Non-Key Tweets | Page 601 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You seem to have it all figured out. So what happens the next month/couple of months in realignment and what happens longterm?

Well you are welcome to go back and read the posts. Good luck finding anyone who has gotten more right than I have.

Even Waylon will tell you I'm the about the only one who understood the ACC wasn't going anywhere and was never in any danger.

The Big 12 will go one of two ways:

More likely they back down on expansion in exchange for an increase on this deal.

They might choose to play it halfway and add two schools - getting their increase by withholding most of the money from those two schools. I'd venture those two schools are Houston and Cincinnati - with BYU having a shot to displace them.

As stupid as they are I don't see them committing the long-term suicide of adding four teams - fighting the pro-rata in the courts and hoping new bidders arrive by the time their deal ends.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"Hundreds of schools who could put together a good basketball team if they focused on it." Bwahahahaha.

Have you never noticed that very few schools are good at both basketball and football? Have you ever stopped to wonder why?

Also I said a hundred - not hundreds.

Reaction Score
The next additions for the Big10, if there are any, will be national brands. They need to prepare for skinny bundles and streaming. The days of Rutgers being added for cable boxes are long over with.

BTW - There are those within the Big10 that question the longevity of football. It's not the prevailing thought, but it's there. Schools like UConn will become a higher priority then.

I never said Oklahoma to B1G. Pac12, SEC and even ACC are possibilities.

Reaction Score
Well you are welcome to go back and read the posts. Good luck finding anyone who has gotten more right than I have.

Even Waylon will tell you I'm the about the only one who understood the ACC wasn't going anywhere and was never in any danger.

The Big 12 will go one of two ways:

More likely they back down on expansion in exchange for an increase on this deal.

They might choose to play it halfway and add two schools - getting their increase by withholding most of the money from those two schools. I'd venture those two schools are Houston and Cincinnati - with BYU having a shot to displace them.

As stupid as they are I don't see them committing the long-term suicide of adding four teams - fighting the pro-rata in the courts and hoping new bidders arrive by the time their deal ends.

That's a bad bet. If they come out of this having added half of Cincy as a market, they will be even bigger laughingstocks. They need to come away with one of BYU or UConn. Maybe UCF.

Reaction Score
For the love of God.

When they added Nebraska the bar to raise the revenues for the rest of the league was much lower.

When the per team rake goes up 20 million over 5 years - the amount any new schools need to generate to keep the current schools whole is a huge number than a school like Oklahoma can't reach.

If you want to put a school in a league you need to show the math that makes it worth the other schools already in the league.

This is why Rutgers and Maryland are in the Big Ten. Because the math shows how everyone else has higher revenues after adding them.

Wow, you are smarter than Delany...

Like Delany didn't know we'd be here now.

Get out.

On the B1G boards, people talked about these numbers ages ago. It was said inside the B1G offices THEN that they were going to $50m. You act like they're surprised. Get a clue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's a bad bet. If they come out of this having added half of Cincy as a market, they will be even bigger laughingstocks. They need to come away with one of BYU or UConn. Maybe UCF.

If you haven't realized the Big 12 doesn't value what you and other posters think is valuable I don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
Have you never noticed that very few schools are good at both basketball and football? Have you ever stopped to wonder why?

Also I said a hundred - not hundreds.
Sorry I misread hundred, it's late. You ever notice it's almost always the same schools historically who are good at football or basketball. It takes a lot more than just saying we're gonna be a good program and dumping a lot of money into it. There are a bunch of schools that have been dumping a ton of money into these programs without much success on the actual court.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wow, you are smarter than Delany...

Like Delany didn't know we'd be here now.

Get out.

On the B1G boards, people talked about these numbers ages ago. It was said inside the B1G offices THEN that they were going to $50m. You act like they're surprised. Get a clue.

The idea that you have a clue and I don't is quite possibly the dumbest thing you've ever posted and that's quite a hurdle.

Are you going to share the math on getting Oklahoma into another league or are you just going to keep showing a complete lack of intellegence in every post?

Maybe mix in some reading comprehension when you get the chance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sorry I misread hundred, it's late. You ever notice it's almost always the same schools historically who are good at football or basketball. It takes a lot more than just saying we're gonna be a good program and dumping a lot of money into it. There are a bunch of schools that have been dumping a ton of money into these programs without much success on the actual court.

The hypothetical was that college football went away.... seriously you don't think that would alter the basketball landscape? Schools moving their focus from football to basketball?

Schools like Florida, Michigan, Ohio State..... all the athletes in the south and west who were playing football now playing basketball wouldn't benefit LSU, Florida State, Texas...

I mean come on.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

What you're saying makes as much sense as anything. One thing that gives me a glimmer of hope is that the guy who wrote the ESPN and Fox are pissed article also had a lot of positive things to say about UConn. If the Big 12 chooses to play it halfway then they might also decide to add the two schools the networks would hate the least BYU and UConn.

One scenario I do see the Big 12 going to 14 is if they look at the long term outlook and say ESPN and Fox might not have the money to give anyone much in 2024 but they have the money now so take it while it's there. There's no telling what market factors will be like then or even if tell same actors will even be around. Contractually obligated money in hand right now maybe a lot more tempting than playing nice with ESPN and Fox and maybe hoping they possibly remember how they didn't expand. ESPN hasn't exactly shown a ton of loyalty to business partners in the past. (Old Big East, AAC, UConn...) I'm sure ESPN would say it was just business... but then again it would be "just business" if the Big 12 took everything from ESPN and Fox they could too.

I know full well neither scenario is terribly likely but at this point in time who the hell knows what the Big 12 is thinking.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What you're saying makes as much sense as anything. One thing that gives me a glimmer of hope is that the guy who wrote the ESPN and Fox are pissed article also had a lot of positive things to say about UConn. If the Big 12 chooses to play it halfway then they might also decide to add the two schools the networks would hate the least BYU and UConn.

One scenario I do see the Big 12 going to 14 is if they look at the long term outlook and say ESPN and Fox might not have the money to give anyone much in 2024 but they have the money now so take it while it's there. There's no telling what market factors will be like then or even if tell same actors will even be around. Contractually obligated money in hand right now maybe a lot more tempting than playing nice with ESPN and Fox and maybe hoping they possibly remember how they didn't expand. ESPN hasn't exactly shown a ton of loyalty to business partners in the past. (Old Big East, AAC, UConn...) I'm sure ESPN would say it was just business... but then again it would be "just business" if the Big 12 took everything from ESPN and Fox they could too.

I know full well neither scenario is terribly likely but at this point in time who the hell knows what the Big 12 is thinking.

If they really have the contractual hammer and use it to add 4 schools they are taking a huge risk.

When their deal runs out:

Unless someone builds a better mousetrap there will downward pressure in the market.

They will have 4 more mouths to feed.

The two whales will spend the rest of the contract setting them up for less next go round.

That's a big leap to ask people who have a fiduciary responsibility to their schools to make.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

you had me, until the "courts" bit. What standing would the B12 TV partners have in fighting something in a contract they signed willingly?

Totally agree with you on poisoning the water for the next negotiations - with one wrinkle. Texas can be a complete free agent in this - they can literally piss EVERYONE off, should they choose. They can harpoon expansion by insisting on Houston, which will anger pretty much everyone but Texas. They can force Houston as 14, which will piss off TV. They have all of the cards.

Reaction Score
The idea that you have a clue and I don't is quite possibly the dumbest thing you've ever posted and that's quite a hurdle.

Are you going to share the math on getting Oklahoma into another league or are you just going to keep showing a complete lack of intellegence in every post?

Maybe mix in some reading comprehension when you get the chance.

The dumbest thing ever is the idea that Oklahoma cant get into another conference. They clearly know they have invitations. But continue on in idiocy.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They say everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. We may have reached that point.

UT had its little plan for domination and new Houston campus, OU and the non-Texas school had a plan to dilute UT's influence, some enterprising, university staffer thought he could extort another $80 from it's media partners.

Well, now daddy is home. ESPN isn't going to be too wild about paying $20M a year each for UCONN and UC when the already own those 2 plus 10 others for 10 cents on the dollar. Fox isn't going to pony up the extra money only to see the league break apart in 6 years.

Neither is going to pay them B1G or SEC money. UT doesn't want to extend a GOR.

Whatever we think we know could have just gone down the tubes. That could be good or bad depending where you think you were previously.

The truly important people will get in a room and decided this. That decision may look nothing like what informed people knew at the time they knew it.

The question is now, what does TV want and can the B12 deliver it. Otherwise, the B12 will grab the available cash and implode.

Reaction Score
If they really have the contractual hammer and use it to add 4 schools they are taking a huge risk.

Unless someone builds a better mousetrap there will downward pressure in the market.

The two whales will spend the rest of the contract setting them up for less next go round.

That's a big leap to ask people who have a fiduciary responsibility to their schools to make.
Except the Big 12 just watched ESPN give the ACC network a network deal NO ONE saw coming, and no one could argue ESPN had to give them. Hard to expect the big 12 to now take one for the team here. Perhaps for a sizeable raise the big 12 agrees to not expand, but if days after you're told there is no appetite for a conference network you watch them give a competitor a CN, for rights they already owned, we'll hard to not feel you're being played.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Except the Big 12 just watched ESPN give the ACC network a network deal NO ONE saw coming, and no one could argue ESPN had to give them. Hard to expect the big 12 to now take one for the team here. Perhaps for a sizeable raise the big 12 agrees to not expand, but if days after you're told there is no appetite for a conference network you watch them give a competitor a CN, for rights they already owned, we'll hard to not feel you're being played.

It's not taking one for the team - it's trying to balance the near term
with the long term. You can't make decisions based on the emotions of what they gave the ACC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The dumbest thing ever is the idea that Oklahoma cant get into another conference. They clearly know they have invitations. But continue on in idiocy.

Again show your math - show the evidence of the invites or pipe down about it - because their actions show the exact opposite to be the case.

This is the kind of nonsense that people spew with no evidence or business case behind it.

Reaction Score
OU would be welcomed to any conference with open arms probably with a lot of wining and dining also to court them

Oklahoma I think prefers to try to keep the big xii alive and well but not sure how long that will last. They also have to look out for ok st

Reaction Score
OU would be welcomed to any conference with open arms probably with a lot of wining and dining also to court them

I suspect that this is true as OK is a national brand with a significant local following, but I have to admit I don't have any evidence to support my instinct on this. It's been made pretty clear, though, in multiple places, that OK will never be able to separate themselves from OK St., a school that nobody cares about.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Again show your math - show the evidence of the invites or pipe down about it - because their actions show the exact opposite to be the case.

This is the kind of nonsense that people spew with no evidence or business case behind it.
I've read the series of posts you've made since last night and you've gotten too full of yourself. You need to pump the brakes a bit on blowing your own horn. Not too long ago you were sure to the point of shouting posters down about the ACC never getting a network.

You don't know everything.

Show some damn restraint.

Reaction Score

There is going to be downward pressure in the market in any event. They may be looking to make whatever they can now, knowing that there will be significantly less water in the trough the next time they come around to drink.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
There is going to be downward pressure in the market in any event. They may be looking to make whatever they can now, knowing that there will be significantly less water in the trough the next time they come around to drink.

Bingo. Even the "winners" in this round have to know the gig is up soon enough. If you're not UT, OU, and maybe Kansas in the B12, you would be crazy to not take your $$$ up front now, because there is a bullseye on you come next decade.

Reaction Score
you had me, until the "courts" bit. What standing would the B12 TV partners have in fighting something in a contract they signed willingly?

If ESPN doesn't pay, the Big 12 has to use the courts to get the $$. While the networks, if they don't pony up, run some risks of being assessed treble damages and attorneys' fees under state unfair trade practices statutes, that risk is pretty low. It's always better to be the party with the $$ than the one trying to chase it.

Reaction Score

Evidence: B12 makes more than Pac12

AND, beyond that, you've got no evidence at all. You're just a hypocrite asking for something you yourself can't provide. Your idiocy is all over this thread, and has been for a very long time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom