Nick Timberlake to Kansas | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Nick Timberlake to Kansas

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lol . Stop. Real bad look. You know what happened.
I don’t. You don’t. None of us do. It’s silly to suggest other wise. Half the people I’ve met from other Big East schools never shut up about how dirty Calhoun was. It’s petty. As your post in the other thread pointed out, and I’ve been saying, he has more available PT at Kansas. I hoped he’d come here, but no great loss because I want someone who can defend at a UConn level and I‘m not sure he can.

Reaction Score
Sucks but this is the reality we face recruiting against blue bloods. They have much deeper pockets than us. This feels very much like the Justin Edwards recruitment. We gotta target the next tier down of guys.
This is such a defeatist take. UConn has the most national championships of any team in the last 25 years. UConn is also a blue blood and has deep pockets. Because one kid doesn’t want to go here we should target a tier down??? Cmon - after winning a national championship we have and will continue to recruit and win top talent. We also have a top 5 class coming in. We are graduating 2-3 NBA draft picks. Have some faith

Reaction Score
I don’t. You don’t. None of us do. It’s silly to suggest other wise. Half the people I’ve met from other Big East schools never shut up about how dirty Calhoun was. It’s petty. As your post in the other thread pointed out, and I’ve been saying, he has more available PT at Kansas. I hoped he’d come here, but no great loss because I want someone who can defend at a UConn level and I‘m not sure he can.
Just because you don't know why doesn't mean August and other people don't know why.

Who cares, it's a good thing for Timberlake and for Kansas.

Reaction Score
Dude you are the only person in America trying to convince others that a six figure NIL deal wasn’t a major reason why he chose Kansas. It just was. It’s ok. It’s the game when it comes to transfers who have no NBA futures but are major college contributors. They’re going to get the bag. A few of our main guys are making good money to play basketball at UConn. It’s not cheating anymore. It’s the price of admission to the party. No one is claiming Kansas did anything dirty. They got the guy they wanted by outbidding the other competitors. It’s ok.

Good for Kansas and especially for Timberlake. A guard from Towson is going to make life changing money while playing at an historically great school. Many of us would’ve made the same decision

Reaction Score
Well they do have more playing time available than we did at his position assuming Newman returns...I know they are not apple for apple as Newman is more combo than SG, but a lot less competition to get on the court. Still a bit surprising given his home in Mass.
What if Newman takes his talents to the Hawaii post office though?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Just because you don't know why doesn't mean August and other people don't know why.

Who cares, it's a good thing for Timberlake and for Kansas.
Careful. He will tell you about social media opportunities in Lawrence.

Reaction Score
Good for him, would rather have a player with heart instead of playing for money
You can have both. Pretty sure the guys in the NBA don't play for free. Emmitt Smith held out for more money. Then he played in the playoffs with a seperated shoulder.

Reaction Score
Maybe money was the same but Kansas guaranteed playing time. We don’t do that at UConn.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why anyone cares if KU threw a bag at him. That’s the game now. It’s out in the open and even if it isn’t all legal, we all know it isn’t being enforced. Pay for play is the new normal.

Reaction Score
Next...NIL was a huge part of this...
Hurley said he's old school and didn't win the title because of NIL. Boeheim accused Larranaga of buying his Final Four team with NIL. This kid was clearly looking for a payday. If that's the case, all for the better.

However, I have probably sounded like a broken record here lately, but I'm very interested in Hurley's Plans B, C and D

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Just my two cents.

If Newton and/or Jackson are back UConn will be in a great place. In that situation Timberlake would have been a fantastic piece.

If they aren’t back, I’d rather roll with the freshmen. May be a few more losses but I think it will be better long term.

I don’t think Timberlake is a huge difference maker for the program without Jackson/Newton.

Perfect way to look at it - if Newton and Jackson aren't both back, Timberlake wasn't going to put us over the top. If they are back, I still am pretty confident even without him.

It's definitely not devastating, just stings.

Reaction Score
Nah .hard pass. Nice kid. Nice player, great shooter. For him $>winning. Don’t blame that in todays world. Would love him on squad but we didn’t win 5 nattys by paying players more than the next guy. We won by having the right players.
Yeah, if there's anything UConn fans should have learned over the past 25 years, it's that everything works out in the end. We'll be fine.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
1681949847236.png

Reaction Score
Beyond the NIL offer from KU which was far superior to ours, he told AJax on his visit if you tell me you are coming back, I will commit now. AJax was honest and said he wasn't sure. Next day or so AJax declared. Oh well.

It hurts. But we will be fine.

Reaction Score
Nah .hard pass. Nice kid. Nice player, great shooter. For him $>winning. Don’t blame that in todays world. Would love him on squad but we didn’t win 5 nattys by paying players more than the next guy. We won by having the right players.
Let's be honest here, you can't really say a kid is choosing money over winning when the school he picks is Kansas. They're going to be right in the mix next season just like they are every year.

Reaction Score
This thread is brutal. People saying they never heard of him a month ago. Just stop it. You never heard of him because you never watch Towson games. Who does? Doesn't mean the kid can't play. You also probably never heard of Joey Calcaterra this time last year or Souley Boum for that matter. We did very well in the portal last year. Newton was the big fish. We had connections with Diarra and somewhat(through Castle) with Alleyne. Calcaterra we got late in the game and seemed to be largely overlooked by most teams. I do feel we will have more trouble recruiting the portal more than high school kids going forward. With high school kids our great staff sometimes has a couple years to foster relationships. This helps, at least with some players, somewhat mitigate our NIL issues. Still, it was a minor miracle we secured a top 5 class before this years success. Says a lot about our staff and the recruits. The portal is more like speed dating with deals being cut to players who are looking for new scenery for a variety of reasons. A main reason is to cash in. Anyone who thinks different has their head in the sand. Don't blame the players. They are just taking advantage of a broken system like most of you all would. Blame the NCAA for watching the car accident happen, and then continuing to speed right past the wreckage. The fact is if UConn can't or won't compete with some more "cash flush" programs, they will continue to lose some players on occassion. You shouldn't be shocked. Winning it all helps recruiting but money still talks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom