Non-Key Tweets | Page 338 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Why? Because you don't like hearing what I have to say? Because the truth is, if OU leaves the BigXII it could mean we're stuck in this crappy conference? I don't like it, but it's time to face the reality that we're not the center of the expansion universe.

While it might be true, your conclusion is not self-evident. And you have not attempted to share the analysis of your argument. Which begs the question - on what is your conclusion based? And you do not appear to get this as with each response you double down on the same foolish things. That is why people believe you are a troll, I think.

Reaction Score
It is only a reiteration of Frank the Tank's comment of some months ago....Frank's analysis wasn't much..other than Oklahoma is a massive football get and Kansas a basketball get.

I don't think we have a real clue what the B1G will do...they could, indeed, finish going east...or they could pick up Big 12 schools, or Notre Dame, or Virginia or VT...

OK, OK...I hear my inner voice, influenced by that great folk philosopher, Foghorn Leghorn...

"Stop, I say stop it boy. You're choppin' but no chips are flyin' "

Reaction Score
I am inclined to think that if the Big 12 gets poached, the P5 pool will remain as is at 65, which would be bad for UCONN. If the Big 12 expands, the P5 pool likely expands which would be good for UCONN. In terms of expansion talk, UCONN is clearly a valuable national brand.
I also think there are two motives for CR - expansion for the greedy money grab which already went down, and realignment for the long-term good of the conferences. I tend to believe that no current/granfathered P5 programs will be left behind. Although a Big 12 shakeup may not help UCONN, I want to see something, anything happen for the sake of hope.

Reaction Score
Conference realignment is like a black hole, there are so many options. If a black hole sucks all of these options in, I'd like a glimpse of what comes out on the other side.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted regarding the CCG vote, but it appears there will be a total of 15 votes. Who else but the Big 12 and ACC may possibly vote for championship deregulation?
"The vote will take place during the NCAA convention in San Antonio (Jan. 13 to Jan. 16). The 10 FBS leagues on the NCAA council will vote, although the Power Five leagues get two votes, while each other conference gets one."

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted regarding the CCG vote, but it appears there will be a total of 15 votes. Who else but the Big 12 and ACC may possibly vote for championship deregulation?
"The vote will take place during the NCAA convention in San Antonio (Jan. 13 to Jan. 16). The 10 FBS leagues on the NCAA council will vote, although the Power Five leagues get two votes, while each other conference gets one."

But what happens if the Big 12 plays its immunity idol? Shouldn't we split the votes?

Reaction Score
It's simple: OU looks to be on the move. They've signaled they're more interested in the B1G. If that happens, Kansas is going to go with them and not UConn. I don't have to like that to accept that reality. Our best hope is that the B1G takes two from the east as well and that we're one of them.

I think most hear believe that OU could be more valuable to the Big Ten than us. Where you leave logic is assuming that OU joining makes it evident that OU and Kansas is better than OU and us. Which you haven't even bothered to make a rational case for -- you just keep repeating it as if trolling more frequently makes your position more effective.

Reaction Score
I posted them in a different thread this summer...not going to look them up again.

So you don't know or don't remember. Either way its a critical part of your position and it's important to the conversation. I'll look it up for you.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think most hear believe that OU could be more valuable to the Big Ten than us. Where you leave logic is assuming that OU joining makes it evident that OU and Kansas is better than OU and us. Which you haven't even bothered to make a rational case for -- you just keep repeating it as if trolling more frequently makes your position more effective.

Let me preface my post by saying that I would rather have UConn over Kansas.

I follow sports, but am not a rabid basketball fan. I would rather watch a college football game than anything else. Out of the schools that have been thrown around and that I believe are attainable for the Big10, Oklahoma is my first choice with UConn being my second. I understand what UConn brings to the table, that's why I'm in the Huskies corner. The success of your bball team, the academic component, the access to NE hockey recruiting, MSG, all of it.

That being said, I can see the Kansas perspective as well. They are a traditional basket blueblood whose success has been spread out over a long period time. Many generations of college basketball fans recognize the Jayhawks. Paired with Oklahoma and Nebraska, they would comprise a good chunk of the Old Big 8, at least the main teams. Remember, many Big10 schools value tradition (when talking about Rutgers, they have touted they are the birthplace of college football, but then again, that may be the only thing they could say about Rutgers). Kansas has a very long and storied tradition. To top it off, I don't think Oklahoma comes to the Big10 without Kansas. I think Oklahoma is that big a of an addition that it would sway the balance to Kansas' side.

I also feel that the Big10 won't stop at 16. I think they go all the way to 20, and I think UConn, Oklahoma, and Kansas are the three prizes. Who the other three are I really don't know, but the days of adding schools for cable boxes is over. All three of UConn, Oklahoma, and Kansas can and will get national exposure. The next step? Who knows, maybe selecting schools that will put the Big10 in large or fast growing areas is that step?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So you don't know or don't remember. Either way its a critical part of your position and it's important to the conversation. I'll look it up for you.

I looked up the DMAs applicable to each school. But that doesn't tell the story entirely, despite CT having a little bit of an edge. For example, as bad as it is, KU football does better in its DMAs (KC, Wichita mostly) than UConn does. At the moment they are essentially the worst team in FBS, but KU won an Orange Bowl and had a #7 final ranking in 2008. They have more history, including players like Gayle Sayers, John Riggins, Nolan Cromwell. Those things matter to the B1G. They also have more history in basketball, probably as much as anyone including Kentucky, and are the second winning-est program all time behind Kentucky along with probably the greatest player ever in Wilt. They are currently AAU. They are geographically contiguous to Nebraska and Iowa.

I went to both schools (hence the name). I have no dog or hawk in this fight. I desperately want both schools to come out in a good place, preferably the B1G, although KU to B1G and UConn to ACC is fine with me too. I simply believe that if they are adding OU, the B1G will want to retain a contiguous footprint and will see KU as the most appropriate partner. By the way, I think that if they add say, Virginia Tech, UConn is the most logical partner. KU is, by most measures that matter to the B1G historically: AAU, contiguous, national brand, culture...possibly the single most Big Ten style school not already in the league, even more than Missouri.

Reaction Score

I also feel that the Big10 won't stop at 16. I think they go all the way to 20, and I think UConn, Oklahoma, and Kansas are the three prizes. Who the other three are I really don't know, but the days of adding schools for cable boxes is over. All three of UConn, Oklahoma, and Kansas can and will get national exposure. The next step? Who knows, maybe selecting schools that will put the Big10 in large or fast growing areas is that step?

I also believe the end game for the B1G is 20. They will get there by adding either A) XII members - Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas or B) ACC members - Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech (GA and NC do touch physically), and Florida St. That leaves 2 to 3 additional slots and hopefully UConn will be one of those.

pj

Reaction Score
I looked up the DMAs applicable to each school. But that doesn't tell the story entirely, despite CT having a little bit of an edge. For example, as bad as it is, KU football does better in its DMAs (KC, Wichita mostly) than UConn does. At the moment they are essentially the worst team in FBS, but KU won an Orange Bowl and had a #7 final ranking in 2008. They have more history, including players like Gayle Sayers, John Riggins, Nolan Cromwell. Those things matter to the B1G. They also have more history in basketball, probably as much as anyone including Kentucky, and are the second winning-est program all time behind Kentucky along with probably the greatest player ever in Wilt. They are currently AAU. They are geographically contiguous to Nebraska and Iowa.

I went to both schools (hence the name). I have no dog or hawk in this fight. I desperately want both schools to come out in a good place, preferably the B1G, although KU to B1G and UConn to ACC is fine with me too. I simply believe that if they are adding OU, the B1G will want to retain a contiguous footprint and will see KU as the most appropriate partner. By the way, I think that if they add say, Virginia Tech, UConn is the most logical partner. KU is, by most measures that matter to the B1G historically: AAU, contiguous, national brand, culture...possibly the single most Big Ten style school not already in the league, even more than Missouri.

This is why I wonder if the B1G might not prefer UConn and Kansas to Oklahoma and Kansas. Not that UConn is as valuable as Oklahoma -- we're not -- but culturally and geographically UConn and Kansas fit very well. With Kansas and Oklahoma the B1G is doubling down on the Midwest/Plains and psychically getting farther from New York and DC, not closer.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why? Because you don't like hearing what I have to say? Because the truth is, if OU leaves the BigXII it could mean we're stuck in this crappy conference? I don't like it, but it's time to face the reality that we're not the center of the expansion universe.

Again, you can go.

Reaction Score

I follow sports, but am not a rabid basketball fan. I would rather watch a college football game than anything else. Out of the schools that have been thrown around and that I believe are attainable for the Big10, Oklahoma is my first choice with UConn being my second. I understand what UConn brings to the table, that's why I'm in the Huskies corner. The success of your bball team, the academic component, the access to NE hockey recruiting, MSG, all of it.

That being said, I can see the Kansas perspective as well. They are a traditional basket blueblood whose success has been spread out over a long period time. Many generations of college basketball fans recognize the Jayhawks. Paired with Oklahoma and Nebraska, they would comprise a good chunk of the Old Big 8, at least the main teams. Remember, many Big10 schools value tradition (when talking about Rutgers, they have touted they are the birthplace of college football, but then again, that may be the only thing they could say about Rutgers). Kansas has a very long and storied tradition. To top it off, I don't think Oklahoma comes to the Big10 without Kansas. I think Oklahoma is that big a of an addition that it would sway the balance to Kansas' side.

Thank you for wording it more eloquently than I did. IF the B1G takes Oklahoma, then Kansas simply makes more sense than we do to go with them. The fact that some of our fans on here struggle to see that is kind of sad.

Reaction Score
Some of my fellow fans on these boards don't like the fact that we may not be the first choice and the center of conference realignment. Unfortunately, I think our administration thinks like our fans and thus why they're not proactive in getting us out of this dump of a conference.

Reaction Score
Thank you for wording it more eloquently than I did. IF the B1G takes Oklahoma, then Kansas simply makes more sense than we do to go with them. The fact that some of our fans on here struggle to see that is kind of sad.

You are missing the point. And I am not sure you read 'oopers post.

Stop stating definitively with no basis that you know nothing about, as though these are facts and not your opinion, particularly when they happen to be provocative in this particular community.

pj

Reaction Score
What do you expect to be right about? That Oklahoma and Kansas may be taken ahead of UConn? That would surprise no one, especially since B12 dissolution / escape from grant of rights may require many B12 teams finding a home simultaneously.

We just think UConn is of comparable value and strategic relevance to the B1G. That doesn't mean it will be convenient to take us first.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Some of my fellow fans on these boards don't like the fact that we may not be the first choice and the center of conference realignment. Unfortunately, I think our administration thinks like our fans and thus why they're not proactive in getting us out of this dump of a conference.

This is where I think you are very wrong. UConn is positioning itself to be part of the Big10 and doing so very wisely. Just because they aren't yapping on social media *looking at you Cincy* or having your governor almost beg for an invite *Mizzou still has mud on their face* or even starting rumors that your largest benefactor will pay your media contract so you can join for free *shaking head at Memphis*.

UConn is building relationships with the Big10. They are transforming their STEM programs and grad research to be more Big10/CiC/AAU like. They are doing it the right way. I think it looks pretty poor that these schools are begging and it tells me they are desperate. UConn is doing no such thing. In fact, even if they have to stay in the AAC or worse (Nelsons's plan), UConn will be positioned as the prominent public school in the NE. That's the big thing to get out of all of this.

It's relationships that make this CR circus work. TCU was brought into the Big12 because the president schmoozed who they needed to. Oliver Luck's relationship with both Texas and the Big12 higher ups allowed WVU to make the jump. Same with Maryland and Texas A&M.

Reaction Score

I didn't follow your logic there, but I get a feeling your administration knows exactly what it is doing.

Among other things being done, if you want in the Big Ten, you don't talk about it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep, time for an ignore.

Reaction Score
What do you expect to be right about? That Oklahoma and Kansas may be taken ahead of UConn? That would surprise no one, especially since B12 dissolution / escape from grant of rights may require many B12 teams finding a home simultaneously.

We just think UConn is of comparable value and strategic relevance to the B1G. That doesn't mean it will be convenient to take us first.

But that's all I've been saying! However, when anyone else says it they say it in a manner that somehow attacks me for saying the same thing they said! I'm not saying UConn isn't valuable, more or less so than Kansas. I'm saying if the B1G breaks up, it's likely that Kansas jumps ahead of us in the pecking order ESPECIALLY if Oklahoma is off to the B1G.

Reaction Score
The Northeast is there for the taking...haven't had a team that could really label themselves the premier team in the area since Matt Ryan ran up 10 and 11 win seasons about a decade ago.

UConn, Rutgers, BC all have that chance to take the reins and run...be that team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom