR expires.

Texas and Oklahoma may ultimately stay for the exact same reason that Florida State and Clemson were never leaving the ACC. It's their best path to the CFB playoff.

Schools competing for football national championships are a lot more interested in their path to the playoffs than a few million marginal
dollars in television revenue.

@whaler11 be like...
barry-horowitz-o.gif

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not defending flug. I've said my opinion on the matter. I don't really care. I'm perplexed why you spend so much time trying to talk people out of believing him, but whatever. That's your call. Point is, you're so hellbent on convincing folks he's wrong about everything that you're actually going against the common sense angle everyone else can see... the Big 12 is in real trouble. They know it. There's a reason why Oklahoma and Texas refuse, flatly refuse, to extend the Grant of Rights. They won't extend the Grant of Rights and they don't even care enough at this point to find common ground on expansion. That *should* tell you all you need to know if you weren't so clouded about whether or not flug is right. The writing is on the wall. One doesn't have to believe flug is a legit source of information to see that plain as day.

They don't extend the GOR because there is no upside.

That doesn't mean when 2025 rolls around they are leaving.

If I went along with what everyone thought was common sense I would have been wrong about Clemson and FSU joining the Big 12 and I would have been wrong about Big 12 expansion not happening before or after the ACC network annoucement.

So maybe not going with what everyone thinks is 'common sense' leads to what actually happens.

I've got no sources and have been right three times in a row. Maybe I'm wrong the fourth time - but anytime I can hold the opposite opinion of someone like you I'll ride it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Am I too late to take my victory lap too. Cause you know I'm smart too and like to tell people they're idiots and like I knew from the beginning and so, well I'm like the smartest person like ever. :rolleyes:

And here I thought Shizzle had the least to offer tonight.

Someday Art you'll be right about something and you can take a victory lap. Maybe someone will ask you what time it is and you'll know.

Reaction Score
They don't extend the GOR because there is no upside.

That doesn't mean when 2025 rolls around they are leaving.

If I went along with what everyone thought was common sense I would have been wrong about Clemson and FSU joining the Big 12 and I would have been wrong about Big 12 expansion not happening before or after the ACC network annoucement.

So maybe not going with what everyone thinks is 'common sense' leads to what actually happens.

I've got no sources and have been right three times in a row. Maybe I'm wrong the fourth time - but anytime I can hold the opposite opinion of someone like you I'll ride it.

Well sheesh who am I to argue with that sort of intellectual superiority. You got it all figured out. You must be making billions of dollars with all this foresight into the world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom