'Nobody cares' | The Boneyard

'Nobody cares'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Starting about the 20:30-minute mark of this video the panel (you know the names) start discussing UConn football. You can make fun of them, you can hate them, you can dismiss them, but it's tough to dispute their main point. UConn football is essentially irrelevant in the mind of your garden-variety Connecticut sports fan who lives and breathes Yankees or Red Sox and Pats or Giants and, to a lesser extent, UConn hoops (both). 'Nobody cares' about 23:00 or so'. (Continued after vid)

Just look at the metrics on this board (third most viewed, behind the hoop teams). For about half the people who do make it to the Rent parking lot on game day, it's just different place to party, and if we don't make it to the game, no big deal. And forget about coming when the weather's bad. As much as we look back at the ND, USF, Pitt, Louisville wins with fondness, the dropoff in fan interest under P hasn't been that dramatic. It wasn't that high to start.

Sure, P deserves his share of the blame, but far from all of it. Go to a flawed hiring process where the incompetent AD operating in a power vacuum (Hogan to Herbst transition) flat out ignored the advice of a major booster and/or was pushed into hiring an uninspiring, unmarketable coach by the board of trustees president who has been coaching buddies with him since the 1970s. Add an uninquisitive media who not once has asked LMcH what his involvement was in the hire. Could you imagine the uproar if the same thing had happened in basketball?

But more than all that, there has been the lazy, arrogant "build it and they will come" marketing mentality that started with Hathaway since the Rent opened in 2003 and continues strong today. Look at unrealistic pricing of the chairbacks. There's a lot of people sitting in preferred who would gladly sit in the blues but don't think it's worth $300-plus more a year to move over and up one section. While they've taken baby steps toward making the chairbacks reasonable (breaking them down into three levels), there's never been a serious push to fill the blues. Haven't they figured out that a preferred lower level seat close to the 35 is better than a blue one at the top of the stadium? How about bumping the lower level preferreds up a little bit and bringing the high level chairbacks down more (I would pay $100 more a year for lower preferred)?

So barring some unforeseen miracle, P will be gone and that will be a good point to regroup and rebuild. Fortunately, the next coach has a school and a football facility that makes that a portion of the selling process easy. That coach will need to be an energetic, marketable guy who will travel the state far and wide to sell the program (think Saturdays at malls, Bob's stores, etc), put together an entertaining spring game experience. Look at the selling job Howard Schnellenberger did when he got to Miami. He did some crazy (probably illegal) stuff.

If you feel the need to bury Jacobs and DiMauro go crazy. But don't forget to explain why 'Nobody cares' is wrong.

Reaction Score
My unscientific poll of walking around my office trying to unsuccessfully give away extra tickets for the past 5 years tells me you're not wrong. But hasn't this been known for some time?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nobody is a little strong. There are probably 15-20k pretty good fans locally and based on the number of people who post on this board from around the world maybe another 3-4k abroad.

There are probably 25k-30k who are interested in going if the team is good or like to tailgate in good weather.

We just haven't converted alumni into people who continue to come. Graduating 10s of thousands over the Rent era and ticket sales have pretty steadily declined for a good while now.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nobody is a little strong. There are probably 15-20k pretty good fans locally and based on the number of people who post on this board from around the world maybe another 3-4k abroad.

There are probably 25k-30k who are interested in going if the team is good or like to tailgate in good weather.

We just haven't converted alumni into people who continue to come. Graduating 10s of thousands over the Rent era and ticket sales have pretty steadily declined for a good while now.

not hijacking the thread by any means cause this is good discussion but the amount of passionate students would be exponentially higher if the stadium wasnt 45 minutes away.

Reaction Score
not hijacking the thread by any means cause this is good discussion but the amount of passionate students would be exponentially higher if the stadium wasnt 45 minutes away.

Give it a rest Drew! We get it! Go organize a sit in or something in front of WM or SH office demanding that they pick up the stadium and move it to the Hill. We get it!

Not many here disagree - pissing in our ears every chance you get won't change it.

Reaction Score

I think the free transportation idea posited recently is one small but important piece of the puzzle. And make the ride fun. While the preferred method of transportation would be a party bus with unlimited beer, maybe there's a happy medium not involving booze

Reaction Score
i gaurantee you if we put a winning team on the field, and if we were in a better conference the fans would follow. Winning and being a part of something bigger cures everything.

Reaction Score

Play exciting and winning football and they will come! Attendance has started to crumble under Pasqualoni (loss of more than 10% in two years). It's not location of the stadium, however. The Rent is a whole lot more convenient to campus than, for instance, Sun Life Stadium is to the "U" (same distance, but through Miami to get there). For the Gators last weekend it was full - 77,000. Miami has had attendance issues in recent years, but Al Golden is putting a better product on the field and people are coming back. That can happen at the Rent once we get past watching paint dry with PP at the helm.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's the hand we are dealt. Now lets figure out how to make things better. A former CIO where I used to work was fond of saying "don't come to me with problems, come to me with solutions."

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's really not that hard to figure out. While we were winning 8,9 games a year... we were mentioned on TV more, we were "up and coming", and we sold out nearly every game. When we are 5-7 none of these things happen... when we are 5-7 and are as unappealing to watch as we are... it's even worse.

Reaction Score
Get a great new coach that can put an entertaining product on the field that matches the capital investment that the school made. Then you will see people care.

Entertain them. UConn football has been a downer for so long, really we're lucky to have to 15-20 k diehards that love attending games unconditionally.

Sitting around and pointing out that nobody cares is not doing anything for us. Getting people to care is the question.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I mostly agree with you Ruskin. If the people who matter are interested, I'm sure there's a laundry list of suggestions we could come up with (and have in various other threads) to give people that nudge to care. But it starts with the product on the field.

Reaction Score
It's really not that hard to figure out. While we were winning 8,9 games a year... we were mentioned on TV more, we were "up and coming", and we sold out nearly every game. When we are 5-7 none of these things happen... when we are 5-7 and are us unappealing to watch as we are... it's even worse.

Yup.

Reaction Score
Sitting around and pointing out that nobody cares is not doing anything for us. Getting people to care is the question.

Zoo, I agree with you many, many more times than not. I think do think this discussion in this venue did serve a little purpose; it moved 'irrelevancy' issue into the public domain, and maybe it might, might nudge the folks who make the decisions. I also think it serves at as a subtle counterpoint to Herbst's radio interview last week when she tried to minimize the impact of the Towson loss. At some point she should have had the same view of the early-emptying parking lot as the media guys.

Reaction Score
Zoo, I agree with you many, many more times than not. I think do think this discussion in this venue did serve a little purpose; it moved 'irrelevancy' issue into the public domain, and maybe it might, might nudge the folks who make the decisions. I also think it serves at as a subtle counterpoint to Herbst's radio interview last week when she tried to minimize the impact of the Towson loss. At some point she should have had the same view of the early-emptying parking lot as the media guys.

Nobody cares because people have the impression that UConn Football is not worth caring about. I wonder why that is?

Warde can take step towards addressing that by removing the current staff and hiring the kind of people that will put an entertaining product on the field. It's not an exact science by any stretch of the imagination. But bringing back Pasqualoni and then laying an egg against an FCS team just confirmed things for alot of people. I understand why Warde exercised restraint but he assumed great risk in doing so.

Reaction Score
This is not just a football problem.

Attendance has dwindled at basketball games (especially women basketball games) over the past decade. UConn basketball was once a tough ticket. No more. Is that because no one cares?

Reaction Score
The "if you build it they will come approach" has failed. I also think they missed the boat big time on not pumping BCS football when we were part of it. That said, that is in the past and you have to play the cards dealt. First step, barring a miracle run by this team this year, is going out and getting a younger, energetic coach committed to implementing and running a more exciting offense. No reason why a Western Michigan can come in here, move the ball at will through the air, while were committed to a "staying ahead of the chains" approach. I'm also in the camp that they should revisit their ticket pricing approach. I was talking to my Dr yesterday (first and hopefully only gout attack) and all I wanted to know was if the symptoms would subside by game time. We got to talking about UConn football and he told me how he gave up his season tickets because once his kids were playing sports he couldn't GIVE the tickets away sometimes and they are a little pricey to eat, even for a Dr. I guess LoL.

One thing I've wanted to see for while now is a grass roots approach where tickets are distributed to honor students in the inner cities. Bus them in the whole thing. For now the approach should be create as awesome an environment as possible by packing them in like sardines.

Reaction Score
If one was just a casual fan of the program or a sports fan in general and read anything Dimauro has written in awhile you would not want to attend any of the games. I do not expect someone like him to be a shill but to me he has become more of a disservice to it.

Reaction Score
. For the Gators last weekend it was full - 77,000. Miami has had attendance issues in recent years, but Al Golden is putting a better product on the field and people are coming back.

I watch that game, and the stadium was not full.. in fact i was going to post that, you would think that UF and Miami game would sell out... anyway, was probably the most ppl they have had at that stadium in a while.

Reaction Score
This is not just a football problem.

Attendance has dwindled at basketball games (especially women basketball games) over the past decade. UConn basketball was once a tough ticket. No more. Is that because no one cares?

Hathaway did a wonderful job of alienating the women's fan base by raising tickets and pushing the "little guy" up into the nosebleeds to accommodate the corporate types who quickly grew tired of the experience. The consistent empty seats in the lower bowl at Gampel is almost as bad a disgrace as the blue seats at the Rent. If I'm king the students get half the lower bowl seats there for men's games and I bring the prices back down for the women's teams. I'd go crawling back to people who said screw it and gave up their tickets.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure that the attendance issue isn't part of a larger problem with attendance in sports. Two weeks ago, both the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald had fairly lengthy pieces on the Red Sox attendance problem this year. Its the Red Sox, they've been in first place since April and they are running 3000/game behind last year. Now part of that is the damage of the past few years which really effected early season gate, just as pasqualoni's poor teams have hurt UConn. But I was in North Carolina, fortunately not for long, a few weeks ago and they had a piece in the local paper about attendance falling at NASCAR events. Last year Duke didn't sell out its home basketball games for the first time in who knows how long. For that matter, last year even UL, who, we're told is has this great football tradition, sold out exactly 1 game, the Kentucky opener. attendance trended down as the season went on. With the ACC invite and the Big East title on the line they had 45000 for UConn. Among the things that various commentators mention in looking at this situation throughout sports are the cost of tickets, virtually universal tv coverage which is better than stadium coverage in some ways (various replays, better views of the game, closeups of significant plays such as key blocks, commentary on controversial plays and so forth), stadium policies, and the overall experience, ongoing scandals, and finally just a general change in people's attitudes about these things. Over time, for example, the ability of "Dad" to take off for the entire day on Saturday has declined. Alternative activities also come into play. Finally, with the current tv scheduling, it is almost impossible to plan for a Saturday beyond next week, because you might find out that Saturday's game is at any time from roughly noon to 8pm depending on the needs and wants of ESPN. Fans in the seats are essentially treated as potted plants for tv background and especially when your team isn't very good, they don't bother making the effort.

Reaction Score
I'd go crawling back to people who said screw it and gave up their tickets.
ruskin, not to make too much of it, but the new BC AD actually did something along those lines. Invited a few hundred former football season ticket holders to a meeting where he took questions and answered questions about the experience, cost, goals and what he needed to do to bring them back. I met 2 people who got invites and both couldn't stop talking about how much they appreciated it. 1 re-upped this year after about a 3 year absence. the other didn't this year, but for other reasons (his daughter is getting married in November). He hopes to re-up next season. Tip O'Neill told a story about his first run for office in the 1930s. He lost his run for the Cambridge School Board (his only loss) and his neighbor told him she had voted for him even though he didn't ask her to. He said, "But Mrs. O'Brien, I've known you all my life. I didn't think I needed to ask for your vote." her response, "Tom, people like to asked." That's what we need to do with our various season ticket holders. Not some email, but a real opportunity to ask them to come back, and a real thanks after the season when they do.

Reaction Score
I watch that game, and the stadium was not full.. in fact i was going to post that, you would think that UF and Miami game would sell out... anyway, was probably the most ppl they have had at that stadium in a while.

Sun Life Stadium capacity 76,100 - Saturday's attendance 76,968 - What game were you watching?

Reaction Score
Attendance = (economics) + (passion)

It has and always will. For football, it's performance based - bad product means less attractive when the economics are hurting. For basketball, I think it's more apathy - almost always great teams and only the potential of a few really good, competitive games each year.

The economics of it all can be addressed much more in the short-term. If the stands aren't rocking, innovative plans and lower prices should give a boost. The passion side is much different and much more long-term. These guys don't care, within reason, about costs. (This is me for football but me and the wife are down to 2 games a year for basketball.)

If we have the AD's office not going whole hog (bad pun intended) on whatever it takes to boost revenue AND the coaching staff destroying (OK, maybe that's too strong, maybe it should be not optimizing) the football program, we got the double whammy and it's looking ugly. Getting MBB back into the tourney, getting another WBB title and being really strong every year in other sports (soccer, baseball, field hockey), we're still stuck.

Sorry about the rant - I know everybody here already knows this.

Reaction Score
ruskin, not to make too much of it, but the new BC AD actually did something along those lines. Invited a few hundred former football season ticket holders to a meeting where he took questions and answered questions about the experience, cost, goals and what he needed to do to bring them back.

Di Mauro referenced this and Bates gladhanding tailgaters in his recent column about Warde. People skewered MDM for yet another BC reference but that's shooting the messenger. Instead of walking around looking pissed at the end of losses maybe Warde should stroll the Rent lots before the game and get his finger on the pulse of the people. Not much to ask for $475K a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom