ND Gets a 1st Place Vote | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND Gets a 1st Place Vote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I actually don't think it's that outlandish for ND to be voted #1, given that they are also undefeated and our injuries. With Morgan out, the possibility of Kaleena being out or not 100% for the rest of the season, and the short bench, is it really that unfathomable for a coach to think ND to be better than us?

Reaction Score
FYI and discussion purposes:

Chair - Amanda Butler, Florida (non-voting)
America East - Jennifer Rizzotti, Hartford
American Athletic - Jose Fernandez, South Florida
Atlantic 10 - Stephanie Gaitley, Fordham
Atlantic Coast - Joanne Boyle, Virginia
Atlantic Sun - Lynn Bria, Stetson
Big 12 - Bonnie Henrickson, Kansas
Big East - Susan Robinson-Fruchtl, Providence
Big Sky - Jaime White, Northern Colorado
Big South - Brenda Mock Kirkpatrick, UNC-Asheville
Big Ten - Suzy Merchant, Michigan State
Big West - Faith Mimnaugh, Cal Poly
Colonial Athletic - Krista Kilburn-Steveskey, Hofstra
Conference USA - Kellie Lewis-Jay, FAU
Horizon League - Kate Peterson Abiad, Cleveland State
Ivy League - Kathy Delaney-Smith, Harvard
Metro Atlantic Athletic - John Olenowski, Manhattan College
Mid-American - Sue Guevara, Central Michigan
Mid-Eastern Athletic - David Six, Hampton
Missouri Valley - Oties Epps, Evansville
Mountain West - Kathy Olivier, UNLV
Northeast - Joe Haigh, St. Francis, Pa.
Ohio Valley - Kevin McMillan, UT-Martin
Pac-12 - June Daugherty, Washington State
Patriot League - Dave Magarity, Army
Southeastern - Andy Landers, Georgia
Southern - Charlotte Smith, Elon
Southland - Brooks Donald-Williams, McNeese State
Southwestern Athletic - Tonya Edwards, Alcorn State
Summit League - Amy Williams, South Dakota
Sun Belt - Rick Insell, Middle Tennessee
West Coast - Jeff Judkins, BYU
Western Athletic - Joan Bonvicini, Seattle

http://www.wbca.org/about-us/wbca-leadership/committees/poll-di/

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
REALLY ? We are worried about ND getting one first place vote? We've been hearing the same crap for years. Can't anyone remember when the talking heads told us year after year that Uconn's record was meaningless because our " BIG EAST " was a weak sister. But these are the same heads that constantly rave about the same ACC, Big 12, SEC , etc. Frankly, I don't care who goes into the NCAA tournament as the " Overall One Seed ". They are trying to build interest going into the tournaments.
Who's worried?

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Who's worried?

What me worry?

Alfred_E._Neumann.jpg

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I actually don't think it's that outlandish for ND to be voted #1, given that they are also undefeated and our injuries. With Morgan out, the possibility of Kaleena being out or not 100% for the rest of the season, and the short bench, is it really that unfathomable for a coach to think ND to be better than us?
No, it's not unfathomable.

It is dumb.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
UConn will always suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous voting. Last year Baylor got one of the post-NC votes in the USA Today coaches poll to prevent a UConn sweep of the first place votes. Elon's Charlotte Smith still thought the Bears were the top team despite the Sweet 16 bow-out, and she could point to who had the best record instead of who won the NC. Most voters and fans did not agree with that reasoning.

Whether Smith is the culprit here is unknown, but they say some controversy can add spice to life. Eventually it will be just a trivia tidbit after the NC is settled.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Um yeah, but wasn't it pretty close for ND when they were up by 2 points against MD with 40 seconds left, though they later doubled the margin to 4? And a 7 point win for the Irish over a Virginia team that lost to pretty awful teams like Pitt and BC sounds less than comfy and not really the mark of a team that's the best in the country. But we all see things different ways.

???

I was just noting that the popular assumption in the BY seems to be that the Huskies blew away everyone. Baylor was not a blow-out. Simple fact.

Even DD agrees.

Bringing this up does not somehow imply that I think ND deserves that lone vote. I most certainly do not. How in hell did you read that into what I posted??
Bizarre.

I think the fact that every UConn game but one so far has been a total blowout is sufficient evidence the Huskies are tops, by 1,000 miles. Do we have to spin a fantasy (that every game was a blowout) too? Let's stick to facts, especially when they all favor UConn.

BTW, I think the prime reason Baylor was not a blowout was the unusually poor Huskies' accuracy on wide-open shots. Those nights happen, and they are the only way anyone can come close to beating the team, barring injury/illness/player suspension for bad behavior or the like. But horrendous shooting can infect even UConn. Remember the first half of the NC games vs. Stanford?

Whether it's possible for that kind of horrible shooting to arise in the tourney is the only possible drama regarding the outcome of this season.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Somebody had to eventually give a vote to ND.........UConn has dominated the polls from wire-to-wire. The TV buffs ( ESPN ; CBS ; etc) need someone to watch the games coming up at conference tournament time. They want to create buzz for the big NCAA Tournament coming up.....One way to do that is to create controversy as to who is the real #1.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
???

I was just noting that the popular assumption in the BY seems to be that the Huskies blew away everyone. Baylor was not a blow-out. Simple fact.

Even DD agrees.

Bringing this up does not somehow imply that I think ND deserves that lone vote. I most certainly do not. How in hell did you read that into what I posted??
Bizarre.

I think the fact that every UConn game but one so far has been a total blowout is sufficient evidence the Huskies are tops, by 1,000 miles. Do we have to spin a fantasy (that every game was a blowout) too? Let's stick to facts, especially when they all favor UConn.

BTW, I think the prime reason Baylor was not a blowout was the unusually poor Huskies' accuracy on wide-open shots. Those nights happen, and they are the only way anyone can come close to beating the team, barring injury/illness/player suspension for bad behavior or the like. But horrendous shooting can infect even UConn. Remember the first half of the NC games vs. Stanford?

Whether it's possible for that kind of horrible shooting to arise in the tourney is the only possible drama regarding the outcome of this season.
Even DD agrees?.......lol.

I do agree about the Baylor game. Unusually bad shooting on open shots. It's the only reason it was close. That and Nina Davis.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
???

Even DD agrees.

Bizarre.

I think the fact that every UConn game but one so far has been a total blowout is sufficient evidence the Huskies are tops, by 1,000 miles.
No it isn't bizarre. It is what happens on the internet (and in politics and a host of other places everyday). I don't know the word for it (if there is one), but this tendency to think there are only 2 possible opinions on any issue (top to bottom, right and wrong) without any variance in the details drives me nuts.

As to your blow-out comment, while it is a little general, it is exactly the reason I spoke about UConn as the #1 #1 seed in a different thread. Although, Notre Dame is extremely good.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No it isn't bizarre. It is what happens on the internet (and in politics and a host of other places everyday). I don't know the word for it (if there is one), but this tendency to think there are only 2 possible opinions on any issue (top to bottom, right and wrong) without any variance in the details drives me nuts.

As to your blow-out comment, while it is a little general, it is exactly the reason I spoke about UConn as the #1 #1 seed in a different thread. Although, Notre Dame is extremely good.
Ya lost me there, KB. Aren't there only two opinions on this discussion? Either ND deserved that vote or they didn't. What is the variance here?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Somebody had to eventually give a vote to ND....UConn has dominated the polls from wire-to-wire. The TV buffs ( ESPN ; CBS ; etc) need someone to watch the games coming up at conference tournament time. They want to create buzz for the big NCAA Tournament coming up.....One way to do that is to create controversy as to who is the real #1.
I think you far overestimate the ability of the networks to create buzz about women's basketball and also the amount of controversy that matters to anyone about whether or not UConn or Notre Dame is #1.

I don't think creating a controversy between UConn and ND fans is important; they are both going to be watching. The rest of us, don't really deep down care. I'm pretty certain that is a fact.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke throttles Maryland by 20.... also beats a ranked NC State squad..... yet Maryland jumps them by beating an unranked Ga Tech squad. I know ND throttled us.... but still

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Ya lost me there, KB. Aren't there only two opinions on this discussion? Either ND deserved that vote or they didn't. What is the variance here?
I was referring to the person who jumped on PacoSwede for commenting on the Baylor game as though that implied somehow that he was saying ND deserved the vote. That is, it is possible to believe that ND didn't deserve the vote and still proclaim that Baylor wasn't a blowout, or to simply claim that all games were blow-outs and thus ND didn't deserve the vote.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I was referring to the person who jumped on PacoSwede for commenting on the Baylor game as though that implied somehow that he was saying ND deserved the vote. That is, it is possible to believe that ND didn't deserve the vote and still proclaim that Baylor wasn't a blowout, or to simply claim that all games were blow-outs and thus ND didn't deserve the vote.
My head is spinning.

I'm sure you had a good point.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Even so, as I watched the Baylor game they never really felt like a threat. That is strange for me because I often fret over close games.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm sure there are some that think the fans in this thread are twisting their panties about this and the ESPN "conspiracy".

Not really. It's just something to talk about.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
All I know is that if a thread involves Notre Dame, A'ja Wilson, and an LV loss, it will inevitably expand out to 100+ posts and not be very fun.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Even DD agrees?..lol.

I do agree about the Baylor game. Unusually bad shooting on open shots. It's the only reason it was close. That and Nina Davis.

Nina Davis is not going away.
I like her a lot, top player, too bad she's not here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member