NCAA WBB Rules change proposals [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA WBB Rules change proposals [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone should remember that these are only proposed rules changes at this point. They may be approved by the Oversight Committee but that hasn't happened yet.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I'd miss the one-and-one.
It's a nice added dimension of needing to be good enough to make the first to get a chance at the second. Think of the games where that meant something.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Pretty silly. Just because you call a timeout, now you don't have to worry about a 10 sec violation? Absurd. And completely unfair to the defense.

Put another way, it's unfair to the team that has presumably made the plays to get ahead, and should not have to lose based on an artifice constructed so ESPN will have material for Sports Center.

Fair is fair. Sometimes the game is won before the final second.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...e-recommends-moving-womens-games-four-quarter

The last line is bothersome. They will allow recorded music (And / or band play) MORE frequently to enhance the "fan experience". From going to pro games I can say it's extremely annoying. If my ears ring the next day from fans screaming over an exciting game that's fine. When they ring the next day from arena music played way too loud that's not cool.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...e-recommends-moving-womens-games-four-quarter

The last line is bothersome. They will allow recorded music (And / or band play) MORE frequently to enhance the "fan experience". From going to pro games I can say it's extremely annoying. If my ears ring the next day from fans screaming over an exciting game that's fine. When they ring the next day from arena music played way too loud that's not cool.
But don't forget that at pro games, they play the music during the action. That is not being permitted, only sneaking in some during breaks.

I don't actually mind the music in the pro games, it is a different fan experience. I would hate that during the college game, I think.

Now, at college games, different arenas handle band vs. canned music differently. Some do it well (I think Arizona does) and others not so much.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

It is not possible to increase the already deafening volume of canned music at Gampel.

Reaction Score
Although from a personal standpoint, I see it as six of one, half a dozen of the other. Watching the game will be no different. From a game standpoint:
1. Assuming that there will be one media timeout per quarter, that would result in 2 fewer commercial breaks per game. the game itself would be faster, but would either be more expensive for advertisers or produce less revenue for the networks to, in turn, share with the schools.
2. Fewer bonus free throw stoppages likely rewards teams that foul more often/play aggressive defense/do not shoot free throws well.
3. If nothing else, fewer media timeouts is beneficial to a team that is in a good rhythm while forcing a team out of sync to utilize more timeouts; or at least think very hard about their utilization.

VAU: Very nicely done - keen.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
With the canned music - what about the bands? the UCONN band plays during every single break. I think canned music is dumb, unless there are no bands on site...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
My proposed new rule: UConn and Tennessee should be forced to resume the rivalry, with the venue for their first encounter being here:

image-3596060012.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc