ND to ACC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ND to ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wonder if this will help or hurt ND in terms of recruiting. Not that they need any help in that regard...

I hate ND. Always have, always will. Their arrogance and elitism - wanting to call the shots - just annoys me.
s!

With Notre Dame's arrogance and elitism.... and UNC's arrogance and elitism.... all the ACC needs to do to corner that market is to add the Univ of Texas :D

Of course Duke doesnt fall into that category :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well, as I said before, this puts UConn in a position that is not entirely unlike that of LaTech, and I respectfully disagree with the poster, 'way back when, who said it wasn't the same. Of course it's not the same, but it is similar, in the sense that UConn will play a bunch of blowout league games and, in the years when Rutgers or someone else has a strong team, a couple of somewhat close ones, but will be essentially unchallenged locally. They will then have to be tested out of conference, and rely on those games to prepare the team for NCAA combat. Let's ask LaTech how that worked out for them, long-term, eh?

It also puts UConn in a much more difficult position in terms of recruits. Okay, lets see: You can go to UConn and play your league schedule against Seton Hall, PC, Villanova, South Florida, Rutgers and that ilk, or you can go to the ACC and play against Duke, North Carolina, NC State, BC, Maryland and GaTech. Someone please help me out here. Why is the Big East a better place to be, particulaly down the line if Geno retires? I'm not saying UConn won't get some decent recruits. I'm suggesting that unless something is done, UConn's competitive position is reduced by, say 50%. I'm not kidding, folks. In a few years, UConn could be the Gonzaga of New England. And while I admire Gonzaga and its coach, I am certain none of us want to see that kind of a fall.

If the UConn AD and his folks are not n the phone, casting their nets, they are insane.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
A friend of mine very familiar with Syracuse athletics told me quite awhile ago that most of the ACC schools wanted to invite UConn but the idea was vetoed by BC. Does anyone know if in fact ACC rules allow a single school that veto power?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A friend of mine very familiar with Syracuse athletics told me quite awhile ago that most of the ACC schools wanted to invite UConn but the idea was vetoed by BC. Does anyone know if in fact ACC rules allow a single school that veto power?

No. I do believe it has to be 75 percent approval. During the original wave of expansion in 2003 I think..... Duke and UNC voted against expanding and adding VPI, BC and Miami.......but the vote was 7-2 for. When the first talk of expansion included Syracuse instead of VPI....... Syracuse didnt get the 7 votes required.... UVA joined UNC and Duke in opposing adding the Orange.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, as I said before, this puts UConn in a position that is not entirely unlike that of LaTech, and I respectfully disagree with the poster, 'way back when, who said it wasn't the same. Of course it's not the same, but it is similar, in the sense that UConn will play a bunch of blowout league games and, in the years when Rutgers or someone else has a strong team, a couple of somewhat close ones, but will be essentially unchallenged locally. They will then have to be tested out of conference, and rely on those games to prepare the team for NCAA combat. Let's ask LaTech how that worked out for them, long-term, eh?

It also puts UConn in a much more difficult position in terms of recruits. Okay, lets see: You can go to UConn and play your league schedule against Seton Hall, PC, Villanova, South Florida, Rutgers and that ilk, or you can go to the ACC and play against Duke, North Carolina, NC State, BC, Maryland and GaTech. Someone please help me out here. Why is the Big East a better place to be, particulaly down the line if Geno retires? I'm not saying UConn won't get some decent recruits. I'm suggesting that unless something is done, UConn's competitive position is reduced by, say 50%. I'm not kidding, folks. In a few years, UConn could be the Gonzaga of New England. And while I admire Gonzaga and its coach, I am certain none of us want to see that kind of a fall.

If the UConn AD and his folks are not n the phone, casting their nets, they are insane.
Or, instead of asking La Tech how it worked for them, you could maybe, you know, ask Geno. Or have you forgotten that for much of UConn's dominant run, the Big East absolutely sucked in WBB?

It is hilarious that you're bringing up a bunch of schools in the ACC that either a) are terrible (seriously, playing BC is going to be a draw for recruits?), or are b) teams UConn plays routinely and massacres routinely. Not to mention Baylor, Stanford, ND still in all likelihood, Penn State, A&M...I mean, have you seen our OOC schedule this season?

So basically, you're worrying about when Geno retires that we'll be in a crappy conference. Well, this is ridiculous to worry about given a) Geno isn't retiring anytime in the short or intermediate term, and b) that this conference will be "similar" to La Tech. Really? I wasn't aware that the Sun Belt conference had teams like Georgetown, St Johns, Louisville, Rutgers, and DePaul.

I mean, worry about whatever you want, but I'll be sleeping fine at night.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Miami, BC, VATech, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, ND, and reportedly UL still to depart that would have been a decent conference, oh! wait, it used to be one. Now it is just dust in the wind.

Reaction Score
Just heard on the radio that East Carolina, App State, JMU & Delaware have all inquired about replacing Notre Dame. The Big East will stay alive and well if on of them comes.

Reaction Score

Word is that the football powers (Florida St, Clemson, & others) are opposed to adding UConn, as it further weakens a weak football league -- a league which is already taking a hit by adding Syracuse & Pitt.

Reaction Score
Word is that the football powers (Florida St, Clemson, & others) are opposed to adding UConn, as it further weakens a weak football league -- a league which is already taking a hit by adding Syracuse & Pitt.
Yeah, and now that it will cost them $50 million to leave the ACC, there is little hope that they will jump to the SEC to eliminate that road block.

Warde Manual and Susan Herbst inherited a mess left by an incompetent BE commissioner who didn't have the foresight to make an assertive move when each domino fell. Let's see if they can make lemonade out of lemons - I just am not sure UConn has enough sugar to offer.

Reaction Score
Voice of reason time - I don't know what is coming over me. I guess the doom and gloom is exhausing me so I am choosing to take the more optimistic road. At least for today.

UConn was a nothing program until Geno came along. In fact, Big East women's basketball was a nothing conference. UConn slowly established dominance over the years until today they are widely recognized as one of the elite and best programs in history. Along the way, other BE programs developed and became ranked programs, sometimes even top ranked programs: Notre Dame, Rutgers, Louisville, WVU, Syracuse (to a point), and Miami and VaTech and BC back in the day. This is in large part due to playing UConn regularly which forced these programs to get better.

We have a lot of new programs coming into the BE. Many of their women's basketball programs are probably better right now than the perennial cellar dwellers Seton Hall and Providence (though once these programs were the cream of the crop in the BE). And, the new programs will get better when they start playing UConn. Just like Rutgers did. And Notre Dame did. And Louisville did, etc.

It will not happen overnight, and yeah, for a while it is going to be ugly with lopsided losses and UConn likely skating mostly unchallenged to the regular season and tournament championship most years, with Rutgers and Louisville putting up the biggest fights (until one or both become the next dominoes to fall). But, eventually, over time, the new programs will get better simply by playing UConn on a regular basis.

Football? Let's not even go there. I am not feeling optimistic on that front but this is the WBB forum, so let me keep my positivity in tact here.

(However, if Geno comes out and says he is retiring or going to another program, that splash you see in the Connecticut River below the Bulkley Bridge will be me!)

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Look, we should move to the ACC. And if we can't, we schedule every single top 15 team at least once. Play double headers, the BIG EAST game, followed by the Stanford game. That could work.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
UConn was a nothing program until Geno came along. In fact, Big East women's basketball was a nothing conference. UConn slowly established dominance over the years until today they are widely recognized as one of the elite and best programs in history. Along the way, other BE programs developed and became ranked programs, sometimes even top ranked programs: Notre Dame, Rutgers, Louisville, WVU, Syracuse (to a point), and Miami and VaTech and BC back in the day. This is in large part due to playing UConn regularly which forced these programs to get better.

Exactly, and worth repeating. Neither UConn nor the Big East were highly regarded in the 80's for good reason. There's no question that the SEC was the dominant confernce in the early years of the NCAA tournament.

Geno changed all that, some of it personally, and some of it by example. He famously said it wasn't his job to play down to the competition, it was their job to play up, and many of the BE teams responded.

In the last dozen or so years, no other conference has as many wins in the NCAA tournament as the BE. Admittedly, the BE is, or has been a slightly larger conference than some others, so raw wins may be an unfair statistic. But the Big East has a better win percentage in NCAA tournament play over the last dozen or so year than any other conference. Regular season win percentages are tricky, because you have to consider schedule strength, but if you look at the post-season only you are all playing in the same pool of the 64 teams selected. The Big East wins two out of three games, not just UConn wins, that includes every invited BE team. That's a better win percentage than any other conference.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just heard on the radio that East Carolina, App State, JMU & Delaware have all inquired about replacing Notre Dame. The Big East will stay alive and well if on of them comes.
You are kidding, right?

Reaction Score
Maybe the dumbest thing DiMauro ever wrote and that is tough to measure.
He sure resonated with me a few times. ;^) You can tell he's from BCU though. Where are BCU's bowls going to be now?

Reaction Score
Maybe the dumbest thing DiMauro ever wrote and that is tough to measure.

He needs to calm down. Dislike ND or not they are doing the exact same thing every single school that has switched conferences in the last 10yrs have done...looking out for their own best interests. They may have a few more bargaining chips, but that's what comes when your primary team has a high market value even without a high athletic value. That Yankee Stadium game is still in place with the ACC. If ND wants to play there again...they'd get the invitation before UConn or Rutgers.

Reaction Score
You are kidding, right?
he must be kidding as i think they are all AA schools. anyways, i really did LOL when i read that. by the way, those speculating about the possibility of maryland getting poached by the B1G are not all wet. Maryland was one of only 2 schools to vote against raising the exit fee to $50 million...Florida State was the other.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UCONN needs to go somewhere besides the sinking ship that is the Big East and fast. Sorry, but UCONN WBB already forced an entire conference to get better. In the era of the super conference, I don't even think one of the top two WCBB programs of all time can pull that off. UCONN, if it doesn't get out fast is going to have some major $$$ problems within it's athletic department, IMO. My first choice all along has been going to the ACC, but I think the Big 10 should be looked at as well. I know we are a WCBB board, but we are a big fish in a small pond that pours into a VERY LARGE lake. If UCONN doesn't get to a major power confernce, I fear in 10 years, UCONN could very well be fighting an uphill battle and nothing will ever be like it is now.

UConn WBB is safe in any league and any conference. Heck it could go independent. That is the scope of what Geno has built. UConn WBB is like ND football, well except that it is actually successful. No worries for this board. Now, the rest of the althletic department...they've got a lot to be concerned about.

Reaction Score
UConn WBB is safe in any league and any conference. Heck it could go independent. That is the scope of what Geno has built. UConn WBB is like ND football, well except that it is actually successful. No worries for this board. Now, the rest of the althletic department...they've got a lot to be concerned about.

Until the WCBB program starts drawing a $15 million TV contract, it is NOTHING like ND football.

ND = NBC pays ~ $15m to air ~6 games/year
CT = SNY pays <$1.5 m to air ~20 games/ year

Reaction Score
My apologies if this has been mentioned before (10 pages of posts is a little much for me to wade through), but does Calhoun's retirement affect UConn's chances of going to the ACC? IIRC, Boston College was the main obstacle to UConn getting in before, and I believe there was some bad blood between JC and someone at BC.

Reaction Score
BC may not be the only stumbling block. Don't forget UConn was a part of the lawsuit against Miami, VT and BC. If Shalala is still in charge at Miami, don't expect them to be willing to forgive and forget. Now that DeFilippo has retired, BC may not be as stubborn in their refusal to consider UConn. Not sure VT has much bad blood for us.

I think the fact that there is a post-season ban for men's basketball due to academic issues could be a problem right now. Even though Jim Calhoun has retired, the ACC is a bit snobish about the academics of the institution in general and the athletics programs as well.

There are certain fan bases in the ACC that would go ballistic if UConn were to join. Specifically Georgia Tech. I check their football board periodically, and the last BE program they would want to join the ACC is UConn. Some of it is understandable, since UConn did beat them in men's basketball for the NC in 2004. But the intensity of some of their fans against UConn is a little baffling. They think UConn is pathetic in football, and that both Calhoun and Geno cheated their way to success.

Reaction Score
My apologies if this has been mentioned before (10 pages of posts is a little much for me to wade through), but does Calhoun's retirement affect UConn's chances of going to the ACC? IIRC, Boston College was the main obstacle to UConn getting in before, and I believe there was some bad blood between JC and someone at BC.

The biggest obstacle is that the big FB schools like Fla St & Clemson don't want to add another mediocre FB school. UConn FB is improving to be sure, but no one is going to say that adding UConn helps the ACC's football profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom