Nick Timberlake to Kansas | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Nick Timberlake to Kansas

Reaction Score
When you combine the unpredictability of a teenager (or, in Timberlake's case...not) with NIL, it makes this stuff almost impossible to predict with any sort of confidence. I naively thought that something like Castle friending Timberlake was interesting (like, why bother) but it all means basically nothing. We're about a minute from Scott Boras entering the chat and filtering everything through Jon Heyman.

Reaction Score
Just sucks because by all accounts it was an A+++ visit. But even that can't compete with life-changing money.
At the very least.. Highly informative scenario for our staff as to how certain programs are going to roll.. It is what it is.

Still not convinced that same scenario didn't happen with Pettiford.. But time to move on.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
See, this is why D’Melio pisses me off. We don’t even have a NIL and are losing players because we aren’t competitive. And we have posters posting crap “thank God we have D’Melio’s NIL connections.” The guy is a Nepo Daddy. But the screen printed Joey C shirts and the bar mitzvahs!!@Chief00 is throwing or whatever.
Seems like you may be a bit green with envy
Don't be bashing the tshirts or Chief00's efforts - I haven't seen crap from you
D'Melio is not a favorite of mine but he exhibits that he does have UConn on his mind.
What are you doing to help make UConn competitive in the NIL world?

What does being a MLS blogger have to do with anything?

You make some outlandish claims

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
you really hate to see it.

just goes to show you that even if you are the best team in the whole country, you will still lose out to the power conference blue bloods for recruits.

sad realization for my huskie bros.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I know we’ll be more than fine w/o him but doesn’t make me any less mad to be spurned and any less petty to hope Kansas crashes and burns with him. On to the next.
If he torches us when we play them next year in Allen Field house it should get interesting on the BY!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah.

I had what I considered rock solid intel at this point last week that it was basically a done deal, but NIL stuff has really, really changed the landscape. There's a reason I haven't been weighing in on recruiting for the past year and, welp, now I've got some egg on my face.

I'm going back to not weighing in on recruiting anymore and retiring the ;). The game's changed too much.

What I will say, though, is that I've got full faith that Hurley gets the guys he needs to for us to be competitive next year, and for as long as he's the head coach.

Anyway, sorry gang.

Keep contributing. 90% of the posters here just attack and don't add anything. Don't worry about their sadzz.

And don't be sorry unless you helped Kansas steal him. If you did that, I would recommend taking it to your grave.

Reaction Score
Can we all now agree that the schools not being able to control NIL dollars and not being able to ‘offer’ it to players is a complete sham. It’s the reason Villanova hired Dunleavy to act as a GM for chrissakes.

How long until the feds start sniffing around and questioning schools’ not for profit status.

Big time college sports have entered the point of no return. Charlie baker won’t be able to rein this in without national legislative action which will not happen.

Rome is burning people
Agreed. How is giving a car to someone Name, Image or Likeness? Did he cut a ribbon at the dealership?

Reaction Score
Agreed. How is giving a car to someone Name, Image or Likeness? Did he cut a ribbon at the dealership?
It’s compensation for NIL (theoretically). Wouldn’t have to be for something related to a car dealership.

Reaction Score
Yeah.

I had what I considered rock solid intel at this point last week that it was basically a done deal, but NIL stuff has really, really changed the landscape. There's a reason I haven't been weighing in on recruiting for the past year and, welp, now I've got some egg on my face.

I'm going back to not weighing in on recruiting anymore and retiring the ;). The game's changed too much.

What I will say, though, is that I've got full faith that Hurley gets the guys he needs to for us to be competitive next year, and for as long as he's the head coach.

Anyway, sorry gang.
No need to say sorry. People that lash out are just mad they didn't get what they asked for on Christmas morning. With NIL recruiting is like a stock. It's not over until the closing bell. You could only report what you know or hear at the time you hear it. The offer gets upped, minds get swayed. Things change. What are you gonna do. Even if you are retiring the winky face, I hope you don't stop weighing in on recruiting. I have appreciated what you offered over the years. Even if you just say "he really likes UConn", but offer a caveat that it's the age of NIL so who knows what will happen. Anyway. Thanks. UConn will be fine but this is the new world order. Money often wins. If UConn can't or won't compete in regards to NIL, people better get used to being disappointed once in a while. Not exactly breaking news but being disappointed isn't exactly a strength of this board or our fanbase.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Yeah.

Anyway, sorry gang.
Don't be sorry appreciate you.

Reaction Score
I went through my personal connection to him in an earlier thread set up when he first entered the portal. Was getting the inside "play by play" throughout the process from Nick.

Bottom line story is:

Luke Murray reached out to him 5 minutes after entering portal. We really wanted him. Murray and Hurley contacted him daily since then.

Top three schools interested that he liked were UNC, KU and UConn.

UNC offered 250K, KU offered 250K plus a Hellcat car, our offer was far far less (not sure how much exactly).

He had a great visit in Storrs, loved the team and coaches, knows it is a great fit, etc. The NIL from us was so low vs. KU (which he also obviously liked) it was a factor.

Meeting on day 2 of visit started with Murray, Hurley and him in room and an empty chair. Suddenly JC comes in to fill the empty chair and help with the pitch. Very impressive.

In the visit he had an exchange with AJax telling him if you promise to be back, I will commit now. AJax couldn't do that. He declared next day or 2.

Came down to two great programs and chose KU. He is a great kid, athlete (Mac McLung like dunker), shooter, team player, and winner. Would have been perfect. Tough loss for us but we will be fine. We are UConn.

I'm not saying this is a bunch of BS that you posted, but the info that you provided in this post could very easily be a bunch of steaming BS as its basic enough, yet sounds like it could be true, and is highly unlikely to get definitively refuted here on the BY by anyone. So a "risk free" opportunity to be an "insider" on big news.

Also, how come he was so specific with NIL stuff for UNC & Kansas, but couldn't give exacts for us?

Anyhow, IF what you are saying is true, then that's pretty lame of Timberlake to essentially issue an impossible ultimatum to Andre. Anyone with half a brain would know that he couldn't honor that specific request.

Reaction Score
It’s compensation for NIL (theoretically). Wouldn’t have to be for something related to a car dealership.
Was joking about the dealership. Getting a car is not Name Image or Likeness. It's a payoff to commit. Happening everywhere. Just gotta deal with it.

Reaction Score
Was joking about the dealership. Getting a car is not Name Image or Likeness. It's a payoff to commit. Happening everywhere. Just gotta deal with it.
I was more saying it's effectively not any different than the cash NIL that Kansas, us, and all other programs are offering. This was just structured in a slightly different way.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying this is a bunch of BS that you posted, but the info that you provided in this post could very easily be a bunch of steaming BS as its basic enough, yet sounds like it could be true, and is highly unlikely to get definitively refuted here on the BY by anyone. So a "risk free" opportunity to be an "insider" on big news.

Also, how come he was so specific with NIL stuff for UNC & Kansas, but couldn't give exacts for us?

Anyhow, IF what you are saying is true, then that's pretty lame of Timberlake to essentially issue an impossible ultimatum to Andre. Anyone with half a brain would know that he couldn't honor that specific request.

Choose to ignore it if you want. Up to you.

Disagree 100% on the AJax comment. Wanting to know, if he can, if a huge piece of the team who is also a great distributor on the court is coming back is a question any recruit would ask of the player or coaches.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I guess we will find out if he has a Hellcat next year. Not sure why any team would want their players driving a 717HP car, but maybe he'd do a commercial for the local Dodge dealer and they'd give him a lease. No way they'd give him the car straight up.
Sure it is. More so than cash really. He'd need to do some advertising for a Dodge dealer. Nobody can just give players money or cars, it's compensation, however loosely defined. But the companies face gift tax issues if there isn't some reasonable compensation back in services.

Reaction Score
I went through my personal connection to him in an earlier thread set up when he first entered the portal. Was getting the inside "play by play" throughout the process from Nick.

Bottom line story is:

Luke Murray reached out to him 5 minutes after entering portal. We really wanted him. Murray and Hurley contacted him daily since then.

Top three schools interested that he liked were UNC, KU and UConn.

UNC offered 250K, KU offered 250K plus a Hellcat car, our offer was far far less (not sure how much exactly).

He had a great visit in Storrs, loved the team and coaches, knows it is a great fit, etc. The NIL from us was so low vs. KU (which he also obviously liked) it was a factor.

Meeting on day 2 of visit started with Murray, Hurley and him in room and an empty chair. Suddenly JC comes in to fill the empty chair and help with the pitch. Very impressive.

In the visit he had an exchange with AJax telling him if you promise to be back, I will commit now. AJax couldn't do that. He declared next day or 2.

Came down to two great programs and chose KU. He is a great kid, athlete (Mac McLung like dunker), shooter, team player, and winner. Would have been perfect. Tough loss for us but we will be fine. We are UConn.
The entire NIL thing being used for recruiting is so ridiculously stupid. If someone like Timberlake is getting $250,000 guarantees then what are top 10 recruits getting? Charlie Baker was hired to fix this thing. He better soon before this thing goes off the rails. I think it already has and now everyone has to try to fix it.

Reaction Score
The entire NIL thing being used for recruiting is so ridiculously stupid. If someone like Timberlake is getting $250,000 guarantees then what are top 10 recruits getting? Charlie Baker was hired to fix this thing. He better soon before this thing goes off the rails. I think it already has and now everyone has to try to fix it.
Over a million, as they should.

Reaction Score
Yeah.

Anyway, sorry gang.
I had a good line on this through sheer chance (not usually an insider), but even what I was hearing was pretty much lock for UConn through Tuesday. Kansas was starting to look elsewhere. And then either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning it seems the family talked it over and the kid changed his mind. Getting paid more to go to Kansas isn't exactly a bad choice, even if most of us think he was a perfect fit for our offense and we'd be a better showcase of his abilities. So can't fault the kid. But it is disappointing as UConn fans (and I think the nature of the decision-making process may have upset some people on our end, and not just on the board here).

I think maybe you just change the wink to "looking promising" or something. Magic 8 ball phrases. And bring back grain of sand.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I had a good line on this through sheer chance (not usually an insider), but even what I was hearing was pretty much lock for UConn through Tuesday. Kansas was starting to look elsewhere. And then either Tuesday night or Wednesday morning it seems the family talked it over and the kid changed his mind. Getting paid more to go to Kansas isn't exactly a bad choice, even if most of us think he was a perfect fit for our offense and we'd be a better showcase of his abilities. So can't fault the kid. But it is disappointing as UConn fans (and I think the nature of the decision-making process may have upset some people on our end, and not just on the board here).I think maybe you just change the wink to "looking promising" or something. Magic 8 ball phrases. And bring back grain of sand.
1682015314783.gif

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
you really hate to see it.

just goes to show you that even if you are the best team in the whole country, you will still lose out to the power conference blue bloods for recruits.

sad realization for my Husky bros.
Same as it ever was . We have 5 nattys doing exactly that. ( losing recruits)
. Not worried. It’s not if UConn can be a blue blood. It’s more like can a blue blood be UConn. From empirical data ( especially in Kansas’ case) the answer is no, no they can’t be us. 5>4.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Do you understand NIL? Charlie baker has no say on that. Charlie baker DOES have a say on portal. Both together is nitroglycerin

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Do you understand NIL? Charlie baker has no say on that. Charlie baker DOES have a say on portal. Both together is nitroglycerin
He has a say on it. He can forbid use of it in recruiting. There's nothing whatsoever in the court rulings that would prevent that. The question is whether the NCAA Presidents want to go down that path.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom