New Defensive Coordinator - Billy Crocker of Villanova | Page 6 | The Boneyard

New Defensive Coordinator - Billy Crocker of Villanova

Reaction Score
This thread is no longer kosher.
Terrable-Puns.png

Reaction Score
Nice Q & A article about Crocker's defense while at Villanova. This is the antithesis of bend-don't-break...sounds great...and exciting!

"Crocker utilized a 3-3-5 setup at Villanova that was predicated on a 'MAYHEM' concept."

"Put simply, it's very aggressive. You are almost always blitzing at least one linebacker, and the defensive backfield gets in on the act a lot too."

Q&A on New UConn Defensive Coordinator Billy Crocker

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Nice Q & A article about Crocker's defense while at Villanova.

"Crocker utilized a 3-3-5 setup at Villanova that was predicated on a 'MAYHEM' concept."

"Put simply, it's very aggressive. You are almost always blitzing at least one linebacker, and the defensive backfield gets in on the act a lot too."

Q&A on New UConn Defensive Coordinator Billy Crocker
Sounds like the opposite of Disastro.

Reaction Score
I think Diggs may be the primary beneficiary of this style. I do worry that we don't have the team speed to fully implement it.

Reaction Score
A high energy defense such as this is predicated on conditioning as well as speed. Couple that with HCRE's intolerance of stupid mistakes & spring practice should be tougher than Maine Corps boot camp. This team will be better for it come August.

Reaction Score
I think Diggs may be the primary beneficiary of this style. I do worry that we don't have the team speed to fully implement it.
And as speculated, this may be exactly why once Crocker arrived and saw Dickens speed on tape, HCRE really had no choice. He would never have fit Crocker's D...so they did RD a huge favor and gave him the chance to find a place where he can actually play.

Reaction Score

I think that in '17, for one year, we can make it work up front. I think your front 3 is Stapleton, Foley and Luke, with Ormsby backing up both the SSDE and possibly Foley as well, and Murphy playing some in the middle. At LB, the system is not built for Joseph but both Levenberry and Diggs have the speed to handle it. So I think the issue becomes having enough DBs to play 5 every down.

Note, however, that the front 6 I envisioned ALL graduate after the '17 season. Another reason why I think Edsall is going to be focused on 1 year of retooling and getting this program bowling, before only throwing everything out and truly rebuilding starting in '18.

Reaction Score
And as speculated, this may be exactly why once Crocker arrived and saw Dickens speed on tape, HCRE really had no choice. He would never have fit Crocker's D...so they did RD a huge favor and gave him the chance to find a place where he can actually play.

....and to Biz's post above.

I don't think it was about Dickens individually. If what we are hearing about as many as 5 recruits being desuaded, then it's about a system change and a generally unbalanced roster.

Also, Edsall was never terribly aggressive on defense. No Don Brown is he. That said, he would never have allowed a lone receiver to beat us like the kid from Cuse did. Edsall's defenses were also very physical. Not dirty, but his kids hit you and if the opportunity presents, they will put you on the sideline.

Reaction Score

I don't think it was about Dickens individually. If what we are hearing about as many as 5 recruits being desuaded, then it's about a system change and a generally unbalanced roster.

Also, Edsall was never terribly aggressive on defense. No Don Brown is he. That said, he would never have allowed a lone receiver to beat us like the kid from Cuse did. Edsall's defenses were also very physical. Not dirty, but his kids hit you and if the opportunity presents, they will put you on the sideline.

There was not a football coach in the history of football coaches who would have watched Summer be torched the way he was against Syracuse and do nothing to try to prevent it until after the game. Honestly, that was even worse than the end of the Navy game (in that that was a one time horrific mistake under pressure, as opposed to 2.5 hours and a halftime of failing to try anything else.

Reaction Score

System change prompted it...yes, no doubt, that's where his lack of speed comes in. Dickens is indeed one of those five, he just made it into a very individual situation by taking it to the media. The others, like JB, seem to be going about making the change without calling a press conference and all the drama.

Reaction Score
There was not a football coach in the history of football coaches who would have watched Summer be torched the way he was against Syracuse and do nothing to try to prevent it until after the game. Honestly, that was even worse than the end of the Navy game (in that that was a one time horrific mistake under pressure, as opposed to 2.5 hours and a halftime of failing to try anything else.

I very much wanted to believe that Diaco was going to work out. I knew that two failed coaches in a row would put is in the position that we're in now.......not good at all.

During that Cuse game it took me two plays to realize that Summers was over matched and in fairness to Summers the kid from Cuse was a terrific talent. Diaco didn't make an adjustment until well into the second half. He of defensive genius. I pretty much knew then.....

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I had forgotten how hard that was to watch. Great example of how overmatched BD was as a game coach (and it wasn't Saban on the other sideline).

Reaction Score
Will be nice to see defense sticking to what works. On number of broadcasts announcers were confused why we stayed in zone and rushed only three guys in games were we had success when we blitzed the QB. Sort of opposite what any other coach would do.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Just another case of 'square peg, round hole' Diaco. The man loved sticking with his base defense 90% of the game which allowed teams to design plays with confidence. On several occasions I called the opposing teams pass play from formation. All you had to do was see where the opposing team had managed to line up an RBs, althletic TEs or WR on one of our LBs. This would work particularly well when we stayed vanilla on D, w/o any blitzes or other forms of MAYHEM.

Reaction Score
I wonder how this relationship is with RE taking all the gear for a decision made off his DC's evaluation of a player. I hope Crocker has RE's back because he had had his name run through the mud, wringer and what ever else it could be dragged through from said player evaluation decision.

Reaction Score
If I'm an fcs coach I am wondering if this kid is going to be a problem if he isn't a starting linebacker. Do I have to deal with his mommy if he isn't getting playing time?

Btw a friend who coaches at a d3 school says it is far from unheard of for parents to call him to complain about their kid's pt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom