News From The Wash | Page 3 | The Boneyard

News From The Wash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I doubt it. Warde said that he was highly doubtful that any CR would take place within the next 2 or so years, but thought that another wave would take place within under 10 years. He wouldn't so candidly say that nothing was going to happen in the next 2 years if he knew otherwise.

I think it might be closer to 5 years, so I've (unfortunately) been told. The ACC has next to no interest in us. I was told the agreements within conferences are the reason there will won't be any movement for about 5 years (don't know why my friend said 5 years maybe that's a date for ND or ACC network). When asked about the Big 12 my contact commented that UConn would make a good travel partner for WVU.

pj

Reaction Score
I doubt it. Warde said that he was highly doubtful that any CR would take place within the next 2 or so years, but thought that another wave would take place within under 10 years. He wouldn't so candidly say that nothing was going to happen in the next 2 years if he knew otherwise.

UConn has to give 27-month notice to the AAC so it's always a safe bet that there won't be movement for the next 24 months.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
UConn has to give 27-month notice to the AAC so it's always a safe bet that there won't be movement for the next 24 months.
When has that waiting period actually ever held? You just pay more to shorten it.

Reaction Score
7jslogh.png
↖ "hmmm... how did Skanes find out Illinois, Northwestern and Iowa were leaving for the Big 12 and UConn is being added to fill the void?" "Why did the rest of the world see UConn lose by 2(as reported by Devin Diglio) yet all the TV sets in Connecticut showed them losing by 3?.hmmmm ↓

Conspiracy Kitty says," Why would the government remove Devin Diglio's report that UConn only lost by 2? Hmmm.. did they really lose?"

Reaction Score
I think it might be closer to 5 years, so I've (unfortunately) been told. The ACC has next to no interest in us. I was told the agreements within conferences are the reason there will won't be any movement for about 5 years (don't know why my friend said 5 years maybe that's a date for ND or ACC network). When asked about the Big 12 my contact commented that UConn would make a good travel partner for WVU.
You seriously don't think the ACC would want us when the Big Ten does? We are looking very, very good to the Big Ten right now.

Reaction Score
You seriously don't think the ACC would want us when the Big Ten does? We are looking very, very good to the Big Ten right now.

I think the only reason that the ACC would take UConn at this time is because of the threat of UConn going to the B1G because in the battle for NYC UConn + Rutgers + Penn St + B1G Alumni > Syracuse + ND and the ACC knows it.

Reaction Score
I think the only reason that the ACC would take UConn at this time is because of the threat of UConn going to the B1G because in the battle for NYC UConn + Rutgers + Penn St + B1G Alumni > Syracuse + ND and the ACC knows it.

You left out a few >>>>s and an 0.5 in front of ND.

I'm biased, obviously, but I don't understand how or why neither the B1G nor the ACC seems to realize that adding us would be like checkmate in the Battle for New York.

Reaction Score
You left out a few >>>>s and an 0.5 in front of ND.

I'm biased, obviously, but I don't understand how or why neither the B1G nor the ACC seems to realize that adding us would be like checkmate in the Battle for New York.
The Big Ten does. If the Big Ten does, I am sure the ACC does. But the Big Ten has more prestige and money.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Mike Melio (big UConn donor who you guys may know for buying up tickets to the Nova game) has been tweeting tonight with the hashtag #riseuptop5. He may just be doing that for the hype, but given that warde manuel called him to inform him of coach diaco's hiring the morning it happened, i'd imagine he's pretty well connected.

Reaction Score
Re: acc not wanting us while big 10 does.

As @whaler11 said, different teams have different values to different leagues. Cuse and Pitt haven't exactly boosted the acc's football cred, same with Rutgers and ,aril and for the big 10. UCONN isn't worth anything to the sec, and pac 12, and very little to big 12. The big, however may place more value, and while the acc may make more sense geographically, they have different motivation than the B1G

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Re: acc not wanting us while big 10 does.

As @whaler11 said, different teams have different values to different leagues. Cuse and Pitt haven't exactly boosted the acc's football cred, same with Rutgers and ,aril and for the big 10. UCONN isn't worth anything to the sec, and pac 12, and very little to big 12. The big, however may place more value, and while the acc may make more sense geographically, they have different motivation than the B1G

Spoiler alert: UConn is going to end up in the ACC.

It might not be what some people here want, but it's a perfect fit.

Reaction Score
I'd love the acc or the b1g. Don't really care at all which, the b1g is more prestigous, but the acc offers trips to curse, bc, the carolinas, etc. sign me up.

The acc, thanks to their raid of the big east, clearly makes the most sense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd love the acc or the b1g. Don't really care at all which, the b1g is more prestigous, but the acc offers trips to curse, bc, the carolinas, etc. sign me up.

The acc, thanks to their raid of the big east, clearly makes the most sense.

There is a post this week on State Fans Nation on ACC football attendance... the ACC will get it right the third time.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
ACC would be an even more perfect fit for UConn if they still had Maryland and added Rutgers+UConn instead of Notre Dame/Louisville. Coulda woulda shoulda...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ACC would be an even more perfect fit for UConn if they still had Maryland and added Rutgers+UConn instead of Notre Dame/Louisville. Coulda woulda shoulda...

There are so many things the ACC and Big East should have done together.

Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath on the ACC. They passed over us for Pitt, and when Maryland left the old line tobacco road lost to the FB schools. Since then the FB schools have even more influence given the disaster called UNC. I'm in Greensboro and my contact here didn't blink an eye saying no movement in P5 for 5 years. He obviously was talking his book and his bosses.

Reaction Score
Spoiler alert: UConn is going to end up in the ACC.

It might not be what some people here want, but it's a perfect fit.
Don't know when it's going to happen but we are going BIG.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes every inside contact in the Big 12 and ACC is going to say there will be no movement because that is what they prefer.

Anyone who wants to wager at even money there is no movement in P5 leagues between now and Sept 23, 2020 - I'm more than willing to take that action.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't know when it's going to happen but we are going BIG.

My apologies I forgot about the secret Big 10 invite - as cable subscriptions crash the Big 10 is totally going to cut more schools into their one half of a shrinking pie.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My apologies I forgot about the secret Big 10 invite - as cable subscriptions crash the Big 10 is totally going to cut more schools into their one half of a shrinking pie.
...or to enhance advertiser revenue, which is the next logical revenue source for any conference with a network.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
...or to enhance advertiser revenue, which is the next logical revenue source for any conference with a network.

Look at the numbers sometime, they are easy to google. To put it kindly, it's a fantasy to believe anyone could add incremental advertising dollars to facilitate an invite to the Big 10.

You either bring enough cable boxes or grow the tier 1 deal. There isn't any other way to generate the incremental revenue to gain an invite.

It's pretty much Texas, North Carolina and maybe Georgia Tech who check enough boxes for an invite from the universe of realistic candidates who might end up available.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Look at the numbers sometime, they are easy to google. To put it kindly, it's a fantasy to believe anyone could add incremental advertising dollars to facilitate an invite to the Big 10.

You either bring enough cable boxes or grow the tier 1 deal. There isn't any other way to generate the incremental revenue to gain an invite.

It's pretty much Texas, North Carolina and maybe Georgia Tech who check enough boxes for an invite from the universe of realistic candidates who might end up available.

Ha ha, that may be easy for you to Google, I have no idea what to search for that. I guess you'd have to look at the ratings for UConn games and then figure out what the incremental increase would be playing against B1G teams and then look at advertising rates for sports and maybe adjust for Connecticut demographics which are desirable given the relative affluence of the state population.... kind of seems complex to me. If you know of a site that would have all that information already put together, post a link when you get a chance and tag me.

With a population of @3 million, about a million of which are located in the coveted NYC DMA, UConn is the most attractive piece left on the board for a conference with it's own network. Having homes pay a premium for the network brings revenue that is otherwise untapped. UConn also brings ratings, especially in the Connecticut, NYC, New England, but also nationwide as it is a nationally recognized brand. Again if you are trying draw ratings and thus advertising dollars, that's important. UConn brings content, across a broad range of sports and thus across a broad range of seasons. That's attractive if you are trying maximize your return on your very expensive sports programs.

In the roll out of any product or service you pick the low hanging fruit first. For college athletics that was broadcast rights. Connecticut is attractive under that metric, not the most attractive, perhaps, but attractive. As a product or service matures you then have be a little creative to squeeze out the remaining available cash. For athletics, the next step was conference networks and subscriber fees. UConn is attractive there as well. The next iteration to monetize college is going to advertising and, once again UConn is well positioned. That is true whether the broadcast rights pie is growing or whether it is shrinking.

While advertising as a stand alone may not have enough value to make UConn an attractive conference addition, all of what UConn brings to the table should be to conference with it's own network. For us, given our location, that means that the B1G is likely considering us. Without other competitors it has the luxury of being able to take it's time, vet us thoroughly, and give us a checklist of what would make us more attractive. It's very possible that is happening. Alternatively, it is possible that Suzie is doing what she can to position us. If so she's doing it very intelligently. Regardless, the notion that we bring nothing to the table is flawed, in my belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom