Next year is huge for this program. | The Boneyard

Next year is huge for this program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Or Yuge if you prefer.

Another 11-7 conference finish will be very, very bad. This team needs to step up. 2016-17 is where we step back into the spotlight or edge away from it.

Reaction Score
Thats what you all always say, every year. Blah Blah
I've never said that. Ever.

We have never been in this situation before. Relatively new coach, not JC. Bad finishes in a made up conference two straight years. Two years of mediocre regular season play.

If we want to be elite, we need to step up and next year is critical. We played much worse than our talent this year. That's just a fact. It's huge.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I don't care what our conference record is next year. This team is, and has always been, judged by what we do in March. If we go to the Elite 8 or further next year, it doesn't matter what we did in the regular season.

That being said, I think we've got a chance to be very good. Adams and Hamilton could be the two best players in the conference.

Reaction Score
I don't care what our conference record is next year. This team is, and has always been, judged by what we do in March. If we go to the Elite 8 or further next year, it doesn't matter what we did in the regular season.

That being said, I think we've got a chance to be very good. Adams and Hamilton could be the two best players in the conference.

The problem is, your path through March is made easier or harder based on how you do in the regular season.

That said, if we bring everyone back, add Gilbert and a little more quality depth, we should have a better regular season (and, consequently, postseason) next year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The problem is, your path through March is made easier or harder based on how you do in the regular season.

That said, if we bring everyone back, add Gilbert and a little more quality depth, we should have a better regular season (and, consequently, postseason) next year.

I hear you. My point is, we always play our best ball in March. I'm fine with that rather than worrying about regular season results.

Reaction Score
I think we have a lot of reasons to be optimistic about next year. Other than Cassell Jr, the questionable talent we had to settle for the past few years will be cleared out and starting with a very strong recruiting class, KO will have the caliber of talent needed to do some real damage.

I love the toughness Gilbert and Diarra seem to possess. Jackson will give us the off the bench sharpshooter we need, Larrier will give us more length and athleticism, Enoch should be improved, and hopefully we get either Durham or Brown on next year's roster providing some impact depth. Jalen should be ready to lead, Hamilton and Rodney will be upperclass leaders, and if Brimah learns finally not to commit such horrendous fouls, should anchor another very strong defense.

The key to me will be whether or not we bring in a legit big man coach who can help Brimah, Facey, Enoch, Diarra and Durham or Brown reach their potential. We can't continue to be at such a scoring and rebounding disadvantage up front, like we were tonight. With improvement in that area, I see a potential 97-98 or 2002-03 type team that can make a deep run and be set up for a NC run a year later.

Reaction Score

This team was a couple of plays away in the regular season from being 24-7 or even 25-6. Would have gotten them a 5-6 seed if they had won their conference tourney. If they can learn to win close games, I think they take off next year.

Reaction Score
I hear you. My point is, we always play our best ball in March. I'm fine with that rather than worrying about regular season results.
if we always play our best ball in march, all the more reason to have a great regular season, then we will be untouchable in the tournament

Reaction Score
I think missing Miller is going to be huge. We're a .500 team in conference without him.

I think we have a lot of reasons to be optimistic about next year. Other than Cassell Jr, the questionable talent we had to settle for the past few years will be cleared out and starting with a very strong recruiting class, KO will have the caliber of talent needed to do some real damage.

I love the toughness Gilbert and Diarra seem to possess. Jackson will give us the off the bench sharpshooter we need, Larrier will give us more length and athleticism, Enoch should be improved, and hopefully we get either Durham or Brown on next year's roster providing some impact depth. Jalen should be ready to lead, Hamilton and Rodney will be upperclass leaders, and if Brimah learns finally not to commit such horrendous fouls, should anchor another very strong defense.

The key to me will be whether or not we bring in a legit big man coach who can help Brimah, Facey, Enoch, Diarra and Durham or Brown reach their potential. We can't continue to be at such a scoring and rebounding disadvantage up front, like we were tonight. With improvement in that area, I see a potential 97-98 or 2002-03 type team that can make a deep run and be set up for a NC run a year later.

Reaction Score
We have to stop making the tourney so hard on ourselves. We have to stop fighting to get get on the right side of the bubble.

Reaction Score
This team was a couple of plays away in the regular season from being 24-7 or even 25-6. Would have gotten them a 5-6 seed if they had won their conference tourney. If they can learn to win close games, I think they take off next year.
Sure, but 5, 6, and 7 seeds got knocked out this year as well. Having a good enough year to have a better seed than our 9 doesn't mean you win. 5-7 in the first round alone if my math is right, which it might not be due to Rolling Rocks.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Who does UConn have for OCC opponents for next season?
Maui Invitational- Great field- North Carolina, G'town, Oregon, Wisconsin, OK State
@Ohio State
Likely 1 or 2 old BE rivalries (Syracuse sounds like a real possibility, maybe 1 of G'town, Nova, or St. Johns)
Probably another good game at MSG/Brooklyn
I'm sure the university will bulk up the schedule even more like they did this year with the conference we play in.
EDIT: @Georgetown is a lock for next January

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Maui Invitational- Great field- North Carolina, G'town, Oregon, Wisconsin, OK State
@Ohio State
Likely 1 or 2 old BE rivalries (Syracuse sounds like a real possibility, maybe 1 of G'town, Nova, or St. Johns)
Definitely @Gtown. The contract was a home and home.

Reaction Score
@Ohio State

Thanks. Looks promising. Doubt I can swing Maui; but, will try to catch a Gtown/Nova/St John's game on the road.

Reaction Score
Next year UConn will be young with 4 freshmen and 3 sophomores. We lose 4 players this year, including 2 starters, plus Nolan who started at the end of the season.

I expect to have a similar to slightly better conference record as other teams lose a lot, but I'd don't think the team will be better unless we see significant improvement with the bigs.

Reaction Score
Next year UConn will be young with 4 freshmen and 3 sophomores. We lose 4 players this year, including 2 starters, plus Nolan who started at the end of the season.

I expect to have a similar to slightly better conference record as other teams lose a lot, but I'd don't think the team will be better unless we see significant improvement with the bigs.
Our starting lineup will most likely consist of 2 seniors (Purivs, Brimah) a junior who has started for 2 years (Hamilton) and a sophomore in Adams. Facey could start at the 4 which would give you 3 seniors in the starting lineup.

Yes the bench will be young, but the staters shouldn't be.

Reaction Score
Don't look at starters, look at minutes. This year, only Hamilton and Adams played significant minutes as freshmen and sophomores. And Adams didn't play significant minutes until the end of the season. I can see 2 to 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores playing significant minutes next year. We will be young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom