NCAA WBB Rules change proposals [merged thread] | The Boneyard

NCAA WBB Rules change proposals [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
NCAA Women's BKB @NCAAWomensBKB · May 13
#WBBRules committee is meeting in Indianapolis. A major topic of discussion is changing play from 20-minute halves to 10-minute quarters.

NCAA Women's BKB @NCAAWomensBKB · May 14
#WBBRules committee rationale for changing timing to quarters: -Fewer bonus FT stoppages -Fewer media TOs -Aligns timing with other levels

More changes are needed but I like this idea.

Interesting that the response on twitter was negative mostly because people don't understand the advantages of quarters over halves. Sally Jenkins wrongly suggests that quarters would make the game slower

Sally Jenkins ‏@sallyjenx May 13
@NCAAWomensBKB Oh for God’s sake. The game doesn’t need to be SLOWER.

She's wrong. FIBA uses quarters and no one has accused FIBA games of being too slow. In fact, international games take less time to complete than college games. As mentioned in the second tweet, there would be fewer not more stoppages of play. Team fouls would reset with each quarter resulting in fewer FTs on common fouls.
Most basketball analysts/experts who are out there recommending changes in the college game mention quarters over halves. Both Geno and Jay Bilas agree it needs to happen.

Reaction Score
Is this because teams tire when they play UCONN?
They need breathers.

Reaction Score
Although from a personal standpoint, I see it as six of one, half a dozen of the other. Watching the game will be no different. From a game standpoint:
1. Assuming that there will be one media timeout per quarter, that would result in 2 fewer commercial breaks per game. the game itself would be faster, but would either be more expensive for advertisers or produce less revenue for the networks to, in turn, share with the schools.
2. Fewer bonus free throw stoppages likely rewards teams that foul more often/play aggressive defense/do not shoot free throws well.
3. If nothing else, fewer media timeouts is beneficial to a team that is in a good rhythm while forcing a team out of sync to utilize more timeouts; or at least think very hard about their utilization.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Change the shot clock on offensive rebounds to reset to 20 seconds instead of 30 seconds. Do you really need a full 3o seconds when the ball is in the offensive court already?

This is a rule FIBA instituted last year, resetting the clock to 14 seconds after an offensive rebound.

FIBA is so far ahead of the NCAA is making rule changes to speed up the game and reward better offensive execution.

Reaction Score
The biggest time waster is free throws. IMO they are to basketball what "school figures" were to ice skating. The huddles alone must add up to 10 minutes/game. My radical idea is that once a team is over the limit any foul would result in one ft and possession. It may take away the strategy of the intentional fouling but on the other hand it would speed up the last 3 minutes of many games. A foul in the act of shooting would result in a point and possession.

Look at how many games UConn played in 1:40, as opposed to those 2:20 50 foul games so common in the SEC?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Here's the article at the ncaa website which includes Geno's endorsement:

“What a great step forward for our game,” said University of Connecticut women’s basketball coach Geno Auriemma, who has led the Huskies to 10 national championships, a record in NCAA women’s basketball. “As the game becomes more global each year, it’s important that we start the process toward standardizing the rules. This is just the beginning of what I hope are many other changes to improve this great game.”

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...e-recommends-moving-womens-games-four-quarter

Under the proposal teams would reach the bonus to shoot two free throws (no more 1 and 1) after the fifth team foul in each quarter.
Media timeouts in televised games would be changed to one in each quarter (first dead ball under 5 minute mark) and at end of first and third quarters. This will mean 2 fewer stops in play.

The committee is also considering allow the ball to be advanced to front court following a timeout after a made basket in the last minute of the fourth quarter, and after securing the ball from a rebound or change of possession and calling a timeout before advancing the ball.

This is a good start.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I don't care if the game is halves or quarters, but I do want to comment on the idea that the game is slow.

The game is slow when it's a bad game – blowouts, two terribly sloppy teams playing, etc. All the rule changes in the world aren't going to make those games seem fast. On the other hand, a good game doesn't seem slow. In fact, some good games seem like they are over too fast.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The committee is also considering allow the ball to be advanced to front court following a timeout after a made basket in the last minute of the fourth quarter, and after securing the ball from a rebound or change of possession and calling a timeout before advancing the ball.
I hate that one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The committee also wants defenders to be allowed to place a forearm or an open hand with a bend in the elbow on an offensive post player with the ball whose back is to the basket.

Thank you, that zero contact rule was unrealistic.

Reaction Score
As mentioned in the second tweet, there would be fewer not more stoppages of play. Team fouls would reset with each quarter resulting in fewer FTs on common fouls.
Most basketball analysts/experts who are out there recommending changes in the college game mention quarters over halves.

But there are fewer stoppages of play with the proposed rule SOLELY because the extra resets for team fouls allow a lot more fouling before a team gets to the line, thus reducing the penalty for excessive fouling. If the NCAA wants to speed up the game by having less FT's, they could accomplish exactly the same thing with the current structure simply by changing the number of fouls before a team shoots one-and-one from 7 to 10 or 12 or whatever. In any event, with the proposed rule, we will probably see more fouling since teams will often not be in one-and-one situations.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
But there are fewer stoppages of play with the proposed rule SOLELY because the extra resets for team fouls allow a lot more fouling before a team gets to the line, thus reducing the penalty for excessive fouling. If the NCAA wants to speed up the game by having less FT's, they could accomplish exactly the same thing with the current structure simply by changing the number of fouls before a team shoots one-and-one from 7 to 10 or 12 or whatever. In any event, with the proposed rule, we will probably see more fouling since teams will often not be in one-and-one situations.

I don't understand all of what you've said in this paragraph but I don't agree there will be more fouling. The 1-and-1 will be gone. Teams will be in the double bonus on the 5th foul in each quarter. There should be a greater incentive not to foul.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I hate that one.

I like it a lot. In tight games it will provide teams with a greater chance to make a last second shot to tie or win a game. That's a good thing.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I like it a lot. In tight games it will provide teams with a greater chance to make a last second shot to tie or win a game. That's a good thing.

If we want artificial rules to unfairly create close finishes, why not give 5 points for any basket scored in the last 10 seconds? Or make the team that is ahead play with only four players? Those would also give teams a greater chance to tie or win a game. That's not necessarily a good thing.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If we want artificial rules to unfairly create close finishes, why not give 5 points for any basket scored in the last 10 seconds? Or make the team that is ahead play with only four players? Those would also give teams a greater chance to tie or win a game. That's not necessarily a good thing.

Except none of your deliberately absurd suggestions exist in other platforms. Advancing the ball after a timeout during the last minute is allowed in the NBA, WNBA and FIBA. This change is hardly absurd or radical.

Reaction Score
Except none of your deliberately absurd suggestions exist in other platforms. Advancing the ball after a timeout during the last minute is allowed in the NBA, WNBA and FIBA. This change is hardly absurd or radical.
Fair enough but why not allow it during the whole game then? I'm not a huge fan of advancing the ball like that, but if its going to happen do it for the whole game. I don't particularly like having different sets of rules depending on the clock.

Reaction Score
Change the shot clock on offensive rebounds to reset to 20 seconds instead of 30 seconds. Do you really need a full 3o seconds when the ball is in the offensive court already?
I can't tell you how many times I clocked UConn after a defensive rebound where the ball was through the hoop in just 3 seconds, 4 if they were being lazy.

Reaction Score
I like the rule change to a four quarter format. It mirrors the pro game, high school, and international play. This is good for the game.

Reaction Score
After reading the new rule changes I think it will speed up the game and make it a better game to watch. I have always had trouble with the defensive play out front being so picky with touch fouls while the post play is like a combat zone. When you see post players pushed and shoved and smacked around on right in front of the referee and they ignore that I am thinking a foul is a foul. There are times when the offensive player is just as guilty with shoving to get an advantage. With the new suggestion it appears that the post play may become more of a combat zone.

Reaction Score
OTOH there may be more fouling since the penalty is less. No?

In the new rules, there are no 1-and-1s - you go straight to two shots upon reaching 5 fouls in the quarter. So it's a bigger penalty because there are currently situations where fouling to get a 1-and-1 is actually a pretty good bet to prevent a bad FT shooter from scoring at all.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pretty silly. Just because you call a timeout, now you don't have to worry about a 10 sec violation? Absurd. And completely unfair to the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom