Non-Key Tweets | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Apparently you didn't read a past reply I made to you. I am a UConn fan. This is a UConn board. This is my perception of BC athletics (minus hockey). I do not claim to be all things football to all people. I know B.C.'s past. I don't care. I have a close relative who graduated from B.C. I don't care. I went to dozens of games in Conte Forum and Alumni stadium directly because of said relative. I still don't care. Past performance does not necessarily guarantee future results. Al Skinner did not recruit a single first year player his last season at Boston College. Of course he was the logical replacement for Jim O'Brien (who was run out on a rail by Fr. Leahy). All O'Brien did was take his BC backcourt and go to the 1999 Final 4. Later scandals notwithstanding, O'Brien was as good a basketball coach as BC could have ever hoped for. Gene DePhillipo threatened a man's livelihood for merely having a conversation. Of course Frank Spaziani should be able to advance the program that Matty Ice and Coach Jagozinski got to the #2 ranking in the country. After all, he beat Navy in a meaningless exhibition game in 2006.

Let me ask you a question. Why is it soooo important to you for us to kowtow to B.C.? With all the shadenfreude that B.C. and its fans in general have displayed over the last decade, you could force the Boneyards' collective eyelids open, Clockwork Orange-style, and make us to watch Gerald Phelan falling in the endzone with the ball and it still probably wouldn't make a difference.

B.C. may not be looking for any special favors, but you sure are.
Just setting the record strait. Very clever wording on your part insinuating B.C is asking for special status because they they will not be able to compete, so you group them in with programs that historically have not fared as well. Im well aware this is a U Conn board and have been more than vocal about my support for U Conn to the A.C.C. or BIG for that matter. I have also stated that I have never supported Gene D. and his actions. I have had many constructive and insightful conversations here. I am in no way shape or form here to try to change opinions, but I am certainly going to inject my opinion at times. Sorry no special favors requested here, just enjoying my membership on a very interesting and insightful site. Thanks for your perspective.

Reaction Score
Yes that is true- It is a split in 1940 -Minnesota and BC depending on sources of info.

I watched the Miami and B.C game on t.v. remember it well I was in high school lol. The bigger thrill was #12 B.C. beating #1 ranked 10-0 Notre Dame in SouthBend 41-39 with David Gordan kicking the game winning field goal with a few seconds on the clock ending N.D.'s national championship hopes. Then in 2002 unranked B.C. goes to Notre Dame and stuns #4 and unbeaten 8-0 Irish once again. Also beating them 6 times in a row was pretty special. N.D. leads Holy War series 13-9-0. Lots of other great wins through history 1976 beating Texas 16-7 in Boston, coming back from 20 down to stun Alabama 38-31 in Tuscaloosa. Many other great wins as well. Not Just Flutie years. Point is that its a proud program with along history and a few bad years recently going 4-8 and 2-10 under a lame a## coach does not diminish the program in any way.

You do have to admit though that more than any program that I can think of, BC’s athletic success, outside of hockey, is built on one moment, Doug Flutie’s pass, and not a long-term growth curve backed by a strong financial commitment (like UConn or Louisville). Before that pass, BC was a commuter college. Nearly 30 years later, it’s one of the top universities in the US. UConn has followed a similar path, except it had taken baby steps in between - NIT championship (1988), Big East Title (1990), then NCAA championships (1999, 2004, and 2011). Academically, UConn is still behind BC overall; but, on the field, UConn has had more success than BC and it has only taken the school 20 years to get to that level. Maybe that is why BC ‘appears’ jealous. Afterall, BC never complained about UConn (nor Maine, Vermont, UNH, UMass, and URI) for the 80+ years it was a Yankee Conference team (and prior conferences).

The NCAA and others have even done research on the phenomenon, not coincidently called the Flutie effect.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArchive/2006/Association-wide/the%2Bflutie%2Beffect%2B-%2B7-31-06%2Bncaa%2Bnews.html

Reaction Score
In 1940 according to wiki (many other sources as well for reading) all four schools Minnesota 8-0 Stanford 10-0 B.C 11-0 Tennessee 10-1 all lay claim to the national championship. B.C beat Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl 19-13. Each school has since continued to claim 1940 as a N.C. year. The A.P. listed Minnesota but other media and non media sources in those days also had a voice and split the decision. Thats about all I know with what I read. They each had a case.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
In 1940 according to wiki (many other sources as well for reading) all four schools Minnesota 8-0 Stanford 10-0 B.C 11-0 Tennessee 10-1 all lay claim to the national championship. B.C beat Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl 19-13. Each school has since continued to claim 1940 as a N.C. year. The A.P. listed Minnesota but other media and non media sources in those days also had a voice and split the decision. Thats about all I know with what I read. They each had a case.

In 1940 the AP named the National Champion. The AP selected Minnesota as its National Champion. Boston College was ranked #5 and defeated #4 Tennessee in a bowl game. I can find no online source that shows BC "splitting" the National Championship accept for a BC website. Therefore, I think its safe to conclude that BC has never won a National Championship. They had a fantastic undefeated season in 1940 but the National Championship was awarded to Minnesota.

Reaction Score

Under that criteria, PSU has 4 more championships. They have 4 undefeated seasons without a top ranking in AP, but in other sources (NYTimes poll) they finished first.

Reaction Score

Sorry can't find anything other then B.C. generated information that reports a football national championship for the Eagles at anytime in the recorded history of man. BTW, I never understood B.C. to be anything but a regional football presence. Further, nothing in hoops either. Before UConn won 3 titles in the last 13 years, no team from New England had ever won a national hoops title except Holy Cross in 1947.

Not to worry, however, your school has come a long way academically in the last 30 years and that's the important thing.

Reaction Score
Didn't Tranghese also say that the B1G had looked at Connecticut? (I believe this was immediately after Nebraska became #12.) Maybe it was speculative, but he's pretty well connected.

Yes he definitely did. He even went so far to insinuate that Delany himself told him that in a conversation.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
At the risk of saying something positive about BC football. Prior to the death of independent eastern FB, BC was the legit northeast FB standard bearer, moreso than Syracuse and certainly New England FB.

That ended shortly after Flutie's pass landed safely in Phelan's arms. The ND upsets were just that, upsets. BC was nothing more than a plucky team in the national sense.

With the formation of BE FB, Miami and VT were the eastern powers defined through conference affiliation. BC was an afterthought. Solid middle pack program. There ACC success showed how bad the ACC was in FB before 2003. (Fsu and the lost sisters of the poor)

UConn's rise and BC's isolation flipped the programs. In 2003 we had no hope of beating BC on a regular basis, today I think we'd win most. BC's hope is that CR puts us back to the 20th century.

That remains to be seen, but one thing is for sure. Good coach or not, BC's best days are behind them.

Reaction Score

Here is the link to Wiki. It lists the year and also which publications proclaimed someone the NC. BC is not on the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

Reaction Score
At the risk of saying something positive about BC football. Prior to the death of independent eastern FB, BC was the legit northeast FB standard bearer, moreso than Syracuse and certainly New England FB.

That ended shortly after Flutie's pass landed safely in Phelan's arms. The ND upsets were just that, upsets. BC was nothing more than a plucky team in the national sense.

With the formation of BE FB, Miami and VT were the eastern powers defined through conference affiliation. BC was an afterthought. Solid middle pack program. There ACC success showed how bad the ACC was in FB before 2003. (Fsu and the lost sisters of the poor)

UConn's rise and BC's isolation flipped the programs. In 2003 we had no hope of beating BC on a regular basis, today I think we'd win most. BC's hope is that CR puts us back to the 20th century.

That remains to be seen, but one thing is for sure. Good coach or not, BC's best days are behind them.

B.C. would be an excellent regional rival for UConn. IMO, it would help both programs. As of now, they both remain isolated outposts in their respective conferences. BTW, Syracuse ain't going to it for them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You do have to admit though that more than any program that I can think of, BC’s athletic success, outside of hockey, is built on one moment, Doug Flutie’s pass, and not a long-term growth curve backed by a strong financial commitment (like UConn or Louisville). Before that pass, BC was a commuter college. Nearly 30 years later, it’s one of the top universities in the US. UConn has followed a similar path, except it had taken baby steps in between - NIT championship (1988), Big East Title (1990), then NCAA championships (1999, 2004, and 2011). Academically, UConn is still behind BC overall; but, on the field, UConn has had more success than BC and it has only taken the school 20 years to get to that level. Maybe that is why BC ‘appears’ jealous. Afterall, BC never complained about UConn (nor Maine, Vermont, UNH, UMass, and URI) for the 80+ years it was a Yankee Conference team (and prior conferences).

The NCAA and others have even done research on the phenomenon, not coincidently called the Flutie effect.

[URL='http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArchive/2006/Association-wide/the%2Bflutie%2Beffect%2B-%2B7-31-06%2Bncaa%2Bnews.html[/quote']http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArchive/2006/Association-wide/the%2Bflutie%2Beffect%2B-%2B7-31-06%2Bncaa%2Bnews.html[/URL]

I'm no BC fan, despite marrying an alumn, and generally pulling for the BC hockey team over BU. But they did have a pretty good run post Flutie. Produced some very good NFL quarterbacks, in Hasselback and Ryan with Folely drafted high and never panning out. So I do think we UConn fans tend to unfairly underate the program based on the last few years of utter and complete failure. The football program has had more success than basketball, where they're rarely strung together good teams for more than a season or two.

Fr. Leahy was a lousy manager, Gene D was an outright that sank the athletic department with his arrogance and stupidity. But it is time to put that aside. If BC can today recognize the horrendous mistakes of its past, we can both be stronger for it. The best thing in the world that could happen to BC football is for UCon to join the ACC and play them every year. I know BC fears it, but it would help BC a ton in driving interest. Nobody in Boston will ever give a crap about GT, Wake or those other southern schools. BC is desperate for a rival.

Reaction Score
If BC can today recognize the horrendous mistakes of its past, we can both be stronger for it. The best thing in the world that could happen to BC football is for UCon to join the ACC and play them every year. I know BC fears it, but it would help BC a ton in driving interest. Nobody in Boston will ever give a crap about GT, Wake or those other southern schools. BC is desperate for a rival.

I agree. College rivalries are built by college student who have friends from high school who went to the ‘other’ school and then playing that school one or two times a year. These regional rivalries are the heat of college sports from the DI level all the way down to DIII (think Union v. RPI, Williams v. Amherst, Bowdoin v. Colby v. Bates, etc.). Students and colleges want to win these games and will invest to win these games. That investment makes the both schools better in the end. That is the potential that BC is missing out by avoiding a rivalry with UConn. While not at the same level, we don’t see Auburn and Alabama trying to backstab the other into oblivion. They much rather punch each other in the face on national TV in front of 85,000 to 100,000 very passionate fans.

A school can really only build strong ‘national’ rivalries if the school is consistently, over a significant period of time a playoff/championship contender. Good examples are ND and Miami in football in the 90’s, UConn and Tennessee in women’s hoops in the 90’s, etc. For a ‘normal’ program, like UConn and BC in football most of the time, our fans wants to see UConn and BC plan and win, not play Wake Forest (ACC) or a Memphis (AAC).

If UConn somehow ends up in the B1G instead of the ACC, I would love to see a football rivalry develop and solidify between UConn and Rutgers. Play it in Piscataway or E Hartford or in Yankee Stadium and call it the Big Apple Bowl (I’ll bring the hard cider). My concern there though is that Rutgers appears to want Penn State as its chief rivalry, even if Penn State does not feel the same.

Reaction Score
MH3@MH31h
Fox telling B12 they need markets. The bigger the better. Fox wants overlap in B10 and B12 markets if possible

Jeremy Anthony@JeremyAnthony1h
@MH3 what are options for that? And LOL at the guy suggesting Houston.

MH3@MH31h
@JeremyAnthony Ohio. Florida. California strongly hinted at. Fox needs content in the last two especially.

MH3@MH31h
Fox is pushing for B12 expansion with open wallets regardless of D4, B10 as well

MH3@MH31h
Learning a LOT today about FS1, Fox's plan to get it maximum carriage, and how it will be a financial windfall for both the B10 and B12

MH3@MH36h
Am also hearing whispers that another ACC team may be having second thoughts as well. This one would be huge for SEC or B12

MH3@MH35h
Might USF be considering an on or near campus stadium? Word today is that B12 not wanting schools w/o a dedicated stadium.

MH3@MH35h
That appears to be USF's biggest hurdle if we go to 14

Omega Supreme@OmegaSupreme91422h
@Iamgrizzly1974 @MurrDCU @MH3 If ESPN and FOX are pushing both the ACC and the Big 12 to add more schools why wouldn't the same apply2BIG

MH3@MH322h
@OmegaSupreme914 @Iamgrizzly1974 @MurrDCU because the B10 is already doing that.

Reaction Score
Someone left the apple pie moonshine on the table where the children can reach it...

The Dude of WV (@theDudeofWV)
8/16/13, 9:49 PM
At least 1 ACC school now in discussion with the B1G. Before you ask I don’t know who it is. I don’t want to know.

8/16/13, 9:59 PM
The school is in the Coastal div.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Someone left the apple pie moonshine on the table where the children can reach it...

8/16/13, 9:49 PM
At least 1 ACC school now in discussion with the B1G. Before you ask I don’t know who it is. I don’t want to know.

8/16/13, 9:59 PM
The school is in the Coastal div.

I'll play. Coastal Division: Miami, GTU, UNC, Duke, UVA, VTU, Pitt. He later tweets that the need a football power and it's not AAU. That leaves Miami and VTU. Miami is not a power, so that leaves VTU.

Reaction Score
Hector Jimenez@USF9636m
@theDudeofWV is what mh3 wrote about espn & fox wanting expansion same as you are hearing? Could USF be in play with this news? Thanks

The Dude of WV@theDudeofWV34m
@USF96 USF is on the B12’s list.

The Dude of WV@theDudeofWV31m
@USF96 Hope the B1G gets what they want. That means at least 2 from AAC slide up.

Todd Cunningham@tacunningham131m
@theDudeofWV @USF96 What is your best guess on time frame for the first move to be made and which conf will make first move?

The Dude of WV@theDudeofWV28m
@tacunningham1 2017 for the B1G. If they can find a school willing to move.

The Dude of WV@theDudeofWV41m

KilroyFSU@KilroyFSU40m
@theDudeofWV Why? The GOR makes that completely infeasible, right?

The Dude of WV@theDudeofWV36m
@KilroyFSU I think the B1G is in panic mode. I think the networks have said you devalued your product you must add.

Mountaineer Steve@Mountaineer_Ste33m
@theDudeofWV @KilroyFSU so they devalued their product and they are going to add more ACC schools to devalue it further?

The Dude of WV@theDudeofWV32m
@Mountaineer_Ste They have to add a football power. Not likely. I think B1G is in panic mode. This school is non-AAU.

Reaction Score
I seriously wonder if those guys ever get tired of making a bunch of stuff up everyday
Kyle those guys starting believeing their on BS a LONG time ago! They think the truth is a lie now!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fair enough. I'm certain because it's from someone that I'm confident wouldn't have to speculate, I guess is the fairest way of saying. It's one of those people that I deem to be authoritative when on this sort of topic.

To be honest though, I seem to recall Delany saying a year or two ago on Francesca's show that Connecticut had been vetted. I didn't think that was really secretive info. I recall it being out there before but maybe I'm wrong on that.
UConn is a logical choice for a lot of reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum on this board. Thanks for letting me know why you feel certain. Not a knock against you, necessarily, because you do have a history, but the unnamed credible source as justification for opinion is ubiquitous on the internet. It would be nice to hear something more, although I can think many reasons why you wouldn't want to be more specific. Regardless, keep posting, especially when you have more info or can provide more detail.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes he definitely did. He even went so far to insinuate that Delany himself told him that in a conversation.
Searched for this couldn't find it.

Reaction Score
MH3@MH31h
So apparently the ACC GOR hasn't been signed by a single school. Not the final document anyway just a preliminary from what I've been told.

MH3@MH31h
No school will sign it until espn makes good on ACC network.

MH3@MH31h
And the preliminary document is only binding for one year.

AJ Tech@tech_aj1h
@MH3 Where is this info coming from?

MH3@MH319m
@tech_aj this particular info comes from 2 of my 6 main sources.

MH3@MH36m
@tech_aj one of my sources has a direct line to an Athletic Dept at a very influential ACC school

Doug Meyer@NebGradDubDub7m
@MH3 ACC has purposely dragged out the lawsuit to prevent teams from knowing what the terms are if they leave.

MH3@MH35m
@NebGradDubDub that is correct

MH3@MH31h
Big10 all this time kept in contact with one school that thinks they can stall GOR signing even if espn comes through with ACC network

MH3@MH31h
One school that will not be affixing their signature to that document.

MH3@MH31h
B10 never worried about ACC GOR. Exit fee is the real roadblock and always has been.

MH3@MH31h
And it's not as much a roadblock for b10 as it is for departing ACC schools. Md lawsuit still very important.

Reaction Score

Searched for this couldn't find it.

From September, 2011

Tranghese also discussed whether the Big Ten would pursue Rutgers and Connecticut.
"I don't think so. ... Before the Big Ten took Nebraska, knowing Jim Delany as well as I do ... Jim did a lot of work. He did a lot of analysis, and I believe that Rutgers was looked at, and Pittsburgh was looked at, and Syracuse was looked at, and Connecticut was looked at. And a lot of schools were looked at. And I think the Big Ten came to the conclusion that the addition of any one of those schools wasn't going to deliver them the New York market. ... So that's why I think that ultimately led them to Nebraska. Now they sit there and they ask themselves the same question: Can they get the New York market with Rutgers or Connecticut? You can do it with Notre Dame."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/33548/tranghese-big-ten-could-be-big-winner

Reaction Score
Here is additional evidence that Delany has given consideration to UConn
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/...ce-d-loh-college-athletics-acc-commissioner/2
Last summer, the ACC moved to take two more schools — Syracuse and Pittsburgh — from the Big East. On Sept. 12, it voted to add Notre Dame — long presumed to be in the sights of the Big Ten — in all sports but football. Some Big Ten athletic directors believed Delany grew wary that the ACC would move to grab Rutgers and Connecticut, two Big East schools who provided some semblance of an entry into the New York media market, an unclaimed territory for college sports. “Conferences were outside of their historical footprint,” Delany said. “The question was: Do we want to go outside ours? The answer was yes.”

Reaction Score
I agree. College rivalries are built by college student who have friends from high school who went to the ‘other’ school and then playing that school one or two times a year. These regional rivalries are the heat of college sports from the DI level all the way down to DIII (think Union v. RPI, Williams v. Amherst, Bowdoin v. Colby v. Bates, etc.). Students and colleges want to win these games and will invest to win these games. That investment makes the both schools better in the end. That is the potential that BC is missing out by avoiding a rivalry with UConn. While not at the same level, we don’t see Auburn and Alabama trying to backstab the other into oblivion. They much rather punch each other in the face on national TV in front of 85,000 to 100,000 very passionate fans.

A school can really only build strong ‘national’ rivalries if the school is consistently, over a significant period of time a playoff/championship contender. Good examples are ND and Miami in football in the 90’s, UConn and Tennessee in women’s hoops in the 90’s, etc. For a ‘normal’ program, like UConn and BC in football most of the time, our fans wants to see UConn and BC plan and win, not play Wake Forest (ACC) or a Memphis (AAC).

If UConn somehow ends up in the B1G instead of the ACC, I would love to see a football rivalry develop and solidify between UConn and Rutgers. Play it in Piscataway or E Hartford or in Yankee Stadium and call it the Big Apple Bowl (I’ll bring the hard cider). My concern there though is that Rutgers appears to want Penn State as its chief rivalry, even if Penn State does not feel the same.
Believe me as an RU fan I think events could/would take over and between Md/PSU/RU/UConn and there would quickly be some real stimulating hot rivalries between all the Midatlantic/NE schools in the Eastern wing of the B1G making the B1G bigger in the East than the BE in its heyday and loads of $$$ for the BTN!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom