ND to ACC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND to ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
At this point, geography is out the window. Why not UConn to the Pac-12? If SDSU can join the Big East...

...only partially facetious here, the Pac-12 has problems from an expansion standpoint. I'm sure its first choice would be to add Texas, OU, OK State, and Texas Tech like they tried to do a couple of times, but failing that, they're pretty locked in if they want to be restricted geographically. Lord knows, I'd hate to see the cost of sending non-revenue teams to Pullman, WA, but that may well be better than being part of a moribund conference.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
At this point, geography is out the window. Why not UConn to the Pac-12? If SDSU can join the Big East...

...only partially facetious here, the Pac-12 has problems from an expansion standpoint. I'm sure its first choice would be to add Texas, OU, OK State, and Texas Tech like they tried to do a couple of times, but failing that, they're pretty locked in if they want to be restricted geographically. Lord knows, I'd hate to see the cost of sending non-revenue teams to Pullman, WA, but that may well be better than being part of a moribund conference.
I'm not sure - being on the spot - that the PAC12 wants to expand at this point. If they did, it would never be significantly out of region - certainly no further east than Texas.

The conference just started its own TV network, has a wonderful history in olympic sports, has a unique and cost-savings travel schedule, etc.

I keep saying BIG for both RU and Connecticut. I don't particularly think the loss of Notre Dame by itself is a death knell, but more indicative of the on-going problems of the BE, incidently.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is not just ND, it has been Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, BC, VA Tech. The conference is not even a shadow of its old self.

HGN

Reaction Score
Sad news indeed.........What's so sad is that it's ALL about football , and ND is sending all of its sports programs to the ACC WITHOUT its football team. Obviously , the ACC is hoping that the football team will eventually follow the rest of the sports. It use to be about geographical location , but now its about the mighty $$Dollar of football.

I just hope UConn doesn't give in to temptation to follow suit and join the ACC. I love the BE vs ACC conference rivalry games. Love seeing UConn beat the likes of Duke , NC , and all the rest.

Reaction Score
I just had a scary thought, if the ACC doesn't take UConn what if they went after Geno? Is it a possibility that he might bolt to a better league and a pay bump? Talks of Calhoun retiring if Geno decided to bounce it would be an entirely new look on campus. Naw, not a chance Geno wouldn't leave, would he??? I would bet however that a couple ACC teams may test the waters.

Reaction Score
ODU's or La Tech's situation vs. UConn's are simply not analogous.

Not entirely.

First, Geno _is_ going to retire at some point. If the BE becomes a 2nd tier conference, then UConn offers neither a great conference nor a hall-of-fame coach.

Second, part of the issue with being from a mid-major is money. The stronger conferences generate so much $$ , particularly in football, that upgrading facilities & paying lots for coaches becomes a drop in the bucket. Eventually, schools from smaller conferences can't keep up.

Men's basketball has started to come full circle -- Gonzaga has finally shown that a mid-major school can succeed on a long-term basis. But it's still very difficult.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I just had a scary thought, if the ACC doesn't take UConn what if they went after Geno? Is it a possibility that he might bolt to a better league and a pay bump? Talks of Calhoun retiring if Geno decided to bounce it would be an entirely new look on campus. Naw, not a chance Geno wouldn't leave, would he??? I would bet however that a couple ACC teams may test the waters.
Not happening. At least for four years. He won't do any better than Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson. And he is already the highest paid coach in WCBB. And a god in Connecticut.

Leave because ND left? Not happening.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Worrying about Geno retiring is kinda like worrying about the 2020 recruiting class.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Because of what ND did today, I hope Mercedes Russell chooses Louisville. Geno and staff need to see Louisville get stronger to have them replace ND as the National Televised Big East conference game. Otherwise I don't see any nationally televised Big East games. UConn will be nationally televised, but they will all be out of conference games.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
When does it go into effect? Not this year, of course. Right?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just got online for the first time today, and saw this news.....

ohno.gif

needless to say...... I will need a few moments to process this

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Not entirely.

First, Geno _is_ going to retire at some point. If the BE becomes a 2nd tier conference, then UConn offers neither a great conference nor a hall-of-fame coach.

Second, part of the issue with being from a mid-major is money. The stronger conferences generate so much $$ , particularly in football, that upgrading facilities & paying lots for coaches becomes a drop in the bucket. Eventually, schools from smaller conferences can't keep up.

Men's basketball has started to come full circle -- Gonzaga has finally shown that a mid-major school can succeed on a long-term basis. But it's still very difficult.
You've quoted the first part of my post, but the rest of it pretty much agrees with you.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Not following. Geno makes $1.6m or so annually and is going to sign a new contract in a year or so worth a lot more than that. Who exactly in the ACC is going to pay a WBB coach that kind of a salary?

Reaction Score
Mixed feelings as a ND fan. It makes the most sense for what is most likely to happen at some point...ND joining a conference in football. There is an aging alumni base that would sooner close the school than join a conference, which is ridiculous. It has to seem more palatable to them to regain some traditional rivals in BC, Miami, etc. The B1G was never going to happen for numerous reasons. The landscape of the ACC seems to match ND more than large land grant schools of the B1G. The ACC is strong in Olympic sports that matter to ND like soccer and lacrosse and has zero impact on hockey.
As a ND women's basketball fan I'm not pleased at all. The first thought in my mind when I heard was "What about playing UConn?". McGraw was careful to acknowledge in her press statement today that ND had the BE and the rivalries (read UConn and UConn only) to thank for their progression in the sport. It still may turn out to be better for both schools. ND and UConn's recruiting classes this past year and upcoming years were still headed toward potentially 4 games a year. That's too much and too often. Think the days of home and homes against non-conference opponents are over, but if not that's one series I'd love to see.

Reaction Score
Because of what ND did today, I hope Mercedes Russell chooses Louisville. Geno and staff need to see Louisville get stronger to have them replace ND as the National Televised Big East conference game.

There are regular rumors that Louisville is going to the Big12.

Reaction Score
When does it go into effect? Not this year, of course. Right?

Supposed to be 2015, but they surely will try to negotiate for something sooner.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
ACC will likely add one of the BE Catholics.

B10 knew it wasnt getting ND anytime soon. But it still could someday. This doesnt change much for them.

Not likely, since we already did (Boston College).

Per insiders, the top candidates to be the 16th school in the ACC are Penn State, Rutgers, and UConn. There might be two, as the Big Ten is considering poaching Maryland.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Sad news indeed.........What's so sad is that it's ALL about football , and ND is sending all of its sports programs to the ACC WITHOUT its football team. Obviously , the ACC is hoping that the football team will eventually follow the rest of the sports. It use to be about geographical location , but now its about the mighty $$Dollar of football.

I just hope UConn doesn't give in to temptation to follow suit and join the ACC. I love the BE vs ACC conference rivalry games. Love seeing UConn beat the likes of Duke , NC , and all the rest.

No, what is truly sad is the multiple Big East Commissioners have been caught unprepared, first with BC, Miami, and VaTech leaving, then with Syracuse and Pitt leaving, and now with Notre Dame leaving. One would thing the Big East Commissioners would learn to be proactive, but no such luck.

And if you love the BE v. ACC conference rivalry games and reference UConn playing Duke, UNC, etc., why would you not want UConn to join the ACC?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I realize that Louisville is probably the next team to leave the Big East. However, as of today they're still in the Big East and want them to get stronger and worry about tomorrow.

Besides if Mercedes goes to Louisville, it means she doesn't to Tenn so its a win no matter what happens.

There are regular rumors that Louisville is going to the Big12.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I retract my statement regarding the Big XII screwing the pooch. ND is demanding access to the ACC's bowls without being a member of that league. They made the same demand (apparently) of the Big XII.

Bruce FeldmanþBFeldmanCBS
ACC's Notre Dame rules: Irish only need be w/i 1 win of an eligible ACC team to get picked over that ACC school..Ouch!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Wow! Huge news! On the national sports' websites, most people are remarking how insignificant this story is, as Notre Dame football isn't completely included in the deal, but as a WCBB fan, this is huge! For Notre Dame's WBB, it's fine, as the ACC has many good WBB teams, but it certainly sucks that ND will be losing its rivalry with UConn. Obviously this decision was not made with WCBB in mind, but Muffet cannot be happy with this news. There is no better measuring stick in WCBB than UConn, and now ND won't be in their 'qualifying heats.'

I wonder how Geno feels about this. On one hand, he has been very critical of ND for only partially joining the Big East, so he could be happy that their equivocation has ended. On the other hand, the BE just got weaker, as ND had been the 2nd best BE team in the 2000's, especially coming on strong recently. I hope UConn gets an ACC invitation, as that would clearly make the ACC the premiere WCBB conference. Shocking and sad news.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
"while it is too early to speculate on what our schedule will look like in future seasons, we would eagerly entertain the opportunity to continue our longstanding rivalry with Connecticut on a non-conference basis." Muffet McGraw

That's good news!

Reaction Score
Forgive my bluntness... but Screw Notre Dame!

I hope that Dick Blumenthal is suing Notre Dame and the ACC like he did when BC left. Oh wait he is the senator now... well our new AG better sue. And Dannel Malloy should chime in too

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"while it is too early to speculate on what our schedule will look like in future seasons, we would eagerly entertain the opportunity to continue our longstanding rivalry with Connecticut on a non-conference basis." Muffet McGraw

That's good news!
I would not be surprised if Geno gave ND the cold shoulder. Not as a statement against Muffet but in light of his earlier comments regarding ND football failing to support the BE in a time of crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom