Non-Key Tweets | Page 847 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
we are tweaking out a little over the silence and the what seems like an eternity in the making PAC12 deal. The deal either is or isn't going to happen and there are deadlines so things are going to start moving soon.
Are you talking about the July 1 date? That date applies to SDSU, but I'm not seeing how it applies to the PAC 12. The PAC 12 is letting SDSU twist in the wind, regardless of the July 1 date. I don't understand why people say that things are going to start happening soon.

Reaction Score
Are you talking about the July 1 date? That date applies to SDSU, but I'm not seeing how it applies to the PAC 12. The PAC 12 is letting SDSU twist in the wind, regardless of the July 1 date. I don't understand why people say that things are going to start happening soon.

Reaction Score
The more important pressure will come from these institutions who want to start budget work for the year after next. While these contracts account for only small part of their budgets, I know they would like to have an idea of those projections sooner rather than later.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If there is any truth to Gonzaga even being remotely considered then we need to concede the possibility (and maybe probability) that all this UConn smoke is to add us to the Big XII for basketball only. If we were so valuable and considered "P5" by the networks, we would have had an offer already - and probably a long time ago and certainly ahead of the most recent G5 call ups and/or future call ups like SDST and SMU.

The reality is as much as Mora breathed some life into our football program, we are still a very long way from adding much to the equation. We all know our basketball is blue blood level but there is only so much basketball adds so I could see some kind of special basketball only deal along with Gonzaga where in our case it maybe includes a football scheduling tie in agreement.

I know this place would go crazy if this was the case but I can't help thinking that is what is actually happening behind the scenes...
Could not agree more! Well, except that Yormark expressly said that any program that played football would not be added as a full member.

So, actually, I guess that I couldn't agree less.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't understand why people say that things are going to start happening soon.
the shawshank redemption life GIF

Reaction Score
If there is any truth to Gonzaga even being remotely considered then we need to concede the possibility (and maybe probability) that all this UConn smoke is to add us to the Big XII for basketball only. If we were so valuable and considered "P5" by the networks, we would have had an offer already - and probably a long time ago and certainly ahead of the most recent G5 call ups and/or future call ups like SDST and SMU.

The reality is as much as Mora breathed some life into our football program, we are still a very long way from adding much to the equation. We all know our basketball is blue blood level but there is only so much basketball adds so I could see some kind of special basketball only deal along with Gonzaga where in our case it maybe includes a football scheduling tie in agreement.

I know this place would go crazy if this was the case but I can't help thinking that is what is actually happening behind the scenes...
There is no reason for UConn to accept an offer for basketball only. There is no reason to think the money they would pay us for that is wildly different than what we’re worth to the Big East.

Reaction Score
There is no reason for UConn to accept an offer for basketball only. There is no reason to think the money they would pay us for that is wildly different than what we’re worth to the Big East.
Agreed. But frankly very little of this wave makes sense to me especially the reports of a basketball only offer for Gonzaga. And if there was any validity to those comments, then to me nothing should be considered far fetched regardless of what people are reporting Yormark expressly said.

I truly hope UConn gets a full offer and gets somewhere in the neighborhood of what the other schools are getting. But in the world of conference realignment, I don’t trust/believe much of what is being reported until something is official.

Reaction Score
Agreed. But frankly very little of this wave makes sense to me especially the reports of a basketball only offer for Gonzaga. And if there was any validity to those comments, then to me nothing should be considered far fetched regardless of what people are reporting Yormark expressly said.

I truly hope UConn gets a full offer and gets somewhere in the neighborhood of what the other schools are getting. But in the world of conference realignment, I don’t trust/believe much of what is being reported until something is official.
That's how I am, too, not just in conference realignment but recruiting as well. The reports make for interesting reading, FWIW, but IMO should always be taken with a pound of salt because the possibility of the actual results being different from the predictions/reports is very high.

Reaction Score

It makes no sense at all for UConn to accept a non-football offer. Keep in mind, it wouldn't be "basketball only." It would be everything that the Big 12 has other than football.

The Big East isn't perfect, but neither is the Big 12. The Big East is just as good as the Big 12 in basketball and many other sports it plays. The only reasons to join the Big 12: i) money, and that money is only a big enough difference with football; and ii) quality football schedule and bowl access. Number (ii) is a bit of a strawman. This is all about money.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more! Well, except that Yormark expressly said that any program that played football would not be added as a full member.

So, actually, I guess that I couldn't agree less
Let’s see what happens to Colorado.

Reaction Score
It makes no sense at all for UConn to accept a non-football offer. Keep in mind, it wouldn't be "basketball only." It would be everything that the Big 12 has other than football.

The Big East isn't perfect, but neither is the Big 12. The Big East is just as good as the Big 12 in basketball and many other sports it plays. The only reasons to join the Big 12: i) money, and that money is only a big enough difference with football; and ii) quality football schedule and bowl access. Number (ii) is a bit of a strawman. This is all about money.
It’s always about money when money is involved.

UConn can not continue its path in perpetuity without p5 revenue.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I've seen worse.

I think the SEC would rather have VT than FSU to get in to the Virginia market. Maybe both.

I've always thought 72 was the magic number for a breakaway from the NCAA. Need four more teams to make the cut. SMU, BCU and USF seem like the most obvious ones to add.

Reaction Score
I've seen worse.
I think the SEC would rather have VT than FSU to get in to the Virginia market. Maybe both.

I've always thought 72 was the magic number for a breakaway from the NCAA. Need four more teams to make the cut. SMU, BCU and USF seem like the most obvious ones to add.
wake seems to be left off that chart too.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wake was also

wake seems to be left off that chart too.

So add WFU, BCU, SMU and USF to the Big12 and you get 72.

I'd move a few around but that's 3 mega conferences with 72 teams total.

Reaction Score
I've seen worse.

BC can join the Patriot League, where they will hover around 0.500 and make the occasional early-December bowl.

Karma is undefeated.

Reaction Score
So add WFU, BCU, SMU and USF to the Big12 and you get 72.

I'd move a few around but that's 3 mega conferences with 72 teams total.
I’m a UConn#1/Wake#2 guy. I think UConn is better positioned now for what is coming than the Deacs. WF is the smallest of the current P5, with a undergrad count of about 5500. That, and being the number #4 in North Carolina, is going to make it an uphill battle. Having VA Tech and Clemson relatively close by doesn’t help. What they have going for them is a national alumni footprint that is focused from NC up through the northeast corridor. BC, by comparison, has about 9500 undergrads but alumni base is more regional/parochial.

I wonder if there is room for a tier below for the Wake/ BC/ Duke (6800 undergrads)/ Vandy (7100 undergrads/ Northwestern (9000? undergrads)/ etc to say F this arms race — we can exist athletically in a tier below and still maintain our academic prestige? Might be a tough sell for Duke basketball traditionalists though.

Reaction Score
I've seen worse.

What about Virginia to the SEC and VT to the Big 12? I have to think UVA and UNC will be the schools most highly sought after by the SEC and Big 10 if/when they become available.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I don’t see the SEC doubling down on Oklahoma by taking Okie State. Kansas maybe? Va Tech? There’s also no ND there. Would they go back to the Big East? Would the Big East even have them?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What about Virginia to the SEC and VT to the Big 12? I have to think UVA and UNC will be the schools most highly sought after by the SEC and Big 10 if/when they become available.
I don’t see the SEC doubling down on Oklahoma by taking Okie State. Kansas maybe? Va Tech? There’s also no ND there. Would they go back to the Big East? Would the Big East even have them?

The most obvious swap I see would be Okie St staysin Big 12 and VT goes to SEC. Absolutely agree it's better for SEC to be in the Virginia market than doubling down on the Oklahoma market.

Virginia Tech is inland Virginia and fits in nicely with Kentucky, Tennessee and North and South Carolina.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom