Non-Key Tweets | Page 684 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
That's only because there is now an arbitrary destinction between P5 and what BCS leagues were. There is precedent because a three-year-old-FBS-UConn once entered a BCS league.
that's the point; UConn's having to make this leap twice because the BCS league we upgraded into got stolen out from under us; I have equal amounts of venom for ESPN, the former BE football partners that beat us to the escape hatches and cut all the ropes behind them, and the motley collection currently besmirching the name 'Big East' that screwed it up in the first place.. but why should we be bitter? BTW, what current P5 member has been a P5 member for more than three years?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Jesse Cottam‏@cot_byufootball
Big 12 expansion 'not a sure thing,' OU president David Boren says - via @ESPN App @GSw aim Thoughts?

GREG SW AIM SHOW ‏@GSw aim 3h3 hours ago
GREG SW AIM SHOW Retweeted Jesse Cottam

You haven't been reading my tweets the last 24 hours, have you?

GREG SW AIM SHOW ‏@GSw aim 2h2 hours ago
OU President David Boren a smart guy, who knows how to get message across to other #Big12 presidents. Do his bidding, or #Sooners are gone!!

damon graham‏@damongraham
@GSw aim you think this was his way saying lets go 4 or we go else where

GREG SW AIM SHOW Retweeted damon graham

Yes I do.

Make no mistake about it, this #Big12 drama is between the two stars, OU and Texas...the rest are just picking sides.

Son of a Bishop‏@bwbishop35
@GSw aim The odd thing is that it doesn't have to be that way. #byu and #Bearcats would fit nicely, AND complement the conference.

GREG SW AIM SHOW Retweeted Son of a Bishop

Tell Texas.

Chuck CarltonVerified account‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
Colleague @KSherringtonDMN explains why it makes sense for Big 12 to expand now with a less certain longterm future.

Why Big 12 will add these two schools, but conference won't last for the long term | SportsDay

Morgan Wick‏@morganwick
Morgan Wick Retweeted Chuck Carlton

@frankthetank111

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 3h3 hours ago
Frank the Tank Retweeted Morgan Wick

This looks more likely to me - there's really no short-term downside to Big 12 expansion. Long-term is up to UT & OU

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 2h2 hours ago
@frankthetank111 @morganwick long term downside is that the networks blackball the B12 in future tv deal

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Very true, in the region covered by the 9 original Colonial colleges, the only state school to start separate from them and has been successful academically has been Penn St (up against U Penn and to a lesser degree U Pitt, which has history back to 1787). Even Rutgers, which started out as one of the 9, Queen's College, has struggled to get out of Princeton's shadow. UVA is also exceptional; but, its competition, William & Mary, became a statue university after the Civil War. Looking forward, UConn at this time looks to be the only state university in that footprint to have the ability to permanently make that jump.
Actually RU isn't actually Queens College. They just bought the buildings after it shut down for the third time. There was a gap of a year or so between the two institutions.

(While I'm nit picking, UConn had plenty of basketball success prior to 1980.)

Reaction Score
read from bottom to top, nothing earth shattering of course....

[URL='https://twitter.com/flugempire']Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 53s53 seconds ago
BTM:OU Contacts "Uconn, Cincy, and Houston have active Big Presidents carrying their water. BYU has lost their carriers"

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire [/URL] 2m2 minutes ago
BTM:OU Contacts "Boren worked tirelessly to have data presented to Big 12 Presidents.But victory short lived with BYU not protecting Big 12"

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 5m5 minutes ago
BTM:OU Contacts "We can't get consensus with 2, not close" "We can't get to 4 without BYU protecting Big12 Presidents with public statement"

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 7m7 minutes ago
BTM:OU Contacts ""Oklahoma people" perception in regards to Boren's statements yesterday has to do with frustration toward BYU's candidacy"

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 9m9 minutes ago
BTM: OU Contacts "No changes. There is no credible movement toward consensus of any two candidates among Big 12 candidates for expansion"

Reaction Score
So it looks like by Flug's "source" its that they cant come to terms on any combo of 2, but 4 would work with BYU but BYU isn't going to change their honor code,which means no ball

Reaction Score
So it looks like by Flug's "source" its that they cant come to terms on any combo of 2, but 4 would work with BYU but BYU isn't going to change their honor code,which means no ball
In fairness to Flug's source, this is the same thing he's been saying from the beginning, that there would be no consensus on two specifics and four was the only option. Whether it's actually true, who knows.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
read from bottom to top, nothing earth shattering of course....

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 53s53 seconds ago
BTM:OU Contacts "Uconn, Cincy, and Houston have active Big Presidents carrying their water. BYU has lost their carriers"

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire
2m2 minutes ago
BTM:OU Contacts "Boren worked tirelessly to have data presented to Big 12 Presidents.But victory short lived with BYU not protecting Big 12"

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 5m5 minutes ago
BTM:OU Contacts "We can't get consensus with 2, not close" "We can't get to 4 without BYU protecting Big12 Presidents with public statement"

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 7m7 minutes ago
BTM:OU Contacts ""Oklahoma people" perception in regards to Boren's statements yesterday has to do with frustration toward BYU's candidacy"

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 9m9 minutes ago
BTM: OU Contacts "No changes. There is no credible movement toward consensus of any two candidates among Big 12 candidates for expansion"

This fits with my interpretation of Boren's remarks from the Key Tweets thread.

Reaction Score
start from bottom again...
  1. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 8m8 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "Hard road to 14 with BYU" "Impossible road to 14 without BYU" "Road is closed to 12"

2. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 10m10 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "Which gets us back to UC & UConn having once again broadest support in Big 12.But combo doesn't have a University of Texas"

3. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 12m12 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contact "Houston needed 14. 14 needs BYU. Big 12 Presidents need protection and are not getting it from BYU." "Needs not being met"

4. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 14m14 minutes ago
  5. BTM:OU Contacts "But that simple math is perceived as not enough to push toward 12. No consensus. Houston has little support outside Texas"

6. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 16m16 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "Only leverage left for pro expansion forces in Big 12 is data of 12 schools easier for berth in College Football playoffs"

7. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 18m18 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contact "Data was clear. BYU would strengthen Big 12 "on the ground". "Without BYU candidacy Boren can't use data. No more pliers"

8. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 21m21 minutes ago
    BTM: OU Contact "Pro Expansion forces in Big 12 used data and its presentation to Big 12 Presidents as its pliers to pry open discussion"

9. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 26m26 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "When Boren stated he wanted expansion that would help put butts into seats, this was about BYU = on the ground data"

10. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 28m28 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "Unless we see a quick public display from BYU to modify Honor Code to protect Big 12 Presidents...expect expansion tabled"

11. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 30m30 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "UH & UC is D.O.A" UH & UConn is D.O.A" "UC & UConn is D.O.A"

12. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 32m32 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contact "Boren is dissaponted. Not a happy man which makes negotiations toward compromise even more complicated"

13. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 35m35 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "No public change in Honor Code has eroded support. Which has greatly eroded data argument for 14"

Reaction Score
start from bottom again...
  1. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 8m8 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "Hard road to 14 with BYU" "Impossible road to 14 without BYU" "Road is closed to 12"

2. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 10m10 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "Which gets us back to UC & UConn having once again broadest support in Big 12.But combo doesn't have a University of Texas"

3. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 12m12 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contact "Houston needed 14. 14 needs BYU. Big 12 Presidents need protection and are not getting it from BYU." "Needs not being met"

4. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 14m14 minutes ago
  5. BTM:OU Contacts "But that simple math is perceived as not enough to push toward 12. No consensus. Houston has little support outside Texas"

6. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 16m16 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "Only leverage left for pro expansion forces in Big 12 is data of 12 schools easier for berth in College Football playoffs"

7. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 18m18 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contact "Data was clear. BYU would strengthen Big 12 "on the ground". "Without BYU candidacy Boren can't use data. No more pliers"

8. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 21m21 minutes ago
    BTM: OU Contact "Pro Expansion forces in Big 12 used data and its presentation to Big 12 Presidents as its pliers to pry open discussion"

9. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 26m26 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "When Boren stated he wanted expansion that would help put butts into seats, this was about BYU = on the ground data"

10. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 28m28 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "Unless we see a quick public display from BYU to modify Honor Code to protect Big 12 Presidents...expect expansion tabled"

11. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 30m30 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "UH & UC is D.O.A" UH & UConn is D.O.A" "UC & UConn is D.O.A"

12. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 32m32 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contact "Boren is dissaponted. Not a happy man which makes negotiations toward compromise even more complicated"

13. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 35m35 minutes ago
    BTM:OU Contacts "No public change in Honor Code has eroded support. Which has greatly eroded data argument for 14"

That's cause for optimism. Listen, I was just at the Bama game last Saturday. They love religion, but Roll Tide is waaay up there on the pecking order. So, I reckon BYU gets 'religion' and comes public with modified Honor Code.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's cause for optimism. Listen, I was just at the Bama game last Saturday. They love religion, but Roll Tide is waaay up there on the pecking order. So, I reckon BYU gets 'religion' and comes public with modified Honor Code.

That's a big leap. Imagine instead that Auburn was the one and only university for the Southern Baptist Church. Imagine that it's primary mission was to educate members of the church, and to evangelize and convert others. That football players stopped playing to take a "mission". That's what BYU is. We're not talking about a Catholic college, or SMU being Methodist, we are talking about a school that is a true extension of the LDS church.

Now consider that they already have a sweet TV deal with ESPN as an independent and their own TV network. Why do they change the code that reflects their core beliefs again? I don't think they are going to budge. They don't need the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Highly unlikely. BYU survives without the Big12. They may not be a playoff contender, but they will continue to have athletic success and decent schedules without the Big 12. And the hierarchy of CLDS does not change codes at their flagship university just because.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's a big leap. Imagine instead that Auburn was the one and only university for the Southern Baptist Church. Imagine that it's primary mission was to educate members of the church, and to evangelize and convert others. That football players stopped playing to take a "mission". That's what BYU is. We're not talking about a Catholic college, or SMU being Methodist, we are talking about a school that is a true extension of the LDS church.

Now consider that they already have a sweet TV deal with ESPN as an independent and their own TV network. Why do they change the code that reflects their core beliefs again? I don't think they are going to budge. They don't need the Big 12.

BYU won't budge for the Big 12. On the other hand, if the groundswell on this issue is impacting business in Utah or corporate ties with BYU, they will tweak the Honor Code. I haven't been paying enough attention to this issue to know if this is the case.

Reaction Score
Highly unlikely. BYU survives without the Big12. They may not be a playoff contender, but they will continue to have athletic success and decent schedules without the Big 12. And the hierarchy of CLDS does not change codes at their flagship university just because.
Good points made, but I disagree. Nelsons' point is valid on the Utah business/corporate impact. In the words of the great Bobby Dylan...."oh the times, they are a changin'..."

Reaction Score
My opinion is no way BYU changes anything for b12. I don't want to see support for 2 teams, because we won't be one of the two. Looks like I may have more time for other activities soon.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
BYU won't budge for the Big 12. On the other hand, if the groundswell on this issue is impacting business in Utah or corporate ties with BYU, they will tweak the Honor Code. I haven't been paying enough attention to this issue to know if this is the case.

Don't hold yout breathe. I know several bishops in the LDS church in CT. They are steadfast in their beliefs. That is not to say that there are ongoing discussions on the LGBT subject, there are. Until you understand their beliefs, you cannot understand their Honor Code. Its not as easy as people think.

Reaction Score
Mormons have needed to update the honor code for decades. This is thier opportunity to get in if they are just willing to change some of thier extremist views. Keep your door to door religion salesmen but for gods sakes leave the gays and lesbians alone.

Makes perfect sense as BYU makes all the expansion candidates stronger as well with lots of Mormons in places like NYC, Boston, and Ohio. I really hope it works out as Mormons are very easy to dislike so sporting events are much more exciting with BYU.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Even if the honor code is updated it won't be overnight. It will take longer than the Big 12 expansion window will be open.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom