Non-Key Tweets | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They can even get delusional correct. They think a team like Houston or SMU won't pony up the cash to join D4, no pun intended. The P5 wouldn't be able to keep them out. They go to B12 over UConn or Boise in this fantasy scenario.

There are questions to be answered:
1. Is D4 all-sports or FB only and if all-sports does the NCAA BB tourney include only D4 teams?
2. If FB only, are current conferences kept or modified, perhaps by region, are there only 5? 6? or do they go straight to 8 with an 8-team playoff? Are there 4 superconferences with 18 teams each?
3. What does the schedule look like? 12 games? 13 games? or is it 8 conference games with league semis finals feeding the current 4-team playoff? Or it is the current free for all?
4. How is the $$$ split and what do the TV partners want out of this?

Plus a bunch more surrounding the actual requirements for D4, ND's place in it and who decides all these things. If this is contingent upon a consensus of 70-80 schools, then nothing is going to happen.

Reaction Score
They can even get delusional correct. They think a team like Houston or SMU won't pony up the cash to join D4, no pun intended. The P5 wouldn't be able to keep them out. They go to B12 over UConn or Boise in this fantasy scenario.

There are questions to be answered:
1. Is D4 all-sports or FB only and if all-sports does the NCAA BB tourney include only D4 teams?
2. If FB only, are current conferences kept or modified, perhaps by region, are there only 5? 6? or do they go straight to 8 with an 8-team playoff? Are there 4 superconferences with 18 teams each?
3. What does the schedule look like? 12 games? 13 games? or is it 8 conference games with league semis finals feeding the current 4-team playoff? Or it is the current free for all?
4. How is the $ split and what do the TV partners want out of this?

Plus a bunch more surrounding the actual requirements for D4, ND's place in it and who decides all these things. If this is contingent upon a consensus of 70-80 schools, then nothing is going to happen.

Not to mention about eleventy billion potential different lawsuits that could come out of this scenario.

Reaction Score
The B1G, by most accounts, is not done with CR. Who is available for them to take?

Who gives a rat's ass about the Big12.

When the dust settles, being that UConn has so much to offer, we will be fine.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My preferences for conference realignment:

B1G
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
ACC
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Big 12
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
AAC

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda@TuxedoYoda4h
Talk in Austin is that the 5 power conf.s go to 16. 80 total teams = top tier for cfb. Best bet for B12: BYU, Boise, UCF, USF, UConn & Cinci

Tuxedo Dodo really is a moron. If each of the p5 goes to 16 why would UConn got to the Big 12?

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Dodo really is a moron. If each of the p5 goes to 16 why would UConn got to the Big 12?

We wouldn't. We're the best fit for the B1G as an institution, but there would be some serious re-thinking by the ACC if they saw us gone and B1G about to bury the hatchet on NYC and the Northeast in general. Cuse and BC just ain't gonna cut it except for Hoops access to MSG. And the hockey upgrade tells me all I need to know about where we would like to end up.

Reaction Score
I think the Big 12 will be forced to expand to 12 unless they get a waiver from the NCAA on holding a championship game with less than 12 members...which I doubt. In that case BYU and Cincy make the most sense geographically. BYU and Uconn make the most sense financially. BYU and one the Florida directionals makes the most sense football wise.

Then again, I have lost track on the waiver issue and the number of teams in the Big 12....

Reaction Score
The one thing that seems to be definite in all of this Division 4 talk is this...there are schools like UCONN that are willing to pony up the cash (Herbst voted in favor of the stipend when Presidents took the vote at an NCAA conference last year) while some that are presently in the "Big 5" conferences are on the fence and may even say no. This in a way makes it easy for this process to move forward...all you have to do is replace the ones who don't want to pony up the cash with the ones who do.

Reaction Score
If there is any truth to the pending shake-out of a P5/D4 NCAA group, I hope Warde and Herbst are be doing a lot of behind-the-scenes networking and marketing to pump-up the perceived value of UConn (we all know the real value). They cannot publically whine about it either was that tact does not work. What I am concerned about is if a D4 is about to emerge, I have a feeling it will be logistically and financially very difficult to get on that train after it leaves the station. Kind of like MLB and AAA, the PawSox are not getting promoted to the Majors EVER.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Five conferences of 16 teams seems difficult to achieve without a significant hit to avg team gross revenues within each league...something that wont go down well with college presidents. Seems like the lesser schools would have to accept an adjusted payout to keep the current 'winners' whole....which i am sure they would be willing to do.

Personally, I think over the long run D4 would be a better product if they made it an 80 team league rather than the current 64. 64 is too small of a pool. However to get to 80, you'd have to add all of the current AAC plus eight more, right?

Who would that eight be; seems difficult to find eight and you have to figure the service academies are officially out;
strong candidates:
BYU
Boise St
San Diego St
Hawaii
Eastern Carolina

weak candidates - all of whom are very weak - pick three!: Off the cuff, I'll go with Buffalo, UNLV or Nevada and Georgia St?
Buffalo
Tulane
Tulsa
Umass
UNLV
Nevada
Fresno St
Georgia St
Florida International
Florida Atlantic
etc etc

If the entire AAC is brought into the D4 fold, we can survive, maybe even thrive.

Reaction Score
The backchannel email from academics, who are notoriously absent over the summer, are funny this year. All sorts of committees gearing up to take it to the Presidents if they approve stipends. While cutting funding for TAs. The Presidents at schools with any semblance of self-respect are going to try to defend the indefensible. Losing big money AND paying out? For a non-essential activity?

Reactions: pj
U

UConn9604

Personally, I think over the long run D4 would be a better product if they made it an 80 team league rather than the current 64. 64 is too small of a pool. However to get to 80, you'd have to add all of the current AAC plus eight more, right?

Anyone who postulates that the Power 5 will move into a 5 x 16 = 80 league has to explain which four teams will join the Pac-12. It's a harder problem to solve than you might think.

Of course, if the Pac-12 stays at 12 and the others jump to 16, that's a 76 team Division and we're still strongly favored to be a part of it.

Then again, the Big Ten and the SEC are the ones who tell people what to do -- not the other way around. 16 will happen when they decide it will happen.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Anyone who postulates that the Power 5 will move into a 5 x 16 = 80 league has to explain which four teams will join the Pac-12. It's a harder problem to solve than you might think.

Oh, I think its all pretty hard....hence my post.

Reaction Score
If you go by the top 80 in attendance only, the PAC has Hawaii SDSU Fresno Boise and BYU to choose from.

I realize the other teams may not want to associate with some (all) of these schools, but maybe the new division will leave the academic charade behind and go with football mastering most.

Of course I doubt any conference is forced to expend except maybe the Big 12.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reaction Score

Exactly. To the consumers, we want 4 or 8 regionally based divisions that include rivals. We would like for the D4 to include 80 or so teams so everyone has a chance to compete for NC. And to the consumer it just makes too much sense that we forget to look at reality. It's not just about the P5 trying to split from the G5. Reality in college sports is that each conference and school is only looking out for what is best for itself. The B1G does not care any more about the ACC or B12 or SEC or Pac12 than it does the AAC or MWC or even DII and DIII schools. Therefore, the B1G and other conferences are not going to pick an arbitrary number of teams that each conference will have and then fill the league with teams that do not increase revenue or exposure or brand. I think it is much more likely that we continue on the current path (with or without D4) and P5 conferences will add teams such as Uconn, Cincy, USF, UCF, etc as the leagues look to expand.

Reaction Score
If the PAC had to expand, I would expect them to invite San Diego State (#28 largest US TV market; but very fickle sport fans), re-open the door for BYU (large brand name, likely competition from XII) and UNLV (#40 largest TV market [Louisville is #48, Hartford/New Haven is #30] that has no professional sports teams [and may never get one due to the gambling issue]). Thus, slot #4 would likely be between Hawaii (decent program, high travel expenses) Boise State (poor academics), Nevada, New Mexico, and Colorado State.

Reaction Score
Aside from a mandated Big 12 to 12 teams or ND full time to ACC, there is no good reason for any of the p5 to expand!! I'm hoping the ACC/Big 12 decisions will provide 3 open spots (for UConn/Cincy/BYU?) but I don't really see how going to 80 would benefit the p5/"division IV" financially.

Reaction Score
MH3@MH32h
Cincinnati has been very aggressive these past few days in trying to convince the B12 why they are a good fit.

Jared Kotler@JaredKotler2h
@MH3 UConn?

MH3@MH32h
@JaredKotler after BYU they are the most attractive school not in the big 5. Then Cincy

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda@TuxedoYoda22m
My source in Austin says there is a huge battle brewing over whether or not to include the service academies in the new cfb superleague.

Reaction Score
Aside from a mandated Big 12 to 12 teams or ND full time to ACC, there is no good reason for any of the p5 to expand!! I'm hoping the ACC/Big 12 decisions will provide 3 open spots (for UConn/Cincy/BYU?) but I don't really see how going to 80 would benefit the p5/"division IV" financially.
They would avoid a whole slew of defense expenses and head aches from the lawsuits that would challenge the exclusion of worthy members...but that is about it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'd rather stay in the AAC than go to the Big 12. We'd end up like WVU. Maybe not as fast, but it'll happen.

Reaction Score
I'd rather stay in the AAC than go to the Big 12. We'd end up like WVU. Maybe not as fast, but it'll happen.

Not. Wvu has played exactly one year, can we give em a little more time please. Also I'd rather play conference hoop games against Kansas and Texas than anyone in our league to be honest. Staying in the aac wiuldnt exactly cut down travel costs either.

Reaction Score

Regardless of our record, do you think our fan base would be more excited to face Cincy/UCF than Texas/Oklahoma??

I'll swallow the losses in Austin and Norman to get out of the AAC.... and the $20M pay raise makes it a no-brainer.

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda@TuxedoYoda22m
My source in Austin says there is a huge battle brewing over whether or not to include the service academies in the new cfb superleague.

Interesting. Kids about to be exposed to getting their tickets punched for their country not good enough for a shot at an NC. I wouldn't touch it if I were a P5 executive.
By the way, a stipend would not be an issue to the Academies, unless something has changed. I believe I remember Cadets getting paid at the enlisted grade of E -5 (Buck Sgt/Spec-5). That's what we got at Benning and I think I remember being told it was the same as the West Point guys. Of course, time and age move the mental furniture around in one's head.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom