Next year is huge for this program. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next year is huge for this program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't look at starters, look at minutes. This year, only Hamilton and Adams played significant minutes as freshmen and sophomores. And Adams didn't play significant minutes until the end of the season. I can see 2 to 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores playing significant minutes next year. We will be young.
We will have RP Sr., AB Sr. KF Sr. Dham Jr and JA So. I don't call that young. Like someone said our bench will be young but not all freshmen.

Reaction Score
I don't think we played a single team on our schedule this year with the exception of maybe Maryland/SMU that prepared us for what we faced against Kansas. Ironically those were the 2 other times we fell down by 20+. Non conference will be crucial going forward for reasons other than RPI. I just don't think the AAC has enough elite talent to prepare us. I really want one out of KY, Kansas, Duke, UNC, Michigan State, or Louisville on our schedule every year if possible. Those are the elites in terms of coaching/talent year in and year out. Every other program is a crap shoot what you will get from them in a given year. I still think facing Louisville 3 times in 2014 helped us become a champion. Probably because every other team they faced was tame by comparison.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I don't think we played a single team on our schedule this year with the exception of maybe Maryland/SMU that prepared us for what we faced against Kansas. Ironically those were the 2 other times we fell down by 20+. Non conference will be crucial going forward for reasons other than RPI. I just don't think the AAC has enough elite talent to prepare us. I really want one out of KY, Kansas, Duke, UNC, Michigan State, or Louisville on our schedule every year if possible. Those are the elites in terms of coaching/talent year in and year out. Every other program is a crap shoot what you will get from them in a given year. I still think facing Louisville 3 times in 2014 helped us become a champion. Probably because every other team they faced was tame by comparison.
You raise a good point. However I think tonight was not a matter of being ill-prepared. We could have played the San Antonio Spurs in January for all I care, we just didn't have the big men to compete with Ellis and those boys up front. Our bigs are thin and fragile, and Self exposed that. After all, we outplayed them to a degree in the second half. The rebounds were the GLARING difference tonight.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think we're improved next year and with the continued development of Purvis and Hamilton, we could be a legit top-10 team, IMO. My one big reservation is our size. The thing that stuck out to me the most today was just the massive size difference between the two teams. We need more beef up front.

Reaction Score
Re: scheduling, they need to improve the cupcake games we're playing. Over the past few years, we've loaded up on RPI 300+ teams like Maine, UNH, Central, etc. that drag down our RPI significantly.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see us snag 'Cuse on the schedule - as that's pretty do-able. I like the Texas deal that we have. Georgetown for the next few years should be fun, too. Might not be a bad idea to see if they can snag a Seton Hall type team... perpetual top 150 type team that brings up the bottom. Maybe a UNLV or someone like that. San Diego State... who knows. I'm honestly more worried about us bringing up the bottom of our schedule than I am the top of it.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I'd love to see us snag 'Cuse on the schedule - as that's pretty do-able. I like the Texas deal that we have. Georgetown for the next few years should be fun, too. Might not be a bad idea to see if they can snag a Seton Hall type team... perpetual top 150 type team that brings up the bottom. Maybe a UNLV or someone like that. San Diego State... who knows. I'm honestly more worried about us bringing up the bottom of our schedule than I am the top of it.
The latest Texas contract was just a home and home that finished this year.

Both the Georgetown and Ohio St. contracts are home and homes that finish at their places next year.

After next year, the only contract on the books is @Arizona in 17-18 and Arizona in CT in 18-19.

Reaction Score
Don't look at starters, look at minutes. This year, only Hamilton and Adams played significant minutes as freshmen and sophomores. And Adams didn't play significant minutes until the end of the season. I can see 2 to 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores playing significant minutes next year. We will be young.
We won't be young.

Reaction Score
Or Yuge if you prefer.

Another 11-7 conference finish will be very, very bad. This team needs to step up. 2016-17 is where we step back into the spotlight or edge away from it.

It's a huge year only in that over the last 25 years this program typically builds toward something pretty special over a 3-4 year span. Next year should hopefully prove that this is something that will continue under Ollie. What I don't agree with is you saying next year is THE year we either move into or out of the spotlight. This program is a legitimate blueblood, and as an added bonus all of that success has been in the modern era. We would have to routinely suck for 15-20 years for this program to lose its luster.

Take Indiana for example, truly great years have been few and far between for that program over the last 20+ years, and yet nobody questions their status as an elite program.

Reaction Score
I hear you. My point is, we always play our best ball in March. I'm fine with that rather than worrying about regular season results.

We would all personally rather have 2014 over 2006, but you can't deny that a great regular season is huge from an exposure standpoint.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think we're improved next year and with the continued development of Purvis and Hamilton, we could be a legit top-10 team, IMO. My one big reservation is our size. The thing that stuck out to me the most today was just the massive size difference between the two teams. We need more beef up front.

Kansas doesn't have more size, they have bigs that know how to play. But I do agree with you, I think we'll be great next year as long as KO doesn't manage the team like he did this year. We'll have a mix of great talent and experience with most of the key players. I'd also like to see us play a faster tempo next year, we'll have the depth and playing up-tempo exposes talent difference more.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's that complicated. Kansas is good. Better than us this year, in general. On top of that, they played very well. I don't know who you can put on the schedule that compensates for that.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's not huge, it'll be the start to see what ollie can do with a lot of talent and veteran leadership. Ollie has won 20+ wins every season, a NC, missed the tourney one year and made it to the second round the following year (im not counting the ban). Like someone said in another thread, the talent up grade next year is a massive improvement and hopefully it will continue. He had to deal with a lot of and bringing in transfers every season was difficult to get them to mesh with the team. He's done a great job. If everyone returns that can and should, we will be good.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Kansas doesn't have more size, they have bigs that know how to play. But I do agree with you, I think we'll be great next year as long as KO doesn't manage the team like he did this year. We'll have a mix of great talent and experience with most of the key players. I'd also like to see us play a faster tempo next year, we'll have the depth and playing up-tempo exposes talent difference more.
Doesn't have size? Did you see the same game, put their two bigs up against Brimah and Facey and I'm sure they out weigh each of them by at least 20-30 lbs. I agree with your other points to an extent.

Reaction Score
Doesn't have size? Did you see the same game, put their two bigs up against Brimah and Facey and I'm sure they out weigh each of them by at least 20-30 lbs. I agree with your other points to an extent.

As KO said to the press their bigs got what they wanted when they wanted. Our bigs were manhandled as expected. We need to get stronger immediately to be able to compete against these teams, where it comes from who knows.

Reaction Score
Come on. This team, arguably, had the talent to make a solid run. But a 9 seed is exactly what a record in a conference gets you. You can ignore the conference schedule all you want, but it is a serious factor in how far you can ultimately go in March.

Makes sense, has to be part of it right.

Reaction Score
Makes sense, has to be part of it right.
It does. And if they have / had it in them to win the conference tournament, there is no legitimate reason they can't win games in conference and end up vastly better than 11-7. That record in the AAC is shameful, really. The strength of the conference should be a bonus, much like it is for Gonzaga. They have a built in 16-2 record if they play to their capability.

Reaction Score
It does. And if they have / had it in them to win the conference tournament, there is no legitimate reason they can't win games in conference and end up vastly better than 11-7. That record in the AAC is shameful, really. The strength of the conference should be a bonus, much like it is for Gonzaga. They have a built in 16-2 record if they play to their capability.

From the days of 17-1, 16-2 in the toughest conference in America to 11-7 and 9-9 are very tough to handle I agree. And as you say, if we want to still play with the big boys and recruit with them consistently we are going to need to start winning 13-17 games in that conference a year eventually.

Reaction Score
Come on. This team, arguably, had the talent to make a solid run. But a 9 seed is exactly what a $ hit record in a $ hit conference gets you. You can ignore the conference schedule all you want, but it is a serious factor in how far you can ultimately go in March.
This team gelled well right at the end. It took about 3 weeks too long to save their seeding. But if they got it together a little sooner and won the second Temple game, the Houston game, second Cincy game--even losing the SMU game--their advanced metrics would have been better and their RPI would have been 18. This same team would have been a 4-6 seed, and that's just a much better avenue for success.

Kansas is the best team this year; to get them in the second round was killer.

Which means...the league matters, but matters less than we imagine. We played the games necessary to get a good seed, we just lost them. If we win them next year, we'll be okay.

Reaction Score
While we did ok in the non-conference, we need to do better next year. Stop with the 300+ RPI games. They are a killer. Nothing you can do about Ohio St and Georgetown having bad years. @Texas and Michigan were both good wins, but if we had beaten either Syracuse of Gonzaga, our profile would have changed.

Reaction Score
It's not a huge year, we already walked the tight rope and survived in 2014. Left in an awful conference with a new coach who was forced to deal with transfers and sanctions - all things that hurt recruiting. Top to bottom, the program answered the call. We won a title and KO has proved that he can still recruit despite our conference situation.

We just need to continue taking one step forward. Take one step closer to getting back to where we were. One step closer to having a loaded program with depth. We're still rebuilding. We're bringing in our best recruiting class since 2012 and have some good pieces coming back but we aren't making a magical one-year leap where the program is back in 2004 all of sudden. We aren't going 30-3 next year.

Our frontcourt is still lagging behind from a national perspective, last night was a harsh reality check in that department. In the first half Brimah, Miller, Enoch, Nolan and Facey played a combined 38 minutes with 0 points and 1 rebound (and who knows how many fouls). Enoch has a lot of promise to be a solid starter for us. We don't need Emeka down there (though it'd be nice), we just need a guy who can give us 10 & 8 against the nation's best frontcourts. KO needs to avoid going the Jay Wright/Tom Crean path where we're loaded with guards but can't recruit a big man. Zach Brown and Durham (here's hoping his health doesn't derail his career) are a good sign that we'll avoid that.

Remember that for all the conference shittiness, college basketball still is all about the coach. Many programs have proved that over the years - Gonzaga, Memphis under Calipari, Temple under Cheaney, etc. KO can recruit. He can sell the program to top HS players. He can coach in-game, despite all the negativity on this board this season. We'll be alright as a program, it'll just take a few more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom