Non-Key Tweets | Page 671 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Today's U ‏@TodaysUSports 45m45 minutes ago
The foremost candidates for #Big12 expansion know they need to produce strong 2016 seasons.
Big 12 Yearns For Successful Season From Expansion Candidates

>>For the purposes of this exercise, consider BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and UConn as the main targets for the Big 12 with Memphis as a wild card. The Big 12 is a tremendous basketball conference; Cincinnati, Memphis and especially UConn would be great additions in that regard, but football is still and likely will always be the real moneymaker in college sports.<<

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Today's U ‏@TodaysUSports 45m45 minutes ago
The foremost candidates for #Big12 expansion know they need to produce strong 2016 seasons.
Big 12 Yearns For Successful Season From Expansion Candidates

>>For the purposes of this exercise, consider BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and UConn as the main targets for the Big 12 with Memphis as a wild card. The Big 12 is a tremendous basketball conference; Cincinnati, Memphis and especially UConn would be great additions in that regard, but football is still and likely will always be the real moneymaker in college sports.<<

What a weak article. They say nothing other than naming the various head coaches.

Reaction Score
I mean, it's good for optics if candidates have good seasons but at this point, I hope the hang-up isn't that the Big 12 is waiting around to see who has a good start to the year so they can sell whatever they are planning to the masses. Because that would be an utterly stupid way to go about making a long-term decision like this. There's no better example than UCF, who a couple seasons ago was this burgeoning BCS-quality super power. Then they lay an 0-12 egg. That's just how it goes with almost every G5 school out there - maybe not that extreme but that's why using a candidate team's recent record as validation is ridiculous.

There's a few schools out there with a legit football resume...BYU, Boise State, ECU. The latter two have zero chance of getting an invite. So really, you've got BYU. And then UConn, for me, is no different than UCF/USF, Houston, Memphis, etc when it comes to football. Make a good hire, get some momentum and you can win and draw crowds. Make a bad hire...things can dwindle quickly when your schedule is not P5 level. It will be no different for Houston if they get left behind and Herman leaves and they don't adequately replace him. Their Texas location will not save them...new stadium allure will eventually wear off. They didn't just move to Houston 5 years ago. They don't have a history of drawing 30,000+ in lean years. In 2005 they drew 15,000 per game.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
There's no better example than UCF, who a couple seasons ago was this burgeoning BCS-quality super power. Then they lay an 0-12 egg.

But they've hired Scott Frost and he's turning the program around! They're a real up and comer!

Make a good hire, get some momentum and you can win and draw crowds. Make a bad hire...things can dwindle quickly when your schedule is not P5 level.

It works that way for schools in the P5 too. *Cough* Kansas.

Miami, Michigan, and our dear friends at Louisville CC are other P5 examples of schools that made one bad hire and were set back. Granted Michigan and Louisville never stopped selling tickets (or in Louisville's case, giving them away with every Papa John's pizza ordered and probably with every hooker ordered too, but I digress) but Miami suffered in the stands as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“Multiple industry sources indicated the next logical step will be culling the candidates down to a manageable number for final interviews,” [Chuck Carlton of the Dallas Morning News] wrote. “The sources indicated that invitations and a public announcement are unlikely in the next two weeks, with a likely timeline of mid-September to mid-October ahead of a scheduled Big 12 board of directors meeting.”

Paging the Flightaware guys....

UConn football seems to be trending in the right direction under head coach Bob Diaco

Well I like that narrative better than citing stats from the PP years.

Reaction Score
But they've hired Scott Frost and he's turning the program around! They're a real up and comer!

Miami, Michigan, and our dear friends at Louisville CC are other P5 examples of schools that made one bad hire and were set back. Granted Michigan and Louisville never stopped selling tickets (or in Louisville's case, giving them away with every Papa John's pizza ordered and probably with every hooker ordered too, but I digress) but Miami suffered in the stands as well.

Yeah well Kansas has a special case of inept hiring. It's not a few years of setback or one bad hire. It's taking a program that trounced Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl in 2008 and blowing it back to the stone ages.

My point is that it is even more difficult without a P5 schedule to generate interest. I'm giving you guys more slack than my own team because of that. The narrative that Houston or UCF or Memphis is this superior football school to UConn is hogwash. All can look varying levels of good and bad playing year in and year out in the AAC.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Alabama and Ohio State had relative down years as well, as has Nebraska. Southern Cal is just now coming out of it, like Michigan. KU is great evidence of the impact of coaching. They were pretty strong in my years under Glen Mason, featuring guys like Dana Stubblefield and Gilbert Brown. Then sucked, then had one great year with Mangino...then Gill and Charlie Weiss....ugh. I don't really know if Beaty is the guy. He doesn't fill me with optimism the way Diaco does, and his reliance on passing and skill players seems a harder way to get to respectable. Diaco's emphasis on size, power, defense and running yield a team that can be competitive more regularly.

Reaction Score
Resisting the temptation to critique Flug's narrative too much...

let me just ask all of you: what do you suppose he means with "Iowa State's President is Big 12's Gandhi"?

I doubt he means Iowa State will go independent as India did from Britain.

Does he mean Leath is negotiating peace? Or does he mean Leath championing the rights of the conference underdogs?

Quite a distinction between the two. The former could be good. The latter could explain Flug's other comments about Texas' bad attitude towards the process.

Like I said on the Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets yesterday, never underestimate Texas' hubris.

Reaction Score
They seem to forget how badly a Frost can hurt Florida...
628x-1.jpg

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
“Multiple industry sources indicated the next logical step will be culling the candidates down to a manageable number for final interviews,” [Chuck Carlton of the Dallas Morning News] wrote. “The sources indicated that invitations and a public announcement are unlikely in the next two weeks, with a likely timeline of mid-September to mid-October ahead of a scheduled Big 12 board of directors meeting.”

UConn football seems to be trending in the right direction under head coach Bob Diaco

It doesn't matter that we lost to Marshall going to a bowl game was huge from a perception standpoint.

Reaction Score
Re Kansas...

They had one good double digit year...stuck in the middle of a string of either bad or mediocre years.

A sign of a good team is a double digit win year....the sign of a good program is a string of double digit years...and it ain't that easy.

If they win double digit this year, these P5 programs will have consecutive streaks of:

Alabama...8 years
Clemson....6 years
FSU...........5 years
Ohio St......5 years
Mich, St.....4 years
Baylor........4 years
Wis............3 years
TCU...........3 years
Georgia......3 years

and a host od P5 programs that had a double digit last year and looking for the second consecutive double digit this year
Oklahoma...2 years
OK State.....2 years
Michigan.....2 years
Florida........2 years
Stanford.......2 years
Oregon.........2
Ole Miss.......2

The consecutive double digit win streak is tough to prolong....have to hand it to Saben...

Reaction Score
Not sure what the Dude is posting, but it must have involved UConn because Flug posted this in response:

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 1h1 hour ago

So @theDudeofWV has gone from his article "UConn has no shot" to his Twitter "UConn surge" all within last 72 hours? Only the Dude man...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not sure what the Dude is posting, but it must have involved UConn because Flug posted this in response:

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 1h1 hour ago

So @theDudeofWV has gone from his article "UConn has no shot" to his Twitter "UConn surge" all within last 72 hours? Only the Dude man...

It was a long back and forth. But this is mentioned (start at the bottom).

1. Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 22h22 hours ago
    @BriUConn @uconn24_7 But WVU won't have the chance to vote for UCONN over BYU. That's what I'm saying...
  2. In reply to Brian A
    Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 22h22 hours ago
    @BriUConn @uconn24_7 UCONN's surge has come from OU. WVU supports UCONN too. WVU would vote for UCONN over BYU.

Reaction Score

That's a carwash timeline right there.

Reaction Score
It was a long back and forth. But this is mentioned (start at the bottom).

1. Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 22h22 hours ago
    @BriUConn @uconn24_7 But WVU won't have the chance to vote for UCONN over BYU. That's what I'm saying...
  2. In reply to Brian A
    Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 22h22 hours ago
    @BriUConn @uconn24_7 UCONN's surge has come from OU. WVU supports UCONN too. WVU would vote for UCONN over BYU.
The Dude has given me a reason to cheer for the Sooners to put the hammer down on the Cougars.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 3h3 hours ago
So @theDudeofWV has gone from his article "UConn has no shot" to his Twitter "UConn surge" all within last 72 hours?
Only the Dude man...

@vidikron25
BYU/UH/UCONN/UC
According to OU contacts, BYU (same with other 3 schools)need larger EXP package of 4 to gain 8 votes.

@DooleyMcStitch @theDudeofWV
BYU has best "on the ground data"...UConn has best "Over the air data"
But BYU & UConn both need UH/UC added

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h2 hours ago
The fear of ESPN is not so much.
In 2024 B12 schools will be looking for new media interests(Twitter-Netflix)

ESPN's higher priorities of ACC/SEC + partial B1G package over Big 12 has been acknowledged by B12 Presidents

ESPN's Proxy of Texas still holds clout (UH) but can't stop EXP to 14 if consensus not there on 11/12..

UH + 1 does not get it done.
BYU + Cincy or UConn does not get it done
Must go to UC/UConn/UH/BYU

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
Power Lunch: Chat with columnist Berry Tramel | NewsOK.com
Tramel's outlook on B12 Expansion matches yesterday's our OU Contacts dark view.
Friction among B12 Presidents.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I can live with no expansion because it means real drama for the B12 dwarfs as several won't be saved by a life raft. The B1G, SEC and ACC $ machines can only take on the very best teams.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Kansas will need an eastern partner for the Big Ten.

That's my dream scenario really. What an amazing hoops league too. I'm sure folks in Lawrence would welcome back the Nebraska horde to fill Memorial Stadium. It really is something to see. And Iowa would become a good local rival, and probably Wiscy in hoops. UConn would likely build rivalries with MSU and Maryland.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom