NIL will blow up | The Boneyard

NIL will blow up

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Looking like Storr to Illinois. No word on whether he got his mill.

Reaction Score
It’s going to bottom out eventually. Can only drop bags on players to stink it up (Timberlake for example) so many times. Once the COVID fifth years are gone it will normalize a bit and coaches will have to revert back to recruiting and developing vs picking ready-made players out of the portal.

Reaction Score
There are two types of NIL. There is the NIL that players get by doing endorsements for companies and products. Think Paige Bueckers and Gatorade. Then there is NIL that is basically giving a player a bag. The first type is well deserved and where the largest dollars are for the top players. The second type has to be managed. An NIL budget of $2 to $5 million for a top college basketball program does not seem outrageous to me.

And, I think coaches are now understanding that buying a player does not mean you will have a good team. Some coaches will shy away from the mercenaries and try to find players that want to win.

As for AJ Storr, he is ranked 386 by EvanMiya's offensive and defensive efficiency ratings and has a poor defensive rating. Anybody offering him $750k or $1 million hasn't analyzed him well as a player and you can't win with a player that doesn't play defense.

Reaction Score
There are two types of NIL. There is the NIL that players get by doing endorsements for companies and products. Think Paige Bueckers and Gatorade.
This is the type of NIL I will always support. Caitlin Clark on State Farm. Paige with Gatorade. That Bai commercial with Hurley and the roster. All great stuff.

The NIL many, including myself, are wary and unsupportive of is akin to unrestricted free agency in pro sports.

Reaction Score
What is this farce under the disguise of NIL?
Can we just call it pay to play? A marketplace for ones service for highest bidder.

lol @ self and Kansas

This would be his 2nd transfer with immediate eligibility?

Reaction Score
There are two types of NIL. There is the NIL that players get by doing endorsements for companies and products. Think Paige Bueckers and Gatorade. Then there is NIL that is basically giving a player a bag. The first type is well deserved and where the largest dollars are for the top players. The second type has to be managed. An NIL budget of $2 to $5 million for a top college basketball program does not seem outrageous to me.

And, I think coaches are now understanding that buying a player does not mean you will have a good team. Some coaches will shy away from the mercenaries and try to find players that want to win.

As for AJ Storr, he is ranked 386 by EvanMiya's offensive and defensive efficiency ratings and has a poor defensive rating. Anybody offering him $750k or $1 million hasn't analyzed him well as a player and you can't win with a player that doesn't play defense.
I agree with everything above. Also, at what point are these Universities going to start requiring players getting NIL $$ to sign a multi-year commitment (if they even legally can). It's definitely the wild west when a guy can go in and sign with whoever can pay them the most $$, but has no contract or obligation to the team. Seems like there should be a cap at the very least. Let's hope the Ivy League schools don't go all in on NIL because they have more money than you could even imagine. Harvard could literally peel off 0.5% interest off their $50 billion endowment and have a $250 million/year budget to spend on NIL and athletics.

Reaction Score
There needs to be some systemic regulations to protect the athletes, fine-tuning to timing, and perhaps reconfiguration of school types, but NIL and transfer portal are both positive developments, here to stay, and long overdue.

I have zero issues with a pay-to-play system for student-athletes. Institutions provide varying levels of grants and scholarships to their most sought-after students and pay student employees for other campus jobs...so I support paying a recruit directly. Ultimately the market will determine how conferences, institutions, programs, coaches, and athletes want to navigate this new landscape.

I truly believe that elite college basketball is a professional sports league in nearly every way, but name.

Honestly, it would seem weird, but I am not totally sure that I am opposed to players solely being athletes...does it really matter if Donovan wasn't enrolled in classes?

Reaction Score
There needs to be some systemic regulations to protect the athletes, fine-tuning to timing, and perhaps reconfiguration of school types, but NIL and transfer portal are both positive developments, here to stay, and long overdue.

I have zero issues with a pay-to-play system for student-athletes. Institutions provide varying levels of grants and scholarships to their most sought-after students and pay student employees for other campus jobs...so I support paying a recruit directly. Ultimately the market will determine how conferences, institutions, programs, coaches, and athletes want to navigate this new landscape.

I truly believe that elite college basketball is a professional sports league in nearly every way, but name.

Honestly, it would seem weird, but I am not totally sure that I am opposed to players solely being athletes...does it really matter if Donovan wasn't enrolled in classes?
Do we look like UNC?

Reaction Score

Just get rid of the ncaa altogether. If they aren’t college students there is no need for a collegiate athletics association

Reaction Score

That would be fine but why should UConn provide coaching, facilities etc? I would support spinning everything off into a professional league. What would you pay to see the Connecticut Huskies professional team play the Queens Red Storm? Or the West Orange Pirates? I’m guessing something closer to $15 than than the $150 for nosebleeds at the Final Four

Reaction Score
We need 5-7 years for an equilibrium to be established. Early on teams and programs are going to overpay. However, the risk reward of college vs. pro players is night and day. Enough players will flop, and offers will stabilize. Besides, this is just an example of bad negotiating. If he wants to go this route and tank his choice of schools to play for, that is his prerogative. Free Markets.

Reaction Score
NIL money is NIL money. It doesn't matter where it comes from. It's a lousy system and the genie is out of the bottle. A dollar is a dollar ( and a dime is a dime, I'd sing another chorus but I haven't got the time. Apologies to Herman's Hermits ) Given a choice, I'd quietly take the bag and lie on the beach with the extra time I would now have from not doing the commercial.

Reaction Score
There needs to be some systemic regulations to protect the athletes,
Stop right there. Is this actually about the athletes? I keep being told having the ability to get money is pro-athlete. So now we're restricting the ability to get the money to protect the player? Sorry, no. That's not what this is about. You now want to protect the system now that NIL has proven it a farce.

Reaction Score
The old way of paying the players under the table and pretending it wasn't happening was better? Maybe it limited auto fatalities - I will give it that - but it also allowed the "privileged" school to cheat with near impunity and then complain when their "lessors" stepped out of line and matched them dollar for dollar.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think it is the unlimited transfers that is more the problem than the above-board nature of the money (although the above-board money is not helping the number of transfers).
Agreed. Its the combo.
Unlimited transfers WITH NIL free for all is what is going to be the downfall.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything above. Also, at what point are these Universities going to start requiring players getting NIL $$ to sign a multi-year commitment (if they even legally can). It's definitely the wild west when a guy can go in and sign with whoever can pay them the most $$, but has no contract or obligation to the team. Seems like there should be a cap at the very least. Let's hope the Ivy League schools don't go all in on NIL because they have more money than you could even imagine. Harvard could literally peel off 0.5% interest off their $50 billion endowment and have a $250 million/year budget to spend on NIL and athletics.
The Ivies won't get in. Athletics at the Ivies are about creating well rounded students, not winning national championships.

Reaction Score
Stop right there. Is this actually about the athletes? I keep being told having the ability to get money is pro-athlete. So now we're restricting the ability to get the money to protect the player? Sorry, no. That's not what this is about. You now want to protect the system now that NIL has proven it a farce.
I should have been clearer. By 'systemic regulations' I meant things like a structure that protects athletes by minimizing predatory actors, increases their knowledge, provides proper representation, and have clear & enforceable contracts.

Reaction Score
That Athletic article about walk on kids getting death threats on social media from loser bettors is really freaking sad.
I didn't see it but legal sports betting with the proliferation and non-stop promoting of it even during the games is the worst thing going in sports. Games are being fixed, people are losing their shirts, players and their families are being threatened.

I can't believe people rooted for all these changes to sports.

Edit- yes I can, greed/money but there's so many people who argued all these changes are a good thing.

Reaction Score
I suspect that if big-time college athletics didn't already exist...I don't think we would invent it now (I've often thought this about modern marriage). So I am willing to consider (of course really just a thought exercise) decoupling the schools from athletics, since I'm not sure there is intrinsic value in this partnership.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
What happens if a high dollar NIL transfer tears his ACL in the second game on the season and is out for the year? Do ADs take out insurance policies to pay for it similar to the pros (I know that happens in the MLB at least being a Yankee fan and all)?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom