No Maya | The Boneyard

No Maya

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
While sad to hear Maya will not return this season, I am not surprised. I believe her basketball career is over.

She has married and is moving on with her life. I wish her not but the best and all the happiness the world has to offer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Understand the importance of what she is doing, but very sad not to see her continue with basketball. So much talent and at the height of her career - sort of like if Jordon had won three and decided to move on with life.

Reaction Score
I'm mixed in my reaction. On one hand, I honor her commitment to the human rights causes she is involved in. She is obviously the type person who will change the world no matter what she decides to do.
I also want to see her on the basketball court. She would not be the player she is, if she was not passionate about the sport of basketball. Maybe more than any of the Greats, she epitomizes passion in her play. (remember Geno in the HBO series, "who does that? "
I think if you have a gift (possibly insert religion here- "Chariots of Fire"- Eric Liddell) it "might" be a "responsibility" to share that gift with the world.
Lastly, basketball stardom gives Maya a platform that she may not otherwise have to affect society. (although, basketball or not, she obviously has different STUFF than all of us have) LeBron James may have this aspect right!
Best of luck! Hope you come back! We'll be keeping up with you!

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised when we get news of a Mini-Maya in the not too distant future. Probably UCONN class of 2040. Coach Bird shouldn't have to recruit too hard!
It could be a boy..50/50 chance..lol..but she might want to be governor first.

Reaction Score
She hasn’t not officially announced a retirement, so it seems there is a possibility of seeing her on the court in the future again. But I’m guessing it will be in a Dream uniform

Reaction Score
She hasn’t not officially announced a retirement, so it seems there is a possibility of seeing her on the court in the future again. But I’m guessing it will be in a Dream uniform
My guess is that she's done, but has received some good PR advice that she will continue to be more relevant - and thus have a louder social reform voice - as long as she doesn't publicly close the door on basketball.

Reaction Score
Awww. I was hoping that she would make a return this season. My beloved Minnesota Lynx would have been lethal!! But, like others have said, she is using her platform for doing positive things and as long as she is happy doing that, I am good. Wishing her the best.

Reaction Score
Would her "platform" get bigger, more robust if she joined the Atlanta Dream and join forces with Rene?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It could be a boy..50/50 chance..lol..but she might want to be governor first.
That would be interesting. I don't think it's happened yet, at least to any extent, a former women's great having a boy who is also really good. Really, I can't think of any in any sport.

Reaction Score
Athleticism and skills are improving every year at all levels of basketball. Year 3 that Maya is not playing in WNBA. Would be difficult for Maya to return to WNBA in year 4.

Reaction Score
Of course I wish Maya nothing but the best, and I hope she finds happiness and self fulfillment
in whatever course she takes.

My only thought is that, unlike the social causes she supports, the clock is ticking on basketball.
There are any number of things she can do in life at age 50. Playing professional basketball is not
one of them.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
That would be interesting. I don't think it's happened yet, at least to any extent, a former women's great having a boy who is also really good. Really, I can't think of any in any sport.
Pamela McGee has a son and a daughter who both play professionally, Imani and JaVale! Pamela is in the Hall of Fame, and Javale has won three NBA titles, so I'd say that's pretty good!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pamela McGee has a son and a daughter who both play professionally, Imani and JaVale! Pamela is in the Hall of Fame, and Javale has won three NBA titles, so I'd say that's pretty good!
Cool, I did not know that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Of course I wish Maya nothing but the best, and I hope she finds happiness and self fulfillment
in whatever course she takes.

My only thought is that, unlike the social causes she supports, the clock is ticking on basketball.
There are any number of things she can do in life at age 50. Playing professional basketball is not
one of them.
I join the other posters here that wish Maya all the best going forward. While I too enjoyed watching her play, I understand that life has taken her in a new direction down a different path. Basketball was what she did, not who she is/was. While I agree that there are a number of things she will be able to do at 50, I also understand that you've got to strike while the iron is hot. Timing is everything. There may be things (community social causes) that she wants to lend her name, influence and platform to now.

I agree with chrissaran, I don't think she's coming back. There may be things and opportunities (doors) that are available to her now that she wants to take advantage of. She's got to follow a heart that it appears is more passionate about other things than basketball. She's has been successful (and won every award) in basketball at every level. Time to blaze new roads as she follows her heart and passion in a new direction.

Good luck Maya Moore. Blessings and favor to you. UConn Nation and the Boneyard will always be with you. :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom