New ESPN Bracketology | The Boneyard

New ESPN Bracketology

Reaction Score
I won't be surprised if South Carolina has the resume of a 2-3 seed but plays like a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. We have so much youth and inexperience that I suspect we'll have a few unexpected losses as the chemistry and experience is coming along. Dawn will have them humming like a well-oiled machine by season's end.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
So we are in UConn's bracket as a second seed. My, my my. I guess it's set in stone now. No final four . ;)
If SC isn't an outright number 1 overall seed then you can bet your behind we're gonna have to go through UConn to get to the title game. This doesn't surprise me.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
OSU being a number 1 is definitely a choice. I had no idea they were expected to be THAT good this season. Good? Yes. Elite? Interesting.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
OSU being a number 1 is definitely a choice. I had no idea they were expected to be THAT good this season. Good? Yes. Elite? Interesting.
Amending this. There's some talent on that roster. Completely forgot they had a big transfer haul. Will be interesting to follow the Buckeyes this year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think people are underestimating Indiana after their early exit. I’m also not sure how Louisville warrants a 4 seed considering their losses?

I also think a 1 is generous for UCLA. They look good on paper but fundamentally I’m not sold on the team’s ability to play as a 1. Osborne is a high volume shoot first guard and I’m not convinced they’ll get at the level people project them to.

Also regarding Notre Dame, is there any confirmation that Miles is healthy or playing this year?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Any brackets this far out are obviously not very accurate, but this has UConn with possible rematches against:

Arizona or N.C. State

Maryland

Notre Dame or South Carolina

Interesting.

Reaction Score
Another great off-season topic. I know it is early and anything is possible but UCLA as a #1 Seed? I agree with @bballnut90, that #1 Seed is very generous, but anything is possible.

Reaction Score
I think people are underestimating Indiana after their early exit. I’m also not sure how Louisville warrants a 4 seed considering their losses?

I also think a 1 is generous for UCLA. They look good on paper but fundamentally I’m not sold on the team’s ability to play as a 1. Osborne is a high volume shoot first guard and I’m not convinced they’ll get at the level people project them to.

Also regarding Notre Dame, is there any confirmation that Miles is healthy or playing this year?
I thought Indiana was way too low, too. I think Sharnecce Currie-Jelks was one of the most valuable portal pickups. Gives them a reliable interior option not named Mackenzie Holmes. Speaking of Holmes, when is the last time we had a returning first-team AA that is still so underrated? I think they’ll be a 1 or 2-seed.

4 for Louisville is generous this far away from Christmas. I think they got some interesting pieces. Jayda Curry, Kiki Jefferson, and Nina Rickards could be an elite guard lineup. I think they got a fourth solid guard too but can’t recall the name or school. But the Ville underperformed this year and I have more questions about the program than I have since 2017.

UCLA is the least likely to be a 1 seed of the four projected here. I’m a fan of Close but I think she’s a better motivator and recruiter than she is a game coach. Utah’s gonna be really dangerous in the PAC and looking in-state I think Tara tends to do better with lower expectations than when she’s the favorite.

Implicit suggestion I’ve heard about Miles is that she’ll be back this year but is not expected until around midseason. I saw some initial speculation that was the reason the UConn matchup was moved into late January when it’s usually in early December — not sure if anyone here can confirm that. I’ve also heard Hidalgo looks great early and they’ll be ready to roll even without Miles.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Way to soon to be thinking about the tourney, IMO.

However, I'm interested to see how teams like Bama, and Vandy improve this year, along with where the rebuild is with my Rutgers. I think there could be several surprise teams, much like Illi was last season that makes a case for the tourney.

Reaction Score

A lot has to do with UCLA being the favorite to win the PAC12 title. P5 regular season champs are usually considered for 1 seeds.
Traditionally, ESPN gives every team but UConn the "rose colored glasses" treatment. While I agree that UConn has things to prove so do just about every team. Miles will be someone who "will make NDame a contender for the title when she returns" while Bueckers "has to show that she is the same player as before her injury". The UConn freshmen will "try to fit into the team" while Williams "will be immediate help for LSU's title defense". Van Lith,"an AA" puts LSU over the top while Muhl isn't even mentioned despite the fact that both she and Van Lith were AA's (HM) last season (AP).

Rant over. I feel better.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A lot has to do with UCLA being the favorite to win the PAC12 title. P5 regular season champs are usually considered for 1 seeds.
Traditionally, ESPN gives every team but UConn the "rose colored glasses" treatment. While I agree that UConn has things to prove so do just about every team. Miles will be someone who "will make NDame a contender for the title when she returns" while Bueckers "has to show that she is the same player as before her injury". The UConn freshmen will "try to fit into the team" while Williams "will be immediate help for LSU's title defense". Van Lith,"an AA" puts LSU over the top while Muhl isn't even mentioned despite the fact that both she and Van Lith were AA's (HM) last season (AP).

I'm not sure where you're seeing any of these narratives or how UCONN doesn't receive rose colored treatment.

-Everyone has UCONN penciled in at #1 or #2 primarily because Bueckers is back.

-The narrative with LSU is that their potential is high but they're a potential ticking time bomb trying to fit all of the new pieces together.

-Notre Dame is listed as projected 3 seed which is not typically a title contender, UCONN is a 1 seed and consensus top 2 preseason.

-No one knows the status of Miles injury, so to compare her to Bueckers is apples to oranges. Bueckers has missed most of the lsat 2 years due to 2 significant left knee injuries. No one knows what injury Miles had/has.

-UCONN's freshmen aren't as highly rated as LSU's Williams, and they aren't likely to get major minutes with so much depth and experience in front of them.

-Muhl vs. Van Lith comparison isn't apt despite both receiving similar national honors a year ago. Impact transfers will always be talked about more preseason than a 4th or 5th option. Van Lith has been a closely followed player with a lot of NCAA tournament success and a huge social media following in her career.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure where you're seeing any of these narratives or how UCONN doesn't receive rose colored treatment.

-Everyone has UCONN penciled in at #1 or #2 primarily because Bueckers is back.

-The narrative with LSU is that their potential is high but they're a potential ticking time bomb trying to fit all of the new pieces together.

-Notre Dame is listed as projected 3 seed which is not typically a title contender, UCONN is a 1 seed and consensus top 2 preseason.

-No one knows the status of Miles injury, so to compare her to Bueckers is apples to oranges. Bueckers has missed most of the lsat 2 years due to 2 significant left knee injuries. No one knows what injury Miles had/has.

-UCONN's freshmen aren't as highly rated as LSU's Williams, and they aren't likely to get major minutes with so much depth and experience in front of them.

-Muhl vs. Van Lith comparison isn't apt despite both receiving similar national honors a year ago. Impact transfers will always be talked about more preseason than a 4th or 5th option. Van Lith has been a closely followed player with a lot of NCAA tournament success and a huge social media following in her career.
`
My comments were based on ESPN's pre-season top 25 article that came out sometime around the end of October, 2022. Each team was given about a half dozen sentences. The kind you will read about UConn in the UConn student paper. That's the "rosy scenario" I referred to. Except for UConn. Of their six or so sentences 5 were questions and concerns about what could go wrong. For UConn uncertainty was everywhere. When they knocked off NCSt & Texas it showed that UConn did have depth of talent, but then more injuries came. There is way more talent this year. The 2 transfers left but UConn's last 3 classes have been great.

Bueckers retuned from the 1st injury (fractured tibia) Was she healed? Did you watch the E8 game in 22? So now we are talking an ACL from August of 2022. She has been cleared to play and seems to be in the best shape of her life. Maybe you missed the recent video where she made 29 3's in a row? Miles on the other hand has had undisclosed surgery for an undisclosed knee-related injury.
So it is apples to oranges. Bueckers is back while Miles is not even practicing.

Brady & Arnold were top 5 recruits. Brady will get major minutes as the season goes on IMO. She showed up at UConn with skills that fit right into Geno's system. I watched Williams in some 3X3 and was impressed but you are right in that Arnold, Shade and Samuels aren't going to see much time. After the last 2 seasons that will be nice. And having 4-6 guards to rotate will keep the starters fresh all season.

Impact transfers will always be talked about more preseason than a 4th or 5th option.

Sure. What are they saying about Van Lith? Are they telling us about her negative assist to turnover stats? Or her mediocre 3 pt shot? Any comments on her lack of experience at pg or that her size made her a defensive liability at Louisville? When Juhasz, all B1G as a soph and a junior transfered to UConn there was no ESPN front page article and Juhasz played 2 years without much fanfare. She is now a starter in Minn. Same thing with Senechal. ESPN barely noticed her. She didn't even get an honorable mention as an AA and yet was a 1st round pick. Where was the interest for those two?

I'm only pointing out that ESPN focuses on what could go wrong when it comes to UConn and the opposite for the rest of wcbb.

The ESPN preseason top 25 will be out in 5 or 6 weeks and we'll see.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
`
My comments were based on ESPN's pre-season top 25 article that came out sometime around the end of October, 2022. Each team was given about a half dozen sentences. The kind you will read about UConn in the UConn student paper. That's the "rosy scenario" I referred to. Except for UConn. Of their six or so sentences 5 were questions and concerns about what could go wrong. For UConn uncertainty was everywhere. When they knocked off NCSt & Texas it showed that UConn did have depth of talent, but then more injuries came. There is way more talent this year. The 2 transfers left but UConn's last 3 classes have been great.

Bueckers retuned from the 1st injury (fractured tibia) Was she healed? Did you watch the E8 game in 22? So now we are talking an ACL from August of 2022. She has been cleared to play and seems to be in the best shape of her life. Maybe you missed the recent video where she made 29 3's in a row? Miles on the other hand has had undisclosed surgery for an undisclosed knee-related injury.
So it is apples to oranges. Bueckers is back while Miles is not even practicing.

Brady & Arnold were top 5 recruits. Brady will get major minutes as the season goes on IMO. She showed up at UConn with skills that fit right into Geno's system. I watched Williams in some 3X3 and was impressed but you are right in that Arnold, Shade and Samuels aren't going to see much time. After the last 2 seasons that will be nice. And having 4-6 guards to rotate will keep the starters fresh all season.

Sure. What are they saying about Van Lith? Are they telling us about her negative assist to turnover stats? Or her mediocre 3 pt shot? Any comments on her lack of experience at pg or that her size made her a defensive liability at Louisville? When Juhasz, all B1G as a soph and a junior transfered to UConn there was no ESPN front page article and Juhasz played 2 years without much fanfare. She is now a starter in Minn. Same thing with Senechal. ESPN barely noticed her. She didn't even get an honorable mention as an AA and yet was a 1st round pick. Where was the interest for those two?

I'm only pointing out that ESPN focuses on what could go wrong when it comes to UConn and the opposite for the rest of wcbb.

None of us can forget Charlie’s article last year.

Molly Davis (transfer from Central Michigan) will give Iowa another shooter and scorer; how will mid-major Lou Lopez-Senechal’s game translate to the national stage?

As @MilfordHusky said at the time, UConn has only questions while everybody else has answers.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
`

There have been some suggestions that Miles tore her ACL but still nothing official.

Reaction Score
I’m elated Mississippi State is back with a solid prediction back in the NCAA Tournament. Coach Purcell has done a good job of bringing in talent. My concern now is getting some of the players to accept a role other than as a primary scorer.

Reaction Score
I thought Indiana was way too low, too. I think Sharnecce Currie-Jelks was one of the most valuable portal pickups. Gives them a reliable interior option not named Mackenzie Holmes. Speaking of Holmes, when is the last time we had a returning first-team AA that is still so underrated? I think they’ll be a 1 or 2-seed.

4 for Louisville is generous this far away from Christmas. I think they got some interesting pieces. Jayda Curry, Kiki Jefferson, and Nina Rickards could be an elite guard lineup. I think they got a fourth solid guard too but can’t recall the name or school. But the Ville underperformed this year and I have more questions about the program than I have since 2017.

UCLA is the least likely to be a 1 seed of the four projected here. I’m a fan of Close but I think she’s a better motivator and recruiter than she is a game coach. Utah’s gonna be really dangerous in the PAC and looking in-state I think Tara tends to do better with lower expectations than when she’s the favorite.

Implicit suggestion I’ve heard about Miles is that she’ll be back this year but is not expected until around midseason. I saw some initial speculation that was the reason the UConn matchup was moved into late January when it’s usually in early December — not sure if anyone here can confirm that. I’ve also heard Hidalgo looks great early and they’ll be ready to roll even without Miles.
Hailey Van Lith is gone, we’ll be better.

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith is gone, we’ll be better.
I think we have the potential to be better this season. As for the "underperformed" comment - yes, we lost more regular season games than normal, but a fifth straight Elite Eight looked pretty good to me. Missed the Final Four because of an otherworldly performance by Clark.

Reaction Score

LSU won't be a 1 seed even if they go undefeated. The non conference is still that bad. They will probably be a 3-4 seed as evidenced by last year committee. They will be good but still behind SC/TN in SEC play and thats not gonna cut it for seeding purposes

UCONN is running away with the title this year provided Paige or Fudd don't go out to injury.

Reaction Score
`

Totally agree with you.

Reaction Score
Pac12 is loaded with UCLA, Utah, Stanford, Arizona, and Colorado vying in the First Division. USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State, and Washington could push into the top tier with a decent road record. All of them will be tough at home for everybody. Only Cal and AZ State appear to be road gimmes but who can even say that?
I expect the top teams, including the champion, will have multiple conference losses. So how does that play with the Committee?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom