New Defensive Coordinator - Billy Crocker of Villanova | Page 2 | The Boneyard

New Defensive Coordinator - Billy Crocker of Villanova

Reaction Score
(In a non politically correct tone)

"Are you talkin' to me?" Was I implying he was not our first choice? Yes.....probably not our second choice either.

With Randy's defensive background and his wanting it "his way" I get it.

Just took a while to get a "could be ok" choice.

I agree that the DC is not as important as the OL.
Maybe Billy had to clear the move to CT with his wife??? Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
I heard the other day we had offered the job to Duncan Hines but he passed.
This seems like a reasonable next step

You missed an opportunity.

Daniel Kenneth Hines.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm guessing Crocker will also coach the DL.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine, great recruiter he'll do well
No offense @Banta55 but he can leave his 3-3-5 scheme in Philly...I saw enough of the 3-4 here under Diaco to last me a life time. I wasn't impressed on i=bit with his D when they came to the Rent a few years ago either.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ok is that a good formation in an offensive league like the AAC?
Get more corners out there?

Nobody runs one formation all the time. If you face teams that throw all the time you play more nickel. I'm sure he and Edsall will evaluate the talent and run the best scheme to fit the talent.

Reaction Score
What-the-duck*****
I think WVU ran a similar scheme. I think that scheme helps you get more speed on the field, but I doubt we would ever run that exclusively under Edsall.

Reaction Score
Nobody runs one formation all the time. If you face teams that throw all the time you play more nickel. I'm sure he and Edsall will evaluate the talent and run the best scheme to fit the talent.
He ran that scheme pretty exclusively at Villanova. I remember them playing that at least 90% of the plays when they were at Rentschler 2 years ago.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think WVU ran a similar scheme. I think that scheme helps you get more speed on the field, but I doubt we would ever run that exclusively under Edsall.

In the current pass happy Big 12 I bet lots of teams play various nickel packages on over half the plays. 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, that's just personnel driven.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He ran that scheme pretty exclusively at Villanova. I remember them playing that at least 90% of the plays when they were at Rentschler 2 years ago.
Against us that would not be smart.

Reaction Score
Villanova’s ATTACK 3-3-5 defense
If you haven’t read Football Study Hall before, it’s a goldmine of the ins and outs of football strategy. One of their more recent pieces covers the ATTACK method for deploying linebackers.

The base concept of ‘ATTACK’ is putting as many players that can raise hell blitzing behind the 2-or-3-man defensive line on the field as possible. They still need to be able to run and defend the pass, but (as we’ve seen first-hand) most of that responsibility falls to the secondary.

The Playbook: Structuring a Defense

Reaction Score
Villanova’s ATTACK 3-3-5 defense
If you haven’t read Football Study Hall before, it’s a goldmine of the ins and outs of football strategy. One of their more recent pieces covers the ATTACK method for deploying linebackers.

The base concept of ‘ATTACK’ is putting as many players that can raise hell blitzing behind the 2-or-3-man defensive line on the field as possible. They still need to be able to run and defend the pass, but (as we’ve seen first-hand) most of that responsibility falls to the secondary.

The Playbook: Structuring a Defense
The 3-3-5 is my favorite base defense. Sign me up for this hire

Reaction Score
You want to get after the QB.....Billy's defense will do that. With everybody running out of the spread, the 3-3-5 base makes sense. Blitzes can come from anywhere in this defense.
it's such a creative scheme. you know how we always end up with 'tweeners? not quite a LB not quite a safety, not quite a corner not quite a safety, etc.? Well perfect - they fit like a glove in this scheme.

Reaction Score
3-3-5 gets better athletes on the field. Seems to be a trend with these hires. Spread offense, 3-3-5 defense. I like it. Give me playmakers!
the 3-3-5 means your best players will be on the field at all times, end of story. you don't have to bring in a nickel package, you don't need to sub in edge rushers, you don't need to swap LB's - you have your 11 guys and their backups.

Reaction Score
I would hope he is not committed to one style of defense. The best coaches design their defense to best utilize the personnel on the current roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom