Non-Key Tweets | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
It gives UVA the opportunity to showcase itself in the Northeast, the Southeast, and now with ND and Louisville the Midwest.

I am curious for your ACC perspective on this question: why not invite Cincinnati and UConn to the ACC?
An additional team in the Midwest and additional team in the Northeast.
Rivals for both already in ACC conference.
Both a basketball fit with the ACC.

Reaction Score
I am curious for your ACC perspective on this question: why not invite Cincinnati and UConn to the ACC?
An additional team in the Midwest and additional team in the Northeast.
Rivals for both already in ACC conference.
Both a basketball fit with the ACC.

Both have been considered and remain future possibilities when the ACC decides it needs to expand again if they are available and interested at that time. The ACC has not made the determination to go past 16 at this point. Notre Dame has not yet decided to be 15 in football causing the need for 16. If the ACC took both Cincinnati and Connecticut, it would be towards the goal of getting to 20. The needs of an ACC Network will determine whether 16 or 20 are the right size. That analysis is happening right now with ESPN.

Reaction Score
Both have been considered and remain future possibilities when the ACC decides it needs to expand again if they are available and interested at that time. The ACC has not made the determination to go past 16 at this point. Notre Dame has not yet decided to be 15 in football causing the need for 16. If the ACC took both Cincinnati and Connecticut, it would be towards the goal of getting to 20. The needs of an ACC Network will determine whether 16 or 20 are the right size. That analysis is happening right now with ESPN.
Who are the others you'd take? This is getting interesting. Besides Temple.

Reaction Score
The ACC's ACCIAC is modelled after the Big Ten's CIC, so any advantage that the Big Ten has with the CIC over the ACC is quickly diminishing.
The cultures of the ACC schools are still very different amongst themselves. The B1G schools are all northern historical elite research institutions. I would have to assume the B1G would like at least one more school for the other eastern members on or near the east coast (Penn State, Rutgers, UMD). Seeing the ACC is united, UConn is all that's left. Personally, I think the B1G would be the best fit, long term. That area does have a future in natural resources.

But BC, Syracuse and Temple are shorter drives than Penn State. Uh oh.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Delany is a great commissioner too. Delany is holding pocket aces against Swofford's unsuited 7/9.

In your penultimate post, you commented on how shocking it was that someone thought Swofford was an idiot, but in your last post, you have him playing with 7/9 unsuited???

In related news, Whaler11 has just been invited to UConnDan97's No Limit Hold'em home tournament...

Reaction Score
In 1940 the AP named the National Champion. The AP selected Minnesota as its National Champion. Boston College was ranked #5 and defeated #4 Tennessee in a bowl game. I can find no online source that shows BC "splitting" the National Championship accept for a BC website. Therefore, I think its safe to conclude that BC has never won a National Championship. They had a fantastic undefeated season in 1940 but the National Championship was awarded to Minnesota.
Thats a matter of opinion ....Tenn, Stanford, B.C. all recognize 1940 as national championship teams according to the school websites.

Reaction Score
I'm no BC fan, despite marrying an alumn, and generally pulling for the BC hockey team over BU. But they did have a pretty good run post Flutie. Produced some very good NFL quarterbacks, in Hasselback and Ryan with Folely drafted high and never panning out. So I do think we UConn fans tend to unfairly underate the program based on the last few years of utter and complete failure. The football program has had more success than basketball, where they're rarely strung together good teams for more than a season or two.

Fr. Leahy was a lousy manager, Gene D was an outright that sank the athletic department with his arrogance and stupidity. But it is time to put that aside. If BC can today recognize the horrendous mistakes of its past, we can both be stronger for it. The best thing in the world that could happen to BC football is for UCon to join the ACC and play them every year. I know BC fears it, but it would help BC a ton in driving interest. Nobody in Boston will ever give a crap about GT, Wake or those other southern schools. BC is desperate for a rival.
I think that is probably the fairest assessment to date. The fear factor is a non factor. B.C left the B.E. because the writing was on the wall..... the B.E. was doomed, and more money to be made in the A.C.C. I think that you have a very good understanding of the football program history, so thanks for your overview and opinion.

Reaction Score
Under that criteria, PSU has 4 more championships. They have 4 undefeated seasons without a top ranking in AP, but in other sources (NYTimes poll) they finished first.
Thats very true. If they chose/choose to claim a piece so be it I guess, Tenn lists 6 NC including 1940 on their website. Thats is why the new playoffs will put all those disputes to bed.

Reaction Score
A couple of questions simply out of curiosity ....

Notre Dame has not yet decided to be 15 in football causing the need for 16.

What is the likelihood that Notre Dame will ever join the ACC as a full member in football?

If the ACC took both Cincinnati and Connecticut, it would be towards the goal of getting to 20.

Who does the ACC add to get to 20?

Reaction Score
On a level playing field, meaning conference affiliation, UCONN football will look much like UCONN basketball in comparison to BC. There is just no comparison in terms of overall leadership and organizational depth.

Quality institutions do not put or keep folks like GDF in the role he played. And, unless he's completely incapable of telling the truth, he was very much afraid of UCONN on that level playing field. He stated it very clearly for everyone to hear. So, he was either so poorly managed that he was allowed to blurt out his personal musings as he wished, or that sentiment was reflective of BC's leadership.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Thats a matter of opinion ....Tenn, Stanford, B.C. all recognize 1940 as national championship teams according to the school websites.

AP (only poll at that time) declared Minnesota the champion. Helms (a private foundation whose opinion some placed value in) gave the title to Stanford. Tennessee claims that bowls didn't count towards the title in those days and that prior to the bowls they were the best team in the country (pretty much disproven in the bowl game). That year (still true today) nobody outside of BC's athletic department considered BC as anything. We can make as valid a claim for (I believe) 1926 (the NY Times declared that our unbeaten team that season was as good as any in the country) as BC can for 1940.

Reaction Score
MH3@MH321h
Promises were made by espn and the preliminary agreement was put in place. Those promises havent come to fruition yet...

ben george@laxtonto21h
@MH3 Very simply the real deadline is the B1G tv deal. All a 1 yr GOR does is gets everyone closer to the deadline

MH3@MH321h
@laxtonto then not sign the GOR and simply withdraw from the conference paying whatever MD pays

ben george@laxtonto20h
@MH3 exactly... allows for a MD suit resolution and provides time to really research the move both from the B1G, ind schools and FOX

MH3@MH32h
The caveat is that while the preliminary document is worded like its enforceable for all the years of the TV contract, the document itself-

MH3@MH32h
-expires sometime in April.

MH3@MH32h
@MH3 to complicate matters it was indeed signed by schools that are not in the ACC yet and that alone has lawyers sweating its validity

Troy@TroyJr_672h
@MH3 In your opinion how will the B10 play out? Thanks.

MH3@MH32h
@TroyJr_67 I know they have decided that 16 is the number they want and I know 3 schools they are very keen on and in talks with

Todd Carrick@ToddCarrick2h
@MH3. So at what point will the B10 go after another ACC school?

MH3@MH32h
@ToddCarrick not until Md lawsuit is done.

Reaction Score
lol......UCONN stacks national and conference championships like cord wood and BC argues whether they won a notional championship in football almost 3/4 of a CENTURY ag0.

Reaction Score
A couple of questions simply out of curiosity ....

What is the likelihood that Notre Dame will ever join the ACC as a full member in football?

Who does the ACC add to get to 20?

If Division 4 requires a conference champion to reach the semifinals who won the championship in a conference championship game, Notre Dame might get some encouragement to join. I'd say the likelihood of this is between 30 and 50%. If October and November scheduling continues to get more difficult due to so many conferences going to 9 conference games, it could also encourage Notre Dame to join.

My wish list for 20 would be UConn, Temple, Texas, Baylor, and Tulane along with Notre Dame. Cincinnati, South Florida, West Virginia, and Texas Tech are also options. Texas has already reached out to the ACC once in 2011, but I don't think they would come alone. They would want friends. They also want to be with Notre Dame, and they are tied to ESPN. We'll have to wait until closer to 2025 for availability of anyone in the Big XII, but if we added 2, then the objective will be 20.

Reaction Score
I think that is probably the fairest assessment to date. The fear factor is a non factor. B.C left the B.E. because the writing was on the wall..... the B.E. was doomed, and more money to be made in the A.C.C. I think that you have a very good understanding of the football program history, so thanks for your overview and opinion.

That's a chicken and egg argument. If teams don't leave we have an excellent league with great football and basketball. Plus we would own the northeast corridor from Boston to DC. This league would be making a ton of money and you would not have to sell your soul Tobacco Road. The last thing bc wanted was a uconn athletic program which they would have to compete with. Very short sighted and selfish. Rivalries create tremendous atmosphere, like yanks and sox, giants and pats, Knicks and celtics, etc. The old BE was lost opportunity for many schools.

Reaction Score
Regarding this statement that the ACC universities have not signed a permanent GOR ... aside from MH3 on twitter, where else has this been suggested?
I've only seen that here and on OSU's Bucknuts boards!Where theres smoke?Then again I got the same question a week before RU/Md was announced to the B1G!Its funny but it seems like every time something happens its usually done in early CFB season (Sept/Nov to alleviate any negative feedback?

Reaction Score
If Division 4 requires a conference champion to reach the semifinals who won the championship in a conference championship game, Notre Dame might get some encouragement to join. I'd say the likelihood of this is between 30 and 50%. If October and November scheduling continues to get more difficult due to so many conferences going to 9 conference games, it could also encourage Notre Dame to join.

My wish list for 20 would be UConn, Temple, Texas, Baylor, and Tulane along with Notre Dame. Cincinnati, South Florida, West Virginia, and Texas Tech are also options. Texas has already reached out to the ACC once in 2011, but I don't think they would come alone. They would want friends. They also want to be with Notre Dame, and they are tied to ESPN. We'll have to wait until closer to 2025 for availability of anyone in the Big XII, but if we added 2, then the objective will be 20.
I think the Big XII is bound to stay. 5 16-20 team conferences are ideal. UCF and USF would be for the Big XII. Maybe Houston and/or SMU for the ACC. Memphis could be taken in by the Big XII or ACC. Same with Tulane. The Big XII must be looking at Cincinnati, too.

4 20 team conferences might be THE ideal. Hard to say.

Reaction Score
I think the Big XII is bound to stay. 5 16-20 team conferences are ideal. UCF and USF would be for the Big XII. Maybe Houston and/or SMU for the ACC. Memphis could be taken in by the Big XII or ACC. Same with Tulane. The Big XII must be looking at Cincinnati, too.

Of course, with a "goal" of five 16-20 team conferences, I am curious to know how the PAC gets to that number. Could the PAC even find teams to make that expansion worthwhile?
1. BYU: national reach but ... acceptable to Cal and Stanford due to religious affiliation?
2. Boise State: football success but ... academics and other sports acceptable to PAC?
3. UNLV: potential new market but ... academics and lack of football success acceptable to PAC?
4. New Mexico: potential new market but ... academics and lack of football success acceptable to PAC?
5. Colorado State: research dollars have exceeded some AAU members but ... lack of football success acceptable to PAC?
6. Hawaii: research dollars have exceeded some AAU members but ... distance acceptable to PAC?

Reaction Score
Of course, with a "goal" of five 16-20 team conferences, I am curious to know how the PAC gets to that number. Could the PAC even find teams to make that expansion worthwhile?
1. BYU: national reach but ... acceptable to Cal and Stanford due to religious affiliation?
2. Boise State: football success but ... academics and other sports acceptable to PAC?
3. UNLV: potential new market but ... academics and lack of football success acceptable to PAC?
4. New Mexico: potential new market but ... academics and lack of football success acceptable to PAC?
5. Colorado State: research dollars have exceeded some AAU members but ... lack of football success acceptable to PAC?
6. Hawaii: research dollars have exceeded some AAU members but ... distance acceptable to PAC?

I think San Diego State is in the mix as well.

Reaction Score
I've only seen that here and on OSU's Bucknuts boards!Where theres smoke?Then again I got the same question a week before RU/Md was announced to the B1G!Its funny but it seems like every time something happens its usually done in early CFB season (Sept/Nov to alleviate any negative feedback?

Thanks. MH3 et al. provide a fun read at times but ... a "preliminary GOR"? Even the Dude of WV is calling him out on that one.

Reaction Score
Zach Mauch@poke4christ4h
@MH3 @theDudeofWV strange to see you two so polarized in opinion. Dude, you need to get MH3 on the spin zone.

The Dude of WV@theDudeofWV2h
@poke4christ @MH3 I’m not criticizing - I’m just saying the idea of an invalid ACC GoR doesn’t even pass the initial sniff test.

@poke4christ @MH3 I would seriously question a source who first said the ACC GoR was only for a year then changed the story to say

@poke4christ @MH3 the idea that the GoR is invalid because UL & ND signed it - well, it’s just silly.

MH3@MH32h
@theDudeofWV @poke4christ yet that's not at all what I said.

@MH3 I didn’t think you did.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The idea of a "preliminary" or short-term GOR isn't as outlandish as some of the other claims (hello Houston to BIG??). It is vary possible that the ACC put out a document that could be signed without the full agreement or vetting process that a bureaucracy like a state university system would require. It is highly likely that not all presidents had the power to sign such documents without state government or AG oversight. In that event, a short-term agreement to quell the media frenzy with the basic parameters of the full agreement makes some sense while the lawyers pour over the fine print.

The biggest mistake I think most people are making is that a GOR is a simple and straight forward agreement.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In your penultimate post, you commented on how shocking it was that someone thought Swofford was an idiot, but in your last post, you have him playing with 7/9 unsuited???

In related news, Whaler11 has just been invited to UConnDan97's No Limit Hold'em home tournament...

I was complimenting the job he's done without starting with a strong hand. I expect you'll take back your insult now :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom