Non-Key Tweets | Page 512 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In my opinion the first P5 to offer us a home is the best conference for us.

Hear that guys...operators are standing by.

Ultimately, it's this ^. If the PAC calls this afternoon then guess what? Our away games will start when some east coasters go to bed.

Reaction Score
I wasn't trying to be one, but recall dozens of posts on multiple board over many years saying "no partial memberships, ever".

What has changed, if the BYU thing is true? Does that mean Navy as a football only to the ACC now makes sense?

Yes. Brilliant. Exactly right. If one conference taking one or two schools as football only members makes sense, it means that all conferences taking any school as a football only must make sense as well.

Having said that, I don't think the old Big East (the real Big East) was harmed in the least by a football only member, and if adding Navy as a football program helped the ACC I don't see why not. But does Navy really have the ability to compete in the ACC in football year in and year out? And does its following -- which is not concentrated in Maryland -- help the ACC economically?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A real "Dear John" letter...

Jake_Trotter11:38am via TweetDeck
UC’s Big 12 lobbying continues. UC president Santa Ono sent this Feb. letter to Texas Tech president John Opperman
View attachment 13533

Who thinks Opperman was thinking, 'how the hell do I get this guy off the phone...'

"Well, yeah, Santa that sure is interesting info about Cincinnati. Hey tell you what can you just send all that information to me so I take a harder a look at it. Email it to me and call me back, you say? No, don't do that! Uh why, well what if one of our emails was hacked? No far better to send it by mail. FedEx? No we don't want to draw attention to it. Regular mail is fine. Heck good talking to you. I've got to go now...."

Reaction Score
I don't think the ACC is capable of acting quickly enough to move on UConn/Temple. The only thing that even gives it an ounce of credibility is the ACC has shown itself in the past to be very reactionary.

The ACC moved on Louisville when they thought the Big12 was going to take them. Perhaps UConn is the same but it seems a stretch that the ACC football powers would suddenly agree to traditional non-football power programs unless ESPN was directly mandating it for a network.

The more amusing thought is what would happen in the Big12 if UConn was taken by the ACC. My guess is suddenly the programs bashing UConn would become their biggest fans. I can just see Texas screaming they were all in for expansion but only because of UConn and with UConn unavailable expansion is no longer possible. Meanwhile Boren's head explodes after losing Louisville and now UConn due to the inability of the Big12 to decide anything.

The ACC taking UConn would likely further destabilize the relationships in the Big12 to the point they never recover. At that point the ACC is in play to try and poach Big12 teams in the future.

This may be fantasy but for the first time in a long time it is nice to feel like the sought after program UConn should be. Hopefully it is true....

Reaction Score
I don't think the ACC is capable of acting quickly enough to move on UConn/Temple.
How would we know if the ACC hasn't been making these decisions all along? If there's one thing Swofford is a master at, it's organizing moves without anyone in the media knowing about it.

Reaction Score
Living outside of Charlotte NC, UCONN to the ACC would be awesome for me. Wake, UNC, Duke, NCST, Clemson and VA Tech all within a 2.5 hour drive from me.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yes. Brilliant. Exactly right. If one conference taking one or two schools as football only members makes sense, it means that all conferences taking any school as a football only must make sense as well.

Having said that, I don't think the old Big East (the real Big East) was harmed in the least by a football only member, and if adding Navy as a football program helped the ACC I don't see why not. But does Navy really have the ability to compete in the ACC in football year in and year out? And does its following -- which is not concentrated in Maryland -- help the ACC economically?
Always remember, the important thing is it benefits ND by fulfilling its 5 ACC game pledge with a game it plays anyway. Any other ancillary benefits would be nice but unnecessary.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Paging Conspiracy Kitty:
Dooley plants rumors of UCONN to ACC to scare Big 12 into jumping at chance to grab UCONN and NY market before ACC wises up and takes us!!
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Hmmn. What is @Dooley 's first name?

Reaction Score
How would we know if the ACC hasn't been making these decisions all along? If there's one thing Swofford is a master at, it's organizing moves without anyone in the media knowing about it.

Don't get me wrong....I want to believe. But this type of strategic planning seems more BIG than ACC. Trust me I want to be wrong on this one....

That said, getting all the ACC presidents and ESPN together, agreeing on additions and a network all while keeping it completely quiet seems impossible. With all the pressure on Swofford to produce a network, it seems unlikely nothing would have leaked until right before the announcement. There is a lot of ACC School Presidents, ESPN employees, and ACC officials who would need to keep their mouths shut.

Certainly Cincinnati can't be a candidate or we'd be viewing their President's selfies with Swofford right now. No way Cincinnati President Ono stays quiet. I am pretty sure he is uploading his recent letters to some Big12 school as we type.

Reaction Score
Damn, just wanted to pop in here bc I just heard the UCONN/Temple > ACC rumor.

I always wanted KU & UCONN in the B1G eventually, but if this smoke ends up as fire, and you land ACC, I will be very happy for all my Boneyard Expansion friends. I know you all have been thru hell.

With all the new BXII rumblings, the new B1G TV deal, and these ACC rumors, I guess it's time for me to start paying attention to the interwebz insanity that is CR again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What bothers me from reading outsider accounts is that none of them see UConn as ever being good in football. UConn will thrive in a better league. Not so long ago, UConn beat Baylor in a home-and-home and now Baylor is a Big 12 standard bearer. The Rent would become the most hated place to play in the league.

Reaction Score
the ACC wouldn't be the ones scrambling - ESPN would be calling the shots regarding expansion if they finally give in and give the ACC their precious network. The ACC is desperate for it, they would take whoever ESPN told them to and I'm sure ESPN has doing the prep work and had a game plan for the day they lost the B1G.

AND NO I'M NOT SAYING THESE RUMORS ARE TRUE - just saying...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Rumors of UCONN to Big12 or the ACC gives hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

But, with ND only partially in with the ACC, I have serious concerns. ND will do what's best for ND! They have no allegience to any conference. Sorry ND posters, but I don't trust ND at all.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Who in the hell is Jim@aol? I'm excited for this rumor, don't get me wrong; I would LOVE to be back with a bunch of our old Big East rivals. I'm just wondering where this rumor came from.

Reaction Score
the ACC wouldn't be the ones scrambling - ESPN would be calling the shots regarding expansion if they finally give in and give the ACC their precious network. The ACC is desperate for it, they would take whoever ESPN told them to and I'm sure ESPN has doing the prep work and had a game plan for the day they lost the B1G.

AND NO I'M NOT SAYING THESE RUMORS ARE TRUE - just saying...

Viking totally agree with you that ESPN would be the prime catalyst for an UConn to the ACC move.

I think you are spot on the ACC would take whoever ESPN said to add if it meant a network. That said, Swofford would still need to pitch the idea to the ACC presidents, they would need to vote "yes" and all the schools would likely need to sign some type of new/extended GOR with ESPN (reasonable assumption?).

No disrespect to Temple but I think their addition would need some very strong financial justification for ACC Presidents to agree to them. That is not to say it is not there, only that the knee jerk reaction to Temple is not positive. I was over on the Va Tech Board and most posters thought UConn would be a positive add but that Temple was a disaster. I do not like to talk negative about other programs (except BC) and Temple may be a hidden network gem...just saying they would need to overcome an initial presumption of "hell no."

It is possible all the above could be done totally under the radar? One thing I do not doubt about Swofford and the ACC is the ability to smell blood in the water and attack when another conference shows weakness. The Big12 has been telegraphing its moves for a while and appears ripe for a divide. IMO the ACC is a much better counterpuncher than enacting a long term strategy. Is UConn a counterpunch?

I suppose "hope" always dies last...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Viking totally agree with you that ESPN would be the prime catalyst for an UConn to the ACC move.

I think you are spot on the ACC would take whoever ESPN said to add if it meant a network. That said, Swofford would still need to pitch the idea to the ACC presidents, they would need to vote "yes" and all the schools would likely need to sign some type of new/extended GOR with ESPN (reasonable assumption?).

No disrespect to Temple but I think their addition would need some very strong financial justification for ACC Presidents to agree to them. That is not to say it is not there, only that the knee jerk reaction to Temple is not positive. I was over on the Va Tech Board and most posters thought UConn would be a positive add but that Temple was a disaster. I do not like to talk negative about other programs (except BC) and Temple may be a hidden network gem...just saying they would need to overcome an initial presumption of "hell no."

It is possible all the above could be done totally under the radar? One thing I do not doubt about Swofford and the ACC is the ability to smell blood in the water and attack when another conference shows weakness. The Big12 has been telegraphing its moves for a while and appears ripe for a divide. IMO the ACC is a much better counterpuncher than enacting a long term strategy. Is UConn a counterpunch?

I suppose "hope" always dies last...

Going with a backwards looking analysis IF Temple were to get in....

Temple bridges the mid-Atlantic. Look on a map how Temple and UVA help mitigate losing the DC area TV sets and brings Eastern Pennsylvania and NJ sets in to play (not for Temple specifically, but for ACC alums in those regions). Plus, the ACC more than any other P5 conference knows how to integrate a small and city schools (Miami, Pitt, BCU, Syracuse, WFU, Ga Tech). Put UConn and Temple in the conference and Md/Rutty are again surrounded by Virginia, Pennsylvania, NY and New England.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Who in the hell is Jim@aol? I'm excited for this rumor, don't get me wrong; I would LOVE to be back with a bunch of our old Big East rivals. I'm just wondering where this rumor came from.
No idea, but the Debrafromfacebok account looks like a fake account some insider has set up to let out real news in advance. Let's hope that's what it actually is.

No disrespect to Temple but I think their addition would need some very strong financial justification for ACC Presidents to agree to them.
The ACC has no schools from Washington, D.C. to Boston - the most populous part of the nation. If they're starting a conference network (or if ESPN's somehow increasing inventory with an eye toward boxing out the B1G), they need to have a presence there. It's existential.

With that in mind, UConn and Temple are the best bets left. It's not that Temple is so great; it's that the ACC is finally not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good -- or "good enough."

They're in this position b/c they were playing checkers in 2009-12. Now they're playing... well, it's not chess. But it's something, at least.

PS - If Georgetown & Villanova ever went D-1 football, they'd get ACC invites in about 3 seconds. Same for Seton Hall & St. John's, and maybe even Fordham.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom