Non-Key Tweets | Page 698 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Oh I agree, but there feels like a perfect storm building where the deepest of pockets all vie to prove who is the most desperate. Herman could be the beneficiary of this insanity.

Totally. It's going to be a seller's market.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Guys, a 6.2 local number is very good. A 2.2 local number is horrendous. I really hope there are some streaming ratings that have yet to be released that show UConn fans had a pulse on Thursday night.

Reaction Score
Thurs night NFL, Yanks-Sox Papi's last game @ Yankee Stadium and a football team that is awful to watch and everyone knows has < 0% chance to win or even stay within 3 TDs

No excuses, but the rankings reflect the product

Guys, a 6.2 local number is very good. A 2.2 local number is horrendous. I really hope there are some streaming ratings that have yet to be released that show UConn fans had a pulse on Thursday night.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Thurs night NFL, Yanks-Sox Papi's last game @ Yankee Stadium and a football team that is awful to watch and everyone knows has < 0% chance to win or even stay within 3 TDs

No excuses, but the rankings reflect the product

I know the excuses. Just putting things in perspective. We have no business getting after a Coogs fan for Houston's local number is my point...especially when their local is actually very good and ours is atrocious.

Reaction Score
I know the excuses. Just putting things in perspective. We have no business getting after a Coogs fan for Houston's local number is my point...especially when their local is actually very good and ours is atrocious.

But in fairness, UConn fans aren't claiming these ratings "knocked it out of the park." The numbers for Houston aren't atrocious, but they're nothing to be bragging about. Contrary to the Coug fan's suggestions, no networks and conferences are going to beat down Houston's door to lock them up with a 6.3 in-market, primetime game with no college football competition during the window.

Dooley

Reaction Score
But in fairness, UConn fans aren't claiming these ratings "knocked it out of the park." The numbers for Houston aren't atrocious, but they're nothing to be bragging about. Contrary to the Coug fan's suggestions, no networks and conferences are going to beat down Houston's door to lock them up with a 6.3 in-market, primetime game with no college football competition during the window.

It's also a bit hypocritical if we are allowed to use a Sox/Yanks baseball game and a NFL game if Houston fans aren't allowed to use Texas Tech vs Kansas conference game and the same NFL game that we can apparently use to explain our local number. And if our fans didn't watch because of the pre-game expectations of a blowout, UH fans are supposed to remain glued to their TVs once it was evident that we had no business being on the same field as them?

I do agree that a 6.3 is not "knocking it out of the park", per se. The OU/UH number knocked it out of the park. 6.3 is still VERY good but not park blasting. 2.2 is awful no matter how many excuses UConn fans can come up with for not tuning in.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It's also a bit hypocritical if we are allowed to use a Sox/Yanks baseball game and a NFL game if Houston fans aren't allowed to use Texas Tech vs Kansas conference game and the same NFL game that we can apparently use to explain our local number. And if our fans didn't watch because of the pre-game expectations of a blowout, UH fans are supposed to remain glued to their TVs once it was evident that we had no business being on the same field as them?

I do agree that a 6.3 is not "knocking it out of the park", per se. The OU/UH number knocked it out of the park. 6.3 is still VERY good but not park blasting. 2.2 is awful no matter how many excuses UConn fans can come up with for not tuning in.

Dooley, you are generally a pretty straightforward, smart guy, but your comparison of the TTU/Kansas game with the Sox/Yanks and Patriots games is a little absurd. TTU may be in Texas, but they are worlds apart from the greater Houston area. Were people watching the other games in Conneticutt? Probably.

You are correct that Houston football draws better in their respective local areas. They should as they are on year two of a remarkable run with a great coach while looking to join a conference dominated by more Texas schools. That being said, conferences wouldn't be looking to add UConn for football, and you would be crazy to think they were. There is a laundry list of reasons why a conference would want UConn, football ain't one of them.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Dooley, you are generally a pretty straightforward, smart guy, but your comparison of the TTU/Kansas game with the Sox/Yanks and Patriots games is a little absurd. TTU may be in Texas, but they are worlds apart from the greater Houston area. Were people watching the other games in Conneticutt? Probably.

You are correct that Houston football draws better in their respective local areas. They should as they are on year two of a remarkable run with a great coach while looking to join a conference dominated by more Texas schools. That being said, conferences wouldn't be looking to add UConn for football, and you would be crazy to think they were. There is a laundry list of reasons why a conference would want UConn, football ain't one of them.

Just to be clear, it wasn't a Patriots game on Thursday night. It was Dolphins/Bengals...which has the same appeal in CT as it does in Texas (not much).

I understand Sox/Yanks - I was flipping back and forth too. But is it worth a 2 point ratings drop (from a 4 local...which is considered solid)? I wouldn't think so. I could see Houston area sports fans approaching Thursday night the same way fans here were - flipping back and forth between UH/UConn and other choices.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, it wasn't a Patriots game on Thursday night. It was Dolphins/Bengals...which has the same appeal in CT as it does in Texas (not much).

I understand Sox/Yanks - I was flipping back and forth too. But is it worth a 2 point ratings drop (from a 4 local...which is considered solid)? I wouldn't think so. I could see Houston area sports fans approaching Thursday night the same way fans here were - flipping back and forth between UH/UConn and other choices.

You are correct, take the Patriots game out of it. That Sox/ Yanks game seems to be pretty important, though. Maybe enough for 2 point drop? They TTU/Kansas game is nothing in Houston, though.

Reaction Score
Suppose one is a casual UConn football fan living in CT. Not an alumnus nor boneyarder. You have a team that although could be 4-0 going into the game, but in fact was 2-2, with the 2 losses in a disgusting fashion. You were hyped up by the coach preseason for something special. You watch basically boring, hope we don't lose football, for the first four games. Your team is a four touchdown underdog, and it is a weekday night game. You may turn on the game and see the talent disparity and check it from time to time, but the casual fan will not be glued to the TV set watching the blowout. That is just the way it is. If UConn was Houston, then I am sure the ratings would be much higher. People watch winners, not losers.

Reaction Score
If UConn was in the top 10 I suspect the Ct numbers would be double digits
Thats the huge difference between UConn and Houston
The're a red headed step child in their own market were UConn actually owns a market

Until we face up to the lack of entertainment value offer by BD then we are doomed.
I watched the game from my desert abode and when he punted on 4th and 5 from the Houston 45 ,it might have been either the most cowardly play I ever saw in my 60h+years following college football or something the FBI should be investigating.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn got a 2.2 locally because we no longer have a fan base beyond the same 25k who come to Rentschler. I was in a packed bar at kickoff. Nobody else was even interested in glancing at the game.

If a meaningless baseball game can impact the number that negatively.... what is there to even say about that.

When you get 19k houses for a game - it sounds fairly stupid to keep saying UConn owns the market. ESPN probably gets that number here in primetime just showing random programming.

Reaction Score
UConn got a 2.2 locally because we no longer have a fan base beyond the same 25k who come to Rentschler. I was in a packed bar at kickoff. Nobody else was even interested in glancing at the game.

If a meaningless baseball game can impact the number that negatively.... what is there to even say about that.

When you get 19k houses for a game - it sounds fairly stupid to keep saying UConn owns the market. ESPN probably gets that number here in primetime just showing random programming.
It's a terribly boring product to watch.

I left a retirement party early to catch this game. I tuned in just in time to see Diaco punt from the 37. I knew then I had made a mistake.

This fan base is slowly dwindling because collectively it was in no mood for BS, after P. Yeah the regulars on this board see the improvements Diaco has made to the program but the less engaged see the same run, run, pass, punt. Hell you may even see run, run, run, punt.

Until the product on the field improves either via winning or entering the 21st century of offensive football interest is gonna continue to plummet.

We've seen what the rent looks like when the fan base is engaged, it can get back to that, and the local interest will be there also, but we are in a show me phase right now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a terribly boring product to watch.

I left a retirement party early to catch this game. I tuned in just in time to see Diaco punt from the 37. I knew then I had made a mistake.

This fan base is slowly dwindling because collectively it was in no mood for BS, after P. Yeah the regulars on this board see the improvements Diaco has made to the program but the less engaged see the same run, run, pass, punt. Hell you may even see run, run, run, punt.

Until the product on the field improves either via winning or entering the 21st century of offensive football interest is gonna continue to plummet.

We've seen what the rent looks like when the fan base is engaged, it can get back to that, and the local interest will be there also, but we are in a show me phase right now.

I wish you would all stop with the mythical run, run, pass, punt. They haven't done that since the first half of the Maine game.

UConn passed for 273 yards against UH. They ran for 62 yards (against a great run defense). UConn attempted 36 passes, and ran 27 times (including QB scrambles). Look at the stats. Connecticut vs. Houston - Team Statistics - September 29, 2016 - ESPN They threw on first down quite often.

The game was closer than the score suggests, mostly because UConn did move the ball, but stalled just across midfield several times. Meanwhile, our defense couldn't stop Houston in the red-zone or get any field goals. Ward was a machine, with two incredible runs for TDs, and a pass for a one handed grab. We couldn't stop them. That was the game, not our offense.

Yes, the punts were maddening. I didn't agree with those calls and BD needs to explain those decisions in a game where we trailed heavily.

Reaction Score
The game was close in the 1st Q, then Houston opened it up in the 2nd Q and the game was over. They could have put up 60+ if they get their foot on the gas.

I wish you would all stop with the mythical run, run, pass, punt. They haven't done that since the first half of the Maine game.

UConn passed for 273 yards against UH. They ran for 62 yards (against a great run defense). UConn attempted 36 passes, and ran 27 times (including QB scrambles). Look at the stats. Connecticut vs. Houston - Team Statistics - September 29, 2016 - ESPN They threw on first down quite often.

The game was closer than the score suggests, mostly because UConn did move the ball, but stalled just across midfield several times. Meanwhile, our defense couldn't stop Houston in the red-zone or get any field goals. Ward was a machine, with two incredible runs for TDs, and a pass for a one handed grab. We couldn't stop them. That was the game, not our offense.

Yes, the punts were maddening. I didn't agree with those calls and BD needs to explain those decisions in a game where we trailed heavily.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I watched the game until the 3rd quarter. At that point, the dismal play and my desire to sleep collided. Enter Sandman. I mention this only because I am a Nielsen household with their equipment tied to all of our TVs. No clue how many households I represent, but my TV was tuned in, although for bed time I probably changed it over to Cartoon Network for their late night Family Guy, Bob's Burgers, Cleveland Show lineup. To back up your point, I'n also one of the 25K who goes to The Rent, albeit begrudgingly lately.

Reaction Score
I think Ward's performance was as good as most any opponent player we have played. He was that good. My eye ,.. and not getting paid $2m like BD ... is that we have an abundance of playmakers; and they are underutilized. We saw Noel Thomas on a top level and Mayala is climbing; with little targets on the others.

I agree that what we have is the 20,000 core UCFB fanbase. Benedict is not going too far beyond that without (1.) winning games; and (2) far more entertaining gameplans. Filling Rentschler should be on this AD mindset ... and conveyed to Diaco as paramount. We aren't like many other FBS programs in our climb.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think Ward's performance was as good as most any opponent player we have played. He was that good. My eye ,.. and not getting paid $2m like BD ... is that we have an abundance of playmakers; and they are underutilized. We saw Noel Thomas on a top level and Mayala is climbing; with little targets on the others.

I agree that what we have is the 20,000 core UCFB fanbase. Benedict is not going too far beyond that without (1.) winning games; and (2) far more entertaining gameplans. Filling Rentschler should be on this AD mindset ... and conveyed to Diaco as paramount. We aren't like many other FBS programs in our climb.

Agree on Ward. He's a great QB.

On the "game-plan" I think it's execution of the plays, not the game plan. We threw 36 passes with 27 runs. Yes, most went to a couple of receivers. Who makes that decision? The coaches don't. I'm increasingly impressed with Verducci. I think Shirreff's is not managing the offense or executing it as designed. I think Diaco knows it and is trying to get him to run the offense as designed. He couldn't have been more clear in his comments about Ward. Even with that, we still see this comment.

Joseph Duarte@Joseph_Duarte 7 mins ago
Tom Herman says UConn “exposed” some things in UH pass defense that “we need to get fixed.”

Reaction Score
Agree on Ward. He's a great QB.

On the "game-plan" I think it's execution of the plays, not the game plan. We threw 36 passes with 27 runs. Yes, most went to a couple of receivers. Who makes that decision? The coaches don't. I'm increasingly impressed with Verducci. I think Shirreff's is not managing the offense or executing it as designed. I think Diaco knows it and is trying to get him to run the offense as designed. He couldn't have been more clear in his comments about Ward. Even with that, we still see this comment.

Joseph Duarte@Joseph_Duarte 7 mins ago
Tom Herman says UConn “exposed” some things in UH pass defense that “we need to get fixed.”
Well we did expose things in their pass defense. Thomas absolutely torched their secondary at least three times, BS airmailed two of the throws and the third was the short slant that he hit and Thomas outran everyone. Even Hergy got behind them a couple of times. If we have a QB who can throw a deep ball, we easily have at least 35 points in the game. UH's run defense and their game plan to spy BS was excellent, but their secondary was very subpar.

Reaction Score
We threw 36 passes with 27 runs. Yes, most went to a couple of receivers. Who makes that decision? The coaches don't. I'm increasingly impressed with Verducci. I think Shirreff's is not managing the offense or executing it as designed. I think Diaco knows it and is trying to get him to run the offense as designed.

If the implication is BS is calling his own number ahead of designed Verducci pass plays that is absolutely insane. The red zone plays at end of Navy and Syracuse games -- all but one runs up the middle -- would be some of the evidence.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well we did expose things in their pass defense. Thomas absolutely torched their secondary at least three times, BS airmailed two of the throws and the third was the short slant that he hit and Thomas outran everyone. Even Hergy got behind them a couple of times. If we have a QB who can throw a deep ball, we easily have at least 35 points in the game. UH's run defense and their game plan to spy BS was excellent, but their secondary was very subpar.

In other words, the offensive game plan was pretty darned good. Good enough to win? No, not on a night where our D bent then broke every single drive and couldn't even get a stop in the red zone. But competent QB play easily gets us two more TDs, minimum.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If the implication is BS is calling his own number ahead of designed Verducci pass plays that is absolutely insane. The red zone plays at end of Navy and Syracuse games -- all but one runs up the middle -- would be some of the evidence.

Verducci has confirmed it. That of his 20 or so runs a game, maybe 5 or 6 are plays with a run option. He is nervous in the pocket, and once flushed he doesn't try to keep the pass play alive and instead starts to run. He fails to see open receivers and rarely checks past his first option. Once he's moving, on the rare occasions where he throws, he's inaccurate. Diaco was sending a clear message to BS with his comments.

Reaction Score
In other words, the offensive game plan was pretty darned good. Good enough to win? No, not on a night where our D bent then broke every single drive and couldn't even get a stop in the red zone. But competent QB play easily gets us two more TDs, minimum.
Absolutely, 100% agree. Verducci/Diaco certainly deserve some level of blame for some bad decisions over the first four games, but they are absolutely limited by BS's inability to throw a deep ball.

'

The implication isn't that BS is telling Verducci to screw off and calling his own plays in the huddle, the implication is too often BS drops back, immediately checks down one receiver, blows up the play and runs. His 1patience in the pocket has been very poor at times and it's lead to what looks like a lot of designed QB runs that in fact aren't designed. Verducci confirmed this after (I think) the Navy game. Of course the playcalling at the end of the Navy game and in the 4th quarter of the Syracuse game fall entirely on Verducci/Diaco's shoulders, but to absolve BS for the lack of offensive production is entirely wrong.

Reaction Score
Verducci has confirmed it. That of his 20 or so runs a game, maybe 5 or 6 are plays with a run option. He is nervous in the pocket, and once flushed he doesn't try to keep the pass play alive and instead starts to run. He fails to see open receivers and rarely checks past his first option. Once he's moving, on the rare occasions where he throws, he's inaccurate. Diaco was sending a clear message to BS with his comments.

OK, enough's enough. Here is the full Navy game tape. UConn's final drive starts at 2:01:3 mark. Look at all the plays in that drive (including the final one where your man Verducci took the ball out of the players' hands) and get back to me on all Shirreffs' inadequacies. On the road, 100-plus degrees. . . .as has been conceded Shirreffs doesn't have a 'monster' arm. But this sequence is why I'm sticking with this guy. BTW there was one on the run throw in this drive. Given the conditions pretty freaking gutty IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom