Non-Key Tweets | Page 709 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
The worst football school (in recent years) on that list is Syracuse, whose worst average football attendance ever at the carrier dome (32,000) occurred recently. It was 4,000 fans more than we averaged last year. It's just one metric, but illustrative of the gap in actual football value and success between us and those schools.

Talk about revisionist history. Both Pitt and Syracuse had been weak for years before getting an ACC invite. It's been decades since Tony Dorsett and Jim Brown graced the field. If Pitt were in the AAC they would average 10,000 per game. Ever see any AAC fans travel? BC just played an away game at home against Clemson. I'm pretty sure FSU, Miami, Clemson, etc would sellout the Rent.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Talk about revisionist history. Both Pitt and Syracuse had been weak for years before getting an ACC invite. It's been decades since Tony Dorsett and Jim Brown graced the field. If Pitt were in the AAC they would average 10,000 per game. Ever see any AAC fans travel? BC just played an away game at home against Clemson. I'm pretty sure FSU, Miami, Clemson, etc would sellout the Rent.
How long of a time frame is the period of years you are referring to? During our time together with them in the Big East (which basically covered the entirety of our participation in football at the highest level) I'm not sure there was much difference between Pitt's weak performance and our performance. Add to this beyond the eight players they already have placed in Canton, there are two current NFL players (Larry Fitzgerald & Darrelle Revis) who will end up in the Hall of Fame. What post career accolades will any UConn player receive?

Syracuse spent nearly the entirety of the 1990's ranked (despite having PP running the show for a lot of that decade) while we were still trying to be competitive against better D-1AA schools (we made all of one playoff appearance in our history). Yes, they were terrible when we were in the BE with them but there were only a few years (out of nine) where we were clearly better than them and it is difficult to argue that we have been better since they left.

One thing that angers fans of other schools is those fans of UConn who believe that just because we decided to finally try to participate at a high level in football, we should be treated as if we've been in the trenches for as long as chools who have done this for a century. There are a ton of schools who we look down our noses at that have een doing this far longer than we have and in reality have done better than we have, often with more disadvantages than we face. Some of our fans need to get over themselves and realize that we can't claim "they are AAC opponents" as an excuse for our attendance. There are a number of schools who have spent decades being dealt a hand similar to what we now face that are not complaining. What exactly have we done to warrant complaints?

Reaction Score
How long of a time frame is the period of years you are referring to? During our time together with them in the Big East (which basically covered the entirety of our participation in football at the highest level) I'm not sure there was much difference between Pitt's weak performance and our performance. Add to this beyond the eight players they already have placed in Canton, there are two current NFL players (Larry Fitzgerald & Darrelle Revis) who will end up in the Hall of Fame. What post career accolades will any UConn player receive?

Syracuse spent nearly the entirety of the 1990's ranked (despite having PP running the show for a lot of that decade) while we were still trying to be competitive against better D-1AA schools (we made all of one playoff appearance in our history). Yes, they were terrible when we were in the BE with them but there were only a few years (out of nine) where we were clearly better than them and it is difficult to argue that we have been better since they left.

One thing that angers fans of other schools is those fans of UConn who believe that just because we decided to finally try to participate at a high level in football, we should be treated as if we've been in the trenches for as long as chools who have done this for a century. There are a ton of schools who we look down our noses at that have een doing this far longer than we have and in reality have done better than we have, often with more disadvantages than we face. Some of our fans need to get over themselves and realize that we can't claim "they are AAC opponents" as an excuse for our attendance. There are a number of schools who have spent decades being dealt a hand similar to what we now face that are not complaining. What exactly have we done to warrant complaints?

I agree with you in so many ways....However, basketball means something in college sports. It means billions of of dollars. Basketball may not drive the bus but our basketball feats are so far beyond 95% of P5 schools that they warrant an auto pass to the big leagues. People that don't realize that are really selling the basketball programs short. We aren't asking to be P5 based only on football. We are asking in conjunction with our staggeringly good basketball teams. With awesome facilities, a good market and a young but overall decent football program, there is reason to feel entirely screwed over.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree with you in so many ways....However, basketball means something in college sports. It means billions of of dollars. Basketball may not drive the bus but our basketball feats are so far beyond 95% of P5 schools that they warrant an auto pass to the big leagues. People that don't realize that are really selling the basketball programs short. We aren't asking to be P5 based only on football. We are asking in conjunction with our staggeringly good basketball teams. With awesome facilities, a good market and a young but overall decent football program, there is reason to feel entirely screwed over.

Let us know when that 'auto-pass' comes in the mail. We must have been on vacation when it was stolen.

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda just posted "Congrats in advance to UofH, Cinci, UCF & USF."

I know this will get torn to shreds in a minute in terms of credibility, but just giving everyone the heads up.

Reaction Score

I know this will get torn to shreds in a minute in terms of credibility, but just giving everyone the heads up.
Doubt it.... but if so, TCU- USF annual Basketball games will have less in attendance than BC - Stony Brook.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

B12 school Presidents must've had one heckava productive evening meal to come to their decision on expansion... then the 4 schools selected and voted on... over their prime ribs, rolls, coffee, dessert, etc ( nah.... I don't think so )

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Reaction Score

I agree to an extent and have wondered if that is why uconn has been left out.

Attendance is not necessarily because of AAC. But, if you don't think that being in a G5 conference where the system dictates you can't compete on a level playing field or that you can't win a NC hurts, you're delusional.

I would challenge you to find any school that invested in a program to compete at the highest level only to have that pulled out. From what I know, there are three: uconn, cincy, and USF.

What are the schools you are thinking of, and did they compete at the BCS level?

Reaction Score
LMAO - He's not hearing, he's reading the BY and Jeff Jacobs article. Dope.

I 100% believe he's hearing it.

"Uconn to The Big 12 or antitrust lawsuits are coming. Type it now...."

hqdefault.jpg

"Shut up! You're not real!"

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 14
Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 20h20 hours ago
Just learned from my source that Bowlsby has informed presidents that the networks will be contacting him today for pre-meeting discussions

My source says ESPN will try to offer more money to not expand but is now believed presidents want to add 4 with pro rata

Says we could see a compromise and add 2 with pro rata and some extra $$ to not take 4.

Chappy ‏@itschappy 20h20 hours ago
@MH ver3 any truth to the rumor of a scheduling agreement with BYU if they don't get in?

@itschappy I have heard something similar because if B12 doesn't expand and still goes to 8 conf games would need BYU for SOS

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 10h10 hours ago
Bowlsby spoke with executives from both Fox and ESPN today.

Fox wants expansion. They want at least 2 and will gladly pay pro rata for 4.

ESPN wants no expansion from G5 and will pay to remove pro rata. Will pay $25m per year more to stay at 10. Plus CCG $$.

Fox will pay no additional money to remove the pro rata clause.

ESPN will pay the pro rata for adding 2 or 4 but they do not want to.

Offering a compromise of taking 2 at pro rata then paying an additional $20m to remove the clause in reworked deal.

Gee has spoken with 5 other school presidents who are in favor of adding 4 and getting maximum $$ and exposure

Reaction Score
And an "old friend" reappears...

Utini ‏@PromiscuousJawa 14h14 hours ago
Expansion by 2. Possibly 4. But definitely at least 2. Lots of other details in the $. <30% chance on GOR extension but very possible.

Utini ‏@PromiscuousJawa 13h13 hours ago
If they were to punt to December it's a definitive sign they're working on +4 or even +6 with GOR extension.

Utini ‏@PromiscuousJawa 2h2 hours ago
Holy. Way too early to be getting up. But today will be a long one!

MSMoose ‏@MSM00SE Oct 12
Did some fact checking on the recent Gee comments:

MSMoose ‏@MSM00SE Oct 12
"We still like Cincinnati" via text. "Others potential are less known/agreed on"

MSMoose ‏@MSM00SE Oct 12
70/30 for staying at 10 seems "high"

MSMoose ‏@MSM00SE Oct 12
I'm trying to beat the Oct 17 meetings with real info and will push a couple more people later this week. Twitter is still foreign to me

MSMoose ‏@MSM00SE Oct 12
I've been banned, reported, and muzzled within the first week. I must be Twittering correctly!

MSMoose ‏@MSM00SE Oct 12
Keep an eye on #Tulane and UC for big 12 expansion. Both would dent SEC and B1G quite a bit.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 8h8 hours ago
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-expansion-league-is-so-unpredictable-that-anything-could-happen-monday/… Tsk tsk Dennis. Oklahoma will be targeted by the Big 10....actually, it already is...

Tim Montemayor ‏@TheMontyShow Oct 15Scottsdale, AZ
Confirmed with another source this morning that #BYU & #Houston are the only two candidates viewed as viable for #BIGXII Expansion

Multiple sources say David Boren is not making the choice for #OU ...he has been "crippled" by indecision that's lessened OU's position

Boosters have stepped in trying to keep the #BIGXII together; flurry of proposals and phone calls is ongoing in effort to salvage conference

I do not put expansion at anything more than 30%. I asked today and was told it would be a miracle if it happens. #BIGXII

Major shift in #OU 's positioning on #BIGXII expansion ...they are now "earnestly participating in the process" instead of being "tone deaf"

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Just learned from my source that Bowlsby has informed presidents that the networks will be contacting him today for pre-meeting discussions

My source says ESPN will try to offer more money to not expand but is now believed presidents want to add 4 with pro rata

Says we could see a compromise and add 2 with pro rata and some extra $$ to not take 4.

Chappy ‏@itschappy 20h20 hours ago
@MH ver3 any truth to the rumor of a scheduling agreement with BYU if they don't get in?

@itschappy I have heard something similar because if B12 doesn't expand and still goes to 8 conf games would need BYU for SOS

Bowlsby spoke with executives from both Fox and ESPN today.

Fox wants expansion. They want at least 2 and will gladly pay pro rata for 4.

ESPN wants no expansion from G5 and will pay to remove pro rata. Will pay $25m per year more to stay at 10. Plus CCG $$.

Fox will pay no additional money to remove the pro rata clause.

ESPN will pay the pro rata for adding 2 or 4 but they do not want to.

Offering a compromise of taking 2 at pro rata then paying an additional $20m to remove the clause in reworked deal.

Gee has spoken with 5 other school presidents who are in favor of adding 4 and getting maximum $$ and exposure
Looks like he's covered every base here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom