ND Student Paper: Put UConn in ACC | The Boneyard

ND Student Paper: Put UConn in ACC

Reaction Score
These articles are a joke. Uconn is undefeated in the aac since joining and ND only lost 2 games since joining the acc. I doubt any acc team would beat uconn as they haven't for the last decade. People forget that the bigeast was weak for a long time until uconn started winning and made the other teams better until the conference became dominate. The aac will become very good in time as the teams try to catch up to uconn.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
It's a myopic and self-serving view, but typical for ND because of its students, fans and alums overblown sense of self-importance. The whole notion that Connecticut should join the ACC, so maybe, just maybe, they could lose a conference game every once in a while is ridiculous. If the author had done some research he'd know Connecticut's record against ACC teams isn't much worse than against that of AAC teams. Ask Coach P. at Duke if she wants Connecticut in the ACC. I wonder if Klaus knows that ND has only lost 2 conference games since it joined the ACC. Someone should ask Klaus as well, what conference the ND Football team is a member of, since he believes conference membership is that important.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To Ryan Klaus I would say why can't your team beat UConn, or South Carolina, or Baylor, or Ohio St, or Florida St, or DePaul, or Maryland, or or or.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I enjoyed it, and lets face it, we all devotedly hope to join one of the P5 partly because of revenue but also because of the WCBB scene. Would UConn domination have occurred in any of the P5, of course, but he really isn't saying it wouldn't - just that the games would be more competitive with the 'chance' of a loss along the way, which is about what we had in the old BE. It is similar to what Baylor, ND, and SC experience currently in their conferences, and what Stanford during their dominant run experienced in the P10 or TN in the SEC.
And will the AAC continue to improve, especially with the spur of UConn's presence, yes. But that is going to take a number of years to manifest itself, and of course the money for the other schools is still going to be pretty tight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's a stunningly silly, simplistic and ill researched article, but not all that different than the offerings of other student articles.

Had the author looked at UConn's OOC schedule and he or she would realize that the path hasn't been particular easy. Likewise, a look at our SOS during the streak would show the same.

This sentence was priceless: "While there are certainly monetary and contractual obligations that would hamper the possibility of a move ever becoming a reality, it is undeniably rational from a basketball sense." Ya think?

Still I'm all in with Klaus. Let's get UConn to the ACC.:rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If ND football can be (to a significant degree) conference-independent because of its quality and national audience, while the rest of its athletic program is firmly in the ACC, then maybe UConn could be in the ACC for WCBB only, and stuck in the AAC for football and all other sports. That would certainly be in the interest of the WCBB program (better competition, better crowds, more revenue, maybe better recruiting although that seems to be a non-factor).

I'm not sure that the WCBB coaches currently in the ACC would be thrilled to have 1 or 2 near-automatic losses added to their schedule, but the better ones are playing UConn anyway in their non-conference schedule, and I'm not sure why the others (JPM excluded) would or should care. And it certainly would add to the market appeal of their games and their league.

Reaction Score
It's a myopic and self-serving view, but typical for ND because of its students, fans and alums overblown sense of self-importance. The whole notion that Connecticut should join the ACC, so maybe, just maybe, they could lose a conference game every once in a while is ridiculous. If the author had done some research he'd know Connecticut's record against ACC teams isn't much worse than against that of AAC teams. Ask Coach P. at Duke if she wants Connecticut in the ACC. I wonder if Klaus knows that ND has only lost 2 conference games since it joined the ACC. Someone should ask Klaus as well, what conference the ND Football team is a member of, since he believes conference membership is that important.
I read it quickly, but I thought it only mentioned WBB joining the ACC, not the rest of UConn's teams. Thought that was incredibly idiotic.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The author of that article is not exactly a credit to the vaunted Notre Dame education. What a moron.

Reaction Score
The real story is that UCONN would welcome an invitation to join. They are excluded because the football team cannot compete at that level. The basketball programs ( men and women ) absolutely want to compete in a division with more, high quality teams. That the article suggests the choice is up to UCONN makes no sense. They don't have that option.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The real story is that UCONN would welcome an invitation to join.
captain-obvious.jpg

Ya, think?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I read it quickly, but I thought it only mentioned WBB joining the ACC, not the rest of UConn's teams. Thought that was incredibly idiotic.
You thought it was idiotic because it would never happen, or because it would not be a good idea?

I fail to see why it would not be a good idea if it could happen. Certainly it would be good for the UConn women's basketball team, and every player would applaud if they could play an ACC conference schedule rather than the AAC schedule. So would all of us fans. So would the fans of many other ACC teams, who would like to see UConn play on their campus on a somewhat regular basis.

I also don't immediately grasp why there would be such opposition to the idea. Are you saying that the UConn administration would not want to join the ACC for a single sport, and would hold out until it was accepted for all sports? Why would they not take what they could get, especially if the revenue impact is minimal? Or are you saying that the ACC schools would oppose UConn entering for WCBB? Why -- because UConn would win too many games? That might concern the other WCBB coaches, but why should it concern the administrations of those schools? They would see revenue, TV dollars, media attention, and (if they are rational) think it is all good.

I would think there is a deal to be made here if the parties are rational and are willing to look at it.

Reaction Score
You thought it was idiotic because it would never happen, or because it would not be a good idea?

I fail to see why it would not be a good idea if it could happen. Certainly it would be good for the UConn women's basketball team, and every player would applaud if they could play an ACC conference schedule rather than the AAC schedule. So would all of us fans. So would the fans of many other ACC teams, who would like to see UConn play on their campus on a somewhat regular basis.

I also don't immediately grasp why there would be such opposition to the idea. Are you saying that the UConn administration would not want to join the ACC for a single sport, and would hold out until it was accepted for all sports? Why would they not take what they could get, especially if the revenue impact is minimal? Or are you saying that the ACC schools would oppose UConn entering for WCBB? Why -- because UConn would win too many games? That might concern the other WCBB coaches, but why should it concern the administrations of those schools? They would see revenue, TV dollars, media attention, and (if they are rational) think it is all good.

I would think there is a deal to be made here if the parties are rational and are willing to look at it.
It would make our basketball season more interesting, but it would not solve UConn's conference issue. Don't know what the revenue distribution would be for a WBB only member, but there is no revenue in WCBB anyway so it's a moot point. UConn athletics (including WBB) will still die a slow death with no P5 conference affiliation for football and MBB

Reaction Score
Obviously such a move has only one criteria that matters: football.

However, on a purely selfish note, I would be interested to see the evolution of the AAC in the next 5-10 years, if UConn stays. See if playing UConn (and playing in a conference where, by virtue of having UConn in it, WCBB matters) brings the level up significantly. It somewhat already has, in a remarkably short time. Kind of like what happened, in different and less teleological ways, in the Big East.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

Why? Navy joined our conference strictly for football. There is precedent.

Reaction Score

However, on a purely selfish note, I would be interested to see the evolution of the AAC in the next 5-10 years, if UConn stays. See if playing UConn (and playing in a conference where, by virtue of having UConn in it, WCBB matters) brings the level up significantly. It somewhat already has, in a remarkably short time. Kind of like what happened, in different and less teleological ways, in the Big East.
You can definitely see an improvement in the AAC WCBB teams the past couple of years. Maybe it's not obvious to the outsiders that don't see a difference between a 40 point and 60 point loss, but just the overall level of play. The first year of the AAC still included Rutgers and Louisville, but the second year was like playing high school teams. Now that these teams have seen UConn a bunch of times, you can tell the name on the front of the jersey no longer scares them. They all know what's coming because they see it twice a season. The end result may not be to their liking, but they are competing or at least trying to even late in the games. USF and Temple are OK on an annual basis. A few more good recruits into the league and you will see it's not that much worse than the other conferences where there is maybe one or two good teams at the top and the rest of the league might as well be East Carolina and Memphis.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
As I recall Boston College made such a stink about UConn being in the ACC, so that's why they are not in the ACC. The way Muffet McGraw is going, she might end up like Pat Summit and Tennessee. For a minute Geno and UConn wouldn't play Notre Dame, and ESPN along with the NCAA stepped in, so Geno agreed to play Notre Dame again. If Muffet McGraw keep talking, Notre Dame could end up in the same box as Tennessee, especially since they are not in the same conference.

No conference do not want UConn, because they know they will dominate the conference. All I can say is, instead of complaining about UConn, the other Coaches need to coach a little harder. In the AAC, Temple and South Florida are good and getting better. Tonya and Jose are coaching their teams, so that they can compete with UConn, and they are not complaining, and making unnecessary statements.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As I recall Boston College made such a stink about UConn being in the ACC, so that's why they are not in the ACC. The way Muffet McGraw is going, she might end up like Pat Summit and Tennessee. For a minute Geno and UConn wouldn't play Notre Dame, and ESPN along with the NCAA stepped in, so Geno agreed to play Notre Dame again. If Muffet McGraw keep talking, Notre Dame could end up in the same box as Tennessee, especially since they are not in the same conference.

Are you talking about the 2013-14 season, when UConn and Notre Dame didn't play in the regular season? Where did you get the info that it was a case of Geno refusing to play ND? That wasn't what I'd heard.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Are you talking about the 2013-14 season, when UConn and Notre Dame didn't play in the regular season? Where did you get the info that it was a case of Geno refusing to play ND? That wasn't what I'd heard.

I am not sure of the year, but they were no longer in the Big East. All I know is UConn beat Notre Dame, and Muffet was upset and started taking jabs at Geno in her interviews, and demanding "respect", and after that UConn wouldn't schedule games with Notre Dame. As a matter of fact Muffet had to make a public apology to Geno.

Reaction Score
I am not sure of the year, but they were no longer in the Big East. All I know is UConn beat Notre Dame, and Muffet was upset and started taking jabs at Geno in her interviews, and demanding "respect", and after that UConn wouldn't schedule games with Notre Dame. As a matter of fact Muffet had to make a public apology to Geno.

I don't think the bold is accurate at all. Plus I don't think you have your timelines right.

Reaction Score

I pray every day we get into power conference. Let someone else be a conference builder. I just hope someday UCONN can get into the P5.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
My only problem with the article is that it didn't list in the end in parenthesis and italics whether in fact the author does or does not have a relative named Santa.

Reaction Score
nd claims 22 conference championships? Including tournament and regular season, a quick count is 6 ACC and 4 Big East. Are the other 12 in the MCC?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Can't read all of the posts and haven't read the article. But
1. Yes ND sports and many of its fans have an overblown sense of their importance based on football idolatry starting 90 years ago and undeserving for the last 40.

2. When the last ACC expansion happened, UConn had just come out of one of its better football seasons, both basketball teams were successful, and UConn fb had beaten one of the schools that wound up being invited into the ACC. UConn likely the victim of Boston College opposition. UConn would jump on a heartbeat.

3. Navy football into the AAC is the product of a football league desparate for credibility.

4. UConn any team can't just opt into a league, they need an invite.

5. ND football being treated differently from other ND sports has to be financially based for the conferences that have agreed to the arrangement because otherwise ND sports including any other decent teams of theirs including women's hoops add no value to any big time league.

6. ND in any sport can't lose often enough for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom