ND to ACC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ND to ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Or, instead of asking La Tech how it worked for them, you could maybe, you know, ask Geno. Or have you forgotten that for much of UConn's dominant run, the Big East absolutely sucked in WBB?

It is hilarious that you're bringing up a bunch of schools in the ACC that either a) are terrible (seriously, playing BC is going to be a draw for recruits?), or are b) teams UConn plays routinely and massacres routinely. Not to mention Baylor, Stanford, ND still in all likelihood, Penn State, A&M...I mean, have you seen our OOC schedule this season?

So basically, you're worrying about when Geno retires that we'll be in a crappy conference. Well, this is ridiculous to worry about given a) Geno isn't retiring anytime in the short or intermediate term, and b) that this conference will be "similar" to La Tech. Really? I wasn't aware that the Sun Belt conference had teams like Georgetown, St Johns, Louisville, Rutgers, and DePaul.

I mean, worry about whatever you want, but I'll be sleeping fine at night.

Reaction Score
Well, the issue is not how things are -- and I think you've done a reasonably accurate job of describing that -- but how they appear. And in the hyped up world that recruits live in, this change constitutes a not very good thing. It not only does not help UConn, it hurts UConn. Sure there are some crappy teams in the ACC. You mention BC. Well, put BC up against Seton Hall, for example, to name a crappy team in the Big East. BC, at least as now constituted, wins every time. I'm not saying the ACC is better top to bottom, but I have to believe a recruit will want to play NC, Duke, Md and some of those others rather than So. Fla., Villanova, PC and Seton Hall. And with teams scattered from here to West Armpit and back, I question whether the Big East will fall apart, anyway.

Reaction Score
Just heard on the radio that East Carolina, App State, JMU & Delaware have all inquired about replacing Notre Dame. The Big East will stay alive and well if on of them comes.
C'mon folks. Please use emoticons to help us judge the sense of what you're saying. Here's a statement whose author must be making a joke, but I just cannot tell for sure. I mean, Appalachian State? Really?

Reaction Score
Losing ND is one thing but overall the league is in for a lot of change. WVU is a pretty good program that is gone for the Big 12 and will be replaced by Temple. Temple could see improved recruiting now they are in a better conference and there is talent in Philly they could get. Then you add Central Florida, Houston, Memphis, SMU and that is where the talent dilution will come in. With more teams you are going to get less marquee matchups and the chances of a true home and home against a Louisville or Rutgers is hard to come by. The BE is a conference of change right now and even some of the long time members have some question marks.
Providence hired a new head coach and really they can't get any worse.
Georgetown hired a new head coach because their old one bolted for Auburn. On surface that doesn't look good when a good BE team loses a coach to an Auburn team that has struggled but Auburn has BCS football and $ while Georgetown does not. Georgetown hired a coach who on paper does not look that impressive with no head coaching experience ever.
St. John's lost KBA and replaced her just like Georgetown with an assistant without much head coaching experience. Providence should be improved but really I don't know if Georgetown and St. John's will be as good as they were the last few years and that could hurt the depth of the conference.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
C'mon folks. Please use emoticons to help us judge the sense of what you're saying. Here's a statement whose author must be making a joke, but I just cannot tell for sure. I mean, Appalachian State? Really?
Some things are clearly funny/sarcastic. This made me laugh out loud. I think the emoticon would have spoiled the effect, like a stand-up laughing at his/her own joke, or something. Another subtlety of online communication.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Is it bad news for Uconn? Doesn't this make for an unbalanced basketball league? Are they looking for a second team? And does this move the Big 10 off their spot having lost the jewel they were hoping to get?

There are a lot of assumptions being made about the B1G wanting Notre Dame so badly. When was the last time you read a report from a substantive source about them being courted by the B1G?

One of the B1G's absolute deal-breaker requirements is that all members must be a member of the Association of American Universities. Notre Dame is not a member.

This article from June 2010 generated when Nebraska was accepted into the B1G outlines things very well.

Here is a list of the Association of American Universities' members - membership in which is by invitation only.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of assumptions being made about the B1G wanting Notre Dame so badly.

EVERY conference wants Notre Dame.
Some of them, however, would only take ND on an all-in basis.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Again, assumptions. Notre Dame doesn't meet one of the B1G's requirements - a substantive one. Could they join the Association of American Universities? I don't know. All I know is that they are not a member.

Could the B1G waive that requirement? They could. Would they waive that requirement? They never have. Notre Dame remains a legend in their own mind.

Reaction Score
Again, assumptions. Notre Dame doesn't meet one of the B1G's requirements - a substantive one. Could they join the Association of American Universities? I don't know. All I know is that they are not a member.

Could the B1G waive that requirement? They could. Would they waive that requirement? They never have. Notre Dame remains a legend in their own mind.

The Big 10 offered ND membership in the 90s, and ND declined.

Reaction Score

Didn't Nebraska get removed from the AAU? The AAU is about research... ND's not a research institution.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Didn't Nebraska get removed from the AAU? The AAU is about research... ND's not a research institution.
Thanks for that catch. I knew Nebraska was a member of the AAU when they joined but hadn't realized they were removed in April 2011. Nebraska remains one of the best research schools out there for agriculture but clearly that didn't carry enough weight with the AAU.

Re: research reputations - it's interesting how perspective works. Nebraska's external research funding for 2008-2009 (last year I could find quickly) was $229. 4M (link). In FY 2011 Notre Dame's research funding 'topped the $100M mark for the second consecutive year...' (link)

But I digressed from the point I was trying to make in my original point on this thread (and perhaps that post was a clear as mud). My point is that the B1G wasn't actively pursuing Notre Dame when ND decided to join the ACC. So, ND's decision has no bearing on what moves the B1G makes in the future.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score

Notre Dame has been awarded 44 NEH fellowships between 1999 and 2011—more than any other university in the country.

Reaction Score
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ska-chancellor-harvey-perlman-big-ten-members

An article from 2010 that mentions both UConn and Notre Dame with possible B1G invites. Notre Dame's invite wasn't contingent on AAU status because of other strengths. Did some brief research and it seems the push for ND to become a research institution is fairly recent around 2007. Plead some ignorance here but always assumed a medical school was something most AAU schools had in common that helps foster research departments. ND doesn't have a school of medicine of any form.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Princeton has no medical school.

Notre Dame is committed to becoming a great research university, and you will see major changes taking place now and in the future, in the sciences, the arts, and in the humanities.

See for example:

http://harpercancer.nd.edu/

Anyway, this is a digression, and I apologize.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How well did the ND WCBB fans travel to Hartford for the Big East tourneys?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They don't have to travel. ND fans are everywhere, don't you know? Just ask them.

I dont recall ever meeting any ND fans... and if I have, they didnt leave much of an impression on me. I guess I'll find out in a few years how many ND fans reside in the Piedmont of NC.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I dont recall ever meeting any ND fans... and if I have, they didnt leave much of an impression on me. I guess I'll find out in a few years how many ND fans reside in the Piedmont of NC.
They're the ones with their turned up pointy shoes.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
ND is a great University, its fans are many and passionate, and the loss for UCONN and The Little East is significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom