New Offensive Coordinator! Rhett Lashlee of Auburn | Page 13 | The Boneyard

New Offensive Coordinator! Rhett Lashlee of Auburn

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

This Auburn review is illustrative that to the point that the #1 counter pitch to any kid with a scholarship offer to a top 25 program should be playing time. Yeah, congrats you made it to the big time, but the big time is cruel in that many kids with great talent never get to play because of the ruthless competition and kids w/o playing time don't get to play on Sundays.

Reaction Score
This Auburn review is illustrative that to the point that the #1 counter pitch to any kid with a scholarship offer to a top 25 program should be playing time. Yeah, congrats you made it to the big time, but the big time is cruel in that many kids with great talent never get to play because of the ruthless competition and kids w/o playing time don't get to play on Sundays.

Reaction Score
When you break down the offense that Lashlee prefers to run, it is obvious that it works best when he has a dynamic runner at QB. Sure the QB still has to be able to provide a credible threat to pass, but it is paramount that he can operate the run game. Reviewing the roster I think that the answer is simple and completely obvious. Its Keyion Dixon. All day every day. Go watch an Auburn Game and then put on this kids Hudl Film. His run skills as a QB jump of the screen. I honestly don't care if he excelled on scout team at WR. That was on an offense run by a man baby, not a legit coach. When you plan to run the ball 70% of the time it makes a hell of a lot more sense to have one of your most gifted athletes touching the ball as often as possible. I believe that a school like USF showed what you could do in The AAC with a dynamic run threat at QB combined with a couple good backs.

Reaction Score
When you break down the offense that Lashlee prefers to run, it is obvious that it works best when he has a dynamic runner at QB. Sure the QB still has to be able to provide a credible threat to pass, but it is paramount that he can operate the run game. Reviewing the roster I think that the answer is simple and completely obvious. Its Keyion Dixon. All day every day. Go watch an Auburn Game and then put on this kids Hudl Film. His run skills as a QB jump of the screen. I honestly don't care if he excelled on scout team at WR. That was on an offense run by a man baby, not a legit coach. When you plan to run the ball 70% of the time it makes a hell of a lot more sense to have one of your most gifted athletes touching the ball as often as possible. I believe that a school like USF showed what you could do in The AAC with a dynamic run threat at QB combined with a couple good backs.

Another good idea. His Hudl film is off the charts!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Glastonbury High and FBS football are two entirely different animals. I wouldn't be so sure that he's the answer. not saying he isn't, but that's kind of silly to suggest that because he has a nice hudl film that he should be our starting QB

Reaction Score
If I were Lashlee I'd walk in to the first spring practice and say this week we're finding our QB, you think you're the guy come compete.

I agree that it makes sense to have the best athlete playing QB though. Whether that's Donovan Williams, Dixon, Hahn, or someone I'm forgetting/not on the team remains to be seen. I'd speculate on who but I know nothing so won't even bother

Reaction Score
Our Ethan Hammerman evaluated McAfee as well, and compared him to UConn's 2016 and 2015 QBs, Donovan Williams and Tyler Davis: StorrsCentral.com - Evaluating UConn Football's Young and Incoming Passers (Premium)

By all accounts, seems like the Huskies have gotten a real playmaker and a complete dual-threat with potential to bring offensive excitement to UConn.
In-coming recruit Jordan McAfee is not considered a dual-threat QB, however he has the ability to run. I'm not saying he is anything close to Cam Newton coming out of high school. He does have that kind of speed. McAfee is similar in size, and a much more polished passer. He seems to me like a guy Lashlee may be able to work with. I wouldn't take him out of the QB equation, just yet.

Reaction Score

I don't think Dixon should move to QB. I saw him in HS a few times and I don't see any way he becomes a D1 QB. I'm hoping we just find a stop-gap and that Rose comes back.

Reaction Score
Can you tell me what you posted, looks like the tweet has been removed.
Greg Swa im had tweeted that you're better off going to a team that you're going to play on, rather than a better funded team where you will sit on the bench. Could have been AAU basketball related but it was the same point.

Reaction Score
I don't think Dixon should move to QB. I saw him in HS a few times and I don't see any way he becomes a D1 QB. I'm hoping we just find a stop-gap and that Rose comes back.

I get that the learning curve from CT HS Football to FBS is huge, but from my view he may have the most physical talent of anyone who could potentially play the position currently on the roster. Whoever the guy ends up being, we can all agree that it will be better than the horror show Disastro ran out on the field for the last three years.

Reaction Score
I get that the learning curve from CT HS Football to FBS is huge, but from my view he may have the most physical talent of anyone who could potentially play the position currently on the roster. Whoever the guy ends up being, we can all agree that it will be better than the horror show Disastro ran out on the field for the last three years.

He's just not a great passer. He's a D1 athlete for sure, but he was an average HS passer

Reaction Score
In-coming recruit Jordan McAfee is not considered a dual-threat QB, however he has the ability to run. I'm not saying he is anything close to Cam Newton coming out of high school. He does have that kind of speed. McAfee is similar in size, and a much more polished passer. He seems to me like a guy Lashlee may be able to work with. I wouldn't take him out of the QB equation, just yet.
Sorry....this was suppose to say, "He doesn't have that kind of speed."

Reaction Score
I've been a proponent of opening up the offense based on the system and our underutilized personnel. But in a different well managed option oriented offense you can have some great results and a lot of excitement. One of my favorite QB's was Darian Hagan and I could have watched that offense for 6 qtrs a game. You still want to spread the D to open up gaps but there's more than one way to generate exciting offense.

Reaction Score
He's just not a great passer. He's a D1 athlete for sure, but he was an average HS passer

I won't argue with you regarding his passing ability. I've never watched him throw the ball in anything but highlight film, so I won't question it. That said he would be in charge of an offense that could potentially run the ball north of 70% of the time. JMO but it may be more important that the QB is a more credible running threat than passing one in this offense.

Look at guys like Greg Ward, Denard Robinson, and Braxton Miller. You knew that they would likely never play a down at QB at The NFL Level. That said they were the best athletes on their teams, so it made sense for them touch the ball as often as possible. Again only my opinion, but I would give him a legit look at the position. He might be a viable option, and could effect the game far more than he could as a WR blocking for running backs and being targeted 3-4 times a game.

Reaction Score
6. Two coordinators left more prestigious schools for less prestigious ones last week, but the steps back might have been their only chances to get head-coaching jobs in the future. Rhett Lashlee, who played in high school for Gus Malzahn and who has worked with Malzahn for all but one year of his coaching career, left Auburn’s offensive coordinator job to take a pay cut and the same job on Randy Edsall’s staff at UConn. Also last week, Doug Meacham left TCU, where he shared offensive coordinator responsibilities with Sonnie Cumbie, to take the offensive coordinator job at Kansas.

The Lashlee move is especially interesting because Malzahn acknowledged during the 2016 season that turning over playcalling duties to Lashlee helped dramatically improve Auburn’s offense. But that arrangement apparently wasn’t going to continue as it was at season’s end, so Lashlee struck out on his own. Remember how we mentioned a few sections ago that UConn had one of the nation’s worst offenses last year? The Huskies ranked No. 122 in the nation in yards per play (4.81). Up is basically the only direction they can go. Lashlee, who was in the hunt to get the Louisiana-Monroe head coaching job that ultimately went to Matt Viator last year, needs to show that he can run an offense independent of Malzahn if he wants to become a head coach. That’s the last lingering question for a guy whose résumé and demeanor scream “future head coach.” He’ll get his chance to prove that working for the defensive-minded Edsall.

Building the perfect college football staff

Reaction Score
6. Two coordinators left more prestigious schools for less prestigious ones last week, but the steps back might have been their only chances to get head-coaching jobs in the future. Rhett Lashlee, who played in high school for Gus Malzahn and who has worked with Malzahn for all but one year of his coaching career, left Auburn’s offensive coordinator job to take a pay cut and the same job on Randy Edsall’s staff at UConn. Also last week, Doug Meacham left TCU, where he shared offensive coordinator responsibilities with Sonnie Cumbie, to take the offensive coordinator job at Kansas.

The Lashlee move is especially interesting because Malzahn acknowledged during the 2016 season that turning over playcalling duties to Lashlee helped dramatically improve Auburn’s offense. But that arrangement apparently wasn’t going to continue as it was at season’s end, so Lashlee struck out on his own. Remember how we mentioned a few sections ago that UConn had one of the nation’s worst offenses last year? The Huskies ranked No. 122 in the nation in yards per play (4.81). Up is basically the only direction they can go. Lashlee, who was in the hunt to get the Louisiana-Monroe head coaching job that ultimately went to Matt Viator last year, needs to show that he can run an offense independent of Malzahn if he wants to become a head coach. That’s the last lingering question for a guy whose résumé and demeanor scream “future head coach.” He’ll get his chance to prove that working for the defensive-minded Edsall.

Building the perfect college football staff

Interesting. You post prompted me to research further. It is indeed surprising that Malzan would take away the keys after Lashlee did so well but as you say, his ambition, clearly stated is to be a head coach. I like his patience and organized approach and hopeful it translates to both winning and exciting offense. RL couldn't ask for a better opportunity to shine.

Although undoubtedly Meacham has head coaching aspirations, apparently play calling responsibilities were being taken away from him as well which prompted the move to the Jayhawks. So it looks like there is a little more to the story.

Meacham, an Arlington native, had served as the primary play-caller and co-offensive coordinator at TCU the past three seasons with Sonny Cumbie.

TCU coach Gary Patterson made the move to the Air Raid offense, hiring Meacham and Cumbie before the 2014 season. The Horned Frogs won 23 games in 2014 and '15 and ranked among the national leaders in offense. Last year, Meacham was a leading candidate for the UNT head coaching job.

This season, TCU slumped to 6-7, ranking seventh in the Big 1u2 in total offense. Patterson expressed frustration after a late-season loss to Oklahoma State.

"Shoot, maybe we'll be changing offenses again," Patterson said. "You have to be able to run the football."

Citing sources, 247Sports.com reported Thursday that Cumbie would be taking over play-calling duties, prompting Meacham's decision to leave.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom