New starting lineup suggestion... (merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

New starting lineup suggestion... (merged)

Reaction Score
Not certain Ducharme is ready to show up in big games. From my perspective, she seems to get lost.
I agree. Caroline seemed to hover around the three point line too much. Rebounding was needed.

Reaction Score
You want to light fires under some players...start these five;

KK
Qadence
Aubrey
Ice
Ashlynn
I thought Paige played really good in that game and AE was solid too. I don't think they played poorly because of attitude, I thought the game plan was not good. Way too many threes for my taste especially when the shooters really haven't ever had a great percentage from there in games.

Reaction Score
Not certain Ducharme is ready to show up in big games. From my perspective, she seems to get lost.
You might recall that Caroline was the Huskies' best player not named Paige vs. South Carolina in the '22 national title game (not to mention numerous others in which she showed her guts).

I've come to believe that potentially wonderful Paige/Azzi/Caroline triumvirate we all fantasized about isn't about to happen because Azzi is, as many of us are getting to realize, not the go-to shooter we'd expected, and, to the point here, Caroline is clearly taking a back seat to those two. How many times do we see her simply pass the ball along on the perimeter rather than seek out her shot? Heck, she took just two threes yesterday and, on her one foray into the lane, she scored on a pretty five-footer. Not lost, GG, just reticent, which seems to be contagious on the Huskies' rosters. Geno's not giving her time, either, just 14 minutes yesterday, compared with 35 for Azzi...

Reaction Score
That’s how I feel. They need Aubrey and Aaliyah to play together to have a better shot on the boards. And at this point Q has shown a better ability to knock down 3s than Ducharme.

Doesn’t necessarily require adjusting the starting lineup, but this lineup needs to get run time together more.
That makes sense. Mix experience with energy of the kids, everyone learns and gets better.

Reaction Score
I thought Paige played really good in that game and AE was solid too. I don't think they played poorly because of attitude, I thought the game plan was not good. Way too many threes for my taste especially when the shooters really haven't ever had a great percentage from there in games.
To make up a behind score quickly 3's are the only way. 2 are the conservative way--and safe way. So, 99 out of 110 teams when behind shoot 3's.
Experience, a great game plan--good scouting of the opponents---learn to shut down the RIVERS on or Reese on teams--one on one or team defense. That to me was the lack of the NC game.

Reaction Score
You might recall that Caroline was the Huskies' best player not named Paige vs. South Carolina in the '22 national title game (not to mention numerous others in which she showed her guts).

I've come to believe that potentially wonderful Paige/Azzi/Caroline triumvirate we all fantasized about isn't about to happen because Azzi is, as many of us are getting to realize, not the go-to shooter we'd expected, and, to the point here, Caroline is clearly taking a back seat to those two. How many times do we see her simply pass the ball along on the perimeter rather than seek out her shot? Heck, she took just two threes yesterday and, on her one foray into the lane, she scored on a pretty five-footer. Not lost, GG, just reticent, which seems to be contagious on the Huskies' rosters. Geno's not giving her time, either, just 14 minutes yesterday, compared with 35 for Azzi...
Wasn't Azzi the go-to-player last year when she was healthy during that six game stretch when they played teams like Texas, NC State, Duke and Iowa? So you are referencing the one game for CD and not including the 6 that Azzi was terrific before the ND injury?

Below Geno saying in pratice get the ball to Azzi (among a very few others).
Chris Dailey was on a video (which I can't find) that she was saying she is surprised when Azzi misses.
And we saw the 1st 6 games of last year what she did.
Why (1) dismiss the games when she was healthy along with (2) what the coaching staff contunues to say about her and (3) what they are working at evidently in practices?
It's the combo of 1,2 and 3. Why dismiss the sum?

So, imo rather than the point you make about "realization;" many us see this as a "misperception." :)

Reaction Score
Paige can make others better by being a pg, sg or sf. That's what she does best. To pigeon-hole her as just a pg is a bit insulting to her.
And as far as "Buekcers doesn't love to shoot," and trying to tie it into Geno said "Do what you best;" How is shooting over 46% from 3 like she did her frosh year not equate to doing "what she does best?"

And why have you ignored the comemtns that Geno has also said that he wants Paige to shoot more and only focus on "do what you do best?"

This thread is a way too-early over-reaction.

Looking forwad to Patterson coming back and hope for health for all the players.
Other than her obvious talents, Paige's is so versatile she can help the team at all three positions you mentioned. This is particularly important because the other perimeter players are closer to one position players. Nika is a point guard, Azzi is a shooting guard, Caroline is a SF. All of them are far less effective away from their natural position, but Paige could be terrific at all three.

For some reason many here assume that if the perimeter is manned by Nika, Azzi and Paige, that Azzi would be the SF. I have no idea why.
She is the worst rebounder of the three by far, is clearly shorter and not as long as Paige, and Paige blocks more shots. Clearly Paige makes more sense at SF than Nika or Azzi. Is she also the best PG and SG on the roster? Yea, but her ability to be very good at all three allows say Caroline, Aubrey or Q to sub for any of the three.

If Caroline comes in for Nika, no problem Caroline plays SF and Paige moves to the point. Caroline for Azzi means Caroline at the 3 and Paige slides to the 2. Caroline can also sub in for Paige at the 3. Basically the same thing could apply for Aubrey or Q. When they come in for Nika or Azzi, they play the 3 and Paige slides to the vacated position. KK adds another dimension to this, but the main point is because of Paige's ability at all three positions, most of our perimter players can stay at the position they play best, with paige spending time at all three positions to make it work.

Her talents are known to everyone, but her ability to play three positions very well as you point out, and how that helps her teammates do what they do best is vastly underrated IMO.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Azzi the go-to-player last year when she was healthy during that six game stretch when they played teams like Texas, NC State, Duke and Iowa? So you are referencing the one game for CD and not including the 6 that Azzi was terrific before the ND injury?

Below Geno saying in pratice get the ball to Azzi (among a very few others).
Chris Dailey was on a video (which I can't find) that she was saying she is surprised when Azzi misses.
And we saw the 1st 6 games of last year what she did.
Why (1) dismiss the games when she was healthy along with (2) what the coaching staff contunues to say about her and (3) what they are working at evidently in practices?
It's the combo of 1,2 and 3. Why dismiss the sum?

So, imo rather than the point you make about "realization;" many us see this as a "misperception." :)

As I said, Hoophuskee, 'many of us.' It's certainly your privilege to disagree. I also didn't reference Caroline's similarly long stretch during her freshman season when she carried the Huskies. Both players have had their moments, just not so much lately due to injury or their apparently lingering after effects.

'Realization' or 'misperception?' Who knows at this point?

Reaction Score
The key to this team reaching their goals can be fixed but in my opinion it comes down to the development of Ice. That’s why Geno brought her up in the press conference saying that she didn’t play the way he expected. If she starts to be prom which I believe she will be, then I think we will be hard to beat. The other things like tougher defense will come regardless of some players slow foot speed. There are things they can do as a team to make up for that. I think they will figure it all out but Ice is the key for me. How she develops is how far we go.

Reaction Score
As I said, Hoophuskee, 'many of us.' It's certainly your privilege to disagree. I also didn't reference Caroline's similarly long stretch during her freshman season when she carried the Huskies. Both players have had their moments, just not so much lately due to injury or their apparently lingering after effects.

'Realization' or 'misperception?' Who knows at this point?
Yes and I hope you took my post in fun even though we disagree. I respect your posts a lot. We both are saying "many of us" to make our point for our side. Are we going to go into battle - "The Dead Rabbits vs The Natives?" (movie Gangs of New York.) If so, I can tell you that if I'm "Bill the Butcher," I won't cut my eye out and mail it you to make a point about Azzi. My line is drawn! I yield if it comes to that!

And as for CD, I didn’t’; believe she produced the quality that Azzi did. For example, the top 4 opponents Azzi faced, she averaged 25.5 ppg in which her EFG% was 63.64%. This is off-the-charts great for a college player. I'm guessing the top team Caroline played as the lead-player was vs Louisville. She got 24. But three of 4 of Azzi's games vs top competition was better than what Carolien produced in arguably her best vs top competition.

SO why should we either go away from what we've seen and/or go away from what the coaches seem to be telling us? Azzi basically matched the best player in WCBB, Clark. But you pointed out that "Azzi wasn't the shooter we expected." For sure these last two she hasn't. But when she was healthy, how much better of a shooter could she have shown with a 63.64% EFG and 25.5 ppg?

Reaction Score
Other than her obvious talents, Paige's is so versatile she can help the team at all three positions you mentioned. This is particularly important because the other perimeter players are closer to one position players. Nika is a point guard, Azzi is a shooting guard, Caroline is a SF. All of them are far less effective away from their natural position, but Paige could be terrific at all three.

For some reason many here assume that if the perimeter is manned by Nika, Azzi and Paige, that Azzi would be the SF. I have no idea why.
She is the worst rebounder of the three by far, is clearly shorter and not as long as Paige, and Paige blocks more shots. Clearly Paige makes more sense at SF than Nika or Azzi. Is she also the best PG and SG on the roster? Yea, but her ability to be very good at all three allows say Caroline, Aubrey or Q to sub for any of the three.

If Caroline comes in for Nika, no problem Caroline plays SF and Paige moves to the point. Caroline for Azzi means Caroline at the 3 and Paige slides to the 2. Caroline can also sub in for Paige at the 3. Basically the same thing could apply for Aubrey or Q. When they come in for Nika or Azzi, they play the 3 and Paige slides to the vacated position. KK adds another dimension to this, but the main point is because of Paige's ability at all three positions, most of our perimter players can stay at the position they play best, with paige spending time at all three positions to make it work.

Her talents are known to everyone, but her ability to play three positions very well as you point out, and how that helps her teammates do what they do best is vastly underrated IMO.
And what's also pretty odd is that those that don't want her playing with Nika - it seems that Paige was bringing the ball up most of the time I believe? So, she was the pg anyway on Offense to a degree. And we know UCONN runs a motion offense so in halfcourt sets how often is it one pass then a shot for UConn?

So after the initial one pass, pass is in motion, isn't good to have another guard able to get her the ball? Some will say she’ll then be denied the ball. But that wouldn’t make sense. Paige had 18 shots in 30 minutes. And Edwards had 17 in 33. So, there is no "denial" there either.

Reaction Score
The key to this team reaching their goals can be fixed but in my opinion it comes down to the development of Ice. That’s why Geno brought her up in the press conference saying that she didn’t play the way he expected. If she starts to be prom which I believe she will be, then I think we will be hard to beat. The other things like tougher defense will come regardless of some players slow foot speed. There are things they can do as a team to make up for that. I think they will figure it all out but Ice is the key for me. How she develops is how far we go.
I agree with you. They might take their lumps for a while, but, ultimately, UConn will need Ice and Edwards playing in synch together, on both ends of the court, to maximize this team's potential.
The downside is, who subs in for them ? The best they can hope for is 20 minutes a game together, and try to piece together players (Edwards and Brady included) for the other 20 minutes. That would require Edwards playing 35 minutes a game ( I know, not ideal) and Brady 25 minutes a game (20 with Edwards and 5 without her)
With Jana out, Patterson injured and Amari not very effective at the moment, there aren't many options. Unless you want to continue with the 4 guard lineup. Which, imo, is what will probably happen.

Reaction Score
UConn has a6’6” player ?
The UCONN official roster has Amari DeBerry at 6' 6". A number of players apparently
"grew" over the summer! e.g. Paige is now listed as 6' 0, but "Q" was measured at 6' 0" at
UCONN after being listed taller while in H.S. Question... how to measure those Pom Poms.... it's
like the question of "hair height" of C. Williams).

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I don't know why anyone wants Nika benched. She did her job and did it well. Shes not a scoring machine but she did have 6 assists and a steal plus several rebounds and NO turn overs. She played as good of defense as anyone on UCONN and got little help from the Freshmen who were out of sync and position many times.
There are a number of Nika haters on this board.

Their favorite way to manifest is with a New, Better, Superior starting lineup which always begins with Nika disappearing from the lineup and a freshman appearing as the PG.

There's no hope for them.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Play experienced players and work the underclassman in. We need team chemistry and it must be sharp chemistry. The veterans seem to be a little lost at times and that has to do with the underclassman being not ready.

Reaction Score

She played some at the 4 last game too. Hope that isn’t the trend.

Reaction Score
Yours is probably not a super-popular opinion, but I share it. Part of it is that AE has great straight ahead speed, but very little lateral quickness. She's sort of plodding in tight quarters and remains clumsy overall. Also, she offers very little rim protection on defense.

DeBerry, with the limitations she has, has at least shown some ability as a rim protector. She needs playing time so the game slows down for her. But I fear that will not happen with Geno at the helm.

Reaction Score
Guys: Y'all lost ONE game, Thus, y'all think the winningest Coach (in important games) in the history of wbb is playing the wrong lineup? SHEESH!

Now, y'all have made a point over the years that Geno doesn't use a big enough rotation. Well, I firmly believe that most coaches should attempt to have a ten woman rotation. And yes, 6-10 should get some first half minutes; not just mop up. Play your freshmen against other team's first stringers and let them learn from it. No, I don't advocate the use of a platoon system; but try to have at least one of the 6-10 players on the court most of he time in quarters 2 and 3. Geno probably disagrees with that notion because he wants absolute cohesion in the first string to be built through playing time and my opinion certainly can't compare with how he leads the sport's most successful program but: If you have the talented depth, use it.

Dawn is doing it more this (short) season than ever before. We have only one player who hasn't seen time during contested first half minutes. So far its working better than the 5+2+2+bench she used in the past. And each of our lower ranked freshman (Jah and Johnson) have made significant first half contributions in at least one game. (Jah vs Notre Dame, Johnson vs Maryland.)

BTW I'm almost as happy about Jah as you guys are about Qadence. Weren't they both ranked in the 40s?

I think the disastrous injuries of last year are still messing with y'all mentally. Players and fanbase.

Reaction Score
That’s how I feel. They need Aubrey and Aaliyah to play together to have a better shot on the boards. And at this point Q has shown a better ability to knock down 3s than Ducharme.

Doesn’t necessarily require adjusting the starting lineup, but this lineup needs to get run time together more.
Good line up, as long as Ducharme is first off the bench.

Reaction Score
Guys: Y'all lost ONE game, Thus, y'all think the winningest Coach (in important games) in the history of wbb is playing the wrong lineup? SHEESH!

Now, y'all have made a point over the years that Geno doesn't use a big enough rotation. Well, I firmly believe that most coaches should attempt to have a ten woman rotation. And yes, 6-10 should get some first half minutes; not just mop up. Play your freshmen against other team's first stringers and let them learn from it. No, I don't advocate the use of a platoon system; but try to have at least one of the 6-10 players on the court most of he time in quarters 2 and 3. Geno probably disagrees with that notion because he wants absolute cohesion in the first string to be built through playing time and my opinion certainly can't compare with how he leads the sport's most successful program but: If you have the talented depth, use it.

Dawn is doing it more this (short) season than ever before. We have only one player who hasn't seen time during contested first half minutes. So far its working better than the 5+2+2+bench she used in the past. And each of our lower ranked freshman (Jah and Johnson) have made significant first half contributions in at least one game. (Jah vs Notre Dame, Johnson vs Maryland.)

BTW I'm almost as happy about Jah as you guys are about Qadence. Weren't they both ranked in the 40s?

I think the disastrous injuries of last year are still messing with y'all mentally. Players and fanbase.
Yes, I respectfully do believe the winningest coach in meaningful games is playing the wrong lineup--I said it before the NC State game, and I'm saying it now. I did not believe that the 4-guard set
would be successful against them and unfortunately, I was proven correct.

Truthfully, I am baffled at the patience Geno gives to some players, but not others. Azzi, Caroline, and Nika played some 82 minutes collectively and the totality of their scoring was all of 15 points. By contrast, Ice Brady playing in only her second game, misses a few shots and we don't see her again, Given the lack of efficiency of the above, I don't think Ice could have done worse.

As I previously mentioned, the only way that UConn would be successful would be for Paige, Azzi, and Caroline to shoot nearly 50 percent from the arc, in order to overcome the significant lack of interior defense and offensive boards that this line up will surrender. AE is not a rim protector, nor is she very efficient defensively...

I am a big fan of Azzi's and Caroline as well--but whether psychological or physical, neither have returned to their previous stellar form. I am extremely hopeful that both do--then the 4-guard set may be sustainable. However, until then, we may well have to explore different lineups--perhaps blended lineups. in which we don't have to depend so heavily on outside shooting--if Azzi shoots like she did previously, and Paige maintains her great offensive prowess, along with AE's inside scoring, we'll be OK--but the over-the-top expectations of this team may be unrealistic...

Reaction Score

I've come to believe that potentially wonderful Paige/Azzi/Caroline triumvirate we all fantasized about isn't about to happen because Azzi is, as many of us are getting to realize, not the go-to shooter we'd expected, and, to the point here, Caroline is clearly taking a back seat to those two. How many times do we see her simply pass the ball along on the perimeter rather than seek out her shot? Heck, she took just two threes yesterday and, on her one foray into the lane, she scored on a pretty five- sefooter. Not lost, GG, just reticent, which seems to be contagious on the Huskies' rosters. Geno's not giving her time, either, just 14 minutes yesterday, compared with 35 for Azzi...
Caroline had two forays into the lane with the second one being a charge, if I recall correctly!

Reaction Score
Play experienced players and work the underclassman in. We need team chemistry and it must be sharp chemistry. The veterans seem to be a little lost at times and that has to do with the underclassman being not ready.
Tonyc, did you really mean to blame the freshmen for the veterans poor play? “The freshmen weren’t ready so the veterans looked lost” at times “??? Shouldn’t the veterans lead the way?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom