Nevada Game Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Nevada Game Thread

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Darn right. Complaining about refereeing whether you win or lose is ridiculous. Play well and referee's aren't a factor. Only three things matter: Did you put the ball in the basket, did you stop the other team from putting the ball in the basket, and did you play hard and with good sportsmanship.

It's NOT ridiculous. Unfortunately there have been situations where players have been hurt because refs haven't called games properly.

Reaction Score
A lot of whining about the refs for a game UConn is winning by 25. I've seen some bad calls go against Nevada too.
Well, see, here's the gripe: Lots of people will say UConn didn't play their best because they only won by 31. But if the refs swung the score by 10 points or more (which they did), then the winning margin would be 41 or more.
UConn is known for clean play and few fouls, yet tonight 14 fouls are called on the starting five players.
I like a game where all three teams play their best: the home team, the visiting team and the officiating team.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's NOT ridiculous. Unfortunately there have been situations where players have been hurt because refs haven't called games properly.
And that occasion is as rare as hen's teeth. Players are more often hurt during practice than because of bad refereeing. So let's eliminate practices. Worse, the most serious injuries occur during non contact plays. So let's eliminate non contact plays. Ludicrous.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gabby's teammates were feeding her in the first quarter. After that she scored on her own. Great night for Gabulous. A night she will never forget.............neither will Kia Nurse.

Reaction Score
Well, see, here's the gripe: Lots of people will say UConn didn't play their best because they only won by 31. But if the refs swung the score by 10 points or more (which they did), then the winning margin would be 41 or more.
UConn is known for clean play and few fouls, yet tonight 14 fouls are called on the starting five players.
I like a game where all three teams play their best: the home team, the visiting team and the officiating team.
I was only listening, not watching. But: was Geno visibly upset about the refereeing? If not, he was probably figuring that this is how it was going to be and just play through it. In 12 hrs they will have landed; in 16 hrs or less they'll be back at Storrs. MOV makes absolutely no difference to anyone at this point. Who remembers their MOV from games even a year ago? They're on to Notre Dame!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Darn right. Complaining about refereeing whether you win or lose is ridiculous. Play well and referee's aren't a factor. Only three things matter: Did you put the ball in the basket, did you stop the other team from putting the ball in the basket, and did you play hard and with good sportsmanship.
I have witnessed many games where teams have played well and the ref's actually took the game from certain schools, both in high school and college. I have seen games that have been very one sided when it came to the way they were officiated. I had no problem with the officiating in this game. I'm responding to your third sentence.

Reaction Score
I was only listening, not watching. But: was Geno visibly upset about the refereeing? If not, he was probably figuring that this is how it was going to be and just play through it. In 12 hrs they will have landed; in 16 hrs or less they'll be back at Storrs. They're on to Notre Dame!
No he did not seem bothered by it. Geno wasn't going to go nuts about this game. Nevada was doing the team a bit of a favor to begin with, so I didn't expect that he'd let the score get too out of hand anyway.

Reaction Score
One thing I am feeling good is we have a "bench" playing good, from Megan to AEH to Irwin in the last 3 games.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't think you can watch a game without seeing some bad calls. It did not effect the outcome of the game and it didn't get Nevada back in the game. The closest they got in the 2nd half was 18 or 19 I believe. The game was never in doubt.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nevada was doing the team a bit of a favor to begin with, so I didn't expect that he'd let the score get too out of hand anyway.

I don't think that final scoreline was a result of UConn trying not to embarrass Nevada. The bench barely played all night.

Reaction Score
I don't think that final scoreline was a result of UConn trying not to embarrass Nevada. The bench barely played all night.
I know but Geno wasn't exactly going out of his way to yell at the team or even attempt to refocus them. It was basically a whatever game. They won, no one got hurt, Gabby got to see friends and family, and it's back to the east coast in the morning with a 6-0 record.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
One problem that I see with refs in almost every sport, they will blow their whistle if they think a foul or penalty occurred. How many times does the ref that is not closest to the play make the call?

Being closest to the play doesn’t mean you have the best view of that given play. And if they think a foul has occurred, then by all means call it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
last thought, the announcers doing the telecast were really good

Not exactly my view: when the Nevada kids were hustling, scrapping and catching up, most of the talk was about UConn dominance.

Call and speak about what's in front of your eyes.

Reaction Score
I know but Geno wasn't exactly going out of his way to yell at the team or even attempt to refocus them. It was basically a whatever game. They won, no one got hurt, Gabby got to see friends and family, and it's back to the east coast in the morning with a 6-0 record.
Reporter: "What are your thoughts on how the team played tonight?
Geno (in Belichickian voice): "We won and no one got hurt."

Reporter: "What did you see tonight that you'll need to work on?"
Geno: "It's on to Notre Dame."

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I know I say it after almost every game, but Napheesa still doesn't look like herself. Think she's shot 50% in one game so far. Shooting form looks awkward compared to the smoothness of last year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I know I say it after almost every game, but Napheesa still doesn't look like herself. Think she's shot 50% in one game so far. Shooting form looks awkward compared to the smoothness of last year.

She looked like her normal self against UCLA. Pretty quiet tonight.

Reaction Score
Any chance this game will make the replay reel or will the narrow ownership be a problem?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Just noticed Nevada's next game is against Oregon St. in a tournament in Hawaii. If they play like they did in the 2nd half tonight, they have a chance of being competitive in that game.

Reaction Score
so much for our radio crew!
Camara did NOT play...Trust me, I was there....courtside...she was in uniform as she has been since the
Maryland game...but is NOT ready yet....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Karping about refing ("reffing"?) is pointless I know and some fan bases make it a religious observance to explain teams that don't measure up, BUT it was obvious that phantom calls were made against our players and Nevada players tried to use Huskies as bowling pins with no call. The game we love deserves better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom