NIL will blow up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIL will blow up

Reaction Score
Just get rid of the ncaa altogether. If they aren’t college students there is no need for a collegiate athletics association
getting rid of the NCAA is an idea I could always get behind.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What happens if a high dollar NIL transfer tears his ACL in the second game on the season and is out for the year? Do ADs take out insurance policies to pay for it similar to the pros (I know that happens in the MLB at least being a Yankee fan and all)?
AD's have nothing to do with collectives.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
AD's have nothing to do with collectives.
Okay….so does anything happen if your million dollar goose gets cooked or are they just out a mil?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I didn't see it but legal sports betting with the proliferation and non-stop promoting of it even during the games is the worst thing going in sports. Games are being fixed, people are losing their shirts, players and their families are being threatened.

I can't believe people rooted for all these changes to sports.

Edit- yes I can, greed/money but there's so many people who argued all these changes are a good thing.

Reaction Score
One thing that someone needs to figure out is assuring that the players get paid their promised amounts. Rumors are the momey is not nearly as much as advertised (promised?) and some players not getting paid at all.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Agreed. Its the combo.
Unlimited transfers WITH NIL free for all is what is going to be the downfall.

Yeah it's the unlimited transfer situation that's bad. Kid doesn't like playing time? Gone. Kid thinks he can get $50K more somewhere? Gone.

I thought it was disgusting that a coach could leave, and a kid would have to choose between staying or sitting out a year, so I was always in favor of free transfers for any player whose head coach left, but this is a bit out of control, and the NIL stuff exacerbates it.

I don't agree that the old system of cheating was better. I prefer payments to be out in the open. But I do think the system needs to be regulated. Not so much for the kids (although they do need some protection from agents, boosters, etc.), but mostly for the game. Maybe there should be per-player or per-team caps? What needs to be disclosed? What kind of payments are acceptable? I don't even know what the rules are.

All that said, this staff got really good at it really quickly. The only reason we're looking at a B2B title is because of the portal.

Reaction Score
Maybe multi-year back-loaded NIL deals are the way of the future

Reaction Score
Yeah it's the unlimited transfer situation that's bad. Kid doesn't like playing time? Gone. Kid thinks he can get $50K more somewhere? Gone.

I thought it was disgusting that a coach could leave, and a kid would have to choose between staying or sitting out a year, so I was always in favor of free transfers for any player whose head coach left, but this is a bit out of control, and the NIL stuff exacerbates it.

I don't agree that the old system of cheating was better. I prefer payments to be out in the open. But I do think the system needs to be regulated. Not so much for the kids (although they do need some protection from agents, boosters, etc.), but mostly for the game. Maybe there should be per-player or per-team caps? What needs to be disclosed? What kind of payments are acceptable? I don't even know what the rules are.

All that said, this staff got really good at it really quickly. The only reason we're looking at a B2B title is because of the portal.
Payments aren't out in the open now. Things are much worse with the current landscape than they used to be. The next step will be kids transferring all over during the season for a booster who is willing to shell out some more.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Payments aren't out in the open now. Things are much worse with the current landscape than they used to be. The next step will be kids transferring all over during the season for a booster who is willing to shell out some more.

I didn't say they all were. But it's public knowledge that colleges are paying kids and I prefer that people don't need to hide that. I think there should be total transparency (a bit Pollyannish, but that should be the aim). As I said in the rest of my post, this all needs to be regulated.

Also, things sure aren't "much worse" for the kids getting paid. NIL is about the kids and money is flowing to them. Which is a good thing. The system is out of wack, but I have zero problem with the athletes getting a small piece of the action.

Reaction Score
Storr should go pro. He'd get drafted. $1 million is chump change compared to NBA money.

Reaction Score
That would be fine but why should UConn provide coaching, facilities etc? I would support spinning everything off into a professional league. What would you pay to see the Connecticut Huskies professional team play the Queens Red Storm? Or the West Orange Pirates? I’m guessing something closer to $15 than than the $150 for nosebleeds at the Final Four
Or the Ontario Orange

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Storr should go pro. He'd get drafted. $1 million is chump change compared to NBA money.
He might get drafted in the second round. Going back and increasing his 3pt% would be good for his stock.

Reaction Score
If players are now treated like employees, can't there be some kind of contracting mechanism tied to NIL to force them to stay with the program for a certain amount of time (or they have to pay it back or something)?

Reaction Score
I didn't say they all were. But it's public knowledge that colleges are paying kids and I prefer that people don't need to hide that.

We focus on the Duke's and Kentucky's that were paying more and forget that UConn was also "dropping bags." We think we weren't "cheating," because "our cheating was less and the cost of being competitive (and it was)" - but it was more than PC and many, many others so to them we were in a similar class as the other "larger spenders."

I like that we aren't "cheating" any longer.

Reaction Score
I didn't say they all were. But it's public knowledge that colleges are paying kids and I prefer that people don't need to hide that. I think there should be total transparency (a bit Pollyannish, but that should be the aim). As I said in the rest of my post, this all needs to be regulated.

Also, things sure aren't "much worse" for the kids getting paid. NIL is about the kids and money is flowing to them. Which is a good thing. The system is out of wack, but I have zero problem with the athletes getting a small piece of the action.
None of it is out in the open other than what NIL was intended for. Things are much worse for the health of the sport. It's why it's unlikely we'll see the great coaches grow old in the sport and become legends like K, Calhoun, Roy, Boeheim etc. unless things drastically change and some common sense comes back. I don't know how we get to that.

Athletes were always getting a small piece of the action but free agency is bad for the college game and it's bad for the fans. It's worked out great for us but it's not good for the health of the sport.

We agree NIL is good if it's actually name, image, likeness. All the other stuff we're seeing is much worse, IMO.

Reaction Score
We focus on the Duke's and Kentucky's that were paying more and forget that UConn was also "dropping bags." We think we weren't "cheating," because "our cheating was less and the cost of being competitive (and it was)" - but it was more than PC and many, many others so to them we were in a similar class as the other "larger spenders."

There's this weird naivety on this board about our program. There were actually people who believed Shabazz was going to bed starving. It was cool he shined a light on a stupid NCAA rule but basketball players have been treated unbelievably well at UConn and other schools for a long time.

Reaction Score
We're a capitalist country.. NIL isnt going anywhere, nor should it. The players deserve more value than they had been getting. That being said, the bag drop version of NIL may not sustain like this. Again being capitalists, these boosters may get tired of handing over all this money year after year and not making much in return. It may be fun to do now but the Timberlake's of the world Im sure are leaving a bad taste in these booster's mouths.

Reaction Score

Dude, this is the UConn board.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
None of it is out in the open other than what NIL was intended for. Things are much worse for the health of the sport. It's why it's unlikely we'll see the great coaches grow old in the sport and become legends like K, Calhoun, Roy, Boeheim etc. unless things drastically change and some common sense comes back. I don't know how we get to that.

Athletes were always getting a small piece of the action but free agency is bad for the college game and it's bad for the fans. It's worked out great for us but it's not good for the health of the sport.

We agree NIL is good if it's actually name, image, likeness. All the other stuff we're seeing is much worse, IMO.

They were getting a tiny piece of the action and had to give up their Heisman or Final Four if they got caught. It was not fair to them. And it was not fair to programs who maintained some semblance of morality. (I don't believe UConn was squeaky clean but I'm quite confident we went up against really dirty programs for recruits all the time.) Any "system" that promotes cheating is to be avoided.

I don't like the current landscape either but that's what happens when you leap without looking. I'm hopeful some regulations will be put into place to make things better.

Reaction Score
I didn't see it but legal sports betting with the proliferation and non-stop promoting of it even during the games is the worst thing going in sports. Games are being fixed, people are losing their shirts, players and their families are being threatened.

I can't believe people rooted for all these changes to sports.

Edit- yes I can, greed/money but there's so many people who argued all these changes are a good thing.
The continuous advertising and what it's done to the overall narrative of sports is what I really can't stand. The networks bringing on "betting experts" is a joke. If they were experts they wouldn't need a job on TV or they'd get paid a hell of a lot more. And they're all in on it, they know it's laughable and they still do it. It's gross.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything above. Also, at what point are these Universities going to start requiring players getting NIL $$ to sign a multi-year commitment (if they even legally can). It's definitely the wild west when a guy can go in and sign with whoever can pay them the most $$, but has no contract or obligation to the team. Seems like there should be a cap at the very least. Let's hope the Ivy League schools don't go all in on NIL because they have more money than you could even imagine. Harvard could literally peel off 0.5% interest off their $50 billion endowment and have a $250 million/year budget to spend on NIL and athletics.
How could a university require someone sign a contract when they are not at a party to it?
Nil money does not come from the university
If they want to get contractually involved, then the NCAA would have to approve pay for playing
That would de facto make the players employees of the University
I don’t think that’s the way most universities would want to go for I think pretty obvious reasons
As long as various entities are willing to put up the NIl $ it seems the universities have the best of both worlds players get paid and they don’t have to pay them
It’s probably too early to tell but the downside potentially with universities is that money that would be donated is now going to NIL
I find it hard to understand why so many folks seem to have such angst when it comes to the whole NIL
The games still get played in the tournament seems immensely popular and probably keeps some players playing longer than they would otherwise before going pro
As far as certain universities being able to dominate the sport because of NIL
You can only play five players at a time
It’s already been shown that Kentucky has been buying players for years and has had of recent times very little success
judge kavanaugh
was very clear on NIL and will not tolerate
Any limits

Reaction Score
then you really have no idea what's going on
You do realize that it’s a possibility that the major football conferences. Will leave the NCAA when
It’s in their financial interest the move to expand the basketball tournament it’s just another way to get more schools from the football schools into the tournament and grab a bigger share of the pie
It seems to me they will get their way because the NCAA Knows this
not into conspiracy theories. I just don’t think it was a coincidence that the big east only got three teams into the tournament
Imho the only thing holding these schools from leaving the NCAA is the money generated by the men’s basketball tournament they realize that the popularity of the tournament is seeing underdogs beat the big dogs or having the last 2 years the most dominant team(not saying the best) in the last 30 years

As always follow $

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom