Non-Key Tweets | Page 547 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I'm in the same boat, but hoping for a little more time. Question is will we be too feeble to enjoy it when the day comes?

Buddy, I'm in the same boat. However, it has been said that everything is enjoyable when you're feeble. Ignorance is bliss... Frankly, I think there is quite a roster of posters on this board that have crossed over.

Reaction Score
Ok maybe I am being a pure UConn homer but yesterday was not the end of the road.

Was it good for UConn that there is no BIG12 networking coming? Definitely no.

Was it good that Boren indicated at least part of any future selection criteria will be teams who Big12 fan bases want to see their school play? Probably not as this indicates expansion could be partly driven by a non-metric, geographical focused, football-centric popularity vote.

All that said, there is still money to be made in expansion for the Big12 and there is a lot more money to be made by taking G5 teams. It does not seem likely ACC schools would leave for the Big12 but even if they did FSU/Clemson are not taking "a haircut." In essence a lot of the potential money which could be made by the Big12 teams through expansion is in the form of extorting and withholding money from incoming members. Other P5 programs aren't going to agree to that...G5 program will take a half share with a smile.

If yesterday showed anything it is that neither UT nor Oklahoma seems fully committed long term to the Big12. Any Big12 program other than UT or OU should look at expansion as insurance in the event UT/OU bolt. Sure the Big12 may get the same expansion money for Appalachian State as they do for UConn but who is better situated to help the conference survive if UT/OU leave? UConn chances may have dropped some but I still think UConn helps the Big12's long term survival chances more than the competition.

Trying to make sense of the Big12 is like trying to mold a statute out of pudding. I suppose there is not really a Big12...there is UT and what UT lets the rest of the Big12 do....I am becoming more convinced UT is more interested in publicly imposing its will than it is in helping the Big12. Expansion will be an interesting test on what UT will allow.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Now that B12 dream is over it is now time to dream that a very good ND team "without a 13th data point" gets left out of the playoff and they join the ACC with us as 16. None of our current realignment rivals bring much to the ACC.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Now that B12 dream is over it is now time to dream that a very good ND team "without a 13th data point" gets left out of the playoff and they join the ACC with us as 16. None of our current realignment rivals bring much to the ACC.
Well here's Tim Brando saying that Notre Dame will join the ACC in 3 years and the ACCN will eventually get off the ground. A Duke blog (yuck) thinks that means Texas will also be on the table for the ACC when the B12 implodes - I guess because ND has a TV deal and Texas has a network... underpants? Anyway, there's that nut-punch to look forward to.

Reaction Score
I think ESPN is trying to hold back a network to protect the ACC. Just a gut feeling that doesn't even rise to non-key anything. Further consolidation will marginalize the sport longer term but in some crazy way I think they feel it gives them more control (over a shrinking pie). And I'd love to see the report they decided to send back and the new criteria that's been suggested to massage the metrics.

Reaction Score
So sensitive.

The Big 12 not expanding is a good thing for UConn. That many don't understand it doesn't make it less true.
I wouldn't call it "good" it's more neutral. It's bad in that we don't get into a P5 conference, but it's good that the AAC isn't weakened to a point of unsustainability. As it stands, the AAC is a place that we can tread water for a few more years in hopes of landing a P5 spot. The AAC minus some combination of one or two of UC, UH, Memphis, UCF would become immediately unsustainable for both football and basketball and would force us to seriously look at moving programs other places.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it "good" it's more neutral. It's bad in that we don't get into a P5 conference, but it's good that the AAC isn't weakened to a point of unsustainability. As it stands, the AAC is a place that we can tread water for a few more years in hopes of landing a P5 spot. The AAC minus some combination of one or two of UC, UH, Memphis, UCF would become immediately unsustainable for both football and basketball and would force us to seriously look at moving programs other places.

It's the best possible outcome right now. There was never going to be a network and without a network it was never going to happen. So maybe 'good' isn't the right world but it's better than the alternatives.

Reaction Score
It's the best possible outcome right now. There was never going to be a network and without a network it was never going to happen. So maybe 'good' isn't the right world but it's better than the alternatives.
Fair enough, agreed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Going to 14 doesn't keep them from recruiting better schools in the future (such as FSU and Clemson).

Of course it limits their ability to grow in the future.

Every school you invite that won't raise your per school rake on the open market will damage your ability to compete to attract schools from other leagues.

If you invite 4 schools now - they will have to be worth over a hundred million a year in the next negotiation to even keep the league whole.

I think it's safe to say there aren't 4 G5 schools that will add $100+ million to a TV deal in the mid 2020s.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is a mess - but I think they landed on the right answer for them for now. There is no reason to rush into anything.

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 11h11 hours ago
Been away for a bit. Very positive sign that they all agreed on CCG. Don't think it will be with just 10 teams for long.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 6h6 hours ago
Again for what it's worth, I told you the championship game discussions were very productive.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 6h6 hours ago
I was surprised they voted on it at the meeting. My source said that making that vote and the walk on vote was the only way to appease OU

C.L.H. ‏@calluke1 5h5 hours ago
@MH ver3 what about expansion with Uconn and Cincy?! I think you told us that too...

MH ver3 ‏@MH v er3 5h5 hours ago
@calluke1 I had maintained no decisions would be made at the June meetings. I have always said it was a data dump

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 5h5 hours ago
@calluke1 final decisions will be made by end of summer

Thoughts of esuortS ‏@bstrouse 4h4 hours ago
@calluke1 @MH ver3 so what are you hearing about those decisions? UConn out now that a network might be dead?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 3h3 hours ago
@bstrouse @calluke1 no. Uconn is a large state school with great academics and a hug alumni and following. Markets still matter

Storrs South ‏@UConn6thBorough 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 @bstrouse @calluke1 I love you

Matt Necci ‏@MattNecci 2h2 hours ago
@UConn6thBorough @MH ver3 @bstrouse @calluke1 UConn also owns a state of millions that will pay for streaming - not competing for eyeballs

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
@UConn6thBorough @bstrouse @calluke1 just speaking the truth. Also network not dead just have to work around LHN.

Also just want to point out I was right again about our revenue being a solid 3rd in the P5. We distributed more per school than ACC and Pac

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 1h1 hour ago
@MHver3 it's not about now. It's 2 years from now. 10 years from now. That's the problem with the B12. It thinks like oil money. Short term

B12 can also put the screws to B10 by expanding and lessening the amount of $ fox and ESPN can pay B10. #ProRatasAbitch

@MH ver3 no they can't. One has nothing to do with the other. The B12 has zero negotiating power if they want a future contract

@MH ver3 #DontBiteTheHandThatFeedsYou

Lou Ciaccia ‏@louciaccia 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 Unknown. ACC numbers won't be out for a year. Did not distribute more than ACC in 2014-15. ACC numbers come out a year later.

@louciaccia 14-15 was a fluke. No B12 in CFP. ACC will come in around 26-28 mil next year.

@MH ver3 I think it's possible/likely they flip like I said. But we won't know for a year. Hate the ACC does that

@louciaccia ACC does have benefit of a lot of NCAA bball credits

@MH ver3 the revenue difference is negligible between PAC, ACC, B12. All about keeping up with B1G, SEC

@louciaccia I'll give you that too...for now.

@MH ver3 It is what it is. I think B12 goes up by $1-2M in 15/16, like I said

Matthew D Carlson ‏@mcgoblue 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 fox already has a contract with the BIG10. ESPN does not.

@mcgoblue yes but fox will be bidding on the second half too

Last thing tonight: B12 wouldn't be trying to reduce conf games to 8 if they weren't pretty damn sure they are going to expand. Goodnight

ME: This is how spin works. Find a way to make the desperate find hope again when one avenue of "hope" goes kaput.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 2h2 hours ago
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15995670/university-central-florida-makes-case-join-big-12… UCF comparing themselves with Cincy & Hartford in letter to B12 is no surprise. UC/UCONN were the favorites.

Greg Flugaur Retweeted Greg Flugaur

https://mobile.twitter.com/flugempire/status/739931920008683520… UCF were not going to punch down (Memphis-USF) they made a deliberate attempt to compare favorably to the Favs.

As more of the story is put out there...it will become obvious pecking order on traditional B12N was UCONN/UC and everybody else next.

But numbers on cord cutting since January made numbers in investing in new traditional Conf Network unacceptable to potential sugar daddies.

So yes...Houston and BYU are significant players going forward in Big 12 expansion.

I don't think Big Ten does any expansion until after it finishes their new 6 year contract (2023)

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15995670/university-central-florida-makes-case-join-big-12… UCF comparing themselves with Cincy & Hartford in letter to B12 is no surprise. UC/UCONN were the favorites.

Greg Flugaur Retweeted Greg Flugaur

https://mobile.twitter.com/flugempire/status/739931920008683520… UCF were not going to punch down (Memphis-USF) they made a deliberate attempt to compare favorably to the Favs.

As more of the story is put out there...it will become obvious pecking order on traditional B12N was UCONN/UC and everybody else next.

But numbers on cord cutting since January made numbers in investing in new traditional Conf Network unacceptable to potential sugar daddies.

So yes...Houston and BYU are significant players going forward in Big 12 expansion.

I don't think Big Ten does any expansion until after it finishes their new 6 year contract (2023)
Taking Houston and/or BYU would be a total gut punch to WVU.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Taking Houston and/or BYU would be a total gut punch to WVU.

I wonder if the WVU contingent realizes that the Big 12 doesn't want them, or at least a fair chunk of it. I think there is an old timer contingent in the Big 12 that is nostalgic for regional conference play, and wishes they didn't have to travel east of Iowa.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the WVU contingent realizes that the Big 12 doesn't want them, or at least a fair chunk of it. I think there is an old timer contingent in the Big 12 that is nostalgic for regional conference play, and wishes they didn't have to travel east of Iowa.

Why would WVU care?

Reaction Score
It's really in my opinion a definitive sign that OU( and likely Texas because they will not get another LN deal) are out of there once the GOR expires. Ie. no hope for a b12 network, so no need to expand markets, etc. They are just filing out to 12 for the short run, closer the better

Reaction Score
Wally Stenson ‏@Wallygoblue · 51m51 minutes ago  Southgate, MI
@Bluevodreal any news on expansion?

Bluevod‏@Bluevodreal
@Wallygoblue lots of movement but they trying to keep quiet. Told July 1 is deadline for decision on ACCN. Then look out

Reaction Score
Wally Stenson ‏@Wallygoblue · 51m51 minutes ago  Southgate, MI
@Bluevodreal any news on expansion?

Bluevod‏@Bluevodreal
@Wallygoblue lots of movement but they trying to keep quiet. Told July 1 is deadline for decision on ACCN. Then look out

This was the non-lawyer who never read the ACC GOR but continually tweeted that "FSU lawyers" were laughing at the GOR and ready to sue to get out of it.....the outcome already being certain.

Reaction Score
Bluevod is full of crap. Guy hasn't been right about a single thing and his posts make no sense. One day it's a deadline, the next it's a head fake, the next it's a precursor of something in a month....worthless.

Reaction Score
Bluevod had the news of satellite camps being brought back 24 hours before all of the national tweeters
He also apparently had some Harbaugh stuff right when he came back to Michigan.
That said I hope no one here is holding their breath

Reaction Score
Corneilus Green ‏@CGreen63 3h3 hours ago
@Bluevodreal Any news on the TV deal?

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 3h3 hours ago
@CGreen63 I believe deadline is July

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 24m24 minutes ago
So my source has given me the scoop on how WVU administration feels after the meetings.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 23m23 minutes ago
Expansion is very much alive. Network is not totally dead.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 22m22 minutes ago
Network could be worked out with ESPN via streaming and simulcasting some LHN content. Cable not likely unless we go for a ACC/B12 hybrid

Expansion criteria has TV market right up there near the top of list because research shows that to be one of the most valuable criteria

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 21m21 minutes ago
Larger the conference footprint the more potential viewers

BYU is still very much in play for all sports.

We will not consider any football only additions.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 20m20 minutes ago
We will only expand by two if we expand-even though 4 adds most value. Must leave spots open for future.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 20m20 minutes ago
It's a very real possibility we could land 2-4 P5 schools once GORs for other conferences expire.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 19m19 minutes ago
UT is not against expanding with G5. They just didn't want the proposed 4 schools because they have been having talks independently with P5

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 18m18 minutes ago
UC is the one that is almost a lock but Uconn/BYU will depend largely on what BYU/B12 can work out.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 18m18 minutes ago
UC has almost universal support from conference mates while BYU and Uconn are split.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 17m17 minutes ago
The Texas trio and Kansas are against Uconn while OU/OKST/Baylor/WVU are against BYU.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 16m16 minutes ago
The presidents really seemed to come together after battling through some arguments and scuffles.

WVU feels B12 as a whole is the strongest it's been since we joined.

Everyone is committed to making the conference their home and stronger.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 15m15 minutes ago
We have a real good shot at separating ourselves financially from ACC/P12 and closing the gap with Sec/B10

CCG will net us more $ with UT and OU in desperate divisions.

david_gibson ‏@BaylorFight 14m14 minutes agoWaco, TX
@MH ver3 How so?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 14m14 minutes ago
@BaylorFight offers a chance of a rematch. Could net us almost $40m per year to have them in separate div.

david_gibson ‏@BaylorFight 6m6 minutes agoWaco, TX
@MH ver3 Are you saying the conference would make more money if Texas and OU met in the title game than if other teams met in the title game?

WVU believes they will end up in a division with OU/OKST/Baylor/Kstate.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 11m11 minutes ago
UT makes more money off of TV than any other school in CFB and that wouldn't be the case in any other conf.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 9m9 minutes ago
A streaming B12N could add another 2+mil per year to everyone-UT as well. Specifics being ironed out.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 8m8 minutes ago
Streaming B12N would have some exclusive live sports without messing up current T3 deals. Fox and ESPN working somewhat together.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 6m6 minutes ago
I'll share more when I get it.

Howard Sprauge ‏@HSprauge 17m17 minutes ago
@MH ver3 // Do you think the b12 presidents promised WVU an eastern partner when/if expansion occurs?

@HSprauge we were promised no such thing but we're told it is very likely.

DocBunyan ‏@DocBunyan 15m15 minutes ago
@MH ver3 so ISU and KSU are playing go fish over in the corner?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 14m14 minutes ago
@DocBunyan no they were ok with either

Texas Cyclone! ‏@TXCyclones 11m11 minutes ago
@MH v er3 so I guess that puts ISU, TCU, TTU, UT and KU in the other division. Odd they'd bundle OU & OSU in same but no KU/KSU.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 10m10 minutes ago
@TXCyclones cross division play will be early season.

Texas Cyclone! ‏@TXCyclones 8m8 minutes ago
@MH ver3 so round-robin is dead? We still play everybody with 10 teams.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 8m8 minutes ago
@TXCyclones round robin alive for now. Researching 8 game schedule though.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 9m9 minutes ago
@TXCyclones another way to look at it is UT has the easiest path

TheFrogCast ‏@TheFrogCastTCU 7m7 minutes ago
@MH ver3 @TXCyclones I think you meant TCU :)

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 6m6 minutes ago
@TheFrogCastTCU @TXCyclones going by recent history YES

TheFrogCast ‏@TheFrogCastTCU 4m4 minutes ago
@MH ver3 I've seen those exact divisions in multiple locations and I am like: YES PLEASE

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 10m10 minutes ago
@TXCyclones I'm told it's to keep some rivalry games for late in the season.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Oh great, so there still is the potential for a major kick when they pick BYU and Cincy this fall.

So UNC and UVA to B1G in 2025, FSU and Clemson to B12 in 2025 and the ACC slims from 14 to 10, then adds Houston and Colorado State <-joke or Memphis <-another cruel joke, to get back to 12 where they rest (not counting ND). I guess we can hope ND spits on the idea of playing Houston, Colorado State or Memphis regularly.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 4h4 hours ago
Regarding FSU and the ACC GoR. Check Florida state code or ask the state AG if FSU could sign without tangible consideration.

I'm told FSU could not transfer state property (media rights) without fair market consideration.

Reportedly FSU isn't happy with the one time payment that's forthcoming or the $3M bump the ACC will receive from ACC Digital.

That's less than the Big 12 will earn from the return of their CCG.

hristopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 4h4 hours ago
Reportedly Swofford is attempting to throw another Hail Mary (pun intended) and lure ND in as a full member.

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV LOL. Nothing to offer.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
@NebGradDubDub ND likes warm weather.

@theDudeofWV I will stand by my opinion. ESPN is freaking out over NBC because they would also lose ND road games vs B10 teams.

delaware seminole ‏@delawarenole 22m22 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV B10 is a dying part of the country. Top talent is in South East and California. ACC + USC/ Stanford gives them access

Frederick Dietzmann ‏@FredDietzmann 11m11 minutes ago
@NebGradDubDub @theDudeofWV interesting, why now? and what could the acc offer notre dame?

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste 4h4 hours agoIrmo, SC
@theDudeofWV If ND wanted to join a conference all sports it would be the B1G

@Mountaineer_Ste I hear the opposite. There is a greater than 50% chance ND bites.

CCG will net us more $ with UT and OU in desperate divisions.

@MH ver3 not happening. Old B12 south revival. WV will be with KU, KSU, ISU, TCU. Enjoy.

@MH ver3 OU and UT get the big 12 south back and gobs of cash by forcing the 4 new members to have a "buy in" period. Nice move.

Dave Ackermann ‏@ack4wvu 1h1 hour ago
@NebGradDubDub @MH ver3 not unexpected as WVU and TCU had buy-in schedules; won't expand past 12 agreed MH

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 57m57 minutes ago
@ack4wvu @MH ver3 these buy in schedules are going to be enormous. 10 million max for each of the 4 new schools, IMO. rest of league gets $$$

@NebGradDubDub I forgot but didn't Nebraska have a buy in period as well??

₭ǁǐ₪τ ҉ ҎⱤⱡʢɆ ‏@OldSchoolBYU 1h1 hour ago
@MH ver3 *separate

@OldSchoolBYU autocorrect is funny

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
UT is not against expanding with G5. They just didn't want the proposed 4 schools because they have been having talks independently with P5

@MH ver3 have to add 4 schools to get the 1 billion. It's 4 or none

Dan Schwarzlander ‏@dschwarzlander 1h1 hour ago
@NebGradDubDub @MHver3 didn't know that. Ouch for #texas12.

MHver3 ‏@MHver3 25m25 minutes ago
@NebGradDubDub nope. 2 schools net almost half a billion with pro rata

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 32m32 minutes ago
@NebGradDubDub nope. 2 schools net almost half a billion with pro rata

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste 2h2 hours agoIrmo, SC
@MH ver3 Having independent talks is how TexA$$ screwed up FSU/Clemson before telling them ND was interested in joining full member.

MH ver3‏@MH ver3
It's a very real possibility we could land 2-4 P5 schools once GORs for other conferences expire.

@MHver3 its more likely the B12 loses 2 schools when GOR expires. Extremely likely

In other news an extension of the Big 12 GoR is being discussed. Texas and Oklahoma are agreeable.

Along with the extension of the GoR comes an extension of the TV deal and more money. It also means more exposure for the Big 12 on ABC/ESPN

But the Big 12 would have to agree to waive the pro rata increase currently in the contract for expansion.

You can see why Texas is for it... And why ESPN is for it.

The FSU/ACC GoR news is unrelated to Big 12 drama. FSU has zero interest in a Big 12 sans network.

I guess no network really means no P5 expansion for the Big 12.

OU SEC Pac Big10 ‏@OUSECPacBig10 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV rrr? On fox yep.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
@OUSECPacBig10 No. On ABC/ESPN.

Oh yeah-division names were bandied about. My favorite was Big5 and Power5

TigerBronco ‏@jay_256 40m40 minutes ago
@MH ver3 Gonna be hard calling a division anything 5 when it will have 6 or 7 per. #Justsaying

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 30m30 minutes ago
@jay_256 it will have 5 for starters.

TigerBronco ‏@jay_256 8m8 minutes ago
@MH ver3 That's just for now. Once they announce expansion in the next few weeks or so, it'll be 6 or 7. Depending on if they go to 12 or 14.

Baylor Bear ‏@AstroSaint 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 Wouldn't you like WV to be in same division as ISU?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 31m31 minutes ago
@AstroSaint no. We can keep our game last of the season this way

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom